SAST Quiz #3
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12 2013, 11:25am

Post #26 of 45 (657 views)
Shortcut
OH MY...!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Christopher Tolkien should worry less about film adaptations and more about fans' imaginations Shocked

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 2:40pm

Post #27 of 45 (645 views)
Shortcut
It's as if [In reply to] Can't Post

they were about to enter a Brave New World or something.

I had to cheat to implicate Huxley. But in the phrase there's also references to baptism (obviously) and the idea that one need come to salvation with the attitude/heart of a child (there's a scripture or two about it). That really turns expectations for the scene on its head. Laugh

To my mind, at least in the context of when Tolkien was writing The Hobbit, pecker=face (or chin). A queer turn of phrase, that.

ETA: in the interests of accuracy, the line is Huxely, but not BNW.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Feb 12 2013, 2:46pm)

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 2:43pm

Post #28 of 45 (642 views)
Shortcut
I just recently read this [In reply to] Can't Post

but whether I retained it is another question:

1. The Company has a discussion about their next moves after they climb down from the Carrock, sitting in a little cave at the foot of the steps near the ford. After they finish the discussion, what is the next thing they all do?
They clean the goblin-stink off themselves. (fantasy deleted)

2. Name two kinds of animals that act as Beorn’s servants.
Dogs that walk on their hind legs and horses that carry trays of food on their backs

3. When Beorn returns from his excursion, as part of his explanation for what he’s been up to, he shows the Company two things that he’s just put outside his house. What are these two things?
A goblin head on a pike, and a warg-skin

4. While the Company journeys from Beorn’s house to the eaves of Mirkwood, what does Bilbo see at dusk prowling nearby (he sees this same thing again in the morning when the Company sets the ponies free to return to Beorn’s house)?
A huge bear.

5. What is Gandalf’s final bit of advice to the Company before he leaves them at the edge of Mirkwood?
Don't leave the path! And don't get wet!

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12 2013, 5:44pm

Post #29 of 45 (642 views)
Shortcut
Woo-hoo! Bread and honey! [In reply to] Can't Post

This chapter always makes me crave soft, warm bread with lots of honey slathered over it. Maybe minuka honey from NZ? My grocery story has several types of NZ honey and I can't wait to try them.

1. The Company has a discussion about their next moves after they climb down from the Carrock, sitting in a little cave at the foot of the steps near the ford. After they finish the discussion, what is the next thing they all do?

They're off to grandmother's house, of course! or is that the little girl with the red hood? Maybe it's to Beorn's house, although the dwarves and Bilbo don't know that - all they know is they're going to visit a Person.

Horses and dogs. The cats, of course, are supervising.

3. When Beorn returns from his excursion, as part of his explanation for what he’s been up to, he shows the Company two things that he’s just put outside his house. What are these two things?

Warg-pelt and goblin head. Ewwww.

4. While the Company journeys from Beorn’s house to the eaves of Mirkwood, what does Bilbo see at dusk prowling nearby (he sees this same thing again in the morning when the Company sets the ponies free to return to Beorn’s house)?

A bear. psssstt... It's really Beorn Sly

5. What is Gandalf’s final bit of advice to the Company before he leaves them at the edge of Mirkwood?

DON'T LEAVE THE PATH! WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T LEAVE THE PATH!!!!! Which, of course, they do, as soon as they can.

GwaihirWindLord

Feb 12 2013, 5:57pm

Post #30 of 45 (644 views)
Shortcut
You are all wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you to everyone for welcoming me so warmly! I should have stopped lurking long ago

1. Nakey time! I think they bathe in the river. Or maybe that is before the discussion, ah who knows.

2. Dogs and Ponies, just like the circus! Or a dog and pony show...

3. The head of an Orc and the hide or skin of a Warg. He puts them up as a warning to evil creatures that he does not hesitate to employ torture!

4. A large bear shape, presumably Beorn making sure they don't get hungry and eat his pony friends

5. Stay on the path? That's all I can think of

Nira
Lorien

Feb 12 2013, 7:29pm

Post #31 of 45 (632 views)
Shortcut
The chapter is... [In reply to] Can't Post

Queer Lodgings

Follow Gandalf to Beorn's place.

Horses/ponies, sheep. They would make fine waiters if they didn't get hair in the food, but dwarves are probably used to hair in their food and food in their hair. Of course, Thorin's hair never get's messy. Extra credit for mentioning Thorin's hair?

head of a goblin on a stake and the skin of a warg. ewww! You know PJ will put this in the movie.

A creature in the woods...might be Beorn as a bear watching them. Bilbo was doing a great Legolas impression. Bilbo, what do your hobbit eyes see?

Stay on the path through Mirkwood. I would have said leave a bread crumb (or cram crum) trail, but Bombur would have eaten it.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Feb 12 2013, 10:46pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 12 2013, 10:23pm

Post #32 of 45 (620 views)
Shortcut
It's been a while since I've read The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'll make some guesses.

1. no idea
2. ponies, can't think what else
3. a warg skin and a goblin head
4. a great bear
5. don't leave the path

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12 2013, 10:49pm

Post #33 of 45 (623 views)
Shortcut
***Reminder: please do NOT use the chapter title in your subject line!*** [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not supposed to be known until you've read Roheryn's post, AND understood that you're NOT to read it before answering! Placing it in the subject line gives others somewhat of an "advantage". Thanks! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 13 2013, 12:54am

Post #34 of 45 (621 views)
Shortcut
SAST quiz #3 [In reply to] Can't Post

1. They take a warm bath and make sure they look their best to go see Beorn. Or they go to Beorn's house a group at a time.
2. Ponies and dogs. (Unicorns and faries because he loves fairy tales)
3. A goblin's head and an autographed picture of Azog.
4. A bear(Beorn)
5. Follow the yellow brick road after all you're off to see the wizard. (Stay on the path.)

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

ryouko
Lorien

Feb 13 2013, 1:25am

Post #35 of 45 (597 views)
Shortcut
ooh [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

A golblin's head on a spike, and a vampire staked to the ground.

That brought to mind a rather happy thought. Edwards head on a spike, and Jake hide nailed to a tree. Wink

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Feb 13 2013, 1:52am

Post #36 of 45 (594 views)
Shortcut
I think so too [In reply to] Can't Post

I bet Beorn would do this. In fact, my new answer to 3 is just that. Edward's head on a spike and Jake's mutant wolf hide on a tree. Beorn saved a real vampire and werewolf from those two menaces.

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Feb 13 2013, 4:09am

Post #37 of 45 (583 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, dernwyn. :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 13 2013, 8:36am

Post #38 of 45 (630 views)
Shortcut
Hi there Ro [In reply to] Can't Post

Here I go again:

1. You really want to know??? This is a family friendly board, remember??? Oh well, they take a bath (how very uncommon for a dwarve, and do you have any idea how long it takes to:
untangle all that hair,
shampoo,
condition,
rinse,
rinse again,
put in moisterizers,
rinse,
rinse again,
put in de-frizz and heat protection,
than blow drying,
modelling and
adding all that gel, curling aid and gloss
takes???

2. Dogs and sheep!! (my favourite scene. My dog at home didn't want to cooperate, so I'm still sitting at an empty table.

3. Nasty, icky, jucky, things..... An Orc head and ..... and ..... (.... can't remember the second thing and I really don't want to add that loop hole name here....)

4. A big bear. Bilbo thought it was because of lack of sleep he was dreaming of sleeping and thus a giant teddy bear was showing in his dreams.

5. Follow the yellow brick road, follow the yellow brick road, follow, follow, follow, follow, follow the yellow brick road!

Elvanui
Rivendell

Feb 13 2013, 4:40pm

Post #39 of 45 (624 views)
Shortcut
Having another go! [In reply to] Can't Post

They take off their clothes and bathe in the stream! (It's canon, PJ)

Dogs on their hind legs annnd....a hedgehog called Sebastian?

An orc head and spear?

An enormous bear Smile

Don't leave the path!

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2013, 10:02pm

Post #40 of 45 (577 views)
Shortcut
****QUIZ CLOSED**** [In reply to] Can't Post

Answers & results posted sometime soon!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Feb 16 2013, 3:03am

Post #41 of 45 (751 views)
Shortcut
SAST Quiz #3 Answers & Results [In reply to] Can't Post

*Ro stretches and gets up lazily from her vantage point overlooking the ford at the base of the Carrock*

Well done, everyone! Thanks to everyone who participated in this week’s quiz. Average score was 3.4, so slightly better than perfectly mediocre! If you didn’t get #1 right, I expect you’ll never forget the answer again. I vote we petition PJ for including that scene -- and strictly following book canon. As always, each correct answer was worth 1 point; half-points aren’t awarded (i.e., for 2-part answers, you have to get both parts right to get the point). Please do let me know if you have any comments or queries!

*Ro wanders off wondering where the next vantage point will be*

ANSWERS

Then they took off their clothes and bathed in the river…”

“Some horses, very sleek and well-groomed, trotted up across the grass and looked at them intently…; then off they galloped to the buildings.” “Beorn clapped his hands, and in trotted four beautiful white ponies and several large long-bodied grey dogs. … Then baa – baa – baa! was heard, and in came some snow-white sheep led by a large coal-black ram.” [Needed 2 of these 5 for the point]

A goblin’s head was stuck outside the gate and a warg-skin was nailed to a tree just beyond.” [Needed both for the point!]

“As the light faded Bilbo thought he saw away to the right, or to the left, the shadowy form of a great bear prowling along in the same direction.” “As they went away Bilbo could have sworn that a thing like a bear left the shadow of the trees and shambled off quickly after them.”

“They heard his voice come faintly: ‘Good-bye! Be good, take care of yourselves – and DON’T LEAVE THE PATH!’”

RESULTS

5 Points

Angharad73
Aragalen the Green
arithmancer
Ataahua
Bellerock
dernwyn
Elberbeth
GwaihirWindLord
sador
Silverlode

4 Points

Arandiel
Eledhwen
entmaiden
grammaboodawg
Nira
Rosie-with-the-ribbons
The Prancing Pony

3 Points

Aunt Dora Baggins
Elessar
Elvanui
Eowyn3
NottaSackville (who gets his third point on a technicality)
Ruxendil Thoorg
Ziggy Stardust

2 Points

batik
SirDennisC

0 Points (pretty sure these three weren’t in it for the points, though!)

Eruwestial37
Escapist
ryouko

Invisible extra credit (thanks for the giggles and guffaws!) to: Angharad73; Aragalen the Green; Arandiel; arithmancer; Ataahua; batik; dernwyn; Elessar; entmaiden; Eowyn3; Eruwestial37; Escapist; grammaboodawg; GwaihirWindLord; Nira; NottaSackville; Rosie-with-the-ribbons; Ruxendil Thoorg; ryouko; sador; Silverlode; SirDennisC; Ziggy Stardust Laugh

For managing to work Thorin or his hair (or dwarven hair in general) in to their answers, Extra IEC to: Rosie-with-the-Ribbons; Nira; Angharad73; arithmancer; dernwyn; and Aragalen the Green. Well done. Cool

Nira
Lorien

Feb 16 2013, 7:57pm

Post #42 of 45 (552 views)
Shortcut
OMG! How could I have forgotten about the naked bathing part!? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish PJ included naked hobbits bathing or running around on the grass in FOTR, but alas he did not, so I'm not going to get too excited for a naked dwarf scene. But there is always hope...Angelic

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 16 2013, 11:22pm

Post #43 of 45 (538 views)
Shortcut
3 and extra credit! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice!Smile

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 17 2013, 11:50am

Post #44 of 45 (564 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't mind a naked [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin, Fili, Kili or Bilbo if it was done tastefully. But the other dwarves-not so much. With what I know of PJ I hope he doesn't go there at all.

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Feb 17 2013, 8:53pm

Post #45 of 45 (593 views)
Shortcut
I expect [In reply to] Can't Post

this is one place where PJ will deviate from book-canon, drat it. I still maintain with artistically placed shrubberies and sufficiently opaque riverwater, it could be a fun scene...like the Parth Galen bathing scene in FOTR (what? you don't remember that one?).

You're right that PJ's not too likely to go there...he wouldn't even let RA go shirtless in the brief "And he never forgave, and he never forgot" scene (the first design of that scene had him shirtless).

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.