First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2013, 12:58am

Post #51 of 58 (406 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I love his portrayal of Balin. What a talented actor he is! Balin has always been a likeable character on the book, one of my favorites. Ken Stott really develops The character in a way that makes you like him even more. He brings so much depth to Balin's character!

He really is the glue. The dwarf grandfatherly sage that keeps that group going. I just love in the prologue how Thorin saves him when the dragon attacks and grabs him behind that pillar. I also think it's brilliant that he, instead of Thorin, is the eldest of the group. it really makes him stand out. I love his beard, I love his acting and just the way he conveys Balin's whole desire to see the quest through. I really now do cry in FOTR when we find his tomb in the MInes of Moria. it gives that scene so much more depth now (along with the scene where Gandalf talks to Frodo about the sparing of gollum by Bilbo). Brilliant. Just love it.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 18 2013, 1:19am

Post #52 of 58 (424 views)
Shortcut
Not sure why balin leaves but (just a guess) SPOILERS like everything else I seem to post - [In reply to] Can't Post

I think after the heartbreaking loss of Thorin and the boys, Erebor will be a bittersweet victory for Balin. I think that with the loss of "his" King, Erebor will simply be too painful a memory for him. Just guessing...but we will see how it plays out.

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Feb 18 2013, 1:21am)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2013, 1:39am

Post #53 of 58 (400 views)
Shortcut
Agreed.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2013, 3:20am

Post #54 of 58 (418 views)
Shortcut
Interesting point about Balin and "his" king. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin's heroics at Azanulbizar obviously completely won over Balin, making Thorin fit to be king in Balin's eyes. What about Dain? I've been wondering if he's going to be sufficiently sympathetic for us, as the audience, to be won over; but possibly more interesting will be whether he earns that same respect in Balin's eyes as was afforded Thorin. Will Dain be one that Balin can call king, or will the loss of Thorin and the princes simply be too much for Balin to bear? Maybe that really is the reason Balin leaves for Moria: Balin simply can't call him king. I really wonder how this is going to be set up in TABA.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2013, 5:27am

Post #55 of 58 (390 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting idea there. [In reply to] Can't Post

I too wonder about Dain and whether Balin can accept him as King. Good points you made. It's not that long after Bilbo returns to Bag End that Balin follows and says his goodbyes on the way to Moria. That kind of could get dicey there though if Dain is not too sympathetic a character. It may leave the audience feeling like there's unfinished business. It will be interesting to see and I look forward to how it's played out.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2013, 8:03am

Post #56 of 58 (403 views)
Shortcut
Balin [In reply to] Can't Post

...I love the brilliant character design for all 13 Dwarves, but Balin stands out, partly due to the great visual design of the face, hair, costume, the whole package... and partly due to an apparently awesome actor underneath. for this middle aged female fan, he projects an odd and loveable combination of cuddly Grandpa Santa (pleeeeeeez make me a plushy!) and Wise Elder... and then he picks up that mace and proves you better watch out for those old guys....

Go outside and play...

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Feb 18 2013, 10:54am

Post #57 of 58 (394 views)
Shortcut
I like his flourish with his mace [In reply to] Can't Post

on a bridge in goblin town, he just stands in one place manouvering his torso and mace and takes out 3 goblins and makes it look stylish and easy with a smile on his face.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Feb 18 2013, 10:56am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 19 2013, 1:17am

Post #58 of 58 (552 views)
Shortcut
Balin's loyalty [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a feeling runs very, very deep. Plus his devotion to Thorin as his "young" Prince and the combined feeling Balin clearly had for the house of Durin in Thror (and probably of Thrain as well though we don't see it shown) have probably earned a collective and lifelong love from someone like Balin. Hard for me to believe that Dain could earn that or greater from Balin, especially since Dain disappointed Thorin in his time of need at the beginning of the quest for Erebor. Balin might even have some emnity (perhaps?) after the boys and Thorin fall, feeling some blame towards the Iron Hills for the isolation of the Company. Even with Thorin's madness, I have no doubt Balin's loyalty and love for Thorin hold true and that he recognizes DS for what it is.

It's almost impossible for me to see Dain taking Thorin's place with Balin.

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.