Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which versions of The Hobbit: AUJ will you buy?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Which versions of The Hobbit: AUJ will you buy?
Theatrical Edition only, how can one improve upon perfection? (snicker)
Extended Edition only, because longer is always...better? (snicker again)
Both versions, they've got me. Waiting for the EE will be unbearable.
I always planned on getting both versions.
I'll just stick to the book, thag you very buch.
One or both versions, maybe when the price finally drops and it's in a discount and/or bargain bin.
Why buy when you can rent the movie instead?
I will only watch one or the other by sucking up all the bandwidth from everyone else by using Netflix etc.
Illegal download (you filthy pirate you)
Other
View Results (75 votes)

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Feb 19 2013, 10:18am

Post #1 of 28 (519 views)
Shortcut
Which versions of The Hobbit: AUJ will you buy? Can't Post

I guess I'll have to go with admitting to probably getting both versions.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 19 2013, 10:20am

Post #2 of 28 (373 views)
Shortcut
Both, probably, because [In reply to] Can't Post

The waiting between Theatrical > EE is just far too long. 9 months, at the least? That's almost a year, so no thanks, I'll take the double-dip bait any day. If the EE would be released in lets say somewhere between May and August, I would have waited for the EE.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2013, 12:33pm

Post #3 of 28 (340 views)
Shortcut
Both! [In reply to] Can't Post

Theatrical DVD when it comes out, for the kids to watch in the car, EE when it comes out, to keep with my LotR EEs and watch at home.

imin
Valinor

Feb 19 2013, 12:37pm

Post #4 of 28 (346 views)
Shortcut
Just EE - depending on whats on it [In reply to] Can't Post

I will wait for the EE and then wait to see if there is much new material like there was between the TE and EE, if not i won't get it, if there is like i am expecting then i will.

For me waiting for the EE will be the right length of time and get me into the mood for DOS.

The White Wizard
The Shire

Feb 19 2013, 12:58pm

Post #5 of 28 (332 views)
Shortcut
Definately both [In reply to] Can't Post

I will definitely get both. I have the LOTR in theatrical, theatrical blu-ray, extended, and extended blu-ray so I will probably do the same for The Hobbit movies.

(This post was edited by The White Wizard on Feb 19 2013, 12:59pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 19 2013, 4:04pm

Post #6 of 28 (312 views)
Shortcut
Just the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

Not necessarily because longer is better, but because I just want to see the scenes that didn't make it into the theatrical. I hope they'll be great, but of course I don't know at the moment. I'm also really hoping the documentaries are as fantastic as those on the LOTR EEs.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 19 2013, 9:28pm

Post #7 of 28 (317 views)
Shortcut
Extended Edition... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will probably order the theatrical cut on NetFlix while we wait for the Extended Edition to be released.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Feb 20 2013, 3:33am

Post #8 of 28 (304 views)
Shortcut
EE only.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the Theatrical and EE of the LOTR, but I think I'll just grab the EE this time around...who knows though really....maybe....maybe not...

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 20 2013, 10:26am

Post #9 of 28 (288 views)
Shortcut
Both [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm too impatient to wait for the EE!

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Feb 20 2013, 4:42pm

Post #10 of 28 (291 views)
Shortcut
Redboxing the TE a few times... [In reply to] Can't Post

(In April/May, I guess) Then buying the EE

Just curious, how many have a Redbox close enough to conveniently use? Is there anything like it in Europe? For those who don't know, it's basically a kiosk where you can rent DVDs for $1 a day (or Blu-rays for $1.50)

imin
Valinor

Feb 20 2013, 5:04pm

Post #11 of 28 (258 views)
Shortcut
There is Blockbuster in the UK [In reply to] Can't Post

But that is a store you go into and rent or buy the dvds from. The company is closing many of its stores as they can't compete with online streaming like netflix or love film - who also post out the dvds/blu-rays to your house - more convenient for most.

If people don't use those they can just wait to buy the dvd or illegally download/stream it.

I think something like Redbox would do pretty good in the UK.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Feb 20 2013, 5:34pm

Post #12 of 28 (259 views)
Shortcut
Ultimate EE Collection [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to vote "other" because the question implies buying The Hobbit as individual movies. I will buy the Ultimate Collector's EE Middle Earth Edition of The Lord of the Rings combined with The Hobbit. The Green Tint on Fellowship of the Ring EE Blu-ray, left me devoid of any desire to be further victim to any multiple-dippings until there is a definitive collection and the matter of The Green Tint is resolved one way or another.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 20 2013, 8:17pm

Post #13 of 28 (255 views)
Shortcut
Two questions [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The Ultimate Edition: This could take years and years, if it ever gets made! It's been talked about for so long that it feels like an empty promise by now, kind of like the announced Deadwood movie by HBO to end the series in 2006 which turned out to be a total hoax - it never happened. I'm not saying the ultimate edition will necessarily go down that path, but I'm not holding my breath.

2. The Green Tint: But... is there really a green tint?

(This post was edited by macfalk on Feb 20 2013, 8:18pm)

Escapist
Gondor

Feb 20 2013, 8:24pm

Post #14 of 28 (244 views)
Shortcut
When it gets to the bargain bin -or- when someone gets it for me for birthday/Christmas // [In reply to] Can't Post

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Feb 20 2013, 8:55pm

Post #15 of 28 (285 views)
Shortcut
That Was One Question [In reply to] Can't Post

I only see one question mark. ;)

There is little chance of a Middle Earth EE Collection not happening. But if it doesn't happen by, say, Christmas 2015, I would default to getting just The Hobbit Trilogy EE Collector's Edition and nothing individual or sooner. I hope it comes with figurines like the Lord of the Rings sets.

Yes, there really is a Green Tint. It has been measured with objective test equipment - not just human imagination or bias.

ryouko
Lorien

Feb 21 2013, 2:29am

Post #16 of 28 (252 views)
Shortcut
I'll likely wait [In reply to] Can't Post

and just get the EE. I can rent the regular version on Netflix, if need be. If I get too impatient I might buy the first release, but I'd rather save my money for the EE. ^_^

sevilodorf
Gondor

Feb 21 2013, 5:02am

Post #17 of 28 (291 views)
Shortcut
me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've found patience in this economy.... or rather I've reset my priorities.... unfortunately.

stormcrow20
Gondor

Feb 22 2013, 12:26am

Post #18 of 28 (232 views)
Shortcut
Theatrical and Extended [In reply to] Can't Post

If there are two significantly different versions of a movie that I really, really enjoy, then I must have both. So just like Lord of the Rings, I'll be getting both theatrical and extended cuts of all three parts of The Hobbit. I may prefer one version over the other, but I want the option of watching either one at any given time. Plus, I'm a sucker for bonus features.

(This post was edited by stormcrow20 on Feb 22 2013, 12:28am)

Rolfina
Rivendell

Feb 22 2013, 8:37am

Post #19 of 28 (220 views)
Shortcut
None of them [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm getting them for free because my job rules. Cool

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2013, 3:03pm

Post #20 of 28 (212 views)
Shortcut
Lucky! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I will be doing my part I guess to fund the economy. I was going to wait for the EE but I have decided I need smiles between now and the fall. I will be buying both.

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 22 2013, 4:23pm

Post #21 of 28 (197 views)
Shortcut
me too, probably [In reply to] Can't Post

either way I can fast-forward through the trolls & most of Radagast, so it's all good.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Feb 23 2013, 2:06pm

Post #22 of 28 (168 views)
Shortcut
Both versions [In reply to] Can't Post

Quite honestly I simply cannot wait for the EE to come out..the fan and actor in me demands that I must know all the lines in the theatrical cut before the EE comes out!Laugh

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2013, 10:16pm

Post #23 of 28 (162 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

Like I said I was going to wait, but alas. I can't stand it. I even considered whether I could wait for Netflix in April. The force is strong with this one though. I am being sucked into the vortex! I will indeed buy both.

Misto
Lorien

Feb 25 2013, 2:04pm

Post #24 of 28 (159 views)
Shortcut
I'll hang in until release of EE [In reply to] Can't Post

I absolutely love the LOTR-EEs so I guess I'll be patient and watch these over and over again until the Hobbit EE comes out.
To be quite honest I don't feel like I can't live without the Hobbit on DVD for another couple of months. Cloud Atlas on the other hand...Angelic Seriously though: I wasn't that thrilled with the Hobbit that I really need two DVDs of the same movie. Unless they differ very strongly (I do posses the theatrical version of Rotk) - but I'll only ever find out after the EE release.

Patty
Immortal

Feb 26 2013, 7:41am

Post #25 of 28 (137 views)
Shortcut
Both versions for me. And in 3D. The 2D will come with it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Come the Fall I will be scurrying out for the EE. What else can a lifelong Tolkien fan who loves 3D do? Sly

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.