Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
6 years ago today our Boards were re-board... I mean... re-born!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 17 2013, 9:56pm

Post #1 of 22 (288 views)
Shortcut
6 years ago today our Boards were re-board... I mean... re-born! Can't Post

February 17, 2007

I wish I knew how many people were registered here on that day; but I've tried to remember to check over the past few years... ever since we knew The Hobbit was being made. I figured we'd have a little bit of an increase in new sibbies :D

CHEERS TORn Boards! What a great home you are!

Registered TORn members:
February 17, 2011 – 5,907
February 17, 2012 – 7,439 – 1,532 added in 1 year! (year of The Hobbit filming)
February 17, 2013 – 9,381 – 1,942 registered users added in the past year (year of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey release)

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 17 2013, 9:59pm

Post #2 of 22 (176 views)
Shortcut
In some ways it seems longer than that. [In reply to] Can't Post

And gosh, just think of all the movie dramas that has happened during that time. And now we have a flash new film to indulge in!

Cheers, gramma!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 17 2013, 10:33pm

Post #3 of 22 (170 views)
Shortcut
I am pretty sure I was [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to post back in the day but forgot my user name/password/email and was away for many years. I have lurked for awhile since and then resubbed. Glad i did. I like these boards so much. Very nice and thought provoking peeps posting.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 17 2013, 11:52pm

Post #4 of 22 (189 views)
Shortcut
If you go to the index page for any of the boards... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and click the link at top right that says 'age', it will invert the order of the threads from last thread posted listed first to first thread posted listed first.

It's fun to do that and see the first threads posted on that day.

What I want, and will probably never get, is a copy of those teaser posts that Altaira made leading up to the announcement.

And, at some point, we're going to want a Mathom-house history article on the new boards so everyone post your memories of that day both here at these boards and back at the old boards. I remember virtually walking around the old ones as that Fiesta Friday thread petered out and the room cleared. It was good to get the new boards but a bit sad to leave the old ones.

sigh

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 18 2013, 1:23am

Post #5 of 22 (183 views)
Shortcut
Here are some fun stats on new users! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've wanted to do this for an Ent's age, and what better day to do it than today. Smile I'd eventually like to it by day, or at least by week, to see how much membership spiked with certain news - but that will have to wait for a day when I have more free time.

We had 175 members in the first 24 hours the new boards existed. I'm pretty sure that's the all-time record. We've had over 100 new members on big news days, but I don't remember it ever exceeding 175 in any other 24-hour period. The 'by year' stats are below.

Thanks for starting this thread, gramma! Happy Birthday TORn boards. Here's to another 6 great years!! HeartCoolSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 18 2013, 2:14am

Post #6 of 22 (160 views)
Shortcut
I take it that the 2012/13 number [In reply to] Can't Post

is only for part of the year? Are you counting from the start of July to the end of June?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2013, 2:52am

Post #7 of 22 (173 views)
Shortcut
If you ever feel "nostalgic"... [In reply to] Can't Post

...remember that Altaira posted links to the final pages of the old boards in the Welcome Board! Smile

Happy Birthday, TORn Boards II! Only six years ago? And what an amazing six years it's been...we even had to have another Board added! Shocked

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 18 2013, 3:05am

Post #8 of 22 (153 views)
Shortcut
Feb 17 to Feb 17 of each year [In reply to] Can't Post

And, before anyone points it out, I know that the total on my table is 9,400 which is slightly more than our current membership of 9,384. That's because there are 25 users per page on the display I was using, so I counted the number of pages that elapsed from 2/17/07 to 2/17/08, etc. and multiplied x 25 users per page. I didn't bother adjusting 'down' for the last page of the 2012/13 year. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Feb 18 2013, 3:08am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 18 2013, 4:52am

Post #9 of 22 (181 views)
Shortcut
I remember getting teary-eyed at the Reading Room thread. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's still pretty sweet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 18 2013, 10:51am

Post #10 of 22 (162 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday TORn boards! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's to many more! I'm estimating that next year there will be 11653 users.

Laugh

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 18 2013, 3:09pm

Post #11 of 22 (145 views)
Shortcut
Six years?!?! [In reply to] Can't Post

If you'd asked me I'd have said three, maybe.... Well, once I started thinking about it I'd have known it was more.

Thanks to all who have provided such a lovely cyber-home!

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 18 2013, 4:54pm

Post #12 of 22 (151 views)
Shortcut
Lily , that means we have, [In reply to] Can't Post

6yrs betwixt us, because i figure the same. Geez, that means it takes both of us, to get this thing straightCrazyLaugh.

Ciars
Rohan

Feb 18 2013, 6:12pm

Post #13 of 22 (149 views)
Shortcut
Raises a glass [In reply to] Can't Post

Slainte! Wow, six years? I remember the almost panic of the last fiesta on the old boards and the nervous registration on the " new". I first posted a ringer review here after seeing FOTR, and after a short period of lurking was a poster from then on, I remember the announcement of the new boards and the excitement/ trepidation before they were unveiled. Time flies by but TORN remains a familiar comfortable home.

(This post was edited by Ciars on Feb 18 2013, 6:13pm)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 18 2013, 8:43pm

Post #14 of 22 (121 views)
Shortcut
Two heads are better than one, sil [In reply to] Can't Post

Us, ahem, older folk need all the help we can get Tongue

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 19 2013, 5:42pm

Post #15 of 22 (116 views)
Shortcut
Happy B-Day Board [In reply to] Can't Post

I've lurked for a long time until talking with a few of the other staffers at comic-con last July. Finally decided to join up and converse with my fellow fans of Middle-earth. Cool

Moahunter
Rohan

Feb 20 2013, 1:07am

Post #16 of 22 (116 views)
Shortcut
What is the "churn" of membership? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there any way to assess "dead"membership?
I assume that once registered and with only 1 posting, however long ago, membership numbers just go on increasing with every new registration.

squire
Valinor

Feb 20 2013, 1:20am

Post #17 of 22 (109 views)
Shortcut
"Now who left that broken glass in the fireplace?" [In reply to] Can't Post

asked FarFromHome. "Someone up to no good, I'll warrant!"

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 20 2013, 3:10am

Post #18 of 22 (95 views)
Shortcut
Sheesh... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just did that nostalgic walk-down-memory-lane thing (briefly) through the last Fiesta threads on Main...I have to say I do miss the old boards, and there were a lot of nicks in those threads that I sure miss. Thanks for sharing the link to those links.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 20 2013, 3:26am

Post #19 of 22 (111 views)
Shortcut
I absolutely cannot believe it's been six years! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good lord, where has the time gone?

I still can't believe it's been *11 years* since I signed up here. I don't *feel* 11 years older! I do, however, feel 11 years tireder, which I think results from three young kids.

This place is finally starting to feel a bit like home, though I do still miss the old boards. They were our first home and they'll always have a very special place in my heart!

Happy Birthday, New Boards, and here's to many more!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 20 2013, 1:42pm

Post #20 of 22 (80 views)
Shortcut
You can see that for yourself [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a bunch of members who never logged in, or who have 1 or 2 posts.

You can sort the Member Directory by number of posts. Go to Who's Online from the menu, then click on View Member Directory. Click on any of the header fields to sort - so you can click on the Posts header to sort the list by number of posts. I think the default sort is largest to smallest, so you have to click twice on Posts to see the users who have no posts.

Many of the members who never logged in were sent a verification e-mail, but never clicked on the link in that message. They signed up for the boards, but either the verification e-mail got lost in their spam folder or the registration was not valid. And a lot of the one-time posters were spammers of someone not really interested in joining the conversation.

It's hard to quantify the churn. A large number of the members who never logged in would register under another nick because they really want to join is but missed the verification e-amil. Like all message boards, there are folks who have a passing interest in Tolkien, so they post right when a big event occurs, like Peter announcing he would be the director, but they soon drift off to their other fandoms.

We're lucky that there's a large core of regulars. It keeps the conversations interesting, and there's always something going on. I've been here 11 years, and the excitement never fades. Smile

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 20 2013, 1:51pm

Post #21 of 22 (73 views)
Shortcut
Cheers to TORn! :D :) awesome anniversary. // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Aethelwyne Bolger
Bree

Feb 22 2013, 9:01pm

Post #22 of 22 (65 views)
Shortcut
I've been reading theonering.net since around 2000 [In reply to] Can't Post

But for some reason, I only started posting on the message boards in December of 2011! Why did I wait so long?? I was kind of smitten by HPANA and LOTRplaza for a few years (2002-2007) but you'd have thought I would have discovered the message boards here once I gave those sites up! Blush
Ah well, I'm here now and happy to be here!

Just call me Aethelwyne if I am of Gondorian blood, or Bellawen Bolger of Bree if you like me better as a hobbit ( I can't decide. I thought I was decided, then I finally watched Born of Hope this morning and loved the brave people of the north so I am confused. Perhaps I'll never be able to make a final choice!) Or just call me Audra, I don't mind!

Aethelwyne was so 10 years ago! Bellawen is who I am, right here, right now.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.