Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
I finally got to go on a hike last weekend.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 20 2013, 6:46pm

Post #1 of 13 (162 views)
Shortcut
I finally got to go on a hike last weekend. Can't Post

It's been a long time since we got to the mountains, for one reason and another. Last Saturday I got up to the park and went on a solo hike while Uncle Baggins was at a model railroad convention in Estes Park. I went to Cub Lake, which was in the burn area from the Fern Lake fire that burned last fall, from October through December. I think there may still be some smoldering beneath the snow; it sure smelled like smoke, but maybe that was because of the ashes. Anyway, here are my photos. For some reason Photobucket reversed the order, but that doesn't really matter.

Uncle Baggins found a before photo from almost the same place as one of my after photos It's pretty interesting to see the contrast.

I was a little worried about slipping on the ice, but the only place I came close to falling was when I stepped off the trail to take a photo and unexpectedly stepped into six inches of soft ashes that I thought was hard ground. I came back from my hike looking like Cinderella, with ashes on my face and hands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Feb 20 2013, 6:49pm)

ryouko
Lorien

Feb 21 2013, 2:27am

Post #2 of 13 (113 views)
Shortcut
Lovely! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think being covered in ash was worth the pictures you got! That's just my humble opinion. Thanks for sharing these! ^_^

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 21 2013, 3:10am

Post #3 of 13 (105 views)
Shortcut
What happened to the stream? [In reply to] Can't Post

In the before and after photos - the stream is gone! Unsure

I'm saddened by the lack of considerable snow cover more than by the burned vegetation. The land needs that moisture to help heal itself - is it really as dry as it seems?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 21 2013, 3:14am

Post #4 of 13 (94 views)
Shortcut
It was actually flooding in the first photo [In reply to] Can't Post

which was taken a couple of years ago in May. The "stream" is the trail. For several days the trail was closed and impassible due to flooding. Then this winter it was closed due to fire.

Yes, it's very dry up there this year. There should be a couple of feet of snow at least.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 21 2013, 6:59am

Post #5 of 13 (95 views)
Shortcut
Such a beautiful sight [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the photo of the bare trees against the snow. Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 21 2013, 9:22am

Post #6 of 13 (123 views)
Shortcut
Lovely photos [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for sharing. Are there any fires that are still burning, or have they all died down during the winter? The before and after images are so striking. It shouldn't take too long for the grass to grow back.

On a very unrelated note, I'm trying to find a free image hosting website to upload my South Georgia pictures on to. I've linked to facebook pictures in previous posts, and I've uploaded some onto ImageShack, but I'm finding it almost impossible to make it do what I want. Do you recommend Photobucket?

Smile

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 21 2013, 7:51pm

Post #7 of 13 (83 views)
Shortcut
I've been using Photobucket for years [In reply to] Can't Post

and I've been pretty happy with it, though it does sometimes do goofy things like reverse the order of the photos. There's a way to rearrange them, but I don't usually bother. You can set it to slideshow mode, or just have people scroll through. I would love to see your photos!

As far as I know the major fires are out, but new ones flare up all the time, though they're quickly put out. It is bone dry here. We had a little snow today, but it'll be gone in a day or two.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Feb 21 2013, 11:19pm

Post #8 of 13 (74 views)
Shortcut
Been off the boards--are you back, I'm guessing? :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket will not display on my Mac anymore, even on Firefox and Chrome. I have no idea why. But Picasa and Flickr both work for me, and I think they're just as easy.

Do you have a "Well, I'm back" post anywhere? I've been AWOL for awhile . . .Blush

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Feb 21 2013, 11:21pm

Post #9 of 13 (82 views)
Shortcut
Oddly enough, [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't get anything to display on the first link, but the second 2 work fine! That does look extremely dry--but still so gorgeous. I'm "homesick" for my favorite of all places!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Feb 21 2013, 11:23pm

Post #10 of 13 (70 views)
Shortcut
Ah, the old [In reply to] Can't Post

"is it a stream or a trail" phenomenon! I had no idea until Aunt Dora posted, as I've only been there once, long ago.

How I ope they get a ton of snow form now until spring!Evil

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 22 2013, 5:48am

Post #11 of 13 (63 views)
Shortcut
I really love to dwell on your views [In reply to] Can't Post

Starting on the bottom (beginning) with #1543, i could not move on for several minutes. There is so much serenity in that one, i pretended i was a bump on a log taking it all in.

The advancing telephoto with #1511-15134-1514 was just awesome. I love the sentinel trees below the mountain.

And the clouds over the mountain was a fine ending for meSmile I could see them move...

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 22 2013, 8:37am

Post #12 of 13 (82 views)
Shortcut
You haven't missed anything Ethel Duath :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I was going to make a thread once I have written everything up, but that might not be for a while yet. After Aunt Dora's advice (and realising I already had a Photobucket account), I've uploaded my pictures there, and was going to share the link at Friday Fiesta. If you can't see them I've also uploaded them onto Imageshack, so I can send you that link as well.

Smile

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Feb 22 2013, 3:57pm

Post #13 of 13 (59 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you're back safely! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I bet you miss it!

Yes, it would be great if you could include that link to imageshack. I usually can't see stuff on photobucket.

Can't wait!Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.