Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
How many young people/teenagers on TORN?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 15 2013, 8:32pm

Post #1 of 61 (555 views)
Shortcut
How many young people/teenagers on TORN? Can't Post

I was wondering the other day about how many Tolkien aficionados there are under the ages of 18 on the site, and in general. I'm fifteen, and I've never met anyone except a boy in my class who has read "The Hobbit".

So my question is, how were all the people/teenagers/adolescents/children(whichever term you prefer) on this site introduced to Tolkien and/or Peter Jackson's movies? It would be nice to know that other kids my age are enjoying the books I do. Smile

Žęs ofereode, žisses swa męg - that has passed, so may this.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Feb 15 2013, 9:32pm

Post #2 of 61 (346 views)
Shortcut
Fear not, you are not alone [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm 17 and I find it irritating that one of the most popular works of fiction of all time seems to have such a small following among my age group (at least here in the UK). I know one or two people who are fans but perhaps only one of them comes close to my level of interest.

I discovered LOTR quite by coincidence when I saw FotR on TV at the age of 7. I remember being in complete and utter awe of Gandalf and crying for hours afterward when I thought he had died. Since that day my life was never the same again, it had improved 100% for the better. By the time I had seen The Two Towers I was dying to read LOTR, which I managed to do along with The Hobbit before RotK came out. The Silmarillion along with the rest of Tolkien's work I read a few years later. I've read LOTR ten times since then, and The Hobbit more times than I would care to remember due to its simplicity and length (or lack of).

It's fortunate I found this site, because I've been longing to talk to like-minded people for years!Smile

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

The White Wizard
The Shire

Feb 16 2013, 1:35am

Post #3 of 61 (306 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am 15 also, and I have read TH, all three LOTR and am reading the Silmarillion. I actually know 3 people under 18 who have read The Hobbit and LOTR. I was introduced to Tolkien first by watching the LOTR movies. After that, I read The Hobbit, then I read The Lord of the Rings, and I am now reading the Silmarillion. I have watched The Hobbit 7 times in theaters also.

True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one.

(This post was edited by The White Wizard on Feb 16 2013, 1:39am)

Ardamķrė
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 1:49am

Post #4 of 61 (302 views)
Shortcut
Well I'm not your age now... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I was 10 when I first read The Hobbit and then started on LOTR. I'm sure there are a great many other people who are older now but that started out young like you. Rest assured you're not alone Smile

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 16 2013, 2:07am

Post #5 of 61 (297 views)
Shortcut
My boys aren't on the site [In reply to] Can't Post

but they do tend to read over my shoulder when I'm lurking/posting in here and they're 15, 13 and 9 and love The Hobbit. Middle son is reading The Hobbit at the moment, as is his best mate.

They regularly talk to me about it, so who knows they may sign up.

And as Ardamirė said, there are many of us here who first read The Hobbit and LOTR as children and now post here, even though childhood was a long time ago (I was 8 when I first read LOTR) Smile

Other members have been posting here since their teens and are now college students/graduates.

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 16 2013, 7:26am

Post #6 of 61 (290 views)
Shortcut
You're actually pretty lucky, you know. [In reply to] Can't Post

Those of us who are *ahem* somewhat older, who first fell in love with Tolkien's works when we were your age or younger, didn't have the internet to turn to as we wondered if anyone else out there had ever read his books. Connecting with other Tolkien enthusiasts from around the world simply wasn't possible, and we were limited just to the people we knew around us. Here you've got a fantastic resource, TORn, where you can geek out to your heart's delight.

Rest assured that many of us first delved into Tolkien when we were young. I was probably 11 when I first read The Hobbit, and 12 when I finally read The Lord of the Rings (I had tried a couple of times earlier but kept getting stuck at Tom Bombadil). The books had been highly recommended to me by a good (and much older) family friend, and I'm forever grateful I finally took him up on his suggestion! But I knew no one my age who had even heard of them, let alone actually read them. I dressed as a hobbit three years in a row in high school, and everyone laughed at my furry feet (and had no idea what I was supposed to be) -- fur generously donated by my curly-haired dog.

So, be glad you've got TORn where you're firmly among fellow Tolkien fans!

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 10:23am

Post #7 of 61 (347 views)
Shortcut
Can I join? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't fit the age group now, but I was 17 when I de-lurked and created a message board account.

It depends on where you live, I guess. Most people in my class days where totally obsessed with LOTR and Tolkien. Most friends from that time that I still keep in touch with are just as big fans as they always were, so no, that has not "faded away" throughout the years. Which is a good thing!

I was eleven-twelve something when I read LOTR. Read The Hobbit the year after.

TORN regulars who's been around here for a while knows which one of them I prefer. Tongue

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 16 2013, 11:43am

Post #8 of 61 (273 views)
Shortcut
That's odd. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have thought that more people in the UK liked Tolkien.

I think TORN is the best site for fans of Tolkien. The people here are so friendly, and the discussions range from absolute silliness to downright seriousness. And it's very user-friendly.

It's hard to start a conversation with someone at school with people when all you can talk about is hobbits.Blush

"Ten percent of nothin' is ... let me do the math here ... nothin' into nothin' ... carry the nothin' ... " - Jayne from Firefly

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 16 2013, 11:53am

Post #9 of 61 (265 views)
Shortcut
I know. [In reply to] Can't Post

I could just imagine what it was like to wonder if there were any other fans. I would've tried to "convert" everyone around me...

I also read the Hobbit at eleven and LotR at twelve! I've never been to school dressed completely as a hobbit, but I have gone barefoot with dwarf braids and pointy ears. I take the change whenever we have a civvies day.

So yes, I'm grateful to be among such excellent and admirable Tornadoes. Wink

"Ten percent of nothin' is ... let me do the math here ... nothin' into nothin' ... carry the nothin' ... " - Jayne from Firefly

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 16 2013, 11:56am

Post #10 of 61 (259 views)
Shortcut
Yay for young Tolkien fans! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's nothing like reading/watching LOTR/TH for the first time, is there?

CuriousG
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 2:43pm

Post #11 of 61 (258 views)
Shortcut
Amen to that [In reply to] Can't Post

I too, was born in the First Age, before Aule wrought the Internet and Varda hallowed it, and before the first text message was sent in Sindarin. We had electricity and running water back in those days, but we shunned them and preferred to stay near our caves and keep the fires lit out of habit, and we grunted more than we read.

Tolkien wasn't popular when I was in school, and for the few who read it, their interest was superficial. "Cool battles. Should have been more. Who cares what a hobbit is?" It was futile to talk to other people about how scary the Black Riders are, or what it must be like to spend a week in Lorien, or what you'd do if you had a Ring of Power. This age of connectivity has many merits!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 16 2013, 3:05pm

Post #12 of 61 (242 views)
Shortcut
So true. [In reply to] Can't Post

How did we ever find others of similar enthusiasm, back in those "dark ages"?

My brother told me about The Hobbit when I was 11 or 12, and once reading it, LotR was the natural next step. I was fortunate to have a good friend who was also a fan, and by the time we got to high school we found ourselves amongst a small group of "geeks" who would pass notes to one another in Tengwar, and we had our own Tolkien-type names: "dernwyn" dates from around 1970.

And when Tolkien died, we cried and cried, how could we not: for lost, lost to us were any further tales of Middle-earth - or so we believed! I still have the newspaper clipping from June 1977 which reviewed Carpenter's "Biography", and hinted of the Silmarillion to come...

Just imagine, had we only had Internet (or home computers!) back then! We could have commiserated, and quickly spread every little bit of information about what Christopher was doing, and our grief might not have been so deep!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 16 2013, 3:35pm

Post #13 of 61 (232 views)
Shortcut
My kids are about you age, [In reply to] Can't Post

13 and 15. They love Tolkien's work. Both have read The Hobbit multiple times and both have read LOTR; my 13 year old daughter even started reading The Silmarilion. I love that I can share it with them!
I think it is super cool that people from all over the world can share their thoughts and opinions on a site like this. Your generation is lucky to be connected. I don't let my children be on sites like Facebook, but they are allowed to post on this site.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 16 2013, 4:40pm

Post #14 of 61 (231 views)
Shortcut
I was 16 when I first read LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

45 years ago! But it wasn't until TORn came into being that I found people like me to talk it over with.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 16 2013, 4:47pm

Post #15 of 61 (228 views)
Shortcut
I can see you're a brilliant parent! [In reply to] Can't Post

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 16 2013, 6:44pm

Post #16 of 61 (232 views)
Shortcut
I was young when I became a fan too [In reply to] Can't Post

My 6th grade teacher read The Hobbit in class so I was 10. I soon got my own copy and then my teacher recommended LOTR. I was forever changed for the better. But there weren't really any other fans around me soijust re-read them all every summer until I went to college. There are still very few fans that I know personally so TORN is great for the discussions.

No longer young though...middle aged old maid. Angelic

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 16 2013, 7:04pm

Post #17 of 61 (227 views)
Shortcut
I was around 16 when I first read LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't remember the exact year. But I will say, when I read it - girls weren't allowed to wear pants to school and boys couldn't have sideburns or wear blue jeans in school. And our skirts had to touch the floor if we were to kneel on the ground, so... they had to pretty much cover the knees.

oh, and we had to wear gym suits to gym and they had to be freshly washed and pressed on Mondays.

;-P

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Feb 16 2013, 7:09pm)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 16 2013, 7:16pm

Post #18 of 61 (218 views)
Shortcut
Well, there is college... [In reply to] Can't Post

The only people who had read and liked the series I whom I knew as a kid were adults in my family (parents, grandparents, uncles). Even my sister did not like it. And they weren't that interested in discussing it.

But then I went to college and found people with whom I could discuss the genealogy of the ruling House or Gondor, who could write my name in Tengwar, or what have you...good times.

Now, there is the Internet!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 16 2013, 7:28pm

Post #19 of 61 (208 views)
Shortcut
*cough* I'm 19, that's slightly too old isn't it -__- .... well I think I'm a young person :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 16 2013, 7:30pm

Post #20 of 61 (222 views)
Shortcut
I dunno, Radagast, perhaps you have just been unlucky? Many of the people I know at my age have read Tolkien, and are pretty enthusiastic // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 16 2013, 8:40pm

Post #21 of 61 (207 views)
Shortcut
yes internet fandoms are great now [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Those of us who are *ahem* somewhat older, who first fell in love with Tolkien's works when we were your age or younger, didn't have the internet to turn to as we wondered if anyone else out there had ever read his books. Connecting with other Tolkien enthusiasts from around the world simply wasn't possible, and we were limited just to the people we knew around us. Here you've got a fantastic resource, TORn, where you can geek out to your heart's delight.

Rest assured that many of us first delved into Tolkien when we were young. I was probably 11 when I first read The Hobbit, and 12 when I finally read The Lord of the Rings (I had tried a couple of times earlier but kept getting stuck at Tom Bombadil). The books had been highly recommended to me by a good (and much older) family friend, and I'm forever grateful I finally took him up on his suggestion! But I knew no one my age who had even heard of them, let alone actually read them. I dressed as a hobbit three years in a row in high school, and everyone laughed at my furry feet (and had no idea what I was supposed to be) -- fur generously donated by my curly-haired dog.

So, be glad you've got TORn where you're firmly among fellow Tolkien fans!

There were no computers let along internet when I first read the books back in the 60's. I think it's terrific now that one can connect with people around the world who share your love for the literature. Back in the day I just had to find someone at school or in my town that enjoyed it. Outside of my town, which had less than 25,000 people and was quite rural and isolated, there was no one to share it with. So to me this brings a lot of hope that if the book and the Professor's works could survive in that limited of an environiment, certainly now even more so!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 16 2013, 8:49pm

Post #22 of 61 (217 views)
Shortcut
Most definitely. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
. This age of connectivity has many merits!

I first read LOTR when I was 18 and had no one to talk to about it. One morning I was walking in town and saw a car turn up a hill ahead of me, and its number plate said HOBBIT. I honestly had a split-second impulse to run after the car and talk to the driver!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Feb 16 2013, 9:24pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 16 2013, 8:52pm

Post #23 of 61 (202 views)
Shortcut
And also people of all ages. [In reply to] Can't Post

>>I think it is super cool that people from all over the world can share their thoughts and opinions on a site like this.

I particularly like being able to speak to teenagers, 70-year-olds and every age in between about LOTR and Tolkien. You usually can't tell a person's age online, and hearing the perspectives of different ages has often prompted me to consider this well-known story in an entirely different way.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 16 2013, 9:00pm

Post #24 of 61 (205 views)
Shortcut
Me too.// [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by sherlock on Feb 16 2013, 9:00pm)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Feb 16 2013, 9:31pm

Post #25 of 61 (195 views)
Shortcut
Unlucky?....yep that sounds about right, hehe!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.