Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Oscar countdown: Weta Digital's artistry on video display

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Feb 19 2013, 3:10am

Post #1 of 16 (680 views)
Shortcut
Oscar countdown: Weta Digital's artistry on video display Can't Post

Weta Digital is nominated for Visual Effects for its work on "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey." That means co-founder Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton and R. Christopher White could all be walking away from the Academy Awards ceremony this Sunday with golden statues. And the competition comes in the form of more folks at Weta Digital for work on "The Avengers," and "Prometheus." "The Life of Pi," and "Snow White and The Huntsman," are in the mix as well. Pundits say it comes down to Hobbit vs. Pi. Whatever the outcome, Weta Digital has had a pretty astounding year and with the warm glow of Smaug on the horizon, 2013 looks promising as well. You probably knew all that but what you may have missed are the terrific reels Weta Digital has available to help viewers (and maybe voters) understand what went into the creatures, environments and characters it created for the first of three Hobbit films based on J.R.R. Tolkien's 75-year-old children's book.

One of the six showcases on YouTube, "VFX of The Hobbit: Fantastical Creatures & Lands of Epic Beauty & Darkness," something of a highlight of all the videos, has been watched more than the rest but for anybody who loves cinema, loves the Hobbit film, technology or visual effects, the whole collection is outstanding. And so, we present them all below, embedded in one place for your viewing pleasure.

VFX OF THE HOBBIT: FANTASTICAL CREATURES & LANDS OF EPIC BEAUTY & DARKNESS

WETA DIGITAL'S ARTISTRY BEHIND GOLLUM

WETA DIGITAL'S ARTISTRY BEHIND THE GOBLIN CAVERNS

WETA DIGITAL'S ARTISTRY BEHIND RIVENDELL

WETA DIGITAL'S ARTISTRY BEHIND THE GOBLIN KING

WETA DIGITAL'S ARTISTRY BEHIND AZOG

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 19 2013, 11:21am

Post #2 of 16 (360 views)
Shortcut
The environments are stunningly real! The creatures - not so much [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson's justification for the digital orcs was that it let him get away from the restrictive triangle of mouth and two eyes that human's possess. But, if I remember correctly, Del Toro was planning on making these creatures puppets with digital enhancements? Surely that would've allowed the same freedom of form while giving much more of a physical presence?

Don't get me wrong, the orcs are beautifully designed, and they look great on their own. But when they're in an army they just become a mass of pixels as opposed to an intimidating force Frown

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Feb 19 2013, 11:23am)

stoutfiles
Rohan

Feb 19 2013, 2:05pm

Post #3 of 16 (297 views)
Shortcut
Pi will win [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be a miracle at this point for the Hobbit to win based on pre-Oscar polling. No shame in losing to Pi, though.

I believe they can regroup and win it next year with an excellent Smaug showing.

We should probably have a topic for the Oscar they likely WILL win: Best Makeup.

(This post was edited by stoutfiles on Feb 19 2013, 2:07pm)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2013, 4:09pm

Post #4 of 16 (249 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful work, Weta! [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazing!

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2013, 4:41pm

Post #5 of 16 (242 views)
Shortcut
After the Bafta's. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no confidence they will win any after the BAFTA's. Les Mis one the hair and makeup I think. It's fine. I sort of get it. This is a 3 part movie. There will be plenty of time with TABA for a final decision on whether TH warrants Oscars (including any acting noms). Films like Les Mis this is their first and only shot. So I get giving the awards elsewhere.

Vangalad
Lorien

Feb 19 2013, 5:01pm

Post #6 of 16 (220 views)
Shortcut
Good job! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit's Gollum is IMO the most lifelike creature ever created.

I wasn't a fan of Azog and the goblin king in the first place, though 48fps and multiple viewings helped me appreciate the work done to these characters, they look great!

Also,loved every single bit of Rivendell.Smile

Still not sure about Goblintown, it reminded me of Isengard's caverns...

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 19 2013, 5:05pm

Post #7 of 16 (240 views)
Shortcut
I really hope that Pi does not win. [In reply to] Can't Post

The animals were good, the rest not so much. Avatar with a touch of art.

And animating animals are not that hard compared to Gollum.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 19 2013, 5:06pm

Post #8 of 16 (242 views)
Shortcut
I've always liked Azog's design [In reply to] Can't Post

But after watching that video, I have to say, I find it confusing as to why they changed it. The Yazneg-lookalike works even better in my opinion.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 19 2013, 5:27pm

Post #9 of 16 (223 views)
Shortcut
Yazneg lookalike? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are Yazneg and Azog different orcs then? I thought the change wasn't one of artistic choice but some confusing muddle where they changed Azog's story? I'm behind on all this stuff Unsure

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 19 2013, 5:35pm

Post #10 of 16 (227 views)
Shortcut
I think most people are viewing it as a comedy or kid's movie [In reply to] Can't Post

And comedies and kid's movies are always looked down on by awards ceremonies. I personally think it deserves the award for Production Design (which I only recently found out means art direction?). This is the one area I think The Hobbit was truly outstanding in.

A friend told me that they couldn't consider The Hobbit for sound because judge viewings didn't have Dolby Atmos. Not sure how accurate that claim is?

Oh well, maybe next year!
Angelic

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Feb 19 2013, 5:37pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 19 2013, 5:37pm

Post #11 of 16 (211 views)
Shortcut
The animals were more than good!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 19 2013, 5:42pm

Post #12 of 16 (216 views)
Shortcut
Possibly QuackingTroll [In reply to] Can't Post

Are Yazneg and Azog different orcs then? I thought the change wasn't one of artistic choice but some confusing muddle where they changed Azog's story? I'm behind on all this stuff

I'm not sure myself! I assumed they were still different characters, since Yazneg had his own figurine etc. Crazy

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2013, 6:02pm

Post #13 of 16 (210 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back, DLB! :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Are Yazneg and Azog different orcs then? I thought the change wasn't one of artistic choice but some confusing muddle where they changed Azog's story? I'm behind on all this stuff

Rawl's character was announced as Azog first, but then renamed Yazneg after the CGI Azog was paste over most of the scenes with Yazneg in.

Co-incidentally, one of my son's was browsing through the AUJ Movie Storybook in the shops today, and pointed out to me that the write-up of ending of the movie in that publication makes no reference to Azog at all, and in fact has a picture of Yazneg on the warg, described in the text simply as something like "the leader of the Orcs"

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 19 2013, 8:14pm

Post #14 of 16 (184 views)
Shortcut
Bomby will go out on... a limb of a pine tree? [In reply to] Can't Post

Both
1. Makeup and hair! Slam dunk for Peter King!
( the king of all hair?)

2. WetasWork.. was...so much more complicated then Life of Pi!
They have already Won a technical award for gollum!

Welcome back Daniel
Bomby is
"At your service!"

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 19 2013, 9:27pm

Post #15 of 16 (172 views)
Shortcut
...I'm confused... [In reply to] Can't Post

So the change was one of artistic preference? Considering they pasted over Yazneg in both the warg scene and the Moria flashback?

Why does the book make no reference to Azog? Is it because they didn't have time to replace the design in the book and people would get confused if they saw Yazneg with the name Azog, so they just renamed him?

Crazy head hurts

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Feb 19 2013, 9:30pm)

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Feb 19 2013, 11:08pm

Post #16 of 16 (198 views)
Shortcut
These are great [In reply to] Can't Post

Studying animation at the moment and these have been brilliant to watch, a couple have found their way into my design diaries.

Really annoys me when some people say CGI is as a cheap, easy replacement for practical effects. The amount of effort that some digital artists put in is unbelievable.

Best of luck to The Hobbit!

Yes, my username is terrible.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.