Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Richard Armitage Interview: Dwarves, Thorin Etc.

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 15 2013, 5:38pm

Post #1 of 21 (1717 views)
Shortcut
Richard Armitage Interview: Dwarves, Thorin Etc. Can't Post

I posted this elsewhere, but I thought I'd just put it here on its own since some here perhaps will not have read it before. It's an old interview (October 2012) that Collider did with RA right after the trailer came out and obviously before either of them had seen the finished film. It's a wondeful interview, and gives us a better look at RA's Thorin. The question and answer regarding Thorin's darker side is particularly interesting to me, especially when he talks about the effect the dragon sickness will have on Thorin.

Probably most of you have already read this, but I'm so far behind the times, I'm just catching up! So here it is. Enjoy!

http://collider.com/...he-hobbit-interview/

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Feb 15 2013, 5:44pm)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2013, 7:43pm

Post #2 of 21 (742 views)
Shortcut
Yeah that was a great article... [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember reading that one back in October.

Thanks for re-posting! Smile

I think the next two movies are going to move in a dramatically different way than the first.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 15 2013, 7:47pm

Post #3 of 21 (725 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone sent me the link but I never had a chance to read it.

Interesting stuff. I'm about Thorin's height. You can see
from this article that Richard Armitage really put a lot of thought into playing Thorin.

Žęs ofereode, žisses swa męg - that has passed, so may this.

Silmaril
Lorien

Feb 15 2013, 7:50pm

Post #4 of 21 (723 views)
Shortcut
thanks. great long interview! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin is perfect.

GloryBox
Bree

Feb 15 2013, 8:06pm

Post #5 of 21 (814 views)
Shortcut
RA on dwarves: "a secret forbidden race that was nearly destroyed" [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like Armitage has done some very thorough personal research. Even though the films can't reference The Silmarillion, his comment seems drawn straight from Chapter 2 (Of Aule and Yavanna) on the dwarves' origin. Love how much RA respects the source material and his character.

Thanks for posting this link!

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2013, 8:11pm

Post #6 of 21 (754 views)
Shortcut
Yeah he's a fan... [In reply to] Can't Post

And a very eloquent, seemingly intelligent guy to boot.

Good stuff.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 15 2013, 8:31pm

Post #7 of 21 (725 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the reference to source material. Interesting parallel to how Viggo got into Aragorn's skin through combat as well.
I think PJ casts for brains and temperament as well as screen appeal.

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

Marionette
Rohan

Feb 15 2013, 8:44pm

Post #8 of 21 (735 views)
Shortcut
Very caring and proffessional [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess that“s why his Thorin is so great.

I always loved the dwarves, maybe becoz is the most unlucky race on Middle Earth, they were ugly, imperfect and very close to be destroyed just because of that.
Of all the races, the dwarves had less attention in Tolkien writtings

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

TwirlingThorin
Bree

Feb 15 2013, 10:15pm

Post #9 of 21 (746 views)
Shortcut
RA is a well read fanboy [In reply to] Can't Post

Empire Magazine - How Well Do The Hobbit Cast Know Their Tolkien Trivia? http://www.youtube.com/...youtube_gdata_player

adoRAble
Smile

(This post was edited by TwirlingThorin on Feb 15 2013, 10:20pm)

imin
Valinor

Feb 15 2013, 10:37pm

Post #10 of 21 (703 views)
Shortcut
His answer is impressive [In reply to] Can't Post

At first i thought he had basically read the Tolkien Gateway article on Dwarves but to know that the Nauglamir was once called the Nauglafring and actually remember that is impressive - seeing as it comes from The Book of Lost Tales part two!

I dare say he knows more than many here!

GloryBox
Bree

Feb 16 2013, 12:08am

Post #11 of 21 (660 views)
Shortcut
Amazingly well-read! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for that link. And he even names the necklace correctly from The Book of Lost Tales. He has certainly gone deep into the weeds in researching the tangled history of elves, dwarves, and the long unwinding of the curse of Mim. I didn't think I could be even more impressed with RA as a devoted Tolkien fan, but now I am! You are right -- adoRAble, indeed!

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 16 2013, 1:01am

Post #12 of 21 (616 views)
Shortcut
Great interview [In reply to] Can't Post

I did not keep up with much during the filming, so to me it was new; I really enjoyed it!
Love RA. Thorin is awesome!

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 5:33pm

Post #13 of 21 (503 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a great interview. Like Eowyn I wasn't paying any attention to any interviews (or for that matter reviews) before I saw the film, so it is terrific to see this. Smile

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 16 2013, 5:55pm

Post #14 of 21 (512 views)
Shortcut
At your service! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks everyone, for your thanks! I think it's great to read this stuff AFTER we've seen the film as well, because we have now a sense of the character, how they are portrayed, etc. and it's so interesting to read the actor's reasonings and interpretations and the process by which he brings the character to life.

And yeah, RA is as amazing as the character he plays. (Well, except for the hair. Nothing equals Thorin's hair! Tongue)

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 16 2013, 8:00pm

Post #15 of 21 (488 views)
Shortcut
thanks for that Old Toby! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed it when you posted it in the other thread. I had not read it and I really enjoyed seeing RA's interepretation and understanding of the characters and Thorin in particular. The interview was fairly extensive too. A very in depth.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 17 2013, 8:45pm

Post #16 of 21 (434 views)
Shortcut
Armitage is so impressive... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a great interview. The more I read about him, the more he impresses me as someone who really gets Tolkien and his own role. He reminds me a bit of Viggo in his passion for and dedication to his character. I just love how well-read he is in Tolkien's works; the short video where some of the cast (and PJ) are asked about Tolkien trivia is hilarious -- only RA comes up with anything, and without blinking he goes into a lengthy discussion of the Nauglafring. Thorin is in really, really good hands. Heart

TwirlingThorin
Bree

Feb 17 2013, 9:48pm

Post #17 of 21 (394 views)
Shortcut
Off topic - hair evolution [In reply to] Can't Post

Great tumblr post on RA's hair evolution:
http://aplaceofbeauty.tumblr.com/...ipshipforall-richard

In Reply To
And yeah, RA is as amazing as the character he plays. (Well, except for the hair. Nothing equals Thorin's hair! Tongue)

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 17 2013, 11:42pm

Post #18 of 21 (378 views)
Shortcut
ROTFL!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, you have officially made my day!!!!

GloryBox
Bree

Feb 18 2013, 12:27am

Post #19 of 21 (376 views)
Shortcut
And still handsome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great link!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2013, 1:01am

Post #20 of 21 (282 views)
Shortcut
A HAHAHAHAHAH! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good one. God I love Tumblr.

Galentaliel

Feb 22 2013, 7:37am

Post #21 of 21 (398 views)
Shortcut
Yesss!!... [In reply to] Can't Post

can't agree with you more... the perfect Thorin Heart and yes it's like he learned from Viggo too, to know your Tolkien for these interviews :)
siiighh... can't wait to see extras on the EE disks, full of RA interviews........ [thud]

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.