Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dwarf Boar Riders

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Feb 12 2013, 9:39pm

Post #1 of 12 (2253 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf Boar Riders Can't Post

Since I haven't seen this discussed, I'll throw the ball.

For the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen this picture, part of promo material for the game The Hobbit: Armies of the Third Age, here it is.

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/...f45db76cc61e0d25.jpg

What do you think about the appearance of the boar-riders based on what you see in the image? Does this ease/reinforce any concerns you had, or do you like the idea?

Bonus question: who do you think the Dwarf pictured might be? (he seems to stand out dramatically from the Dwarves in the background due to his costume). Could this be (however unlikely), a first glimpse of Mr. Ironfoot or is it merely one of his captains?

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

jtarkey
Rohan

Feb 12 2013, 9:41pm

Post #2 of 12 (885 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was awesome when I saw that picture for the first time! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is an addition that really seems to fit the character of the dwarves. I can't really imagine them riding anything else and being taken seriously.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Feb 12 2013, 10:20pm

Post #3 of 12 (814 views)
Shortcut
Think it could work [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a very interesting idea and it could work really well as there is some similarities between rider and mount: tough, stout, angry potentially very dangerous. In the recent "Guardians of Middle Earth" game, their is allied soldiers that fight along side the real players, Dwarf Boar riders make an appearance as the good side's cavalry (take that Rohan).

I'm wondering if we'll get a massed boar on a similar scale to Rohan's arrival at Pelenor.

Yes, my username is terrible.

ThorinIIIStonehelm
The Shire

Feb 12 2013, 10:26pm

Post #4 of 12 (832 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm really looking forward to seeing these guys in action. I've never had a problem with the whole Dwarves riding Boars thing and I really like that look although the design of the Boars might change.

If I might add a question how different do you think Dain's Boar will look compared to the regular soldiers', if at all? I'm just thinking from the point of view of identifying a leader and they've done it for Azog, giving him a large White Warg.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Feb 12 2013, 10:31pm

Post #5 of 12 (800 views)
Shortcut
A good point, I hadn't thought about that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless they make him physically stronger I doubt there will much of a large difference, and it may be more subtle (e.g. Dain simply rides a grey or black boar when those around him ride brown ones). It will interesting to see how PJ & Co. approach this point.

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

Nunilo
Bree

Feb 12 2013, 10:41pm

Post #6 of 12 (796 views)
Shortcut
Looks Fascinating [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only ever imagined dwarves as skilled foot-soldiers so I'll be interested to see how this plays out, but a charging boar is certainly not something I would want to contend with on a battlefield!! For animal choice boars are the perfect match for dwarves in terms of fighting approach- pummelling full force into the enemy and knocking everything out of the way, especially with those huge tusks. Beats ponies :)

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 13 2013, 3:59am

Post #7 of 12 (726 views)
Shortcut
They don't look like they do well with horses (ponies), so boars would be better. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gimli did say they are better on foot over short distances, so they would need some sort of animal to move them far fast.

Is is just the dwarves of the Iron Hills that use boars? I know Dain was at Azanulbizar, but all the dwarves in the movie depiction of the battle were on foot.

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 13 2013, 4:03am

Post #8 of 12 (735 views)
Shortcut
Dain [In reply to] Can't Post

Billy Connolly commented about riding a pig. I don't know if that means there will be a lot of them, or a few for scouting, or what. The animals are fun, and I know why they will have them, so that combat seems faster and more furious than a big bunch of infantry slogging it out. (That's why I think we'll see a few). Now the Tolkienite in me says that it reeally was an infantry action as described, so I cold do without them, and be just as happy.

If they're done well, I don't have a concern.

Joe20
Lorien

Feb 13 2013, 6:00am

Post #9 of 12 (741 views)
Shortcut
Love it. I think PJ already confirmed they will be in... [In reply to] Can't Post

if my memory serves me correctly. Well not boars specifically but I remember he said in some video interview a while back he was looking forward to playing around with mounts for the dwarves.

Nightwing
Bree

Feb 13 2013, 8:01am

Post #10 of 12 (730 views)
Shortcut
I like the idea of dwarf boar riders [In reply to] Can't Post

But if appearing in the trilogy, I hope they are used moderately and with dignity. I wouldn't want them to be turned into another rabbit sled debacle.

Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh can't write, and Galadriel is not the most powerful being in all of Middle-earth. She is inferior to Sauron, Saruman, and Gandalf.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Feb 13 2013, 2:41pm

Post #11 of 12 (686 views)
Shortcut
Worried [In reply to] Can't Post

The CGI on mounts has been...less than convincing so far. I hope bad CGI is not prevalent in BO5A.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2013, 6:07am

Post #12 of 12 (757 views)
Shortcut
Boar Riders [In reply to] Can't Post

Since we've already had a lot more whimsical draft animals (rabbits, megaloceros, wargs that look like Andrewsarchus) in this film so far (in keeping with Hobbit's more fairytale nature), boars would rock.

I've worked with some potbellied pigs, only about a hundred pounds and less than knee high... and quite friendly... until you walk into their lair with a bucket of feed then.....

ShockedPirateShockedShockedShocked wwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhgggghhh !!!

Even a pig that small has a lot of power, and it is backed up with one of the most intelligent brains of any domestic animal. They seem to pull their power right up out of the ground (like Dwarves), they're low, rooted, like bulldozers. Dwarves on really big pigs would just be plain scary.

Go outside and play...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.