Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Can you believe AUJ HFR 3D will STILL be in my local theater next week?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Tintallė
Gondor

Feb 15 2013, 2:38am

Post #1 of 33 (748 views)
Shortcut
Can you believe AUJ HFR 3D will STILL be in my local theater next week? Can't Post

I thought it would be gone.

I think I just heard my bank account groan. Or maybe it was my wallet. Or my nearby ATM. Or a chorus of all 3.

My name is Tintallë and I am an AUJ-olic.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 15 2013, 2:58am

Post #2 of 33 (296 views)
Shortcut
You lucky stiff!!!!!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It just pulled out as of tonight from the closest theater to me in 2D! Will be going about twenty miles on Sat and next week for where its left, also in 2D.
Wow. Nice to be you. Sayin' hello to a shift here n there to cover your addiction? Personally I lifted all my hubby's Christmas gift cards.

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 15 2013, 3:01am

Post #3 of 33 (284 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have seen it 8 times and yes, I just found out it's still showing in my area in all formats including HFR 3D. I guess I'll just have to see again.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

ryouko
Lorien

Feb 15 2013, 3:02am

Post #4 of 33 (279 views)
Shortcut
No HFR here [In reply to] Can't Post

That options been gone a while. But it's still being show in 3D, so I'm going for my 10th viewing this weekend. Heart

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 15 2013, 3:11am

Post #5 of 33 (271 views)
Shortcut
You are so lucky! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's only playing at one theater here now, and only in 2D. But of course, I'm going again this weekend, as I think it's the last time it will be in theaters.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Tintallė
Gondor

Feb 15 2013, 3:11am

Post #6 of 33 (281 views)
Shortcut
Yes, well I could kill all my time working extra shifts [In reply to] Can't Post

and have no time left for the movie.

It's only one show a day, at 9:50 p.m. I'm not sure that even avid fandom and coffee can keep me awake for that!

Tintallė
Gondor

Feb 15 2013, 3:13am

Post #7 of 33 (277 views)
Shortcut
Define "lucky" . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I may be lucky to see it but I am digging a financial pit for myself. 3D tickets ain't cheap!

Just think if I had put all the money I've spent in movie tickets toward a new HD 3D TV.

Tintallė
Gondor

Feb 15 2013, 3:14am

Post #8 of 33 (262 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes, definitely. You have to. You MUST! ; p // [In reply to] Can't Post

Tintallė
Gondor

Feb 15 2013, 3:15am

Post #9 of 33 (266 views)
Shortcut
Do you know I have actually lost count of the number of times I've gone?!! [In reply to] Can't Post

More than 10 and fewer than 20, but beyond that I could not say.

It's probably best that I not know exactly how obsessed I am!

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 15 2013, 3:18am

Post #10 of 33 (271 views)
Shortcut
Well, I have 3 kids [In reply to] Can't Post

and every time I go watch it, they go too! Make the ticket price times 3. I'm glad my family gave me movie theater gift cards for Christmas.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Tintallė
Gondor

Feb 15 2013, 3:23am

Post #11 of 33 (259 views)
Shortcut
Oh! Your kids really like it, then! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's great! Well, except for the ticket costs but hey, how often do we really get a chance to do this sort of thing, anyway? It's worth it! Smile

If I may ask, are they on the younger or older side? My kids are grown and there have been very few people younger than high school in the audience at the times I've gone, so I am curious to know how AUJ plays with children.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 15 2013, 3:30am

Post #12 of 33 (258 views)
Shortcut
So true [In reply to] Can't Post

and no way to live. Especially with Middle Earth calling.

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 15 2013, 4:01am

Post #13 of 33 (266 views)
Shortcut
My kids like it! *spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

They are both boys, ages 8 and 10. 10 year old liked it, and the music (I catch him humming Misty Mountains...). 8 yo was completely enthralled. He asked to see it a second time (and I made the supreme sacrifice of taking them a second time. Oh, the things we mothers must do...Angelic) . Then he asked to read "The Hobbit" (which he just finished this week, it was a tough slog for an 8 year old...)

They both liked the Dwarves and Radagast and the Riddle Scene. 10 yo likes Kili best (not by name, "the one who is good with the bow"). 8 yo likes Balin best (book and movie). 8 yo was also highly sympathetic to the Dwarves when reading the book, for example being upset with Bilbo over the Arkenstone. And I can tell the movie made a big impression on 8 yo because he remembers details from it. (For example, he showed me the map in the book and wanted to know how it was possible the Dwarves saw the Mountain at the end of the movie, considering where they were... )

Tintallė
Gondor

Feb 15 2013, 4:20am

Post #14 of 33 (245 views)
Shortcut
Haha! That reminds me of [In reply to] Can't Post

a poster here who remarked that the mountain was in the wrong direction based on where the sun was rising as they stood on the Carrock. I was astounded that anyone would pick up on that. Your 8 year-old is very observant!

I am delighted to hear that your boys were delighted and even more happy to know that delight led to reading the book. Start 'em young, I say!

I'd never heard of Tolkien until my aunt and uncle gave me The Fellowship of the Ring for my birthday when I was in grade school. I'm sure they never realized it was book one of a trilogy. When I got to the end I pestered my dad until he took me to a book store for the other two books! Because of the cost I ended up with the paperback boxed set whose crazy covers were a triptych of this:
http://mysite.verizon.net/..._poster_1024x502.jpg

I still have them. They're shredding into little yellowed crispy bits but I love the covers.

Thanks for posting that! I loved hearing it!

(This post was edited by Tintallė on Feb 15 2013, 4:21am)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 15 2013, 4:39am

Post #15 of 33 (248 views)
Shortcut
You might like this discussion... [In reply to] Can't Post

Back in January there was a great post by Aragalen the Green about kids' reactions and some discussion of it here.

(I recalled more of 10 yo's reaction back then! Because 8 yo was reading the book, we have talked about it more recently).

Tintallė
Gondor

Feb 15 2013, 5:00am

Post #16 of 33 (234 views)
Shortcut
That is a fantastic thread, especially the original post. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for the link! Aragalen puts it very well - danger contrasted with silliness makes it a children's movie, while adults can enjoy just as much but it in a different way on a different level.

Very thoughtful posts there - good reading! Thank you again!

P.S. Wonderful commentary on your children's spin on things - moth-o-grams to Radagast and burping at the table!

(This post was edited by Tintallė on Feb 15 2013, 5:03am)

cats16
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2013, 5:29am

Post #17 of 33 (216 views)
Shortcut
Wow you're lucky [In reply to] Can't Post

My local theater pulled all showings of AUJ for this weekend. Most likely because of Escape from Planet Earth, and the classic Disney series coming in for the weekend. I thought it would hang around until the end of the month. But they're really pushing for the Best Pic. candidates, so they're also taking up some show times.

Sślimė
Rivendell

Feb 15 2013, 5:53am

Post #18 of 33 (227 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm jealous! AUJ has been gone from my city for a few weeks now. I was just looking up HD YouTube clips of AUJ last night and was thinking I would LOVE to get another HFR viewing.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 15 2013, 10:14am

Post #19 of 33 (191 views)
Shortcut
It's going to be here for another few more weeks at least [In reply to] Can't Post

In my area, where 3D HFR is the standard (there are far less showings in 2D here.)

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Feb 15 2013, 10:14am)

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 15 2013, 10:25am

Post #20 of 33 (183 views)
Shortcut
Germany [In reply to] Can't Post

Just checked my local theatre (German town, 100.000 pop) out of curiosity and it is still on every day, HFR 3D only, for next week.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 15 2013, 11:16am

Post #21 of 33 (170 views)
Shortcut
Local showings [In reply to] Can't Post

Locally, it is now only on in 2D at 10.15 a.m., but I will catch it again in the 3D HFR in central London, where it is still showing next week!

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen it – must be nine or ten times – but once it is gone it is gone. The experience simply won't be the same on a small screen at home.

With regard to children, they seem to crease themselves up at the Troll scenes, Radagast's antics and the Goblins. Unfortunately, they seem to like the 'PJ gross moments' (snot, etc) as well ...Smile

namarie
Rohan

Feb 15 2013, 12:10pm

Post #22 of 33 (166 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually the 3D 48FPS is the only version that is playing in theaters now.

“The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there!”

Marionette
Rohan

Feb 15 2013, 3:02pm

Post #23 of 33 (137 views)
Shortcut
The forgotten audience [In reply to] Can't Post

I would dare to say the most of movies, and the most of movie goers, just forget about the rest of the world, a wider audience: Children and elders.
And I would say the elders more than children, cuz children have lots of movies these days.

The most of people (Movie goers, fans, internet fandoms and critics) bash movies becoz they don“t have what they (That certain group of people) consider that make "a great movie". And they thrash a movie because it might be appealing to children as well.

Movies have been *always* like that. This is not new: The most of movies (and not only Hollywood ones, I would say all movie industry) are made to be appealing to certain group of people: what it is considered the valid one. Maybe the dominant one, from 14 to, more less, 50 years olds.

But besides that. We have these days a very *powerful* influence, over everything, from that group of people.

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2013, 3:03pm

Post #24 of 33 (138 views)
Shortcut
It's playing in HFR 3D at my local cinema... [In reply to] Can't Post

this weekend as well.

I'm going to see if I can sneak off one last time and see it before it exits theaters.

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 15 2013, 4:05pm

Post #25 of 33 (128 views)
Shortcut
We had this edition [In reply to] Can't Post

or at least my grandfather had this addition of LOTR when I was young. I'd ask him about the books occasionally and he'd tell me he loved gollum as a character. Didn't start reading the books until I was in high school. Aren't the covers by an artist admired by Tolkien?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.