Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Tolkien was right

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 17 2013, 8:28pm

Post #1 of 23 (1700 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien was right Can't Post

The battle of five armies should not overwhelm the last movie. (Rumored to be "There and Back Again."

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

andwise
Rivendell

Feb 17 2013, 9:07pm

Post #2 of 23 (903 views)
Shortcut
hmmmm..... [In reply to] Can't Post

While I agree that it shouldn't overwhelm the film completely I have a feeling that it will get a fair amount of screen time,which I'm quite happy about because in the book all we get is a brief re-telling of it later as Bilbo is unconscious for the whole battle.I think for cinematic reasons and to keep tradition with Helms deep and pelanor fields PJ will be making it quite expansive.I hope it doesn't overshadow the rest of the events though,although it IS the climax to the story really where there will be lots of payoffs so I suppose we'll just have to wait and see Smile

Arrow....black arrow,I have saved you to the last.you have never failed me and always I have recovered you.I had you from my father and he from old.if ever you came from the forges of the true king under the mountain,go now and speed well

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 17 2013, 11:35pm

Post #3 of 23 (691 views)
Shortcut
When Will it Happen [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not screenplay writer and I frequently guess incorrectly when making predictions about what will happen in movies. So I have not idea when the BoFA will happen. Will it be in DOS or TABA? If TABA, which is my guess, then beginning, middle or near the end? We know that Bilbo had adventures on his return trip but those would have to be fabricated out of whole cloth so that much of the end of the film would be NITBYK (not in the book, you know). How does everyone feel about that?
If BoFA takes place near the end there would not be much time to get Bilbo home, have the auction and bring the story up to present day (meaning the day of the Long Expected Party).
So, Gentle Posters, what is your guess?
Oh, and yes, it will be a huge set piece.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Feb 18 2013, 12:57am

Post #4 of 23 (640 views)
Shortcut
And will have a long wait. [In reply to] Can't Post

But hopefully, it'll be worth it. Cool

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2013, 1:00am

Post #5 of 23 (695 views)
Shortcut
One of the criticisms of ROTK [In reply to] Can't Post

Was that PJ should have ended the film after the Battle of the Pelennor Fields and Aragorns coronation. I don't agree and I thoroughly enjoyed the slowing down of the heartbeat of the film, leading us back to the Shire and the send off to West. What does everyone else think? I think it's a fine line in film. Film tells the story visually so you have to keep the audience engaged and they need to feel like it's a satisfactory ending.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2013, 1:39am

Post #6 of 23 (641 views)
Shortcut
i think the only way PJ can keep non-book fans appeased with TABA [In reply to] Can't Post

is including appendixes such as the hunt for gollum, gollum entering Mordor ect...i was happy with the slow down at the end of ROTK but alot of people were not but i think at this point PJ might not even care about that.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2013, 1:49am

Post #7 of 23 (595 views)
Shortcut
He should make his film [In reply to] Can't Post

And do it up the way he wants. The critics didn't like this one, some Tolkien fans did not. That's all fine. It's his film. He is the one that has to balance popular appeal with the source material. I think he will do a great job.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2013, 1:50am

Post #8 of 23 (551 views)
Shortcut
Agreed.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

alienorchid
Lorien

Feb 18 2013, 3:25am

Post #9 of 23 (534 views)
Shortcut
I quite like the winding down of RotK [In reply to] Can't Post

after Aragorn is crowned, though I am not a big fan of all the 'fake endings' (where it fades to black before the next scene is shown). So while I hope we see a significant amount of Bilbo's return to the Shire as a more worldly and reflective Hobbit, I hope that it isn't so long that the climax becomes meaningless. I wouldn't want to see any more than a small glimpse of Bilbo's adventures on the way home. I believe the focus should be on how he views the Shire, the world and his own life with new eyes.

cats16
Valinor

Feb 18 2013, 6:07am

Post #10 of 23 (504 views)
Shortcut
There is [In reply to] Can't Post

a very fine line that PJ & Co. will have to straddle for how to end TABA. So many different people with so many different hopes and wants for the climax/ending. But, of course, PJ will do it the way he sees it. And rightly so. But this will be no easy task though, that's for sure. I can't imagine trying to finish that screenplay! It must be heartbreaking.

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 18 2013, 7:17am

Post #11 of 23 (480 views)
Shortcut
Still... [In reply to] Can't Post

... RotK was the most successfull part when it comes to both, sold tickets and awards.

I do not really think he has the feeling he did much wrong with that movie.

I personally think there will be a lot in TABA, especially the lead up to the battle with the Free Peoples at each others throats.

That politics part is the most intruiging part of the last chapters, I think.

But then again, I also believe Smaug will die in the first 20 minutes of TABA and not as a finale of movie 2... so I guess that is another reason why I do not see a problem.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2013, 7:34am

Post #12 of 23 (487 views)
Shortcut
i didn't have a problem with the ending(s) in ROTK [In reply to] Can't Post

an epic trilogy deserves a good conclusion and yes since PJ has won his awards and AUJ did pretty well at the box office i'm sure he will do what he wants in TABA. I hope smaug is concluded in DOS and since smaug is in the title i would assume so...

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 18 2013, 10:53am

Post #13 of 23 (500 views)
Shortcut
When it comes to Tolkien, the only person that is ever right is ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien himself.

I'm sure PJ will give it a good shot though. I'd quite happily have an entire film dedicated to the Battle of Five Armies. It's just too amazing to shorten it.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Feb 18 2013, 2:43pm

Post #14 of 23 (399 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

You can only show so much of one scene before the audience becomes bored with it. The perfect length would be around the same as Helm's Deep in my opinion. It deserves to be the big scene in the movie but not the only scene.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 18 2013, 3:10pm

Post #15 of 23 (427 views)
Shortcut
Reported, not rumured... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The battle of five armies should not overwhelm the last movie. (Rumored to be "There and Back Again."

The third movie was officially announced to be The Hobbit: There and Back Again. Not a rumor by any means.

How much set up will there be before the battle? The Battle of the Five Armies is going to have to be the climax of the film, even though there is a lot of wrap-up that follows it (Dain as king, the funeral of Thorin, the return journey, the auction, and the visit from Gandalf and Balin). I guess that depends on what is resolved by the end of DoS. Personally, I am half-expecting the second film to end with Smaug's attack on Lake-town with the company cowering in the tunnel awaiting his return, with the attack on Dol Guldur resolved at some point earlier.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 18 2013, 3:20pm

Post #16 of 23 (425 views)
Shortcut
There and Back Again [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am not screenplay writer and I frequently guess incorrectly when making predictions about what will happen in movies. So I have not idea when the BoFA will happen. Will it be in DOS or TABA? If TABA, which is my guess, then beginning, middle or near the end? We know that Bilbo had adventures on his return trip but those would have to be fabricated out of whole cloth so that much of the end of the film would be NITBYK (not in the book, you know). How does everyone feel about that?
If BoFA takes place near the end there would not be much time to get Bilbo home, have the auction and bring the story up to present day (meaning the day of the Long Expected Party).
So, Gentle Posters, what is your guess?
Oh, and yes, it will be a huge set piece.

You seem to be familiar enough with the book to realize that the BotFA needs to occur in There and Back Again. More than that, it needs to be the climax of the film (not the end, there is much that still needs to be covered afterward). The more leisurely pace of these Hobbit films should allow for most, if not all, of the highlights of Bilbo's return journey to be covered (although something might be withheld for the Extended Edition). We have the book-end sequences to bring the story forward; the story proper can end with the visit of Gandalf and Balin to Bag End (again, this could be relegated to the EE). One thing that I do want to see is Bilbo admiring the new engraving on Sting that I assume is performed at Rivendell. I also expect a few character cameos at the auction of Bag End (altough they may be hard to spot): Young Primula Brandybuck, her future husband (and Frodo's father) Drogo Baggins, the Mayor of Michel Delving (auctioneer?), Otho & Lobelia Sacksville-Bagginses, etc.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 18 2013, 3:29pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 18 2013, 8:13pm

Post #17 of 23 (343 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit is not a story about a battle [In reply to] Can't Post

just like Two Towers was not all about Helm's Deep. The amazing battle was all in your mind.

Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 18 2013, 8:17pm

Post #18 of 23 (336 views)
Shortcut
I thought The Hobbit: There and Back Again was officially announced to be the second movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

Did I miss something?

Photobucket

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 18 2013, 8:20pm

Post #19 of 23 (331 views)
Shortcut
Of course it's all in my head [In reply to] Can't Post

Just like my infatuation with the talking purse.

It's also a good job that there are 2 other films that concentrate on the actual story of The Hobbit (albeit, with a few deviations here and there).

Though, I do personally think the Battle is "amazing". I've always found it terribly more thrilling and exciting than Helm's Deep and the Siege of Gondor (even combined). It just has more "excitement" - probably because of all the different armies and characters involved. Plus, it has a far dramatic ending than any other War of the Ring battle. I was only half joking about a whole film dedicated to the Battle. A chunk of the film would be great though (to me, of course).

And you know what I really want? A 360 degree cinema screen to watch TABA on. Having the Battle happen around me would be truly "amazing".

Smile

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 18 2013, 8:21pm

Post #20 of 23 (332 views)
Shortcut
It was... [In reply to] Can't Post

That was the title of the second film when there was only going to be the two.

Did you miss something?

Apparently, yes. There and Back Again became the title of the third film after the trilogy was announced and the title of the second film was changed to The Desolation of Smaug.

What happened Kangi? You used to be up on this stuff!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 18 2013, 8:26pm

Post #21 of 23 (326 views)
Shortcut
Can't tell [In reply to] Can't Post

a little leg pullin'?

Photobucket

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 18 2013, 8:29pm

Post #22 of 23 (325 views)
Shortcut
Apparently not (in this case) [In reply to] Can't Post

You seemed sincere!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2013, 8:49am

Post #23 of 23 (324 views)
Shortcut
they should invent a virtual-reality film I totally agree. Now -that- would be compete immersion if you were to be zapped into the screen :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.