Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Where Middle-Earth might go next for movies...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Shire

Feb 22 2013, 2:35pm

Post #1 of 28 (1698 views)
Where Middle-Earth might go next for movies... Can't Post

Let's forget the limitations on 'rights' to the novels and materials for film-makers.

If rights were no issue, which other (besides Hobbit and LOTR) areas of Middle-earth history would make good films and why?

Don't just say The Silmarillion- be specific...

EG -

Beren & Luthien movie
The Children Of Hurin movie
The Fall of Gondolin movie

Which particular areas of the books and wealth of materials would make potentially great movies. Any why do you think so?

You can even explain how you think the movie would pan out.

Go on - it's fun!

Feb 22 2013, 2:46pm

Post #2 of 28 (1186 views)
Feanor and his sons [In reply to] Can't Post

That should yield a trilogy, at the very least!

Seriously, though, the whole story of Feanor from the making of the Silmarils is something that I would love to see in movie form. I find this guy rather fascinating.

Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2013, 2:58pm

Post #3 of 28 (1113 views)
If the rights were of no issue [In reply to] Can't Post

I could definitely see all three of those. I would love to see them, the whole Beren and Luthien story would be just terrific.

I've always wanted to see Gondolin on the big screen. I think it would be epic also.

Feb 22 2013, 3:06pm

Post #4 of 28 (1133 views)
They (PJ and co) should go back [In reply to] Can't Post

And film the bits they missed the first time round. I'd love to see the Hobbits with Bombadil and Goldberry. A scene with Ghan would be great. And they could easily edit the end of ROTK to including Scouring. Evil

I don't really want a Silmarillion film, so I wouldn't say that. A short about Mewlips would also be terribly exciting.

Feb 22 2013, 3:07pm

Post #5 of 28 (1109 views)
This.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Children Of Hurin movie would be a great adaptation to film. I just love the story, drama, etc..

The Shire

Feb 22 2013, 3:11pm

Post #6 of 28 (1079 views)
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

Would be dark as hell.

It's my nomination for a future adaption!

Feb 22 2013, 5:38pm

Post #7 of 28 (1002 views)
Yeah! I fantasized about this in some other topic with someone [In reply to] Can't Post

When you think about it, it would have completely diffrent tone to any fantasy movie, they could add pieces to it from other Tolkien's works too, but the main story would be so dark, sad and pitiful.

Imagine that, a whole movie like the Alan Lee cover;

Maybe I will make it... one day...

Pessimists have no disappointments.

Feb 22 2013, 6:35pm

Post #8 of 28 (1102 views)
Potential future movies? [In reply to] Can't Post

Beren & Luthien movie

I'd make it a Silmarillion four-parter - though each 'part' may need more than one movie. :

Beren & Luthien movie
Eärendil movie.

I'd treat history before the arrival of Men as legend - perhaps some of it would be shown in flashbacks - otherwise we'd probably need around twenty movies..

They could probably also do a movie about the fall of Númenor featuring Amandil, a young Elendil, and his sons.

After that we could have a Witch-King of Angmar film (or two) depicting the fall of Arnor (Arvedui, Malbeth, etc) and the loss of the Kings of Gondor and the rise of the Stewards. It would also be a nice touch to involve the early ancestors of the Rohirrim. For that matter we could see the beginnings of Shire - I imagine the original Hobbits in that chaotic era may not have been quite as peaceful as their descendants.

However, my current favourite idea for the next Middle-Earth movie would be something about the War in the North. The characters of the Hobbit Trilogy will likely have gained increased popularity by the time the final movie is released, so New Line might as well strike while the iron is hot (and while the actors are available) and start preparing films about the 'newest' heroes of Middle-Earth set during the War of the Ring (those that are still around, that is). (I'd like to see a cameo of Gandalf awakening for the first time as the White Wizard in Lorien (that staff of his could be Galadriel's gift to him - it does look somewhat Elven)).

There may also eventually a film (or films) about the Blue Wizards set in the more unknown nations of Middle-Earth. It wouldn't be Tolkien as we know it, but movie Middle-Earth is a goldmine that most likely will not be abandoned by the studios any time soon.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

(This post was edited by Hanzkaz on Feb 22 2013, 6:40pm)

Feb 22 2013, 7:21pm

Post #9 of 28 (942 views)
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

This would make a good set of stories to be made into a trilogy. It's such a big world, limiting the scope would be the issue.

Feb 22 2013, 8:35pm

Post #10 of 28 (950 views)
Aldarion & Erendis: The Mariner's Wife [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh how I long to see this beautifully tragic tale brought to the silver screen. I think it has such potential to be an amazing character piece, but it would have to be done very skillfully. We'd have to see the characters fall in love and then out of love. We'd really have to care for them as characters and understand their motives and such. It would be wonderful.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2013, 8:50pm

Post #11 of 28 (920 views)
And shot on film! [In reply to] Can't Post

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Feb 22 2013, 9:01pm

Post #12 of 28 (904 views)
I would be more than happy with that!// [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2013, 9:21pm

Post #13 of 28 (924 views)
I'd see Beren and Luthien as the most likely [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a good romance, with a good baddie, and a dog. All the ingredients for a great film.

Storm clouds

Feb 22 2013, 10:01pm

Post #14 of 28 (871 views)
Love the how you highlight the dog aspect! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't thought about that, but it really does seem to be an audience enticer.

Feb 22 2013, 10:13pm

Post #15 of 28 (870 views)
It wouldn't matter to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

... as long as I could see Feanor's beauty, lust and greed, Gondolin, armies of Dragons and Balrogs, Glorfindel's battle with the Balrog, Sauron as the "lesser" big baddie Lt. of Morgoth, Huan, Glaurung and of course the battle this is my sig pic between Fingolfin and Morgoth. The possibilities are unfortunately endless... sad we may never see them realized on the big screen.

Superuser / Moderator

Feb 22 2013, 10:27pm

Post #16 of 28 (853 views)
Yes, I think this is the most audience-friendly, [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'd love to see Beren and Luthien falling in love.

I'd also like to see the story of King of Angmar being seduced by a Ring of Power and becoming the Witch-king, and the eventual destruction of the realms in the North (and the creation of the Barrow-downs).

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Feb 23 2013, 12:59am

Post #17 of 28 (851 views)
I think the entire Silmarillion as An HBO series, of 12 episodes or so would be [In reply to] Can't Post

the best format by far.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Feb 23 2013, 2:22am

Post #18 of 28 (834 views)
alternatives to film [In reply to] Can't Post

I have long thought the Tale of Turambar would make a fantastic opera -- it even sounds like an opera. Apparently, the plot is very similar to an already existing famous opera (name escapes me right now -- anyone know it?)

The tale of Beren & Luthien would make a beautiful ballet seeing as how he first sees her dancing in the woods. Perhaps the Tolkien Estate would not be so averse to these alternate adaptation ideas.

Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2013, 5:49am

Post #19 of 28 (795 views)
I have to go with... [In reply to] Can't Post

...The Children of Hurin.

I have no idea why I love this. But I have read it multiple times by ploughing and searching through parts of Unfinished Tales, The Silmarillion and Lost Tales. I love that they finally put it in one book (with Alan Lee illlos no less).

Perhaps because Beleg Cuthalion is one of my all time favorite Tolkien characters: the ultimate Faithful Sidekick, who sacrifices all for someone he keeps believing in, even when logic says he should pack it up and run.

Go outside and play...

Grey Havens

Feb 23 2013, 8:50am

Post #20 of 28 (786 views)
How about the Scouring of the Shire? [In reply to] Can't Post

Was just chatting with my neighbor, who's a reasonably good Tolkien fan, about this this evening. He reckons the Scouring ought to make a good movie just on its own. Not sure I agree -- there's enough griping about turning The Hobbit into 9 hours of movie; the griping about turning a chapter of LOTR into a whole movie would be deafening. Still, interesting idea.

I'd like to see the tale of Beren and Luthien brought to the big screen. It could be every bit as fantastic as LOTR if done well. An epic romance, a villain who makes Sauron look like a nice warm bubble bath, an amazingly evil giant wolf and a sentient talking dog, a hero arguably braver and more valiant than anyone we've seen so far, a really strong heroine (!) -- has all the makings of a compelling, engaging epic movie right on par with LOTR.

Grey Havens

Feb 23 2013, 9:33am

Post #21 of 28 (767 views)
Just what I was thinking! [In reply to] Can't Post

And the more I consider it, the more I really think it could be a great, epic movie on par with LOTR. Wouldn't it be fun to see this brought to the big screen in another ten years?

Ereinion Nénharma

Feb 23 2013, 9:51am

Post #22 of 28 (769 views)
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen the Akallabeth named (much) yet here.

I think that would make a absolutely stunning movie. Kind of like a Middle Earth version of Schindler's List almost. Plus, a lot more background story would be added to Sauron's portrayal in TH and LOTR as an 'ancient evil'. A terrible power responsible for mass murder and the destruction of an entire continent.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Feb 23 2013, 1:24pm

Post #23 of 28 (762 views)
I would like to see [In reply to] Can't Post

the 'History of the Silmarils' on the big screen. It would be visually and emotionally spectacular!
Not sure if this could work as a trilogy or a movie series ,but I guess the most important elements of these stories could fit in there.

More or less, I imagine the 'Silmarillion series' like this:

First movie: Prologue with the music of the Ainur , creation of the Silmarils,the story of Feanor.
Second movie: Beren and Luthien
Third movie:Children of Hurin
Fourth movie: Fall of Gondolin
Fifth movie: Earendil's voyage

Wishful thinking ,but I sincerely hope we get to see more of Middle earth in the future, I don't want it to end...

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2013, 2:27pm

Post #24 of 28 (752 views)
It would be [In reply to] Can't Post

But I can't see the Estate ever giving up the rights, sadly.

Storm clouds

Feb 23 2013, 10:03pm

Post #25 of 28 (728 views)
Limiting myself to just films derived from 'TH' and LotR' [In reply to] Can't Post

I can imagine two or three movies just on the life and adventures of Aragorn leading up to his first meeting Frodo in Bree. The first would cover his childhood and his earliest adventures with the sons of Elrond ending either at his twentieth birthday or (alternately) the circumstances under which he first meets Gandalf at age twenty-five.

The second movie would cover the period of Aragorn's "great journeys and erranatries, during which he would serve both Thengel of Rohan and Ecthelion II of Gondor under the false name of Thorongil. At the end, Theoden would become King of Rohan and Aragorn would be reunited with Arwen in Lothlorien.

Any third film would cover Aragorn's later adventures as Strider, most especially the Hunt for Gollum. However, I'm not sure that this period really has enough material concerning Aragorn for a satisfying movie. It might be better to just let it be (something some would say about the entire project, I am sure).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.