Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome, everyone, to Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 15 2013, 5:07pm

Post #1 of 44 (232 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, everyone, to Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Since many of the regular threads this week have had a Valentine's Day theme, might as well keep the trend going! HeartHeartHeart

What did you all do for Valentine's Day? Sadly, I spent what should have been dinner-time in a ,meeting that ran late, so we've re-scheduled our nice dinner for this weekend. I did, however, come home to find this on the bed (which is actually cuter and softer than it looks, if that's possible):

So, that really brightened my long day. Smile

Other than V-Day, any plans for the weekend? Grab a virtual drink and nibble and let us know!

*kicks juke box* "That's Amore" by Dean Martin starts to play

Happy weekend, everyone!! HeartSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 15 2013, 5:21pm

Post #2 of 44 (117 views)
Shortcut
Aww, how cute! [In reply to] Can't Post

Will you let him have a spot on the couch? (I've got a group of stuffed animals which lay across the top of mine - sometimes the cat snuggles amongst them! Laugh)

Nasssty work, keeps us from relaxing dinners! Did you make reservations? I was at my other job late, but hubby dropped by at one point with a card. No chocolates, we're doing our best to cut back on the sweets! But that didn't prevent us from "sampling" the dark chocolate brownies which one of the gals there left out for everyone. Smile

We may try to tackle the unshovelled part of our driveway this weekend; it's a foot thick and very dense, but would make it a lot easier if we could turn around and head down the driveway forwards, rather than have to back out.

How much snow do you have out there?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2013, 5:22pm

Post #3 of 44 (120 views)
Shortcut
That is absolutely adorable!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great gift!!

I'll have a Winter Usual, please, Altaira; thanks, and I hope you have a great weekend! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 15 2013, 5:26pm

Post #4 of 44 (114 views)
Shortcut
Just the lightest of dustings here [In reply to] Can't Post

However, it's been dumping on the mountains and ski areas this past week which will provide some desperately needed snow-melt to fill our reservoirs for the summer (many of which are near all-time lows).

We're going to do a fancy dinner right here at home, even breaking out the fine china, champagne and candles. We're also watching our weight in anticipation of the TORn Oscar Party next weekend. Laugh

Have a great weekend, and I hope you get the rest of the drive free of snow!

*hugs* Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 15 2013, 5:28pm

Post #5 of 44 (114 views)
Shortcut
He's amazing at picking gifts [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very lucky in that regard. HeartSmile

I hope you have a great weekend, whatever your plans, Evey!

*slides miruvor and hot chocolate carefully down the bar*

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 15 2013, 5:44pm

Post #6 of 44 (134 views)
Shortcut
Happy Post-Valentines Day, Everyone!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry you missed your romantic dinner, Altaira... but make-up rendezous can be very tasty :D And I'll just grab this little cafe vienna in my heart-felt cup.

I had a very quite one, but that was WAY okay! I'm going to make up for it at TORn's Oscar Party Weekend next Friday-Monday! I'm freaking out and in full panic mode, but SO looking forward to seeing everyone again :) This will be my last travel-trip, though. RL has moved in on me BIG TIME so all my $ go to doing grown-up stuff :(

This Party is going to be THE BEST!

HUGS to one and all! Have a GREAT weekend!

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 15 2013, 5:46pm

Post #7 of 44 (114 views)
Shortcut
I was wondering [In reply to] Can't Post

if you're still digging out :( BE CAREFUL! That exercise will more than make up for the brownie!

Have a wonderful weekend, m'dear... and KUDOs to your Man for bringing you a card. That's so sweet... and you so deserve it!

:)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 15 2013, 5:46pm

Post #8 of 44 (106 views)
Shortcut
Have a great weekend, Evey!!!! *waves fondly* // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 15 2013, 5:52pm

Post #9 of 44 (109 views)
Shortcut
Hugs to you too, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait to see you and everyone else at the party too! It promises to be an amazing time (of course, that would be true even if there were no party at all with TORnsibs there - we'd create our own, lol).

Happy weekend! Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 15 2013, 6:04pm

Post #10 of 44 (110 views)
Shortcut
** Puts out 'self-serve' sign,. The bar is still open - help yourselves and have a great weekend!! [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileCool

(This post was edited by Altaira on Feb 15 2013, 6:05pm)

kiwifan
Rohan

Feb 15 2013, 6:05pm

Post #11 of 44 (129 views)
Shortcut
Valentine's Day? Oh, that was yesterday, right... [In reply to] Can't Post

already forgotten --- virus must have affected my brain as well as my lungs and sinuses (fourth week now). I, being single, didn't do anything much except phone an American friend of mine in Virginia because I felt so guilty about not having answered his long letter from last October. Turns out (to my surprise) that he was at home and alone, his partner being away on a business trip, so we had a nice chat for over an hour. What with special rates, that is actually quite affordable for me, at a cost of about 1 cent (US) per minute. Sent him an email with pictures of Thorin, Fili and Kili, and one of my wedding (aeons ago!!!), and he emailed me back, saying I made his Valentine's Day by ringing him, and with regard to the pictures, he now quite understands why I've seen The Hobbit AUJ seven times!

Apart from that, yesterday was that worldwide event 'One Million Rising' which I had entered in my appointment calendar a month ago and then totally forgotten what the entry was all about, so I missed it. Didn't realise this until reading the thread started by Annael, and felt really stupid. Also missed the various activities commemorating the first anniversary of that horrible day when the enemy assaulted our precious park and started cutting down our beloved trees (some of them 200 years old giants) ---- an act of barbarism that so shattered me that I ended up gaining ten pounds over the course of last year due to eating way too much of all kinds of sweets and snacks out of sheer sorrow and frustration. Not good. But have lost four of them without the slightest effort or diet on account of TH AUJ ---- that film, despite all its flaws, energises me and simply makes me happy, and even helped me through the last four weeks of flu and new trouble with my cat-maniac neighbours, which is another story, and not a nice one.

So, what can you give me to kill off this extremely persistent virus? Miruvor and something extra?

Have a lovely weekend, every one!

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 15 2013, 6:14pm

Post #12 of 44 (125 views)
Shortcut
We 'wuff' you too Altaira [In reply to] Can't Post

*looks up at your TOR map*

It was just an exchange of dollar store Heartcards and a little white bear i got there also (4''high) that squeeked out 'I wuv you' Laugh.

Here is what happened yesterday, at dawn

I hope you all had a goodly day:)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 15 2013, 9:28pm

Post #13 of 44 (103 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see he's still giving you plushies :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

We went out to eat a couple of days early to beat the rush, which was nice. Yesterday I went to a poetry-writing workshop at school on writing "love poems and hate poems" (so everyone could be included, I guess.) The basic instructions were to make a list of things you love (or hate) about the person, then add in similes and metaphors and sense details, and finish with a statement. I'll put mine at the end of this.

We each got each other the Loveland Valentine's Day card (our city makes a big deal out of Valentine's Day), and also made each other cards. I was surprised that he bought me flowers as well, which I don't expect, since the home-made card is always fun.

Here's my poem:

To [Uncle Baggins]

I love:

Your gentle snoring wrapping around me in the night,
Your warm tummy against my butt as we lie fork and spoon.

Your hands hovering over a project,
Holding a ruler the way an artist holds a brush,
Or grabbing spices from the rack
And tossing them into the pot with a great crescendo.

I love:

The way you say, I love to call you dear,
And the way you rub your itchy nose
Against my unfeminine whiskers.

The way your cheeks puff out
As you send rich waves of didgeridoo music
Surging around the living room.

I love:

Your silence on the mountain trail
As you touch my hand to show me the elk looming in the trees
Or the fairy lounging on the mushroom.

The way you pour the peppermint tea
From the grape teapot into the strawberry cup,
For all the world like the bear on a Celestial Seasonings package.

You are my sweet papa bear, and my dearest dear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 15 2013, 9:40pm

Post #14 of 44 (93 views)
Shortcut
Now....if that is not an Ode to love, i don't know what is.....:)\\ [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Feb 15 2013, 9:52pm

Post #15 of 44 (99 views)
Shortcut
Hope everyone had a great day yesterday [In reply to] Can't Post

For me and my partner we didn't really have a proper valentine's day as she was working for 12 hours and i was revising also my present off her didn't arrive until today, lol.

We decided to have our own valentine's day this weekend when we are less busy (and tired!).

My gift off her was awesome - 4 paintings all framed, 3 by Ted Nasmith and one by JRR Tolkien himself. The Ted Nasmith ones are:
1. Beorn and Gandalf talking,
2. Bilbo talking with Gandalf and Thranduil when he sneaked out of Erebor (don't know their official names sorry),
3. Eagles rescuing the company after warg attack

JRR Tolkien one is of Bilbo comes to the huts of the raft elves.

Starting to get a bit of a collection (she got me 2 paintings last Valentine)! My house is going to end up being a shrine to Tolkein's work, lol.

I would love to have an original Alan Lee, John Howe or Ted Nasmith work, though i have no idea how much that would be. I am imagining a phenomenal amount now for AL and JH for their wider fame after the movies. Still can dream.

As for what i got my partner - a Pandora charm as she has quite a few and likes wearing it.

As for weekend - not too sure, might go see Django Unchained as literally all my friend say its brilliant and i don't want to miss out, lol.

Hope you all have a good weekend and nice bear Altaira Smile

ryouko
Lorien

Feb 15 2013, 11:47pm

Post #16 of 44 (91 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm happily single [In reply to] Can't Post

So nothing going on here, other than an exam in class. And that was after a rough day at work. Yeehaw. Tongue

Otherwise, I was laughing over the very funny Sherlock Valentine poems that popped up on Twitter.

"Roses are Red......Boring! Bored! BORED!!! *shoots holes in the wall*" was one of my faves! Laugh

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 16 2013, 12:36am

Post #17 of 44 (88 views)
Shortcut
I've heard that the mountain snows [In reply to] Can't Post

have been lighter recently - I hope your area is able to make up some of its water deficit!

A candlelight dinner at home? How romantic! Is BG going to be the chef, or will you share duties?

Wait - the Oscar Party is only a week away? Already? But that means...we're even closer to the release of DoS! Laugh

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 16 2013, 12:41am

Post #18 of 44 (85 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...snow shovelling is the great wintertime activity, especially when done together! Laugh

We're supposed to get another 3-6 inches tomorrow...

I hope your "valentines" sent you something special, gramma! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 16 2013, 12:42am

Post #19 of 44 (82 views)
Shortcut
Hey, Evey! [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you get any Valentine chocolates? Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 16 2013, 12:46am

Post #20 of 44 (83 views)
Shortcut
Do you know where your towel is? [In reply to] Can't Post

Then there's no need to panic! Especially as we all know that Bilbo knows where his is! Wink

I wonder if any surprise guests will show up at The Party...

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 16 2013, 12:53am

Post #21 of 44 (77 views)
Shortcut
*pokes through pantry* [In reply to] Can't Post

Got some rum in here, oh wait, here's good whiskey...how about a hot toddy? That's a cup of hot black tea with honey, lemon, cinnamon and cloves if you'd like, and a shot of the "good stuff"!

What was that, about the trees? Unsure

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 16 2013, 12:53am

Post #22 of 44 (84 views)
Shortcut
I went downtown & danced in the "One Billion Rising" event in my town [In reply to] Can't Post

here's a video from the San Francisco event; still waiting for them to post the video of ours. This one captures how amazing it was!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WufjSyE_rK8

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 16 2013, 12:58am

Post #23 of 44 (77 views)
Shortcut
Frosting! [In reply to] Can't Post

We had that lovely tree-frosting yesterday also. Made for a very pretty drive to work!

So have you tried snowboarding yet? Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 16 2013, 1:01am

Post #24 of 44 (76 views)
Shortcut
Framed paintings! [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome! What size are they? At this rate, you'll soon be able to "read" the story by looking at your walls! Laugh

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 16 2013, 1:17am

Post #25 of 44 (75 views)
Shortcut
That was amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

And inspiring! And how did they ever maneuver those drums in there - but what a way to begin!

Please let us know, when the one your were in is online! Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.