Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A thought on Thorin's generosity and Gandalf's wisdom

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 22 2013, 11:46pm

Views: 1057
Shortcut
A thought on Thorin's generosity and Gandalf's wisdom Can't Post

We have had lots of discussions on the Dragon Sickness and Thorin's greed - now I would like to touch on Thorin's generosity and its implications for Middle Earth. I looked through a lot of old threads but didn't see one like this. SOOOO hope I'm not duplicating. Anyway...

When they are in the lower hall, exploring the piles of gold, Thorin cries "Mr. Baggins! Here is the first payment of your reward! Cast off your coat and put on this!" It is the mithril coat that Frodo will wear so many years later, when he is saved from death by the amazing item, instead of being made into a Hobbit skeish-kebab. So... if Frodo is meant to be the Ringbearer (here we have Gandalf's divine sight in the matter) and this task truly is his as the heir to Bilbo, the Ring-finder, then we can say that the gift, in secondary intention, saved Middle Earth.

Thorin's generosity in the gift was not only in its material and monetary value (more than the Shire), but I feel it has extremely important cultural significance given the Dwarves' close relationship with mithril and the hardships and unbelievable loss they have been through the millennia in gaining it. It is also not a gift of vanity or decoration, but the purpose of the gift shows the level of regard: it is meant to save your life. Even if it was part of the 1/14 share, it is still an amazing gift from a Dwarf just coming back into his people's own again. Somehow to me it feels like an impulsive, affectionate act though; not just a payment of a debt, because of its meaning.

Two unrelated tangents, brought together by the far sight of Gandalf: the heart of Thorin softened to magnificent generosity by the good soul of Bilbo.

I'm using all text themes here, but feel free to talk about film canon too. Would love to see some of your thoughts on this.Smile

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Feb 22 2013, 11:47pm)

Subject User Time
A thought on Thorin's generosity and Gandalf's wisdom Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 22 2013, 11:46pm
    It wouldn't have fit, anyway. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Feb 23 2013, 12:34am
    Love your idea on Thorin's generosity! GloryBox Send a private message to GloryBox Feb 23 2013, 1:41am
        Thanks Glory Box! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 23 2013, 4:26pm
    neat insight... swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Feb 23 2013, 5:45am
        Complexity Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 23 2013, 4:30pm
        Exactly! Slim Send a private message to Slim Feb 24 2013, 1:49pm
            That's why he feels real Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 24 2013, 3:49pm
                well said... swordwhale Send a private message to swordwhale Feb 24 2013, 8:47pm
                    Thanks Swordwhale! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 24 2013, 10:42pm
    An impulsive, generous gift (*book spoilers*) Angharad73 Send a private message to Angharad73 Feb 23 2013, 8:01am
        Me too Angharad!!!!! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 23 2013, 4:40pm
            My thoughts exactly Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Feb 23 2013, 6:29pm
                I can't wait... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 23 2013, 11:09pm
    Great thoughts, Brethil. Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Feb 23 2013, 10:17pm
        Thanks, Ro Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 23 2013, 11:21pm
            yes I think we will see the Thorin we love Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Feb 23 2013, 11:57pm
                RA and MF Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 24 2013, 12:15am
        mithril shirt Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Feb 24 2013, 5:51am
            You summed up completely Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 24 2013, 3:44pm
                Even Bilbo believed in Thorin Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Feb 24 2013, 4:13pm
                    True he did Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 24 2013, 4:24pm
    the coat axecrazy Send a private message to axecrazy Feb 24 2013, 4:36pm
        Interesting. You reverse-engineered it Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 24 2013, 5:09pm
    Doesn't this thought belong rather in the Reading Room? sador Send a private message to sador Feb 26 2013, 6:51am
        Thank you for the link! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 27 2013, 12:43am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.