Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the Presidents' Day reading thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 20 2013, 10:11pm

Post #26 of 34 (108 views)
Shortcut
I also got a compendium of his first "Myth" books [In reply to] Can't Post

looking forward to reading it.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 20 2013, 10:19pm

Post #27 of 34 (119 views)
Shortcut
I don't recall if you've encountered Terry Pratchett's Discworld [In reply to] Can't Post

If you like humor with your s.f./fantasy then it's hard to go wrong with Pratchett. Also, Piers Anthony's Xanth series has many fans (although I haven't read enough to recommend them myself).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 21 2013, 1:36am

Post #28 of 34 (103 views)
Shortcut
Actually the naming of The Hobbit is an awesome one! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was named right away by its discoverer, Mike Morwood. In 2004 he said:

"Referring to the extremely small size of the species, after an imaginary race of half-sized, hairy-footed charactars in the universally popular The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien....the name Hobbit was, I thought, singularly appropriate: a little person that lived in a cosy hole in the ground on an isolated Middle earth island. LB1 (Liang Bua 1, first specimen) [was] familiar with a rype of extinct elephant and was chased by Komodo dragons - the Flores version of "Oliphaunts" and the fire-breathing dragon Smaug."

Isn't that GREAT!!!!!!! I love re-reading that every time!

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Feb 21 2013, 1:38am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 21 2013, 3:43am

Post #29 of 34 (107 views)
Shortcut
I've been reading the I Ching [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it sitting on the sale shelf at Barnes and Noble, in a lovely volume bound in China, and bibliophile in me had to get it. I remembered a ridiculous "Dark Shadows" episode from my childhood where they used the I Ching to time travel, and I remembered a bit of the last time I had dipped into the book about forty years ago.

I have to admit I got hooked by the mathematics of it: the binary code, and the different probabilities of the different ways of casting, and I learned about something called deBruijn sequences as I noodled around on the internet, but the book is very interesting too. It's oldest parts are 3000-4000 years old, and then the newer parts (possibly written by Confucius) are about 2000 years old. I loved the nature imagery and the poetic feel of some of the phrases, like "He treads on the tail of the tiger and it does not bite him. Success." :-D

I don't believe in divination as in fortunetelling. But I do believe in feeding my imagination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Feb 21 2013, 3:44am)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 21 2013, 5:18pm

Post #30 of 34 (88 views)
Shortcut
That is awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure I've seen Morwood's exact words before. How great that he referenced the elephants and the dragons! And isn't "Morwood" a Tolkien-style name? You know, what Bilbo and the dwarves thought as they struggled through Mirkwood---there's more wood, and more wood....

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 21 2013, 5:20pm

Post #31 of 34 (84 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a great way to feed your imagination [In reply to] Can't Post

Chinese imagery is very interesting. There are tai chi moves called, for example, "grasp sparrow's tail", "repulse the monkey", and "embrace tiger return to mountain". Supposedly these are all puns or plays on words based on how the original, more martial, phrases looked in ideograms.

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 22 2013, 3:37am

Post #32 of 34 (78 views)
Shortcut
oh yes, huge Pratchett fan [In reply to] Can't Post

was turned onto him by folks on this forum years ago.

Anthony is a bit too precious & self-consciously witty for my taste. i've read a few of his books, but after a while they all kind of ran together.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2013, 5:39am

Post #33 of 34 (78 views)
Shortcut
Continuing with contemporary Holmes [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm about halfway through Moriarty, finishing off The Hound of the D'Urbervilles story. I've never read Tess of the D'Urbervilles (in respone to your reference last week, Lily), but I can only imagine it has something to do with it, just as much as it has to do with The Hound of the Baskervilles (that I know very well). I'm still really digging the book. My only real issue is where it really reflects the Holmes stories they draw from (such as following similar plot points or twists). It's easily forgiven however where you're given a sort of breaking of the fourth wall, namely when there's unsung remarks towards (what I deem to be) Holmes himself.

Still, I'm finding these stories very lucid. The thing I admire the most about Kim Newman is his ability to utilize short paragraphs, or, more particularly, one-sentence paragraphs - he made four one-sentence paragraphs in a row! From my own writing I find it difficult to do such a thing, but Kim Newman does it like flexign a muscle. It's fast-paced, and straight to the point.

In other news, a new book has arrived to my doorstep today: The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Holmes. At the back of Moriarty was a list of several books under the Further Adventures title. I ordered this one on a whim, what with how much I'm enjoying Moriarty and the current Holmes high I'm on, I couldn't deny the crossing of one of my favorite literary characters with a Stevenson tale. I've yet to read it, apart from a very poignant 'thanks page' dedicated to Doyle and Stevenson. I might dive into it tomorrow as I'm in between stories with my current read, but we'll wait and see.

Definitely a nice refreshment from my usual readings, all this. I couldn't suggest it to fellow readers more. Smile

Stigmata Script, a bastion for aspiring writers - http://stigmatascript.com/

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 24 2013, 12:00am

Post #34 of 34 (65 views)
Shortcut
Funny twist Lily [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't even think about his name! Oh that's perfect! (It sounds like a place: the Rangers meet tonight at the Morwood)Smile

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.