Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Alfrid's role in the next two films

cats16
Tol Eressea

Feb 13 2013, 10:36pm

Views: 1010
Shortcut
Alfrid's role in the next two films Can't Post

I was recently scanning the character lists for the trilogy, and I had almost forgotten "The Master of Laketown's conniving servant."

Adding to speculation for the building plot between the dwarves and Smaug, and all of the Azog/Bolg/Necromancer hoopla, where does everyone think Alfrid fits in?
How will he stir the story's pot? Of course, with 5-6 hours of film time remaining, there are numerous ways this character could become involved. Perhaps once the relationship between the Orc duo is revealed, we can further postulate Alfrid's alliances.

I'm considering he may be secretly working with someone associated with Dol Guldor. Whether that is Bolg, Azog, or even the Necromancer himself (or any combination of those characters), I cannot guess now. The fact that PJ calls Alfrid 'a much larger role' than his previous role of Drogo Baggins indicates to me that we will be seeing quite a bit of him. I say this only because I have assumed Drogo's role in early drafts of the script to be no larger than those of Frodo and older Bilbo.

Here's my bold prediction on this issue, but don't flog me if I'm wrongSmile:

- Alfrid is a character somewhat similar to that of Grima Wormtongue in LOTR. While Grima was secretly helping Saruman, Alfrid is working for the inhabitant(s) of Dol Guldor. Comparative to Grima's betrayal/poisoning of Theoden, Alfrid negatively influences (by some means) the mind and physical appearance of the Master. I would guess this effect to be much more subtle than in LOTR. It may be more along the lines of Alfrid strongly enticing the Master to have become a greedy, disgusting, worthless and corrupt man. It wouldn't hurt for Alfrid to be using some poison-like concoction given to him while in Dol Guldor. Perhaps Stephen Fry's description of his character's nastiness reflects this "poisoning." And, when the dwarves arrive, I would assert that Alfrid tries to act as a major hinderance to their quest. Possibly even to the extent of Alfrid notifying Bolg/Azog of their presence. And...this is what leads the orcs to the Lonely Mountain, resulting in all of the previously stated events proposed during the Bo5A (i.e. how Bolg/Azog get there at all).

I'm really curious as to what everyone thinks of this idea. Of course, I don't want to assert that I think this will happen, or should. I just think it would be an interesting way to tie some loose ends together.

And if you disagree with this in some ways, or entirely, please do respond with your ideas on Alfrid's role in the next two films.

Cheers to the never ending speculation!!Cool

Here is PJ's quote on selecting Ryan Gage for this role... " Ryan is a great young actor who we originally cast in a small role, but we liked him so much, we promoted him to the much larger Alfrid part." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit_%28film_series%29#Cast

Subject User Time
Alfrid's role in the next two films cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Feb 13 2013, 10:36pm
    Too similar to Gríma daemoon Send a private message to daemoon Feb 13 2013, 11:11pm
    Maybe... Ereinion Nénharma Send a private message to Ereinion Nénharma Feb 14 2013, 12:20am
        Well cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Feb 14 2013, 3:08am
    Well, I disagree with you about the Master having an alliance with Orcs/goblins.... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Feb 14 2013, 1:24pm
    I seriously hope you are wrong :) Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Feb 14 2013, 5:23pm
    Foil for the Master IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Feb 14 2013, 9:20pm
    Alfrid could be a great character stoutfiles Send a private message to stoutfiles Feb 15 2013, 3:59am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.