Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Candles and lanterns...

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 16 2013, 11:24am

Post #1 of 20 (1090 views)
Shortcut
Candles and lanterns... Can't Post

The opening shot is Bilbo lighting a candle.

In Mirkwood they had neither
according to the book
but for us to see
anything. ..
Beorn..
must give them some.

Torches?
Just like their food running out
candles and lanterns running
OUT,
would be a great way
to show?
How
Desperate
they are....

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Feb 16 2013, 11:26am)

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 16 2013, 12:17pm

Post #2 of 20 (437 views)
Shortcut
Lovely idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't want half of the Mirkwood screen time being blackness on the screen. I only think Peter Jackson would do that if he were running low on the budget. Crazy

I can't think of a better way to show the opening shot!

Smile

s ofereode, isses swa mg - that has passed, so may this.

"Ten percent of nothin' is ... let me do the math here ... nothin' into nothin' ... carry the nothin' ... " - Jayne from Firefly

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 16 2013, 2:17pm

Post #3 of 20 (414 views)
Shortcut
I have really been looking forward [In reply to] Can't Post

to seeing Mirkwood. I have always imagined it a certain way and hopefully PJ will do a great job showing it in DOS.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Slim
Rivendell

Feb 16 2013, 2:54pm

Post #4 of 20 (377 views)
Shortcut
Me too :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the Mirkwood part in the book! It just feels so...enchanted, like how a fantasy forest should be. Can't wait to see PJ's version!

imin
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 2:57pm

Post #5 of 20 (400 views)
Shortcut
Me to but after AUJ i am not gonna hold my breath! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have always imagined it a certain way.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 16 2013, 4:50pm

Post #6 of 20 (355 views)
Shortcut
Let there be some kind of light. [In reply to] Can't Post

The thing is this is a movie. Just like the Riddles in the Dark scene, you have to have some light. A move tells a story visually and thus there has to be a light medium. It wouldn't cut it for it to be pitch black (just like the riddles in the dark scene would not have worked visually if it was pitch black like it was in the book).

So much of a movie is about the actors, the facial expressions and the story is conveyed that way (CGI Notwithstanding).

I think a torch makes more sense than a candle. They will need some source of light..from somewhere..so the story can be visually told.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Feb 16 2013, 5:22pm

Post #7 of 20 (353 views)
Shortcut
Wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

there have been dozens of films that have used darkness in much more interesting and effective ways than AUJ, which lacks darkness.

One of the big complaints at cinemacon was precisely the lack of darkness.

I suspect mirkwood will not be as visually impressive as i could be. Fangorn wasnt that great as a set, and after seeing Goblin Town and CGI Rivendell, i am not holding my breath...

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 16 2013, 7:19pm

Post #8 of 20 (324 views)
Shortcut
From the Vblogs [In reply to] Can't Post

When we saw the set they had to add a
lot of red because of the cameras
so there must be some reflections.

like lembas bread they will need
to ration their Torches.

Also there are lots of little pairs of eyes blinking in the distance.

Oin's parasite
Rivendell

Feb 16 2013, 8:18pm

Post #9 of 20 (312 views)
Shortcut
I really never imagined Mirkwood to be PITCH black... [In reply to] Can't Post

Would not even assume that it would be in the movie. Hence no major need for candles in my eyes.

"I've got parasites as big as my arm!"

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 16 2013, 9:16pm

Post #10 of 20 (277 views)
Shortcut
OK already [In reply to] Can't Post

Production diary 4
6 minutes in...
PJ says it will be
color graded and muted. .so the audience will
see..

But there are times. ..
its gonna bE..
night in Mirkwood![

Which is what
Bomby wazz proposing...

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 16 2013, 9:32pm

Post #11 of 20 (268 views)
Shortcut
I don't think... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that anyone would want to sit in the dark in the middle of Mirkwood. Unsure What with the giant spiders and I-don't-know-what other creatures about... (shudder) I see a definite need for some source of light. I'm not sure how effective candles would be in that sort of environment, but torches would be helpful.

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 16 2013, 9:59pm

Post #12 of 20 (267 views)
Shortcut
I loved the psychedelic look in the vlog. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was actually kind of sad it was going to be graded and muted. Given how neutral and brown their everyday life is in Middle Earth, can you imagine how scary a really colorful place full of spiders and menacing elves would be? Like you had stepped into a nightmare. But that would be totally at odds with the book, and the scary/dark aspect of that sequence.

They have used torches pretty sparingly so far. They had them when they went into the troll hoard, and Dwalin had a lantern in the mountain cave, but otherwise they don't show up (or they avoid tramping around in the dark).

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 16 2013, 10:20pm

Post #13 of 20 (245 views)
Shortcut
It's for looks anyway [In reply to] Can't Post

The torches would be for looks. Any movie "lighting" is going to involve using what they have on the stage and trying to balance the feel of the scene vs. the need for light to see the scene. Shelob's tunnels were dark, yet had some sources of light and I thought was done well. You can have "darkness". you just can't have it pitch black and not be able to see the actors, their faces, etc. It just doesn't work that way.

I think they will balance it. I'm looking forward to it.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 16 2013, 10:34pm

Post #14 of 20 (271 views)
Shortcut
Pitch black... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not during the day, but at night the darkness in Mirkwood was so profound that Bilbo literally could not see his hand before his face. However, he and the dwarves could see the eyes glittering in the dark.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Slim
Rivendell

Feb 17 2013, 7:20am

Post #15 of 20 (181 views)
Shortcut
Your post gave me an idea [In reply to] Can't Post

... that I would love to see a brief moment of pitch-black in Mirkwood (like in the beginning of Moria in FotR), used to a certain type of effect (creepy, comical, surprise, whatever). For example, I would love to hear one of the dwarves complain in total darkness, before someone lights a fire :P

Eyes glittering in the darkness during that brief pitch-black moment would be cool too -- but that would be a bit problematic, because if I remember correctly in the book the company finally decided NOT to light a fire, because it attracted more unwelcome attention from the watching eyes...

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 17 2013, 2:21pm

Post #16 of 20 (150 views)
Shortcut
That would be great! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... that I would love to see a brief moment of pitch-black in Mirkwood (like in the beginning of Moria in FotR), used to a certain type of effect (creepy, comical, surprise, whatever). For example, I would love to hear one of the dwarves complain in total darkness, before someone lights a fire :P

Eyes glittering in the darkness during that brief pitch-black moment would be cool too -- but that would be a bit problematic, because if I remember correctly in the book the company finally decided NOT to light a fire, because it attracted more unwelcome attention from the watching eyes...

I think that would be completely awesome. I would love to see that and I think it would be a very effective way to get the creepiness of the place across to the audience.

telcontar7
The Shire

Feb 17 2013, 3:40pm

Post #17 of 20 (139 views)
Shortcut
Wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

Fangorn looked great and so did Rivendell. I'm not sure how one can think that future scenes will look terrible because of that.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 17 2013, 4:00pm

Post #18 of 20 (134 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Fangorn looked great and so did Rivendell. I'm not sure how one can think that future scenes will look terrible because of that.

Well I think it's a matter of inidividual likes or dislikes. It's not right or wrong, it's just whether one disagrees or or not. I personally liked both Fangorn and Rivendell. I also thought Shelob's lair was done well (another area where darkness was required) as well as the whole environment around Minas Morgul and the stairs. Some folks though want it to be different. As I said it's a matter of personal likes.

I think Mirkwood is going to be great and I can't wait to see how it's done. It's a journey to me. I'm enjoying it.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 17 2013, 4:50pm

Post #19 of 20 (138 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, i thought Fangorn looked great. [In reply to] Can't Post

I see Fangorn get a lot of hate around here, and i've never fully understood why. Maybe it's the dodgy blue screen compositing, maybe people don't like Treebeard or think he's boring. But i've always loved the actual design of Fangorn. Very ancient and twisted. And even though the story of that whole part of TTT (the hobbits convincing Treebeard to fight) is pretty clunky, i really like those scenes, and i love Treebeard-- his look and how he's portrayed, and Merry and Pippin's interactions with him (even the extra bits in the EE). It's part of the reason that TTT is my favorite of the trilogy. I just wish getting Treebeard to go to battle had been a bit more subtle. But when he finally does decide and the ents march off to battle, it's one of the my favorite moments of the entire trilogy, especially Howard Shore's music.

I'm hoping Mirkwood has that same ancient feel, but with a lot more density of vegetation (which the vlogs bear out), and much darker.

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 17 2013, 6:32pm

Post #20 of 20 (176 views)
Shortcut
I liked Fangorn, too [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Fangorn was fine. For Mirkwood I would expect something a bit murkier, though, where the light doesn't get through the vegetation and consequently it has a more suffocating feel to it. I've been to forests that were in bad need of thinning out, and on an overcast day, they felt really close and dark, with a damp smell and very confusing. That would be what I imagine Mirkwood to look like, with giant spiders and other strange bits that do not occur in nature thrown in.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.