Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Ah That's a Way to Spend a Thursday afternoon!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2013, 2:11am

Post #1 of 37 (956 views)
Shortcut
Ah That's a Way to Spend a Thursday afternoon! Can't Post

I took the afternoon off and went to see The Hobbit. Only two showtimes now at my theatre. It was worth the time and cash to do it. I love this movie. Just kick back and find myself smiling throughout the movie. Just smiling and forgetting the cares of life. Now that's how it should work with a film.

Martin: Love you. Great performance you adorable Hobbit you. Nice clothes, great facial expressions (well it is Martin Freeman after all) and I just want to hug and squeeze you. Richard: Nice job on with Thorin. Yes after my 8th time seeing it I just still love PJ's Thorin Oakenshield. Well..he's a little dirty so I don't know about hugging him. Maybe after the bath in the river. Still you are noble, heroic and a loyal leader and you did Thorin right. Love you. Ian - You ARE Gandalf the Grey. There is no other. It's like putting on a comfortable pair of shoes. Gandalf always is a joy to see and only Ian now is Gandalf. No other. Jimmy Nesbitt. you crack me up. Just love your little convo with Bilbo there in the mountain. You are such a down to earth dwarf and a kind heart. Ken-- thanks for the absolutely wonderful performance with Balin. You are the sage of the dwarfs, the elder statesman and grandpa, stern when you need to be and yet keeps the company together. Love your tears there after Azanulbizar. That was touching. And you have mad sword skills for a dwarf your age. Love it.

Anyway, I know it will be leaving the cinema here probably this weekend. There were only about 15 of us in the audience but I sure enjoyed it still the same. Rock on and bring on Desolation of Smaug!

Tintallë
Gondor

Feb 22 2013, 3:04am

Post #2 of 37 (539 views)
Shortcut
Last night, after my last viewing [In reply to] Can't Post

I was the only one who didn't leave right away - I stayed for the Misty Mountains song - and when I walked through the theater to the exit there was not a soul to be seen anywhere. It was kind of eerie. It was 12:45 a.m. and mine was one of two cars in the parking lot - and the other one was way, way far away. I've never had quite that experience before. Did the theater personnel just pack up and leave, figuring I'd find my way out?

There were only 3 other people at The Hobbit and they were all totally absorbed in the movie. It was wonderful!

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 22 2013, 3:09am

Post #3 of 37 (510 views)
Shortcut
I remember all you had left was a late show [In reply to] Can't Post

Went at 3pm today. Only about ten total but every single person stayed for all the credits. Think cleaners thougth we were nuts.

You are right Ham Sammy! Hope to do it again Saturday.

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

GloryBox
Bree

Feb 22 2013, 3:14am

Post #4 of 37 (502 views)
Shortcut
You said it better than I could. [In reply to] Can't Post

My last viewing was today. It's gone. Had that same feeling as you did, sitting in a big stadium with about 8 others, and I was smiling through every scene. At least one person was laughing at all the great moments like it was the first time for him. Right now one of the scenes I'm remembering is Thorin's eagle, wings and talons filling the whole screen, Shore's sountrack filling the theater, and the rescue that will eventually lead us to Beorn's house. And the next part of the adventure -- getting to know the characters better and better. Not in a hurry to move on to Bo5A. I'd just like to spend as much time with the Company as possible.

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

(This post was edited by GloryBox on Feb 22 2013, 3:16am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2013, 3:34am

Post #5 of 37 (476 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm trying not to think about TABA. I just want to enjoy the moment. you are right though so many great moments. I loved the Eagles. Very much. What a great scene. I loved all of Freeman's scenes as Bilbo. I hope he gets an acting nomination by the time the films are done. I won't hold my breath but I hope he does.

The music was great. The whole ride was just fun. I just smiled..as you said. Just smiled through the whole thing, I want it to last forever.

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 22 2013, 4:01am

Post #6 of 37 (481 views)
Shortcut
Agreed big time! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going again tomorrow for my 10th viewing and I can not get bored with this movie. Such a wonderful cast, you said it perfectly.
It looks like I still have at least one more week in my area, hooray!

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

cats16
Valinor

Feb 22 2013, 4:09am

Post #7 of 37 (485 views)
Shortcut
It's so saddening [In reply to] Can't Post

reading these posts, because it has been out of my viewing area for a couple of weeks now. I wish I had gone to see it in theaters one last time, in HFR. But, the dvd release isn't far away. Since the last time I saw it was before the new year, it should feel very fresh when viewing in my living room.

GloryBox
Bree

Feb 22 2013, 4:24am

Post #8 of 37 (453 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope MF gets a nomination. His performance has been amazing, and I can't wait to see more. One of my favorite parts of the eagles/defending Thorin scene is when Bilbo finds his hobbit battle cry! Fierce!

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

Bellerock
Rivendell

Feb 22 2013, 4:39am

Post #9 of 37 (447 views)
Shortcut
One last time. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope to go again tomorrow for one last viewing. Unfortunately the movie is only showing at something like 11:00 a.m. or 9:00 p.m. Neither time is ideal, but I may just have to take off work to catch the morning show.

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 22 2013, 4:42am

Post #10 of 37 (483 views)
Shortcut
Well oddly enough (and much to my delight) [In reply to] Can't Post

it went from playing only once a day to three times a day starting Friday! I went last weekend (for my...um...twenty-first viewing) and there were at least 50 people in the theater, much to my surprise! And several of them obviously had not seen it before! So maybe the theater management decided that since it was getting a fair crowd still, it would offer more showtimes. I am rather astounded, since I've never heard of a theater going from less screenings to more, especially given how long it's been playing. Of course it still is only playing at the one theater, but nevertheless....

And of course I will be going again this weekend! I just love getting transported to and transfixed by this incredible world, characters and story, and I hope there are still a fair number of people there. Not that I like being in crowds, but because if there are enough people still going, then it will stick around longer (and thus contribute to my unending and continuing enjoyment of the movie). And it will make more money, which I hope it does.

You know what really makes this movie for me? Yes, the tale is wonderful, as is the book it is based upon. Yes, the sets and locations and special effects are marvelous to behold. But it's what they - PJ, the writers, the costumers, the make-up artists - have done with the characters and the fantastic actors who have brought them to life for us that make this film one that I can't get enough of. Even after so many viewings, I still am filled with joy watching it. I smile just thinking about the movie. And that is something that I can't say about the other films out there.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

GloryBox
Bree

Feb 22 2013, 4:56am

Post #11 of 37 (451 views)
Shortcut
"filled with joy" -- You said it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel the same, and I wish I could thank everyone who helped create this special gift of a film. Every time the credits roll, I look at the hundreds and hundreds of names and think -- I'm grateful to each and every one of you.

Tintallë
Gondor

Feb 22 2013, 5:09am

Post #12 of 37 (434 views)
Shortcut
I agree 100% with that last bit! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never expected to be so in love with this movie and these characters but I am, in a way I was not with LOTR - all the more odd since it was LOTR I'd read over and over again since childhood and The Hobbit very few times - maybe three.

The love and care that went into creating this world and these characters shines through all the little bits we pick apart. I really love watching this movie! Last night I just couldn't stop smiling, even before it started! I was grinning like a crazy fool!

GloryBox
Bree

Feb 22 2013, 5:35am

Post #13 of 37 (421 views)
Shortcut
You'll have the thrill [In reply to] Can't Post

of getting reaquainted with all the bits you love -- and exploring all the new details with your Pause and Slow buttons! I'll probably wear out the buttons on my own remote!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2013, 5:56am

Post #14 of 37 (420 views)
Shortcut
and me... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I feel the same, and I wish I could thank everyone who helped create this special gift of a film. Every time the credits roll, I look at the hundreds and hundreds of names and think -- I'm grateful to each and every one of you.

... I am one of those who sit through every credit roll... I write, I commit art, and it is a solo process. I see all those names on the screen and I realize what a massive task a film is.

One guy found a blank piece of paper amongst the student papers he was grading and wrote those immortal words... in a hole in the ground...

...but it takes hundreds of folks to bring those words to life.

I often am the last one standing in the theater, as everyone leaves before the credits are over. I often go to late shows, and ma the last car standing as well... and fairly often have the entire theater to myself during the show. Hmmm, like my own giant screen TV...

Now, for the DVD.

Go outside and play...

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 22 2013, 12:24pm

Post #15 of 37 (376 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I never expected to be so in love with this movie and these characters but I am, in a way I was not with LOTR - all the more odd since it was LOTR I'd read over and over again since childhood and The Hobbit very few times - maybe three.

The love and care that went into creating this world and these characters shines through all the little bits we pick apart. I really love watching this movie! Last night I just couldn't stop smiling, even before it started! I was grinning like a crazy fool!

I saw it in 48 HFR (probably for the last time because it has disappeared in this format) on Wednesday (London). There were 55 to 60 people in the cinema, from children to elderly couples, all enjoying the film and laughing at the Dwarf scenes in Bag End and Bilbo's antics, Troll scenes, Radagast, etc. Some children were running around in the aisles with mock swords (luckily once the film had finished).

I thought that was it for London, but notice that it is still showing at the Odeon in Leicester Square (sadly only in 3D), so will probably catch it during next week. I know we will see it on DVD, but this is definitely not the same as seeing it on the big screen.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Feb 22 2013, 12:25pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2013, 2:30pm

Post #16 of 37 (347 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you got to see it in HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it in HFR 3D several times. Enjoyed it. Also in IMAX format which was tremendous. Unfortunately all that was left here was regular 2D but I'll take it. It's fine. I just had such a serendipitous time sitting in the cinema, smiling and enjoying myself. I bet my blood pressure dropped 40 pts which my doctor would just love.

I need to get it on DVD when it comes out. I was going to wait for the EE but I think I'll buy the regular one also to tide me over till those are released.

You're right though, not the same as in the cinema. Glad I got one last viewing in and I did indeed sit till the credits rolled. That's a lot of hard work there and all of them deserve so much kudos for it.

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 23 2013, 1:14am

Post #17 of 37 (270 views)
Shortcut
I didn't think it would still be around, but it is! [In reply to] Can't Post

I went last night to a 7:00 HFR showing, even though I have a huge paper due and had to work in the morning. So what! And my friend and I were the only two in the theater, which was awesome, and we stayed for the entirety of the closing credits, which was also awesome.

Some of my latest takeaways (viewing #12):

--if you get a chance, watch for the look on Bombur's face when Ori belches in Bag End. Not only is it hilarious, it keeps you from focusing on Ori belching.

--I have caused my friend to develop Kazinsky Vision™ as we spent way more time during the movie looking for him and/or the non-Dean Fili double. I must stop this, because I miss a lot of other things (although it is an interesting exercise in left brain/right brain training).

--I am sure someone has answered this on another thread, but what are all those orcs doing running around in broad daylight? And why did I just notice this now?

--Still can't find Bolg at Azanulbizar. And I should stop looking, because (like Kazinsky Vision™) it keeps me from focusing on other important stuff like, say, Thorin.

--Amazingly, when I got home ROTK was on TV, so I naturally had to watch what was left of it. This is the first time I have seen it right on the heels of AUJ, and it is interesting to note the difference in tone--and to see how much better Gollum and the eagles look in AUJ.

--As we left the theatre, we were totally alone in a far back hallway the leads straight out to a parking lot exit. There was no one around, about 10:15 at night, and right on the wall as we came out was a giant Hobbit poster, on canvas, with the photo of all the dwarves. It was amazing, and just stapled into the wall. We stood there for a minute, and realized that if we were not as ethical and morally upright as we were, we could have pulled it down, rolled it up, and high tailed it out of the exit straight to our car, without going through the lobby. I kept having this image go through my mind, though, of the police showing up at my house asking if I had taken it, and me denying it while all around me were various LOTR and TH tschotskes and memorabilia. The angel of my better nature won out.

imin
Valinor

Feb 23 2013, 1:42am

Post #18 of 37 (338 views)
Shortcut
Bolg in battle of azanulbizar [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not certain but i think he is the orc who is stabbed from behind by a dwarf - he is centre screen for a second or so.

Others may be able to give a better account.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 23 2013, 4:44pm

Post #19 of 37 (235 views)
Shortcut
Going today [In reply to] Can't Post

for #13, yay, and am going to look into your points. I thought I saw it all but missed Bombur's look; and I do think I saw Bolg. Will look closer and update you when I get in.

{I opened a lovely birthday gift today. Out of a big long heavy box ... came the silky goodness of Orcrist! Am sad that common sense and federal law says I cannot take it with me to the movie :{ !!!!)

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 23 2013, 4:46pm

Post #20 of 37 (242 views)
Shortcut
Leaving in 5 to go [In reply to] Can't Post

am specifically going to look for him. I think you are right - tall Mohawked Orc, center and slightly left screen for a second, falls rigth forward I think. (?) Update later.

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 23 2013, 5:40pm

Post #21 of 37 (232 views)
Shortcut
Oh my! I get to go again today! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Some of my latest takeaways (viewing #12):

--if you get a chance, watch for the look on Bombur's face when Ori belches in Bag End. Not only is it hilarious, it keeps you from focusing on Ori belching.

--I have caused my friend to develop Kazinsky Vision™ as we spent way more time during the movie looking for him and/or the non-Dean Fili double. I must stop this, because I miss a lot of other things (although it is an interesting exercise in left brain/right brain training).

--I am sure someone has answered this on another thread, but what are all those orcs doing running around in broad daylight? And why did I just notice this now?

--Still can't find Bolg at Azanulbizar. And I should stop looking, because (like Kazinsky Vision™) it keeps me from focusing on other important stuff like, say, Thorin.

--Amazingly, when I got home ROTK was on TV, so I naturally had to watch what was left of it. This is the first time I have seen it right on the heels of AUJ, and it is interesting to note the difference in tone--and to see how much better Gollum and the eagles look in AUJ.

I'll be sure to look for Bombur when Ori belches!! Thanks for that head up! And yes, one of the things that really stood out for me in this film was how much better Gollum and the eagles look...especially in 3D HFR!! I'm so glad the guys who created Gollum's skin got a special Oscar for their work. Well deserved! Okeydokey...off to The Hobbit!!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

MistyMountain
Lorien

Feb 23 2013, 7:27pm

Post #22 of 37 (249 views)
Shortcut
Orcrist! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am SO jealous! That is a beautiful sword. Is it attached to a plaque or can you take it off and wave it around? I own the Shards of Narsil but the shards are, of course, attached to the wooden backing. The hilt (the same fragment Boromir drops on the ground) can be removed but the broken bit of sword isn't as impressive as a whole sword. I wish I could ask for a LOTR (or TH) sword for my birthday but I went with asking for a gym membership instead. The better to wield heavy swords? Alas, I really MUST win a lottery!

Happy Birthday! Who was the wonderful person who gave you that gift?

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 23 2013, 11:26pm

Post #23 of 37 (209 views)
Shortcut
Oh its gorgeous! [In reply to] Can't Post

It has a wall mount but its completely wieldable...Smile

My wonderful NON-LOTR husband was the giver! Such a lovely indulgence.Gym membership a valid point. Its not too long for me but its decently heavy!

I am informed I am not allowed to sleep with it in bed next to me. Hmmmph. Because I would, believe me.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 23 2013, 11:34pm

Post #24 of 37 (218 views)
Shortcut
Bolg sighting {?} [In reply to] Can't Post

I was of divided opinion as to two candidates; one is a very tall mohawked pale orc behind Thror, that someone else takes out but I can't tell who. The other is the one that Dwalin strikes down after Thorin reforms the line and charges. I think its the second one. We see him center and slightly right screen; he falls but then he goes off camera. Dwalin strikes him twice. If it is him and he is gravely injured but survives maybe that explains the iron head-repair gear we see in the available stock photos.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 23 2013, 11:47pm

Post #25 of 37 (203 views)
Shortcut
in from #13 [In reply to] Can't Post

I looked at Bombur"s face instead...so funny!

I went to 2 views actively using your darned trademarked Kazinsky vision. Now I'm trying to turn it off!!!!!!!!

Today I had Nori-vision. Noticed him a lot being a really tough and on-the-spot fighter. And right after he makes the "collared" comment he reaches out his arm to Thorin, seeing he's angry, I think to try to slow down Thorin and explain why Bilbo dropped back and to defend him (just a guess, because when Thorin goes off on Bilbo Nori looks so sad.) I never noticed that before.

And the Nesbitt-vision is always on. He is just amazing.
Yeah these Orcs have SPF 75 goin on. Hope they all get skin cancer.

I THINK I see Bolg. Check my response to Imin....not positive, but soon we will have screen shots to debate til our hearts content.Smile (24 days. Just saying)

You are a good person for not nabbing the poster. It sounds lovely!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Feb 23 2013, 11:48pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.