Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What would you rather hear?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What would you rather hear?
"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure."
"It's called a Tardis. Want to fly through time and space?"
"This here's Serenity, and there's a space on my gorram crew."
"Your skills would fit nicely in our Avengers initiative."
"You're a wizard - and a thumpin' good one I'd wager."
View Results (123 votes)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 16 2013, 8:03am

Post #26 of 47 (526 views)
Shortcut
Doctors I'd want to travel with... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom Baker, Peter Davison, and David Tennant Smile

I never saw any with William Hartnell; I only saw a few with Patrick Troughton (sp?); John Pertwee was okay, but too posh; I hated Colin Baker Mad; I really liked Sylvester McCoy, but I've only seen a couple of his; Paul McGann was very likable, but he didn't seem as in control as the Dr. should be; I thought Christopher Eccleston was great, but a bit too moodyShocked; I love Matt Smith, but I'd feel like his m...aunt.Wink

(This post was edited by zarabia on Feb 16 2013, 8:05am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 17 2013, 3:18pm

Post #27 of 47 (382 views)
Shortcut
That was a thumpin' good poll!!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 17 2013, 4:03pm

Post #28 of 47 (410 views)
Shortcut
excellent poll! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hard as it was to turn Mal down, I couldn't resist the Doctor. For one thing, he could help me settle that debate about RIchard III and the Princes (I think Rick is innocent).

I'd go with Baker, Eccleston, or Tennant. Tennant would be favorite. Wouldn't turn down Pertwee or Davison.

Silverlode, you've got me thinking about a Serenity/Doctor mashup . . .

(This post was edited by Annael on Feb 17 2013, 4:07pm)

sevilodorf
Gondor

Feb 18 2013, 3:25pm

Post #29 of 47 (395 views)
Shortcut
Never was a Dr Who fan [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think Heinlein has something similar to the TARDIS in his Number of the Beast.... so I'll go with seeing Zebediah Carter and Gay Deceiver appearing in my front yard and delivering and invitation to the First Centennial Convention of the Interuniversal Society for Eschatological Pantheistic Multiple Ego Solipsism

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2013, 7:22pm

Post #30 of 47 (371 views)
Shortcut
you are just majestic... majestic geekiness [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So, you want me to choose between Malcolm Reynolds' crew, thirteen dwarves, a hobbit, a wizard and The Doctor!?

<Explodes with grizwald geekiness>
Sorry. Always get so gorram excited 'bout Browncoats.

But Tolkien still wins. I know how to solve this - Get the Tardis into Serenity and fly to Middle-earth...
How about that?

Could cause complications for the future of Middle-earth. I mean, I'm sure Jayne would try to blow Rivendell up. Maybe Wash can use his sarcasm on Smaug until Smaug dies of exasperation.

Think about it...

You must of course use the Doctor with the Bunny Sled. Take your wand. And take your Thor's hammer too, it was forged by Dwarves and will come in handy. And if Smaug asks, you're in Slytherin.

And you must take The Hat: The Doc.. er... Radagast has The Hat... Jayne has The Hat... Bofur has The Hat... Smaug.. er... Sherlock has The Hat...

http://swordwhale.tumblr.com/post/43417887641/remix-of-a-meme-i-found-elsewhere

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2013, 7:25pm

Post #31 of 47 (356 views)
Shortcut
and I just went, oh, look at this link to some fanart... hey... oh... [In reply to] Can't Post

bwa haaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaa

(derp) Thanks for posting the link!

In Reply To
go check out swordwhale's cartoon

Fan Art thread with link

direct link to cartoon post

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2013, 7:50pm

Post #32 of 47 (357 views)
Shortcut
and finally.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I CAN'T ANSWER THIS!!!!!!

I've been a Tolkien geek since 1978. I've been on a lot of adventures and it's all his fault: bashing guys upside the head with broadswords (Society for Creative Anachronisms), training my patient half-Arabian gelding to work without saddle and rein because Legolas made it look so cool (bookverse), paddling the slightly less swift forest river (and going upside down in my kayak a few times), wearing chainmail on a Viking ship (and comtemplating how I was getting out of it if I went overboard), owning several bows and firing arrows randomly into the scenery (Legolas!!!!), commiting art and writhing...writing... wandering about in the woods and edge of the sea with a backpack... actually beating the sewing machine into submission long enough to make horse costumery.... trying to figure out whether Kashi bars or gorp was the real lembas... learning "to the sea, to the sea" in Sindarin (elvish.org, Ryszard Derdzinski) and using it as a rowing/paddling song... and for a few manic minutes, at the wheel of a real 1812 privateer, learning to steer her from a real sailor who had walked the same decks as (darn you Legolas!!!) Orlando Bloom...

Thanks Gandalf, been there, done that. It is all your fault.

As for the pollantir...

Lost on a desert island one late summer (Assateague, a barrier island off the coast of Virginia), my friends and I consumed some beers and watched an entire season of Firefly... oh, wait, there was only one season wasn't there? Then we had to evacuate because of Hurricane Irene. Loved it, Firefly, I mean. I grew up on Star Trek and Firelfy (you know, if you typo, it has elves in it)... and this was a wonderful unique "wagon train to the stars" final frontier sort of series: kind of cowboys and aliens, without the aliens. I've heard it called both Serenity (name of ship) and Firefly (type of ship). In the US it was apparently released as Firefly.

Have had glimpses of Dr. Who and wish I could watch more. I think BoromirofWinterfell had it right... get in the tardis, and sail Serenity into Middle Earth. But don't forget your Thor's hammer.m And your magic wand.

And your earflap hat.

Avengers was the other great goodie of 2012. If your superpower was beding time and space, you could still get to Middle Earth.

Oh, just get Thor to use Bifrost to get you to the Other Middle Earth.

I think Dean O'Gorman and Chris Hemsworth could switch roles and still be Super Majestic. Hemsworth as a Dwarf.... Fili as Thor... :)

And Harry Potter (one of the greatest series of all time) has that time turner thingie... and magic... you might still be able to get to Middle Earth from there...

sigh... it's a tie.... post reply...

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 18 2013, 8:46pm

Post #33 of 47 (364 views)
Shortcut
there's a few of us discussing how to get you a little more publicity :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2013, 3:04am

Post #34 of 47 (343 views)
Shortcut
Firefly/Serenity [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Firefly is the name of the TV series and the class of ship the crew travels on. Serenity is the name of the movie and the name of the ship. So people are talking about the show as Firefly, the movie as Serenity, and also referring to the crew of the Serenity. Clear as mud?

It sounds from your post like perhaps you've watched the series but haven't seen the movie yet? If not, you should immediately do so. We'll wait. Cool

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2013, 3:10am

Post #35 of 47 (344 views)
Shortcut
;) [In reply to] Can't Post

After more contemplation (words, I like words, lots of words)...

I thought about why any of us would go to each of those worlds in the pollantir.

They are clearly all great adventures.

I, personally, have the greatest love for Middle Earth.

I love superheroes, they are our modern faerie tales, our modern myths, using classic archetypes. The issue I have with them is they are quite urban, most of the action happens in urban settings, and I am allergic to concrete and steel.

I think Harry Potter is one of the Great classics at this point, so far ahead of the (sparkly vampire) competition that it can't even be seen in the rearview mirror with the Hubble telescope. It's unique, original, quirky, solidly rooted in archetype...
...but maybe I just like Middle Earth's version of Elves better.

Love what I've seen of Dr. Who, wish I could see more. Where are the elves? Love Firefly, unique "western in outer space" idea, smart, clever... but not overly fond of post-apocalyptic SF as a genre, too depressing, don't want to live there.

The thing that stands out about Middle Earth for me is that everything happens in, and as an integral part of the Natural World. The villains have minds of metal and gears and would corrupt that Natural Order. goddesses (Galadriel) yet reign over Sacred Groves, elves yet dwell in Enchanted Forests, Dwarves yet delve in Mysterious Underground Kingdoms. Riders gallop across green plains, paddlers ply the Swift Forest River, heroes hear the cry of gulls in the dark and yearn for The Sea. Hobbits live, earth sheltered, in bucolic bliss... and your biggest obstacle to all the gold in Erebor is The Last Dragon.

Ultimately, it is Middle Earth that I want to go to... though I will make pit stops along the way, travel with The Doctor, sail to Narnia, stowaway on Serenity (or the Enterprise), hagn at Hogwarts, and go get some schwarma with the Avengers.

We can of course go to Middle Earth, whether we book a flight to New Zealand, or find a green place in our own backyards. That's the beauty of these tales, they take us out of our own forest, so we can look back and see the trees... and understand our own trees better.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2013, 5:48am

Post #36 of 47 (359 views)
Shortcut
oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, now I get it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

just saw the series, or parts of it...

movie...

sigh, yet another I must find....

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 19 2013, 12:41pm

Post #37 of 47 (342 views)
Shortcut
Well thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

But it seems you're even more geeky. Smile

Bringing Thor into this might result in Mjolnir taking The Arkenstone's place.

In Reply To
And you must take The Hat: The Doc.. er... Radagast has The Hat... Jayne has The Hat... Bofur has The Hat... Smaug.. er... Sherlock has The Hat...

Might I add Christopher Lee was Sherlock and Saruman, and Saruman is in the Hobbit with The Doctor. Smile It's a geeky circle.

(This post was edited by BoromirOfWinterfell on Feb 19 2013, 12:44pm)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2013, 4:27pm

Post #38 of 47 (343 views)
Shortcut
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the Jayne quote too....

anagum
The Shire

Feb 20 2013, 1:17am

Post #39 of 47 (312 views)
Shortcut
Hard one! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was between the Harry Potter-verse and Middle Earth. Harry Potter gives me comfort because it's in a world that's not so different from mine, and I could have everything I was used to relatively close, but Middle Earth is well...Middle Earth. I would die to eat with a Hobbit, sing with the Elves, admire pretty things with the Dwarves, or even practice swordsmanship with the Rohirrim.

And it's a very natural setting!

alienorchid
Lorien

Feb 20 2013, 12:39pm

Post #40 of 47 (316 views)
Shortcut
I voted for the Harry Potter-verse! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's set in the modern world, and if you studied hard, you could live a very comfortable and enjoyable life - full of the wonders of magic!

The others are just too dangerous, and being realistic, I would probably die quite quickly in most of those worlds! I almost picked Middle Earth, but again, realistically as a woman, I don't think I'd have the kind of freedom to do what I want and be who I want in Middle Earth as I do in contemporary Western society.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 20 2013, 6:58pm

Post #41 of 47 (305 views)
Shortcut
"No, I'm from Iowa. I work in outer space." [In reply to] Can't Post

Avengers and Firefly, just not my cup of tea.

Now, a Star Trek-Middle Earth-Harry Potter-Doctor Who mashup, that would be epic! Throw in Sherlock and poor Benedict Cumberbatch would go completely 'round the bend.

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2013, 3:40pm

Post #42 of 47 (281 views)
Shortcut
Definitely the Tardis... [In reply to] Can't Post

... if you screw up, you can always go back in Time to fix it... no matter what that pesky Doctor says... Tongue

Besides, would really want to travel with a bunch of smelly dwarves who keep stealing your food and make you braid their hair... all over their bodies?!!!

*shudder*

CuriousG
Valinor

Feb 28 2013, 5:44pm

Post #43 of 47 (299 views)
Shortcut
Farscape [In reply to] Can't Post

I should have thought of this earlier. The thing I'd like to hear most is, "Pilot, prepare Moya for immediate starburst." That series was the best sci-fi for me, and I watch it repeatedly since there are always little details I didn't see the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd time. Put me on Moya with their colorful crew, and I'd blast around the galaxy to heart's content. Every episode was unqiue, vs. some programs where you've seen it all before.

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 2 2013, 3:40pm

Post #44 of 47 (271 views)
Shortcut
Eccleston & Tennant regenerations [In reply to] Can't Post

Rose absorbed the energy of the TARDIS, allowing her to bring back Captain Jack (which is why he's immortal) and make the Daleks go away - again - but being human, it would kill her. So Eccleston said "you need a Doctor" and kissed her, absorbing the energy into himself. Which forced him to regenerate as Tennant.

There was a long lead-in to Tennant's "demise" with the Oud appearing in random episodes and warning him that his "song was ending." He sacrifices himself in much the same way as before, going into a radiation chamber so that Donna's grandfather can leave it before being blasted with radiation - which forces the Doctor to regenerate again.

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 2 2013, 3:43pm

Post #45 of 47 (267 views)
Shortcut
me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Love Farscape. Own the entire series & have watched it through several times.

Ben Browder showed up on "Doctor Who" last season, and more recently on "Arrow." Claudia Black pops up all over.

Which reminds me, I also wouldn't mind hearing "we have a Stargate . . . "

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2013, 10:32pm

Post #46 of 47 (292 views)
Shortcut
Gotta go with the Doctor, [In reply to] Can't Post

Though i would love to wander Middle-earth, and Serenity is a great ship. And it'd be great to visit Hogwarts.

Dang, that was a tough one! I could NOT pass up a ride on the Tardis, though.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 24 2013, 6:03am

Post #47 of 47 (181 views)
Shortcut
Ohhhh Gandalf telling Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure." *slaver slurp* ABSOLUTELY!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.