Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What would you rather hear?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What would you rather hear?
"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure."
"It's called a Tardis. Want to fly through time and space?"
"This here's Serenity, and there's a space on my gorram crew."
"Your skills would fit nicely in our Avengers initiative."
"You're a wizard - and a thumpin' good one I'd wager."
View Results (123 votes)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 15 2013, 2:05am

Post #1 of 47 (1246 views)
Shortcut
What would you rather hear? Can't Post

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Feb 15 2013, 2:36am)

ryouko
Lorien

Feb 15 2013, 2:11am

Post #2 of 47 (572 views)
Shortcut
AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

*implodes*

too.....many......choices......

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 15 2013, 2:32am

Post #3 of 47 (544 views)
Shortcut
*mwahahahahaa* / [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 15 2013, 3:10am

Post #4 of 47 (541 views)
Shortcut
That was a really hard choice. [In reply to] Can't Post

Really enjoyed Avengers. Love Firefly and Harry Potter. Tolkien will always win for me though!

Heatherleawv
Bree

Feb 15 2013, 3:32am

Post #5 of 47 (522 views)
Shortcut
It's [In reply to] Can't Post

a toss up between the the Hobbit and the Avengers. Both are very fun and kinda cute! Smile

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 15 2013, 3:36am

Post #6 of 47 (529 views)
Shortcut
I always knew you were evil [In reply to] Can't Post

*stamps paws* I won't choose, you can't make me! Tongue

LaughEvilAngelic

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 15 2013, 4:18am

Post #7 of 47 (512 views)
Shortcut
You didn't allow multiple answers! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a hard fight between the Tardis and Serenity. In the end, I went with the Tardis. There are so, so many possibilities for adventures on the Tardis... including dropping in on Serenity. :-)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 15 2013, 4:27am

Post #8 of 47 (541 views)
Shortcut
Evil Poll... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was hard to choose! I voted for "Yer a wizard" (though, it would be "witch" in my case).

Not because I prefer the HP series over Tolkien (I don't, LotR remains my favorite book!) But because Rowling's world has the advantage of being our contemporary world, I'd not have to leave home, friends, and family behind to visit it.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2013, 6:47am

Post #9 of 47 (525 views)
Shortcut
Great poll! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a close tie between "It's called a Tardis" and "You're a wizard (witch)". Love, love, love LOTR, but I've never been that into TH. I've never seen The Avengers and Serenity ( Have I lost all geek cred?Blush) I went with Dr. Who because I've been into it longer than HP. Plus, I could hope that I'd be involved in a Time Lord "meta-crisis" like Donna and be turned into a human/Time Lord hybrid. But hopefully it wouldn't go wrong with me. Cool It would be great to be a witch, but hanging out with the Dr. would just be too hard to pass up. Smile

Again, great question!

(This post was edited by zarabia on Feb 15 2013, 6:48am)

imin
Valinor

Feb 15 2013, 12:49pm

Post #10 of 47 (502 views)
Shortcut
Not too hard a choice for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never seen Firefly - i had to look up the quote (one for Netflix to help me out on). I am not a fan of Dr Who or The Avengers. I like Harry Potter but for me none of them come close to Tolkien's work.

I would travel to Middle-earth and with the knowledge we have from today i would be a wise man, rich and proud, eventually falling to doom from that pride, but meh was fun while it lasted! Tongue

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 15 2013, 4:23pm

Post #11 of 47 (514 views)
Shortcut
What is a Tardis? [In reply to] Can't Post

No idea. I would pick "wizard" or "adventure" myself!

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 15 2013, 5:32pm

Post #12 of 47 (480 views)
Shortcut
"Time and Relative Dimension in Space" [In reply to] Can't Post

Any Time Lord can have a TARDIS which can go anywhere in time and space but the one we all want to travel in belongs to The Doctor and it's a blue, UK police box that is bigger on the inside than on the outside.

oh, and The Doctor can regenerate when he 'dies' so we have lots of Doctors from which we can choose to travel with.

I could go for Baker, Eccleston, or Smith. :-)

Kassandros
Rohan

Feb 15 2013, 6:27pm

Post #13 of 47 (465 views)
Shortcut
You are evil! [In reply to] Can't Post

Really hard!

5. Serenity. Never watched this show, actually, so I can't really judge. I've heard good things, though.

4. Avengers. On the positive side, this would probaby mean I have superheroes. On the negative, I'd just be living in my same boring world and I don't much care for supers. On the other hand, they tend to die less frequently than the other options.

3. Wizard. Very tempting, as it'd mean I'd get all sorts of powers, at least if I studied hard enough. But no chance to travel to other worlds. Chance of death would seem a tad bit better than the other two options, but still pretty high.

2. Adventure. This was hard. I'd love to live in Middle Earth and the place could use a non-evil dragon. Gandalf generally keeps you safe, at least if you aren't a Dwarf. But it'd still be pretty dangerous. I'd love to meet the elves. And Smaug. Very difficult choice.

1. Tardis. This is my choice. Still quite dangerous to be a companion, but you get to visit so many worlds! I could basically travel around and have my pick of where to hop off. So this diveristy of choice gives it the edge over Middle Earth. I mostly just know the original series, So I'd go with Tom Baker or Sylvester McCoy. Of course, I've heard that there aren't any male companions on the new show and that they've turned it into a romantic thing (ugh), so maybe the new Doctors could use some variety.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 15 2013, 8:01pm

Post #14 of 47 (475 views)
Shortcut
FIREFLY REFERENCE! [In reply to] Can't Post

So, you want me to choose between Malcolm Reynolds' crew, thirteen dwarves, a hobbit, a wizard and The Doctor!?

<Explodes with grizwald geekiness>
Sorry. Always get so gorram excited 'bout Browncoats.

But Tolkien still wins. I know how to solve this - Get the Tardis into Serenity and fly to Middle-earth...
How about that?

Could cause complications for the future of Middle-earth. I mean, I'm sure Jayne would try to blow Rivendell up. Maybe Wash can use his sarcasm on Smaug until Smaug dies of exasperation.

Think about it...

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 15 2013, 10:42pm

Post #15 of 47 (452 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, we get to choose which Doctor? [In reply to] Can't Post

Even better. Cool I chose the TARDIS because.....well, the TARDIS is awesome, and a lot of the other options include an awful lot of struggle and fighting. TARDIS travel has its perils too, but you've got the Doctor to come to the rescue. I'd choose Pertwee, Eccleston or Tennant, myself.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 15 2013, 10:56pm

Post #16 of 47 (456 views)
Shortcut
of course we get to choose the Doctor... [In reply to] Can't Post

...they all exist in time and space, right?

:-)

It's funny, I would like the crew of Serenity but my first reaction was... life is so dangerous for them. Then I thought... Daleks and Cybermen and Weeping Angels and the seemingly perpetual 'end of the earth' sorts of scenarios are safer?

lol... but, the Doctor always saves things and again, there is so much potential there.

I mean, in my mind... the Doctor has landed, at least once, on the bridge of the Enterprise. The Doctor could visit all those other 'verses.

Kassandros
Rohan

Feb 15 2013, 11:48pm

Post #17 of 47 (470 views)
Shortcut
Have none of the new companions died? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not always safe to be the Doctor's companion. At least not on the old show...

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 16 2013, 12:56am

Post #18 of 47 (444 views)
Shortcut
to be honest... [In reply to] Can't Post

the story lines get kind of complicated for me in the new versions. Am I just too old now or are the plots just overly grand?

Did Eccleston's Doctor die? I'm not sure. And I can't remember what happened to Tennant's Doctor.

I like the production values of the newer series but the simpler story lines of the older series. I used to wish the Doctor would just kiss one of his female companions. Now I wish I'd never wished for that. I'm not sure he's kissed one but it's the overly emotional involvement in them that just gets a bit tiring.

But angst is in these days.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 16 2013, 1:02am

Post #19 of 47 (449 views)
Shortcut
hey y'all.. [In reply to] Can't Post

go check out swordwhale's cartoon

Fan Art thread with link

direct link to cartoon post

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 16 2013, 1:34am

Post #20 of 47 (440 views)
Shortcut
Cruel it is... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I would choose an adventure. With flying in the Tardis a close second. Cool

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 16 2013, 4:05am

Post #21 of 47 (464 views)
Shortcut
I researched the unknowns a little to me but [In reply to] Can't Post

i just decided to play it safe and go with good 'ol reliable #1.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 16 2013, 4:31am

Post #22 of 47 (529 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

There are quite a few of us Browncoats around here. However, much as I love the crew of the Serenity, it's pretty rough living in that 'verse.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 16 2013, 5:33am

Post #23 of 47 (444 views)
Shortcut
Reevers, the Alliance and double-crossing low-lifes [In reply to] Can't Post

vs Captain Tightpants and ever-shiny Kaylee.

I've got to admit, I'm tempted!

CuriousG
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 6:35am

Post #24 of 47 (428 views)
Shortcut
Sorta died [In reply to] Can't Post

*spoilers*
  1. Rose gets stuck in a parallel universe and her voiceover says she "dies." But she keeps living there, just sadly without the Doctor.
  2. Martha was fine after she left and got a new man.
  3. Donna Noble "dies" because she loses all of her memories of being with the Doctor, and also loses out on spending the rest of her life traveling with him as she'd wished. But she still lives in Chiswick.
  4. Amy and Rory get touched by Weeping Angels, who don't kill you outright, just throw you back in time as they steal your life, and you still get a normal lifespan. But the Doctor parts with them seeing their graves.
But none of them go "boom" in a ship like Adric did in the old series.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 16 2013, 7:42am

Post #25 of 47 (414 views)
Shortcut
Okay, be concise; see if I care :P [In reply to] Can't Post

I just tried to submit an answer to this, but I got carried away and it became a novella. Tongue I took so long that I timed out and wasn't allowed to post it. ARGGG!

I'll just add that, yes, there are male companions: Micki (sort of), Captain Jack (sort of), Wilf (sort of), and Rory, a full fledged companion.

Yes, there is some romance, but it's not sappy, IMO.

As much as I loved the old series - it will always have a special place in my heart - I prefer the new series.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.