Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
River of Flowers 22 February
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 21 2013, 6:56am

Post #1 of 37 (543 views)
Shortcut
River of Flowers 22 February Can't Post

Tomorrow at 12.51pm marks two years since the earthquake that devastated the city of Christchurch.

Since we began what might be termed a seismic journey in Septmber 2010, many of you here have provided comfort, strength and support to me personally, to others here on the boards, and also to our city and province.

If you would like to take a moment to think of us tomorrow, here is a way you can join in.
Please drop a flower in a river or waterway, and become part of our river of flowers.

From the Healthy Christchurch website:
The River of Flowers is an opportunity to:
  • come together as a city through a river of flowers
  • let go through dropping flowers into the river
  • hold two minutes of silence to remember those who have died, been injured, or who have lost their homes
  • write notes of hope and post them on a tree of hope
  • acknowledge the importance of the river(s) in the life and heritage of the city
  • give a token of respect back to the river(s)
  • show the connections between communities - particularly those most affected
  • celebrate our strength - resilience and supporting one another

We are slowly moving forward but still have such a long, long way to go.
Thanks for reading. Smile

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 21 2013, 6:38pm

Post #2 of 37 (182 views)
Shortcut
*hugs* [In reply to] Can't Post

What are your plans for today, Starling?

There was a news story on Newstalk ZB this morning (which I can't find on their site) about a survey of Christchurch residents which showed an increased positivity, feelings of resilience and stronger family ties on this second anniversary. I hope that continues to grow for ChCh residents.

Also, I have just read this story online, about a mother and daughter whose survival story hasn't been told until now. I was in tears by the end.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 21 2013, 7:47pm

Post #3 of 37 (171 views)
Shortcut
What a lovely idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's dead of winter here, but my mom's Dancing Lady orchid is blooming. I'll see if I can find some unfrozen spot in the local river to drop one of the flowers. In any case my thoughts will certainly be with you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

TintallŽ
Gondor

Feb 21 2013, 7:55pm

Post #4 of 37 (164 views)
Shortcut
Will the Pacific Ocean do? [In reply to] Can't Post

Rivers and waterways are hard to come by in San Diego, although with the recent rain there may be a bit of winter flow in the San Diego River channel. The two minutes of silence I will definitely do!

This is a lovely idea through and through!

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 21 2013, 9:36pm

Post #5 of 37 (166 views)
Shortcut
I can do that! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will go and drop a flower in the Thames for you.

Storm clouds

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Feb 21 2013, 10:52pm

Post #6 of 37 (165 views)
Shortcut
Although it is too frozen here [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sending one your way. I don't know if you could print it out and wrap it around something to throw in? Or would that be littering? But any way, here's from my garden to your city. This summer, when I have something growing, I would be honored to float a few choice ones from my garden in the most beautiful rive or stream I can find here.

With love: https://picasaweb.google.com/...G9Ss?feat=directlink

Nienna
Rohan

Feb 21 2013, 11:58pm

Post #7 of 37 (151 views)
Shortcut
We stood out on the footpath [In reply to] Can't Post

At 12.51pm our staff stood out on the footpath for 2 minutes silence. People from other workplaces were also on the foopaths and it was very moving. Lovely to see cars come screeching to a halt so they too could take a few moments to think of absent friends.

For some reason, here at work, we're finding today more sad than we did last year.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 22 2013, 12:43am

Post #8 of 37 (147 views)
Shortcut
Actually, [In reply to] Can't Post

I found that was true on the second anniversary of my mother's death.

In Reply To
For some reason, here at work, we're finding today more sad than we did last year.

I think it was because I knew the first anniversary would be tough so I prepared myself for it. Having got through that, I didn't think the second anniversary would be particularly difficult so I wasn't prepared for the emotions of the day. You might have experienced something similar.

At 12.51pm stuff.co.nz's home page was replaced with a memorium that listed the names of those who died in the earthquake.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Nienna
Rohan

Feb 22 2013, 1:14am

Post #9 of 37 (161 views)
Shortcut
Yes, you're right ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that I think about it, last year we were steeling ourselves for overwhelming sadness, whereas this time we didn't think it would be so bad.

One of our part-timers was at work today and it was her first day at work two years ago. We both well remember standing side by side at the despatch desk two years ago when the earthquake struck - her recollection is the noise (filing cabinets and printers capsizing and part of a nearby building falling over). My main memory is watching the books being thrown from the shelves - we ended up with thousands on the floor.

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 22 2013, 3:42am

Post #10 of 37 (135 views)
Shortcut
will do! [In reply to] Can't Post

My hometown is a 'sister city' with Christchurch; we'll be throwing flowers from our side of the Pacific.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 22 2013, 3:59am

Post #11 of 37 (134 views)
Shortcut
Will do [In reply to] Can't Post

though as with Ethel, there may be more of a splat than a splash... the rivers nearby are in stasis.

Sigh, I wish there was more we could do. It is such a long road you've travelled. Attahua's sayings are good to read -- I'm thankful that hope remains in Christchurch.

x

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 22 2013, 5:29am

Post #12 of 37 (141 views)
Shortcut
Dear Starling [In reply to] Can't Post

It is but a cold frosted night,
and Jack Frost is at work on our windows,
where treading about the snow filled landscape
lends a crunch under each step.

The earth is asleep
and all things are dormant
but this i can humbly offer
with reverence and hope.

As in the earliest days
a single flower yielded itself,
as an offering of life continued
May the rose now rise in symphony.

February 22, 2013 12:29AM

Sunflower
Valinor

Feb 22 2013, 5:51am

Post #13 of 37 (127 views)
Shortcut
What a lovely idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

I will try to drop something in the Hudson River here--I won't be there at 12:51, but I can stop by the River Walk park when I get out of work.

As to the 2nd yr being harder than the first--I can attest to that. 2nd anniversary of my mother's passing Over Sea. I think the first yr you're still in shock. The 2nd yr, "the grief is still too near." But all things shall pass...in time.

So...have we got a regular Nature thread up yet? (seeing as I haven't been here in a bit)

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2013, 6:31am

Post #14 of 37 (125 views)
Shortcut
Well it was work as usual [In reply to] Can't Post

We had a full school assembly in the morning, and a minute's silence. The children decorated road cones, and next week we will be collecting for the children in the Solomon Islands who have lost their schools in the recent earthquake and tsunami.

I was in the staff room at 12.51 just before I went on duty. A colleague who was at home on the day of the earthquake caught my eye, and we exchanged a 'look' that everyone in Christchurch knows now. She was in her house on the hills when the earthquake happened, and she and two of her children escaped with their lives as the house exploded all around them.

Midgey and I went to the river and threw in some red roses during our walk. It was a beautiful evening.

It wasn't terribly helpful to be woken up by an aftershock at 3.00 this morning!

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2013, 6:32am

Post #15 of 37 (126 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Aunt Dora [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember that lovely orchid. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2013, 6:33am

Post #16 of 37 (120 views)
Shortcut
Most certainly [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2013, 6:34am

Post #17 of 37 (119 views)
Shortcut
I love the idea [In reply to] Can't Post

of a flower floating down the Thames.
Thank you. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2013, 6:36am

Post #18 of 37 (120 views)
Shortcut
My favourite [In reply to] Can't Post

There's nothing I love more than an iris.
Thank you. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2013, 6:38am

Post #19 of 37 (129 views)
Shortcut
Nienna, I was thinking of you today [In reply to] Can't Post

I wondered how you were feeling. I'm glad to hear people stopped to remember.
And yes, those second anniversaries can be very hard.
Hugs to you. x

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2013, 6:45am

Post #20 of 37 (114 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Annael [In reply to] Can't Post

From one sister city to another. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2013, 6:47am

Post #21 of 37 (112 views)
Shortcut
We are still getting up, [In reply to] Can't Post

but we will get there - inching towards recovery as someone said today.

Thanks for your support. It means a lot. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2013, 6:50am

Post #22 of 37 (111 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Sunflower [In reply to] Can't Post

As for the regular nature thread, I managed to get it going when it was the school holidays. But now that I am consumed with work, I seem to forget, or simply run out of time.
Luckily there are plenty of people around here who will start nature-themed threads of their own. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 22 2013, 6:55am

Post #23 of 37 (111 views)
Shortcut
And look! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those red flowers are blooming again. Smile

I took this photo yesterday. The broken wall is gone now, and the area has been cleared, awaiting a rebuild.

Thank you, Sil. Smile

Elizabeth
Valinor

Feb 22 2013, 7:00am

Post #24 of 37 (110 views)
Shortcut
Thinking about you all. [In reply to] Can't Post

The 22nd isn't till tomorrow here, of course, but you have been in my thoughts all day. I've been mostly down with a cold, but have some lovely fresh daffodills, and will put one in the ocean for ChCh tomorrow.

What a treat to have seen the Re:START mall and all the creative solutions people have found to get their lives going again.

But today's paper carried an article about the many individuals who are still living in trailers or other makeshift dwellings 2 years on because of bureaucratic delays. The article made the point that it's sometimes worse in developed countries, and cited the difference between the third world (such as the parts of Indonesia devastated by a tsunami a few years ago), where folks don't actually expect any help and so just rebuild whatever and however they can, and places like NZ and Japan where everything's so well-organized it takes forever.

Still, the courageous and creative spirit of Christchurch comes through loud and clear. Yay for all of you!

alienorchid
Lorien

Feb 22 2013, 7:35am

Post #25 of 37 (108 views)
Shortcut
I can't believe it's been two years! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not big on memorials, anniversaries and the like, so I didn't attend any of the organised events - there was something at university, but I just went out for lunch with a friend (who I wouldn't have met if it wasn't for the earthquakes) and we reflected on the madness and upheaval of the last two years.

I still feel incredibly lucky that I, and most of my friends, were in the right place at the right time to escape alive and uninjured.

It's been touching to see so many people band together, and to get so much support, especially on these boards!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.