Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Stephen Fry speech
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Feb 13 2013, 11:35am

Post #26 of 37 (267 views)
Shortcut
No, it's called being self-deprecating... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not taking oneself/somethings too seriously....which is a good thing in healthy doses! Cool

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 13 2013, 12:30pm

Post #27 of 37 (306 views)
Shortcut
Stephen Fry [In reply to] Can't Post

I was initially a bit taken aback at what Stephen said at the BAFTAs, but as someone here said, it is just him and British humour. It's great that the Hobbit was talked about and that several of the cast were at the BAFTAs.

I like the interview with Stephen Fry with the link posted here – he is a very erudite man. He was full of praise for PJ and obviously enjoyed his time in New Zealand. One thing he did say was that he has been made to look really gross. I hope he is not too gross – just about the only things I did not like in the the first film were the burping, snot and a certain part of Radagast's make-up...

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Feb 13 2013, 12:31pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Feb 13 2013, 2:29pm

Post #28 of 37 (253 views)
Shortcut
I [In reply to] Can't Post

wasnt taken aback and dont find anything rude about his comments. I have no idea what people are getting so vindictive about. Its obvious hes making a joke.

I watched, i laughed, i moved on.

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

dubulous
Rohan

Feb 13 2013, 4:37pm

Post #29 of 37 (233 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure he will make a great Master [In reply to] Can't Post

...and that will be because of his abilities as an actor, and has nothing at all to do with his personality. If I had to compare Stephen Fry to any character in the story, it would probably be Gandalf.

Don't judge someone you clearly know nothing about based on one line he read on the teleprompter while hosting an award show.

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 13 2013, 7:08pm

Post #30 of 37 (204 views)
Shortcut
I believe you are talking it a little too personal, [In reply to] Can't Post

unless he is a personal relation of yours. I think I'm entitled to my opinion and you to yours without taking it personal.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 13 2013, 9:23pm

Post #31 of 37 (177 views)
Shortcut
It's also a way for him to keep mentioning TH [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That's just Mr Fry's way.may have sounded odd for him to say that about a movie he is in but he is a very clever and witty chap and wouldn't have said anything derogatory in any serious way.just a bit of fun that's all.

Tintallë
Gondor

Feb 14 2013, 2:26am

Post #32 of 37 (142 views)
Shortcut
I laughed and laughed at that [In reply to] Can't Post

as well as the rest of his running commentary throughout the ceremony. I think he has a rather brilliant sense of humor. I simply cannot find offense when he was so very clearly making good natured fun!

Those who found him offensive will perhaps find me equally so. Oh well.

And really, after the epic LOTR trilogy and films it is rather laughable that the little hobbit story, a children's tale, is being stretched into 3 movies - but then Peter Jackson is giving us so much more than just that book. He has taken full advantage of Tolkien's writings to enrich every aspect and every detail, and we are definitely the richer for it. Lucky us! I like to think it's the extended edition rewrite Tolkien might have done eventually had he re-visited the original. Wink

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 14 2013, 4:33am

Post #33 of 37 (159 views)
Shortcut
Stephen Fry and PJ are friends. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a little info for those not familiar with Stephen or his pre-existing relationship with PJ: He's not just some random actor hired for a bit part - he and PJ have been collaborating for some years now; Stephen was the scriptwriter for the Dambusters remake PJ has on the back burner (currently in development limbo). They know each other quite well. Nobody on the production is going to be ruffled by a little ribbing from Stephen.

Besides, Stephen's comments were a much milder version of the extended riff on the same joke that Saturday Night Live did a few weeks ago, which people seemed to think was funny. Really, this is an obvious thing to joke about - it's always the first thing that people outside the fandom say to me about TH; "How on earth are they blowing up one small book into three movies?" Even PJ and Andy were joking about the length of the production in one of the first Vlogs, long before the decision had been made to split into three. Everyone knows this is a LOT of movie for a smallish book.

Silverlode

glor
Rohan

Feb 14 2013, 5:08am

Post #34 of 37 (143 views)
Shortcut
It's not a speech, it's a script [In reply to] Can't Post

(BTW I agree with your comments)

The script of a presenter. This wasn't Stephen Fry making an acceptance speech or something similar where he was venting his own personal opinions, he was (obviously) reading an autoprompter.

That context, that difference between someone reading a script to present a show/award ceremony is a very different bag to someone making a speech. I recall an award show (SAG?) for ROTK with Clint Eastwood making digs and sarcastic comments about (the lack of)proper acting in the context of CGI and fantasy during his acceptance speech, obviously aimed at ROTK, and then PJ accepting his award minutes later via a video link(PJ appeared annoyed, in fact his body language and facial expression made it looked like he would have jumped out of the screen and hit him if he could) I can't recall the exact quote but Clint Eastwood's opinions in his speech even made the award audience make disapproving noises, it was quite nasty and bitter.

Stephen Fry's script however, was more a joke at his own expense, a self-effacing comment about one's own part in these movies. The irony is that in the film industry, especially the side that the BAFTAs mostly focus on, a cash cow is a good thing and something to be celebrated. After all, profits keep the industry and film making going, blockbusters do fund art, and sometimes blockbusters and 'cash cows' can be art also, some trilogy called LOTR proved that Cool

trqn13
Bree

Feb 14 2013, 1:37pm

Post #35 of 37 (114 views)
Shortcut
episode 9 [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit 9: Are we nearly home yet Gandalf??? XDD love it

dubulous
Rohan

Feb 14 2013, 10:55pm

Post #36 of 37 (94 views)
Shortcut
Me? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not the one getting upset about a harmless joke and turning it personal, because that's what you appear to be doing with your hasty judgements. It's no concern to me what you think of Stephen Fry but since you clearly know nothing about him, I just wanted to point out you might want not want to jump to conclusions.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2013, 2:46am

Post #37 of 37 (210 views)
Shortcut
Loved it. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Hobbit 9: Are we nearly home yet Gandalf??? XDD love it

I totally cracked up at that. And they cut to Martin Freeman and he was laughing too. Come on, you gotta love Brit humor. It can sometimes be sarcastic and biting (Freeman is really good at it) but it's darned funny. I loved Fry and that comment right there had me rolling.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.