Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
SAST Quiz #4
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2013, 6:56pm

Post #1 of 44 (557 views)
Shortcut
SAST Quiz #4 Can't Post

*Ro walks in, sneezing and sniffling* Drat it, next time remind me to ride a raft down the river, not to follow these crazy dwarves in a waterlogged barrel!

Welcome, one and all, to this weekís edition of the Short Attention Span Theatre! Today we are covering Chapter 10, A Warm Welcome. As usual, the quiz will close in three days; each question is worth one point, and the quiz is utterly and absolutely CLOSED BOOK. Anyone caught cheating or peeking will be locked up in a room with the Master of Laketown and me, for three days. If his inane bureaucratic ramblings donít drive you mad, youíll at least catch this wretched cold I have. Fair enough? Off you go then. Have fun!

*Ro settles in to watch the Dwarves being unpacked, and wondering if Thorin's hair will be looking just as majestic as usual, if not slightly soggy*

1. Which Dwarf was first to be released by Bilbo from his barrel?

2. What had Filiís barrel originally contained?

3. Bilbo has a shocking cold while the Company is in Esgaroth. Once he is well enough to venture out, to what words are his speeches at banquets limited? (You must give the exact quotation for credit.)

4. Where is the Master of Laketown when Thorin and his companions are first brought to him?

5. Name one of two reasons explicitly given regarding why the Master was not at all sorry to see the Dwarves go.

Answers and results will be posted here shortly after the quiz closes. Answers and results for SAST Quiz #3 can be found here.

(This post was edited by Roheryn on Feb 18 2013, 7:05pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 18 2013, 7:12pm

Post #2 of 44 (327 views)
Shortcut
Right [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Balin
2. Apples!
3. Not fair! I've only read The Hobbit translated, so I don't know what he says in English, but it's something like "Thank you very much"
4. He was at a feast.
5. The townspeople had started believing in the "king under the mountain-tales" when Thorin arrived, and he feared that this might weaken his position in the city if the dwarves would settle there for good. Plus, the upkeep for the company was not cheap! They feasted every day of the week at Laketown's expense during their stay there and if they left to fight Smaug he hoped that things would revert to normal.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 18 2013, 7:44pm

Post #3 of 44 (318 views)
Shortcut
Putting thinking cap on... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Thorin! Disgruntled and soaking wet (hmmm, not that *I* mind Thorin soaking wet, I think... but I'm sure that *he* did mind, especially since there is no mention of Bilbo having a mirror so that he could have checked if his hair was a lovely and toss-able as always), but still majestic-looking, I'm sure!

2. Apples!

3. "I meeb a dishoo, pwease." Ok, maybe not. Not sure about this one. I think it's a nasal variation of "Thank you!", but I have no clue, so I'm just going to say he exclaimed "Thorin!" at every opportunity.

4. In a hall in the town? Hole in the wall? Anyway, there are lots of people there, so maybe it's some sort of party or other. There were some Elves there, who got all worked up about the dwarves, I think. (Not too sure about this one either...)

5. Because they are expensive guests (I suppose they eat much and such... not to mention all the hair products those dwarves would need after their spell in the dungeons and then in the water).

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 18 2013, 7:51pm

Post #4 of 44 (322 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Complete guess: Dori.

Apples.

3. Bilbo has a shocking cold while the Company is in Esgaroth. Once he is well enough to venture out, to what words are his speeches at banquets limited? (You must give the exact quotation for credit.)
"Thag you very buch."

4. Where is the Master of Laketown when Thorin and his companions are first brought to him?
At table (dinner).

5. Name one of two reasons explicitly given regarding why the Master was not at all sorry to see the Dwarves go.
They had become very popular, which worried the less than stirling Master.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Eruwestial37
Lorien

Feb 18 2013, 8:38pm

Post #5 of 44 (310 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much, Ro! [In reply to] Can't Post

1) The first Dwarf out of the barrels was Tinkerbelle. This adventure was the last straw! She shaved, grew wings and flitted off to find Peter Pan.
2) Fili got lucky. He was floating high and dry due to the styrofoam pellets in his barrel. Took him days to get them out of his hair, beard and <ahem> elsewhere
3) Duh, huh and anything they rhyme with.
4) In his wine cellar relabeling bottles of whiskey as "Dorwinian Wine". Despite the added cost, he found the improved trade agreements with Mirkwood more than made up the difference. Drunk or hung over Elves do not bargain wisely. That's how they ended up with Dol Guldur as a neighbor in the first place. He thought he'd never unload that property!
5) a-They ate everything in sight and cooked it on fires kindled from his best furniture and
b-Thorin's hair kept clogging up the drains in the bathhouse.

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Feb 18 2013, 9:01pm

Post #6 of 44 (305 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Thorin! (And, no, I don't just say it for extra credit. It is a fact)
2. Apples
3. "Thag you very buch!"
4. He's at the feast.
5. Dwarves are expensive to keep.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2013, 9:14pm

Post #7 of 44 (328 views)
Shortcut
Answers #4 [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Uhm, A wet, wrinkled, twisted, bumped, grumpy, dirty, twig in beard, de-majestified Thorin. Luckily when he dried up, because of all the hair strengthener, his hair jumped right back into majestic mode (and Ro could oogle a bit more).

2. Those nasty, jucky, Pippin's favorites, apples. And on a very personal note, I can totally understand Fili. When I was ill when I was a kid, my mum made me drink apple juice, because it was healthy. Still, when I smell apple juice, I feel sick in my stomach. So I can very much relate to Fili, poor thing. So if he needs a companion, he can come my way, there are no apples here (and I don't mind some Fili companion).

3. Between a lot of sneezes, sniffs, aaaaaaccccchhhhoooos, coughs and nose blowing, I think I heard somewhere a "thag you very buch" (or when you read it in Dutch you would get a "dang u vel").

4. In a large hall, with elves. Always the same with those elves tralalaly-ing and just merry making, as if there isn't a big dragon on the loose on the other side of that lake!

5. Any idea how much a party costs with dwarves??? And how annoying that King under the Mountain song is??? It is such an earworm, it sticks with you and won't go away for era's and when you hear something enough, you will start to believe it is the truth. And the Masters hair conditioner was running low, with Thorin using it a couple of times a day.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2013, 9:51pm

Post #8 of 44 (311 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

All of them.

Thorin was the first dwarf to be released from his barrel, Fili was the first dwarf to be released from his barrel, Kili was the first dwarf to be released from his barrel, Balin was the first dwarf to be released from his barrel....etc. etc. until the teacher scream and throws chalk at me.

Apples. iPods, iPads, iMacs, and one good old Mac Plus.

Friends, Rohans, Countrymen, lend me your rears.
I come to bury Smaug, not to praise him.

At a banquet

1) They were eating all his food/taking up supplies
2) He kept having embarrassing moments as he hit on the bearded ones, thinking they were wormen.

Feeling good about this one - thanks Ro!

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2013, 11:34pm

Post #9 of 44 (293 views)
Shortcut
*Rolls up sleeves* [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this chapter, and the smell of apples always reminds me of the barrels, and grumpy dwarves.

Ooooh, this is hard. I think it was Balin.

Apples! Yum, apple pie. Cool

"Thag you very buch"

It was a meeting hall or some sort of gathering.

They were expensive! And the Master was afraid that word would get to the Elves that the dwarves had arrived in their barrels, so he didn't want any trouble with them. And finally, he was sad that his hair could not compete with Thorin's, so Thorin had to go.

So sorry you have a cold, Ro. Take care of yourself!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 18 2013, 11:52pm

Post #10 of 44 (312 views)
Shortcut
Quiz #4 [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The first out of the barrel was a mass of flowing hair, followed by Thorin. And then his pants.

2. Apple pie, apple cobbler, baked apples, apple butter and apple strudel. Yum.

3. Oh, I knew I should have taken Airborne before this adventure! Hall's menthol lozenges? Thag you very buch!

4. Throwing an Oscar party, chatting on TORn Tuesday, searching the forums for mentions of the Master of Laketown, in the comfort of the Community Center in Laketown (with free Wi-fi).

5. Well, with the Dwarves table manners being what they are, he wanted them to leave because of all the belching and whatnot, and they cost a pretty penny in air filters and plumbing repair.

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 19 2013, 12:57am

Post #11 of 44 (293 views)
Shortcut
Another crack at it [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Thorin was the first one out upong landing on shore

2. Apples

3. Bilbo said. "That DayQuil is awesome! I don't know who makes it but they can have a share of the treasure."

4. He is in the market area of town in the great hall feasting.

5. The dwarves were expensive and they kept business from getting done

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Feb 19 2013, 1:05am

Post #12 of 44 (283 views)
Shortcut
Answers #4 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin

Apples, oranges, peaches and watermelon

Thag you very buch.

Dancing in the streets.

Because they were expenisve and the Master of Laketown is greedy.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2013, 1:09am

Post #13 of 44 (291 views)
Shortcut
*hands Ro a [In reply to] Can't Post

handkerchief* Hmm, red silk, must be one of the ones Elrond loaned Bilbo!

Bombur. His barrel was splitting at the seams!
(Actually, it was Thorin. And the first thing he did was ensure that the bottles of shampoo and conditioner hidden in an inner jacket pocket were unbroken. He would be needing them!)

Dorwinion wine - the best stuff. The boards were saturated with it, so he came out of there rather, ah, "pickled".
(Apples.)

3. Bilbo has a shocking cold while the Company is in Esgaroth. Once he is well enough to venture out, to what words are his speeches at banquets limited?
Thag you very buch. (And might I please have another hot toddy?)

In the "throne" room. (What do they do for sanitary facilities, out over a lake? Yecch!)
(Stuffing his face at a banquet.)

They had hacked into his computer and were downloading pictures of the centerfolds from online editions of "Beard Fancy" magazine. Except for Thorin, he was doing Google searches for the latest in hairbraiding styles.
(They were disrupting life around the Town, and no one was getting any work done.)

Here, Ro, have a hot toddy, Bilbo requested an extra one for you! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2013, 1:17am

Post #14 of 44 (280 views)
Shortcut
Heh! [In reply to] Can't Post

"dang u vel" - that almost sounds like he's swearing at them! Laugh

Is that a nasally version of the actual translation for "thank you very much"?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2013, 1:19am

Post #15 of 44 (273 views)
Shortcut
Love your answer to #2! // [In reply to] Can't Post

ryouko
Lorien

Feb 19 2013, 1:27am

Post #16 of 44 (279 views)
Shortcut
answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Oscar

2. Monkeys

3. "Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"

4. In the bath. *shudders* Still traumatized by that scene in the second Sherlock Holmes movie.

5. They broke up his furniture for a campfire, and you don't want to know what they did to the bathroom!

GwaihirWindLord

Feb 19 2013, 2:32am

Post #17 of 44 (287 views)
Shortcut
This is a tough one! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Well I don't think it was Thorin, or his hair (which took a separate barrel to stay dry) so perhaps...Bombur? Just using logic, his barrel would ride the lowest and so Bilbo would know for sure there was a dwarf in that one.

2. Apples, and he was driven mad by the smell of them! It would be rather hard to smell food for days while fasting involuntarily. Though bacon would have been worse!

3. "Thag you berry buch" I believe, although the spelling is a bit tricky. That was always my favorite part as a kid, I loved when writers would use phonetic spelling for accents or speech variances.

4. Oh dear...in the counting house, counting all his money? Or maybe nastily eating his food, ala Denethor Frown

5. Well they had been eating and drinking all his fine stores, and rousing the people to talk and sing of better times. And of course he did not really believe their stories, or that they could even make it to the mountain. So I suppose he was happy to have his life, resources and control of the town firmly back in his disgusting hands. I absolutely cannot wait to to see what monstrosity PJ turns Stephen Fry into!

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2013, 5:10am

Post #18 of 44 (284 views)
Shortcut
Fourth SAST answer set EVAH!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Balin (Brainlessly Arbitrary, Let's Introduce Name.)

Sausages? (Some Arbitrary, Unknown Something, Answer
Generally Escapes Somehow.)

Thag you very buch. Or, Bang, youth hairy punch. He had a cold and it was hard to tell.

In his Hall? In the TV room trying to set his DVR for Game of Thrones.

Because the sooner they are on their way, the sooner the King Under the Mountain's restoration. Ah heck, show me to the Bench already.

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

(This post was edited by Ruxendil_Thoorg on Feb 19 2013, 5:13am)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2013, 6:18am

Post #19 of 44 (270 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

the-without-a-cold-version would be "Dank u wel"

The a in dang would be pronounced as the a in -man in Saruman (pfff, hard to explain pronounciation when not pronouncing Crazy)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2013, 6:24am

Post #20 of 44 (310 views)
Shortcut
Here you go! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm.....a bedraggled one with a beard, and I think his "color" was hard to distinguish. Name....hmm.....I'll go with Balin, though I expect I'm wrong.

Apples.

Thag you very buch.

He was the Elvis of Middle-earth.
...no need to thank me for the mental image. Angelic

Feasting with a large group, I do believe. Though I have little hope that his table manners will come across any better on screen than Denethor's.

He was rather annoyed at their being made much of because of the prophecy, while mooching off the town.

Top 10 Unstated Reasons the Master wanted the Dwarves gone:
10. He could never get their names straight.
9. Quaffing and burping contests.
8. They kept wiping their muddy boots on his treasure chests.
7. They threw out all of his blue cheese.
6. Townswomen trying to fake 5 o'clock shadows
5. Greeting by head-butt was beginning to catch on.
4. He was forced to go vegetarian because all that was left in the larder was "green food".
3. Even Alfrid showed up for work with a braid in his hair.
2. Nightly sing-alongs around the furniture-fueled campfire.
1. Thorin Groupies

Silverlode

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2013, 6:30am

Post #21 of 44 (285 views)
Shortcut
I don't understand... [In reply to] Can't Post

what is going on in the formatting of my posts. Every time I reply to one of these it posts with randomly selected font sizes. Weird. I'd edit it, but it looks suspicious when one edits a quiz reply post. Tongue

Silverlode

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2013, 10:20am

Post #22 of 44 (306 views)
Shortcut
*tries to keep a straight face* [In reply to] Can't Post

*and fails*

Bwahahaha!!! Erm...I think quizmistresses are supposed to remain impartial, at least until Results are posted, but...that list is hilarious! Sly Especially #6. ROFL!

You forgot the Top 11-16 Unstated Reasons the Master Wanted the Dwarves Gone:

16. You should see what they've done to Laketown's plumbing.
15. The cats in town were going hungry, as Dwalin kept eating all the fish heads.
14. Bard looked ridiculous with his new starfish hairdo.
13. The nightly "Blunt the knives" plate-frisbee dishwashing sessions were REALLY getting on his nerves.
12. Fili and Kili wouldn't stop sneaking up behind him and shrieking like Orcs.
11. When he tried imitating Thorin's Backstory Pose, no one noticed.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2013, 12:13pm

Post #23 of 44 (268 views)
Shortcut
Bwahaha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially at #14 and #11. LaughLaughLaugh

Silverlode

sador
Half-elven

Feb 19 2013, 12:38pm

Post #24 of 44 (269 views)
Shortcut
Ice cream! [In reply to] Can't Post

The large dog in a small kennel. The returning king under the mountain of paperwork (and hair!). Whatever the question it, he's the answer.
Thorin.

Actually - "Whatever the question it, he's the answer" - that should be me! Today, I am 42! Ice cream, anyone?

Corned beef cans. And then soap, carrots and sometimes cherries (in the season). They once tried to use it for ice cream - but then the dragon snored, and it all melted.
But on the last few trips, in was full of apples; and the young toss-pot protege of Galion's didn't scrub it properly - so the barrel was full of the smell!

"Do, de ice cleam is no good vor be dow. Thag you very buch."

Of course, he censored the first sentence whenever he recounted this episode back in the Shire. A hobbit refusing ice cream? They would immediately realise he was unhinged, force him into an asylum, and then Lobelia would add the rest of the cutlery to the ice-cream spoons she took already.

At a feast. To be exact, at the salads stage. With Bilbo's usual luck, the meats were still roasting - so they came just in time.

And at desert...

Much to the Master's chagrin, Thorin took a second helping, when there was not enough for the wood-elves. How he scowled!

He resented the Roayl Appetite and Sweet Tooth. The Master had no stomach for competing with him, accomodating his tastes and footing the bill.
Also, Thorin and co. were being feted all around town, and business (except for speculation in real estate near Dale) ground down to a halt in the long holiday. Everyone was just strolling around the quays, sightseeing the Mountain, cheering whenever any of the dwarves showed his red nose (at least, Bilbo's was very red), drinking and making merry, and eating... well, you know what.

(This post was edited by sador on Feb 19 2013, 12:45pm)

Elvanui
Rivendell

Feb 19 2013, 12:39pm

Post #25 of 44 (269 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's name may pop up a few times.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's see!

Thorin!

Thorin, or apples! I seem to remember one of them complaining about the smell of apples.

Thag you very buch Laugh

At a banquet of special magnificence? I don't know. I think there's a party going on and he gets all angsty because the Dwarves are put in places of honour at his banquet. *Pouts*

Thorin - he was well jealous of his lion's mane. Have you seen pictures of the guy? Yeesh. Oh, that and the Dwarves were eating him out of house and home (again, that's a dim memory).

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.