Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why so many times?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 5:03am

Post #26 of 70 (347 views)
Shortcut
Hehe hi gramma :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, 30 viewing Shocked I'm just in awe, and to think that that is so many less than the LOTR average. It's too bad it's so far away from you now. I totally understand not being able to dedicate 5 hours to it. It gets to be too much.

Wow, look at all those ticket stubs! That's so crazy! Laugh

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Feb 16 2013, 5:19am

Post #27 of 70 (290 views)
Shortcut
I made it to my [In reply to] Can't Post

13th viewing yesterday in IMAX 3D HFR...It was awesome as always.....

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 10:05am

Post #28 of 70 (258 views)
Shortcut
How many times have you watched it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 10:10am

Post #29 of 70 (276 views)
Shortcut
Rewatch value. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's interesting. The first time I saw TH:AUJ, the reactions for me was a mixed bag with both good and bad, but I liked it still. I was not ready for the amount of changes, mainly with Azog, but I got over that the next viewing. The film has it's minor flaws, but I have come to love it now, still, despite all that. I think this is how most of us feel. There are some nitpicks, but it doesn't ruin the movie, far from it. It works.

For me it has higher re-watch value than TTT or ROTK. It's a thrill ride all the way, I am never bored watching AUJ. Whereas TTT or ROTK I very rarely rewatch. FOTR I have seen on DVD probably about 100-150 times, lost count years ago.

I have only watched it three times, but there's no rush - I know it will play here a lot longer than in USA, and in 3D HFR too (which I have come to love).

imin
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 12:53pm

Post #30 of 70 (249 views)
Shortcut
Do you think it's replay value for you [In reply to] Can't Post

comes down to it being a better film than TTT and ROTK in your mind or that you just much prefer The Hobbit book over LOTR book and so any film about it would be more interesting?

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 1:02pm

Post #31 of 70 (260 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

I think while all the LOTRs may be "better" than AUJ are, I'd rather watch AUJ any time of the day and those two (TTT and ROTK). They're so dark and bleak so they don't exactly encourage several sittings over and over again. Once or twice a year perhaps but thats about it as far as I'm concerned.

FOTR and AUJ are more alike, I find them both to be pretty rewarding when re-watching them.

imin
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 1:11pm

Post #32 of 70 (242 views)
Shortcut
Oh ok [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking it might have just been you simply prefer the story of the hobbit and so the movie which its about would be your preference.

I too think FOTR has the most reply value and is my favourite out of them all, then ROTK, then TTT then AUJ. Like you i think, if any of the LOTR films are like AUJ it would be FOTR.

I have watched AUJ 2 times at the cinema and 2 times 'at home' i now get to the point where i just skip ahead once they meet Elrond to Riddles in the Dark, then once Bilbo escapes i skip to the eagles rescuing them and then i just turn it off so as to avoid the dreaded hug! lol. For me it has some replay value for the parts i like - bag end stuff but other than that i am already a bit bored of it. Still i will almost certainly buy the EE in hope i will like it more.

Personally i don't find TTT or ROTK bleak either in how it looks visually or tone/mood wise but if you do then i can see that being quite emotionally tiring as to not want to watch it all the time.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 1:16pm

Post #33 of 70 (245 views)
Shortcut
That's interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

The part from Riddles in the dark - the end is one of my favourite parts of the movie. And I love the embrace at the end! Yelling at Bilbo like that sounded like something book-Thorin would have done and I thought it was a nice forshadowing to what happens at the gate of the Lonely Mountain.

imin
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 1:23pm

Post #34 of 70 (238 views)
Shortcut
Mileage varies i guess [:P] [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not going to go into the hug as there have been about 343456543 threads on it, lol.

It's cool you like it, especially with it being one of your favourite books, i can remember coming out of the cinema after FOTR had just finished and i was in a daze and couldn't wait to get it on VHS/DVD.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 1:29pm

Post #35 of 70 (231 views)
Shortcut
I've only seen it once. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't like it unfortunately, so I never went back. I plan to buy the extended edition whenever it comes out, though. Hopefully I'll enjoy it more.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 16 2013, 2:37pm

Post #36 of 70 (231 views)
Shortcut
Only 2 times [In reply to] Can't Post

Since it's just not that good compared to LOTR. Watched FOTR & TTT 5 times in theater and ROTK 3 times.

I'm waiting for the extended edition to see what PJ has done with the movie.

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 3:07pm

Post #37 of 70 (222 views)
Shortcut
How I watch them [In reply to] Can't Post

I think all four films have high replay value. When the movies started coming out on DVD I watched them a ton. It probably wasn't but it sure seems like it was every weekend. lol I finally had to stop that because I would have burned myself out to be honest. So I made a rule to watch them 1-2 times a year in a trilogy setting. It makes the anticipation build for the next viewing. So for me the three The Lord of the Rings films all have a high rewatch rate. I have a an order id rate them but watching any of them anytime is no big deal. i very much see The Hobbit films being the same way. I loved the first film a lot and for me it was as good at being The Hobbit as The Lord of the Rings was at being The Lord of the Rings. In the end I'll set the same rule for The Hobbit as i have done with The Lord of the Rings just to keep things fresh. Of course I will have six movies over a few days to get through.

This is of course on top of listening to the OST EE, reading the books every year, doing stuff for TORn, collecting Middle-earth items. So I'm in a constant Middle-earth flow. So for me Middle-earth never ends and the films replay value is mega high.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 16 2013, 4:26pm

Post #38 of 70 (220 views)
Shortcut
***bows low**** [In reply to] Can't Post

I hail your dedication Gramma!!!!Heart

I might have gone to see all of the LOTR films more except that my son was very young then, so it was harder to get out. But this one is so much fun.

Next view in three and a half hoursSmile

Thirty days til (US) video and counting! Its on the calendar in little red numbers.

Just thinking about our wanton love of repeat views - Is there perhaps some level of (paraphrase Boromir) "Today life is good"? Because I'm starting to feel that only two of the three films will be a jolly fun repeat ride in public. For many of us thinking TABA might be a repeat at home where we can cry as loud as want. We all knew about the end of ROTK (still, tissues please) but it has that undyling redemptive joy. Even so I can only watch it to the end once a year.
TABA ending? Hmm. Going to hurt. What do you think?

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 16 2013, 4:46pm

Post #39 of 70 (205 views)
Shortcut
You are reading my mind, [In reply to] Can't Post

That's exactly how I feel. As I said on my previous post, AUJ is my happy place, life is good and it all ends well. DOS should still be fine; I'm certainly looking forward to seeing Mirkwood and Thranduil's Hall. However, TABA, I don't think there will be repeat viewing at the big screen. At that point, the fast forward button at home, along with tissues will be my best friends. I already feel so attached to the characters; more than I ever did in the book. I may have to go again for my 10th viewing, since it still playing in HFR 3D near my house.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 16 2013, 4:53pm

Post #40 of 70 (205 views)
Shortcut
Mine too! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's exactly how I feel. As I said on my previous post, AUJ is my happy place, life is good and it all ends well. DOS should still be fine; I'm certainly looking forward to seeing Mirkwood and Thranduil's Hall. However, TABA, I don't think there will be repeat viewing at the big screen. At that point, the fast forward button at home, along with tissues will be my best friends. I already feel so attached to the characters; more than I ever did in the book. I may have to go again for my 10th viewing, since it still playing in HFR 3D near my house.

This is my feeling as well on AUJ. It's my happy place. I have a stressful RL job and if I can go and sit in the cinema for 3 hours and just chill and smile and enjoy it that's my gig. I love to just get away. I will be sad when it leaves quite honestly. The casting was just done so well, from all of the dwarves, including RA, to Freeman and Bilbo and of course McKellan as Gandalf. I just lose myself in it and forget my problems. It's a breath of fresh air for me.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 16 2013, 5:52pm

Post #41 of 70 (182 views)
Shortcut
Four [In reply to] Can't Post

And I wished it could be double that. Ran into sickness and a big Christmas. And I can't watch 3-D -- it gives me headaches -- so I had a very limited number of times available for viewing. The 2-D times in my area were very inconvenient. But I am looking forward to getting the DVD and watching it a lot.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 16 2013, 5:55pm

Post #42 of 70 (190 views)
Shortcut
You and I share a common sentiment here, I think. Though there are scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

from both TTT and Return of The King that I could watch ad infinitum, i.e. The Battle of Gandalf and The Balrog, his return, Arwen and Elrond discussing Aragorn, The Story as foreseen from Rivendell and Lorien, Pippin and The Palantir in Rohan, Frodo on the side of Orodruin, The Eagles, The Crowning and The Havens, to sit and watch those movies entire repeatedly, aside from those above mentioned scenes, is not entirely appealing to me (save sometimes for the sake of full experience after watching Extended Fellowship) even in their theatrical versions, for amidst the wonder and the melancholy enchantings, there are huge plains of bleak viewing. Literally and figuratively bleak, but lacking the piercing, charmed melanholy that makes a scene like Arwen's and Elrond's beautiful despite (and in part because of) the sorrow it encompases.

An Unexpected Journey brims with vibrant, jubuilant wonder that I will doubtless watch again and again, like a bedtime story on screen. I can skip Azog and the running of the hares easily enough. lol

In Reply To
I think while all the LOTRs may be "better" than AUJ are, I'd rather watch AUJ any time of the day and those two (TTT and ROTK). They're so dark and bleak so they don't exactly encourage several sittings over and over again. Once or twice a year perhaps but thats about it as far as I'm concerned.

FOTR and AUJ are more alike, I find them both to be pretty rewarding when re-watching them.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 16 2013, 6:08pm

Post #43 of 70 (187 views)
Shortcut
I've seen AUJ 7 times [In reply to] Can't Post

Simply because I love it. In fact, I like AUJ more than any of the LOTR movies. Strangely enough that is reversed with the books.

And I didn't make this much effort with the LOTR films while they were in the theatres although I long ago lost count of the number of times I've watched at home.

Curious, someone said the watched AUJ "at home". How exactly?

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

imin
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 6:16pm

Post #44 of 70 (188 views)
Shortcut
That was me who said 'at home' [In reply to] Can't Post

My friend downloaded it and so we watched it over at his house. He actually likes it more than i do so will be buying the SE and EE!

I then streamed it from online as i wanted to see if my feelings about the boring parts had changed - it hasn't. I find it really lacks replay value and i think i will need a long break from it until the EE comes out - something i am excited to get and see if they make some changes that i will like as its been really disappointing having all the build up etc and then feeling like it didn't live up to what i hoped for.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 6:34pm

Post #45 of 70 (190 views)
Shortcut
"Boring parts" [In reply to] Can't Post

These parts you describe as "boring" - what did you think about these passages in the book?

imin
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 6:40pm

Post #46 of 70 (188 views)
Shortcut
I like them in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

But then they are different in the book.

The Prancing Pony
Rivendell

Feb 16 2013, 7:39pm

Post #47 of 70 (196 views)
Shortcut
Why so many times? [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I have seen AUJ six times now and though I really liked it the first time, every additional viewing made me love it even more. I don't normally watch one film several times in the cinema, but with AUJ I wanted to make up for not seeing LOTR back then. Every time the end credits started rolling, I wished to watch it again right away. I think AUJ is just the kind of movie you have to watch on the big screen as often as you can.
I had to plan quite a bit to squeeze it into my timetable. I actually saw it many a time when I should have been studying for my exams instead. Once, when I wasn't able to sleep at night, and therefore felt very dizzy the next day, I decided I wasn't fit enough to attend university . . . I went to the cinema instead. Blush
And now I can't wait to buy the DVD and watch it as many times in a row as I like.

2. Regrettably not. I didn't see any LOTR on the big screen. I was young then and my first remembrance of anything Tolkien was when my brother bought FOTR. I was so scared by Bree, the Eye, Sauron's voice, Gollum and Galadriel that I decided to hate LOTR. I had changed my views by the time ROTK was out on DVD, but that's why I missed out on so much. My only hope then was "Wait! Isn't there a book called 'The Hobbit'?".

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 17 2013, 1:39am

Post #48 of 70 (140 views)
Shortcut
*twitch* 30 days! [In reply to] Can't Post

My little heart actually did a little FLIP! I'm with you about TABA. Actually, I'm really scared of it. I know Peter, Philippa and Fran are going to devastate my heart again! I still can't watch RotK without losing it. Even the credits make the tears fall.

FotR is my favourite of the LotR films because the Fellowship is together and there's so much time in the Shire. RotK is the most emotional, but FotR is my friend. Now AUJ is right up there with it :)

You're right. Today... life is good :)

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 17 2013, 1:45am

Post #49 of 70 (132 views)
Shortcut
Some missing TORnsibs and I [In reply to] Can't Post

had a few years after RotK was done where we met up and had a home-viewing together. Comfort food, fresh batteries in the remote, and boxes of tissues everywhere. Each year when we got towards the end of RotK, we had tossed our spent tissues into a pile in the middle of the floor and dubbed them Mt. Gloom... or Mt. Tissue...

I was a mess the first time I saw RotK. A pathethic mess. Even now, I have to take the day off to recover from that numb, sad, surreal place. I have a BIG feeling TABA is going to be the same way. *sigh*

I'm taking the day off when AUJ comes out just so I can sit home and watch it... starting shortly after midnight when I've finally got it in my hot little hands!

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 17 2013, 1:45am

Post #50 of 70 (132 views)
Shortcut
Can't wait [In reply to] Can't Post

I am going to have to download the digital copy for my iTunes collection so less than 30 days. Then of course ill see it again once the BR comes I

Like you I expect the TABA to be quite emotional. Just going off of ROTK that's my expectations. Many moments in The Lord of the Rings tear me up some more than most. The end of ROTK really gets me though and I'm watery eye at best. The end credits with into the West make me cry every time but part of that is I think due to a grandmother I lost 13 years ago this year.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.