Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Gandalf, Radagast (the Istari in general) and Galadriel, going forward. Hoping Phillipa Boyens et al remember that The Lady is sacred, but the Wizards Divine.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 20 2013, 2:54pm

Views: 930
Shortcut
Gandalf, Radagast (the Istari in general) and Galadriel, going forward. Hoping Phillipa Boyens et al remember that The Lady is sacred, but the Wizards Divine. Can't Post

Yes, it is still on my mind. Never left it really, and the notion of Radagast in the presence of The Lady alongside Gandalf stirred the thought anew.

As I mentioned before, there were places in the first film where Galadriel's relating to Gandalf seemed to tilted. In some places it was perfect and moving, but in others he seemed to be taking his cues from her at best, and one sided direction at worst.

This is not some manner of anti-female sentiment on my part. I LOVE Galadriel and I have generally loved the way Cate has portrayed her. Ever since she played Elizabeth I thought she was great for the role. I thought she was perfectly portrayed in the Rings films, and her interactions with Frodo, Aragorn, Legolas, Boromir, Gimli and the rest was without flaw. It is proper that all of them should have regarded her as sainted and holy, both powerful and wise beyond their reckoning.

It should not be so with any of the Istari. Of course they should be enchanted by her beauty and respectful of her power and wisdom. . . but none of them, not even Radagast, should be made to seem overwhelmed, overawed, subserviant or out of their depth in her presence. They should take counsel from her, but they should also render counsel to her.

I hope that in the upcoming film Gandalf will be seen giving advice to her as much as taking it. Perhaps, once Sauron's threat is known, she will still be hesitant to strike what might be a costly blow, wondering if the power of The Elves might not be sufficient to withstand Sauron without going forth to assail him directly. Gandalf (in keeping with the existing lore of the films) might warn her against the danger of waiting for Sauron's power to grow, and also remind her of the alliances the Enemy might use. " A dragon in Erebor. . . and in Moria a Demon and former captain of Morgoth, even as was Sauron himself! For all the power of Lord Elrond, can Rivendell withstand the assault of a great dragon? Are even the fences of Galadriel certain to repel the fell might and sorcery of a Balrog of Morgoth, should Sauron manage to rally so dreadful a terror to his cause? All evil things are repairing to his aid, and among them are Dark Powers such as even the High-Elves might fear to face. . ." You know. Something like that, then they consult the Mirror etc. Etc.

I don't expect or desire to see Galadriel courtseying to them. Just a more balanced interaction and mutual reverance. Galadriel is mighty and wonderful, but the film team needs still to remember that she is Galadriel, not Melain, Yavanna, Nienna or Varda.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Feb 20 2013, 2:58pm)

Subject User Time
Gandalf, Radagast (the Istari in general) and Galadriel, going forward. Hoping Phillipa Boyens et al remember that The Lady is sacred, but the Wizards Divine. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Feb 20 2013, 2:54pm
    Too late for that stoutfiles Send a private message to stoutfiles Feb 20 2013, 3:53pm
        It can be amended, or at least not exacerbated. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Feb 20 2013, 4:04pm
        Galadriel billzy2 Send a private message to billzy2 Feb 21 2013, 2:15am
    Agreed JWPlatt Feb 20 2013, 4:31pm
        is their power relative... elevorn Send a private message to elevorn Feb 20 2013, 5:18pm
            Their power was masked, but still accessible... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Feb 20 2013, 6:08pm
                All of your points make sense... elevorn Send a private message to elevorn Feb 20 2013, 6:12pm
                    subservient... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Feb 20 2013, 7:01pm
                        Exactly. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Feb 20 2013, 11:20pm
                            The Iceberg Techique and Social Etiquette Michelle Johnston Feb 21 2013, 7:03am
                                We do agree on many of these points. And perhaps most of all how wrong that business with The Witch-King was AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Feb 21 2013, 11:15pm
                    I don't think any are suggesting, and certainly I am not, that their should be a complete role reversal, AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Feb 20 2013, 11:17pm
            Fail utterly is far too strong a turn. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Feb 20 2013, 11:09pm
        Limited but not absent. Their powers were still beyond those of mortal men, even kings, and beyond AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Feb 20 2013, 10:59pm
    I agree MorgolKing Send a private message to MorgolKing Feb 20 2013, 5:33pm
    Divinity wrapped in humbleness Michelle Johnston Feb 20 2013, 6:50pm
        Agree with this. Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Feb 20 2013, 8:32pm
            In this one instance, it is not so much a matterof him appearing weak, as of the roles and relationships being misconstrued. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Feb 20 2013, 11:39pm
                I am aware of all this... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Feb 21 2013, 7:03am
    ... TFP Send a private message to TFP Feb 20 2013, 8:21pm
    I didn't really see Gandalf as being subservient to Galadriel Aragalen the Green Send a private message to Aragalen the Green Feb 21 2013, 12:27am
        How's this for an idea? The Mirror off Galadriel.. Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Feb 21 2013, 9:22am
    Ganfalf - The Humble Servant of Middle Earth Black Breathalizer Send a private message to Black Breathalizer Feb 22 2013, 4:58pm
        Can you cite writing ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Feb 22 2013, 7:21pm
            Very well said. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Feb 22 2013, 11:31pm
        Rather wrong on several points, I fear. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Feb 22 2013, 11:26pm
    Who are these people ? Michelle Johnston Feb 22 2013, 5:09pm
    The Wizards are Like Guardian Angels IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Feb 23 2013, 12:11am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.