Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: “I can fight!”

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Feb 13 2013, 12:47pm

Post #1 of 9 (627 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: “I can fight!” Can't Post

Mae Govannen, my friends.

This scene is when the Company is under attack by Wargs and Théoden tells Éowyn to lead the people to Helms Deep.

You can find the full-sized image here.
As always, feel free to answer any or all the questions.

1. What were your first impressions on this scene?
2. Why do you think they chose to show the camera looking down at Éowyn, rather than from the side as in the previous moment?
3. When Théoden says ‘You must do this for me’ his tone is final. Éowyn might obey him, but I think her expression tells a different story. What are your thoughts on this?
4. If you were in Éowyn’s position, determined to fight but told not to, would you do as she did and obey Théoden’s orders out of duty, or would you rush to fight alongside Aragorn?
5. Any other comments?

......"Since the first time I met you,
..I couldn't seem to forget you.
.......And lately I seem to find,
..That you're always on my mind.
.......Whenever I see you smile,
..It makes my life so very worthwhile.
......And ever since the very start,
..You have always been there in my heart.
..Then I heard that you felt the same way,
....................................................................And those words were so easy to say."

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 13 2013, 1:22pm

Post #2 of 9 (352 views)
Shortcut
my answers [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been awhile since I first saw it, but I think I liked it. It was not familiar to me from the books, but it did its part in developing Eowyn's character in the film.

2. Why do you think they chose to show the camera looking down at Éowyn, rather than from the side as in the previous moment?

I'd never thought about it. But Theoden is (literally) looking down at her in this moment, right? It reflects her feelings that she is not valued and considered less (than the men).

3. When Théoden says ‘You must do this for me’ his tone is final. Éowyn might obey him, but I think her expression tells a different story. What are your thoughts on this?

Yes, I do not think she is happy about this.

4. If you were in Éowyn’s position, determined to fight but told not to, would you do as she did and obey Théoden’s orders out of duty, or would you rush to fight alongside Aragorn?

Yes, in this instance I would. While the assignment she is given is not to her taste, it is an important thing someone has to do, and as a member of the royal family she is a natural choice the people will accept and follow.

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 13 2013, 1:52pm

Post #3 of 9 (322 views)
Shortcut
Here's what I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. It's a nice part of Eowyn's character arc, that shows her determination to fight and not to be treated as 'just a women'.

2. I never really noticed this, but I think that it might be more from Theoden's point-of-view (is he taller than her?), and also to show that she is smaller than men.

3. She obeys him because she has to, not just because he is her uncle but also because he is her king. And his tone implies to me that this is not a request anymore but a command. She's not happy about it, though.

4. I think that I would obey the king's command, family or not.

5. Now, I have always thought Eowyn's wish to fight quite arrogant and selfish, especially in this scene. Theoden is already one heir down, with the death of Theodred, he has no idea where his new heir, Eomer, is at that moment. Theoden has no one else left to lead the people to Helm's Deep, in case he is killed (and I don't think Theoden has any other choice but to fight - he is in command, after all). He has to look after his people somehow, and Eowyn is the only member of the royal family left.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 13 2013, 8:20pm

Post #4 of 9 (305 views)
Shortcut
She's trapped again. [In reply to] Can't Post

Fiesty Eowyn does not wear the cloak of responsibility with ease.

Nothing more than this being from Theoden's POV - and he sits higher than her, on a horse.

For a long time Eowyn has been helpless in the face of Theoden's weakening state under Wormtongue's influence, and her own thoughts have been poisoned against her by the whispers of Wormtongue. She was trapped in her royal role and unable to help the people she loves - until Gandalf came along and freed them from Saruman's reach. Since then she has seen her King regain his strength and his mind, her brother has been restored to his rightful position and her people are taking action to defend themselves - and she also is feeling hints of love for a worthy man. But now, when her people are in direct threat and she is able to finally take action after being forced into passivity for so long, her King is barring her from doing what she desperately wants to do: Fight for herself and her people. She is trapped, again, in the responsibilities of her royal role and the traditions of her sex to protect and nurture, rather than take up a sword and stand defiant. Her King and her people might be restored, but her situation hasn't changed an awful lot.

I'd obey - he is, after all, the King, and also the Uncle she loves and nearly lost to madness.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 13 2013, 9:38pm

Post #5 of 9 (311 views)
Shortcut
A fighter [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't recall my first impression so much. My impression of this scene now is just that she doesn't want to be a leader but a fighter for her people.

I think you get more from her seeing the expression of disappointment on her face.

I think her expression reminds me of a young adult who gets told by their parent they have to do something. They do it because they have to but they sure as heck don't like it.

I'd follow orders. That's part of how I'm wired to be honest. Sometimes fighting for your people means simply just leading them while others battle it out.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2013, 6:34am

Post #6 of 9 (365 views)
Shortcut
The way I understood this scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Despite her her frustration at not being allowed to do her part to fight for her people, she gives into Theoden - not so much out of obedience to her king's command, but out of respect for her uncle's plea. She knows that, while it is important for the people to have a leader, he's really asking her to stay safe so that he won't have to worry about her. They've lost Theodred, they don't know the fate of Eomer; for now, they are the only family each other has.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

willowing
Lorien

Feb 18 2013, 8:01am

Post #7 of 9 (242 views)
Shortcut
I can fight? [In reply to] Can't Post

There were a lot words being exchanged between uncle and niece. Behind her reply to Theoden about wanting to join the fight there may have been another question? What do you want me to do uncle? This images captures a determined but questioning look from Eowyn.

David Gates the singer from Bread coined the phrase "a picture paints a thousand words" and I could say the same about this image.

Once again the expression on her face, if Theoden had given the OK She would have sprung instantly onto her horse. I think the camera chose the angle nicely to lay bare the emotional tension etched on Eowyns features.

"Theoden's words 'You must do this for me" right at that point the interests and welfare of her uncle and people did not concern her one little bit. Her heart was doing the talking and not the head.

The personal side got the better of her, she saw Theoden more as uncle rather than king in her attachment to Aragorn. When Theoden spoke those words to her she had to separate uncle from king. In this affair King won out.

5. Any other comments?

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 20 2013, 1:02am

Post #8 of 9 (257 views)
Shortcut
Eowyn nice. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tenderness and emotion.

2. Why do you think they chose to show the camera looking down at Eowyn, rather than from the side as in the previous moment?

I think it's to reveal the full extent of her facial emotion, her faith and love of Aragorn.

When Theoden says 'You must do this for me' his tone is final. Eowyn might obey him, but I think her expression tells a different story. What are your thoughts on this?

I think her conscience wants to follow Theoden, but her heart certainly doesn't!

I can't really decide on the last one!

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Rostron2
Gondor

Mar 1 2013, 8:45pm

Post #9 of 9 (232 views)
Shortcut
Eowyn/Theoden [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked the tension and how duty and sense took over in her mind. Once she had obeyed him, she quickly took charge. It's a nice moment from the King/Princess standpoints, as well as a family moment. Bernard Hill and Miranda Otto were excellent throughout.

Not sure. She is rather small and unarmored, though defiant.

I love actors than can show the thoughts on their faces in a subtle way, without many words. You can see the entire thought process in her mind, and then she gives in.

I would obey the king and my uncle. There's no choice, really.

5. Any other comments?

As I said, Miranda and Bernard were really great. I really liked everything about Rohan. It was very clear that this culture had a lot behind it.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.