Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: Charging in a blur!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 20 2013, 1:41pm

Post #1 of 3 (327 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: Charging in a blur! Can't Post

Hello people! Chose this rather off-kilter shot, as LOTR is not of course all crisp-perfect-idealistic in its appearance.

1. Do you agree that blurred shots like these can give a sense of realism to the scene? Does the skirmish between the Rohirrim and the Warg riders feel real to you?

2. With this in mind, discuss HFR and its type of realism compared to that of blurred photography like this. (LOTR vs Hobbit anyone?Wink)

3. Comment on the features of this shot.

4. Furtther thoughts?

cheers!
Xana Cool

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

(This post was edited by Xanaseb on Feb 20 2013, 1:43pm)

Tigero
Rivendell

Feb 20 2013, 7:57pm

Post #2 of 3 (168 views)
Shortcut
You can't talk about motion blur with just snaphots of a scene [In reply to] Can't Post

But yes, of course blur adds realism, even our eyes have an 'exposure time' of sorts, you notice it when it's dark and you move your eyes fast while looking at lights. Well i guess it has something to do with your receptors staying stimulated but the effect is the same.

I have been thinking about an option to this motion blur and fps dilemma that if material with so high framerate that motion is almost 'really there' with no motion blur would be fed to our eyes, would our eyes fill the motion blur up for ultimate realism? Who knows.

I guess that in the end 48fps looks more realistic but that doesn't mean it looks better and you can't say realism is one of main values of a movie like The Hobbit. For me the places where 48fps really failed where slow mo shots, they just looked wrong with that ultra-high-definition motion, they were completely difrent to say some Lorien scenes from LOTR.

Something that i didn't understand about this warg attack scene is that why aren't our heroes having helmets on (exept Gimli), being a $wag like Haldir can be fatal... Wink

Pessimists have no disappointments.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 25 2013, 5:42am

Post #3 of 3 (118 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Do you agree that blurred shots like these can give a sense of realism to the scene? Does the skirmish between the Rohirrim and the Warg riders feel real to you?

I don't remember it looking blurred in the film; I guess my eyes compensated. Some of the battle worked, but other bits looked very CGI. The stunt where Legolas grabbed the bridle of his horse as it passed and jumped on was fun, but it always bugged me. If the mechanics or physics or whatever had been accurate, it would have worked. The imaging in this case was convincing, but the actual movement seemed off.

2. With this in mind, discuss HFR and its type of realism compared to that of blurred photography like this. (LOTR vs Hobbit anyone?Wink)

Haven't seen TH Frown or its HFR so I can't comment.

3. Comment on the features of this shot.

Viggo is really committed. His intensity is very convincing.

4. Furtther thoughts?

This scene isn't my favorite, but I guess I'm not as bothered by it as some people seem to be.

Thanks Xanaseb! Hope things are going well at school Smile

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

(This post was edited by zarabia on Feb 25 2013, 5:44am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.