Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Philippa Boyens talks The Hobbit, Extended Editions, Part 2 and 3.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 3:35pm

Post #1 of 28 (2602 views)
Shortcut
Philippa Boyens talks The Hobbit, Extended Editions, Part 2 and 3. Can't Post

This may have been posted back in December when it was written but I don't recall seeing it, so I thought I'd share it. If it's redundant for some, apologies.

I thought it was fun article for the movie fans.

http://collider.com/...he-hobbit-interview/

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 12 2013, 4:02pm

Post #2 of 28 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess I missed it when it came out. Nice interview! It's always interesting to me to read or hear what their thoughts were as they were creating the film. Fascinating. And I watched the interview with RA too, thank you very much! (Need I mention that Thorin poster at the bottom of the page?) Tongue

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 4:03pm

Post #3 of 28 (1049 views)
Shortcut
Sure. No problem :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 4:09pm

Post #4 of 28 (1132 views)
Shortcut
Labradorite eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew Middle-earth was in Canada. Wink

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 4:13pm

Post #5 of 28 (1056 views)
Shortcut
I'd never heard of it before I read this article... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a link to it in raw form.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...le:Adularescence.jpg

peace1993
Bree

Feb 12 2013, 6:06pm

Post #6 of 28 (1032 views)
Shortcut
DOS is shorter than AUJ? [In reply to] Can't Post

This kinda tells me that Smaug will die in TABA.

Sam: Trust a Brandybuck and a Took.
Merry: What? That was just a detour, a shortcut.
Sam: Shortcut to what?
Pippin: Mushrooms!

(This post was edited by peace1993 on Feb 12 2013, 6:12pm)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 6:33pm

Post #7 of 28 (1008 views)
Shortcut
I'm not seeing the same indication you are... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This kinda tells me that Smaug will die in TABA.

Here's what she said to the question that was asked about running times for DOS and TABA

Obviously you guys have two more Hobbit films and I’m sure that you’ve been looking at rough cuts of the two of them. Do you think that the length of the second and third film will be similar to the length of The Hobbit, or do you think that either of those could end up being shorter?

Boyens: No, I think they’ll be around the same or slightly shorter ideally. It’ll be interesting though, we’ll see. I know from the rough cut of film two that at the moment you could say that it will be shorter.

She indicated the running time would be about the same or slightly shorter for the remaining 2 movies. This is consistent with LOTR and what they have been saying from the beginning about this trilogy.

As to Smaug's ***spoiler********* death, I'm personally hoping that sequence will occur near the end of DOS.

To me, The Hobbit is a 3 Act structure.

A. Establish the quest
B. Complete quest
C. Divvy up the loot

Within A, the story and character arcs are established and the quest is begun. Within B they go through incredible obstacles and subsequently the story and character arcs are developed and the quest arc is completed. But within C (Divvy up the loot), the character arcs continue and the story arc shifts. To me, this is the genius of Tolkien within The Hobbit. Normally it would be A. Establish characters/story, B. Go on the journey C.Complete the Arcs.

While Smaug is definitely a main character and part of the main plot, I think the greater enemy ultimately becomes pride, selfishness, and greed.

TABA deserves it's own movie without Smaug.

(This post was edited by Owain on Feb 12 2013, 6:35pm)

peace1993
Bree

Feb 12 2013, 7:13pm

Post #8 of 28 (918 views)
Shortcut
I agree 100% [In reply to] Can't Post

with your proposal. But, a dragon in a film is a huge bonus for BO collections. Keeping him alive could help in attracting large segments of the mainstream audience for the third film.
However, as a fan of Tolkien and M-E I would prefer that he is disposed off in the second film.

Sam: Trust a Brandybuck and a Took.
Merry: What? That was just a detour, a shortcut.
Sam: Shortcut to what?
Pippin: Mushrooms!

Verbal_Daggers
The Shire

Feb 12 2013, 7:17pm

Post #9 of 28 (909 views)
Shortcut
great read.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad she said that they will be about the same length :D Tongue I need more and more of PJ's version of Middle Earth in my life!

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 12 2013, 7:26pm

Post #10 of 28 (957 views)
Shortcut
TABA [In reply to] Can't Post

A flashback could happen in TABA with the dragon's fall relayed to the dwarves. That aside, if Smaug does die at the end of DOS, TABA is going to be a pretty talky film until the BoFA, unless they resolve the Necromancer in TABA. There have to be action sequences of different varieties to fill 2.5 hours, maybe more...

As for length of DOS, they can keep cutting and switching and adding things all year.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 7:27pm

Post #11 of 28 (888 views)
Shortcut
Haha! Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I need more and more of PJ's version of Middle Earth in my life!

Laugh

MistyMountain
Lorien

Feb 12 2013, 8:45pm

Post #12 of 28 (882 views)
Shortcut
regarding the other pic of Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

It must be from TABA -- despite being out of focus, the ponies in the background appear to be pintos or paints which the original ponies were not. Could these be the ones they get from Laketown?

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 8:48pm

Post #13 of 28 (842 views)
Shortcut
Could be. Might also be the ponies they borrow... [In reply to] Can't Post

from Beorn as the company leaves Beorn's Hall to enter Mirkwood.

(This post was edited by Owain on Feb 12 2013, 8:48pm)

Macfeast
Rohan

Feb 12 2013, 8:50pm

Post #14 of 28 (840 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking DOS... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the ponies belonging to Beorn (thus placing this before the Company enter Mirkwood). Note also the bow (in the book, Beorn gave them bows), and the original gear the dwarves carry (gear they'd lose in captivity in Mirkwood).

MistyMountain
Lorien

Feb 12 2013, 9:06pm

Post #15 of 28 (795 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes! That's makes sense as well [In reply to] Can't Post

I also noticed the bow and wondered about that as well. Beorn must like pretty ponies!

cats16
Valinor

Feb 12 2013, 10:22pm

Post #16 of 28 (733 views)
Shortcut
And also [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin still has remnants of that black eye from Azog that will surely exist for much of DOS.

chrism628
Bree

Feb 12 2013, 11:22pm

Post #17 of 28 (803 views)
Shortcut
No Market Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I am really hoping to see the market scene make it into the extended edition. Judging from what Boynes says, it may not make it in at all :(

Elvanui
Rivendell

Feb 13 2013, 11:00am

Post #18 of 28 (668 views)
Shortcut
Elrond Scene, and Labradorite! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a great interview. I'm really excited to see the Bilbo/Elrond scene she mentions. And labradorite has been my favourite stone for years - it really is stunningly beautiful. But I'm confused about her mention of Galadriel wearing it 'at the end of the film' - what do you think she means by that? Is she talking about the Grey Havens, or something from The Hobbit? If LOTR, I never noticed this piece of jewellery. Rewatch time Laugh

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

nobofthepony
Lorien

Feb 13 2013, 12:36pm

Post #19 of 28 (568 views)
Shortcut
Smaug and TABA [In reply to] Can't Post

1. There is no way they go from Beorns' house to the death of Smaug in one movie. PJ would never tell a story that fast.

2. The Dol Guldor subplot will be the climax of film 2, not Bard vs. Smaug. If Smaug dies in film 2, the "too many endings" complainers will not return for a 3rd movie. And the reviewers who love to look for all the negatives will rip PJ a new one. Jackson knows this.

3. Film 2 will end at Dol Guldor and we will get a good look at Smaug when he leaves the mountain, but that's it. He will die at the beginning of TABA. There is no way they go from Beorn to Smaug's death and then try to do a whole other movie.

nobofthepony
Lorien

Feb 13 2013, 12:40pm

Post #20 of 28 (565 views)
Shortcut
Necromancer in DoS [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm confident they will wrap up the Dol Guldor subplot in DoS. If the subplot outlives Smaug, that would be unforgivable. The story is about the Dragon, not the Necromancer.

Shagrat
Gondor

Feb 13 2013, 1:19pm

Post #21 of 28 (591 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ's basically confirmed it's in by telling AICN's Quint he'll be 'the star of the Extended Edition'. For those who don't know, Quint cameos as a fishmonger in the market scene.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 13 2013, 3:02pm

Post #22 of 28 (501 views)
Shortcut
I'm open to lot's of ideas... [In reply to] Can't Post

it very well may be divided as you say.

I'm not convinced that will be the way they go, yet.

nenyacaster
Bree

Feb 14 2013, 11:44pm

Post #23 of 28 (379 views)
Shortcut
he's *spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

dead in the 2nd film. Yes, Smaug should and certainly will die in DOS. There is a lot that has to happen in the third film, and ending the second on a note of seeming triumph for the Dwarves, while foreshadowing the coming conflict would be great. They didn't want to open the third LOTR film with the death of Saruman, and I'm sure they won't here.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Feb 15 2013, 12:27am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2013, 3:33am

Post #24 of 28 (370 views)
Shortcut
No way *spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1. There is no way they go from Beorns' house to the death of Smaug in one movie. PJ would never tell a story that fast.

2. The Dol Guldor subplot will be the climax of film 2, not Bard vs. Smaug. If Smaug dies in film 2, the "too many endings" complainers will not return for a 3rd movie. And the reviewers who love to look for all the negatives will rip PJ a new one. Jackson knows this.

3. Film 2 will end at Dol Guldor and we will get a good look at Smaug when he leaves the mountain, but that's it. He will die at the beginning of TABA. There is no way they go from Beorn to Smaug's death and then try to do a whole other movie.

does Smaug die in film 2 . I agree. The end of film 2 will be showing Smaug flying off for Laketown and the events at Dol Guldor. No way do they kill off Smaug in film 2 for exactly the reasons you posted.

Although the haters will still say he's prolonging it. Can't win on that one I'll bet either way he does it.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Feb 15 2013, 4:46pm)

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Feb 17 2013, 3:10am

Post #25 of 28 (307 views)
Shortcut
When the decision... [In reply to] Can't Post

... to make 3 movies was first announced, I assumed it merely involved splitting the originally proposed second film in half and putting in the bits that would've been otherwise left for its EE... which you'd think would make both movies much closer to the 2-hour mark (and assuming AUJ was left largely uhindered by this news). Have they deliberately written more material since PJ made this announcement, or was the second movie always going to be that long?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.