Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*whimpers* this little kitty could use a hug...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 4:17am

Post #1 of 55 (385 views)
Shortcut
*whimpers* this little kitty could use a hug... Can't Post

or two... or three... or...

Sorry, last couple of days have been a wee bit stressful. Started with a bushfire on Sunday afternoon about a kilometre from my frontdoor, which thankfully our local fireys had under control by 7pm that night and we got the all clear on Monday morning. My boys kept cheering every time the water bombers flew over Heart

Anyway, that was all good and my Monday was going to be better. I was spending the morning catching up with friends. That was until the school rang my mobile and told me that my youngest son had had a bit of a fall in the playground. Not to worry, but his wrist seems to be pointing in an odd direction...

Took him to emergency, spent the next 4 1/2 hours speaking to doctors, having x-rays and then finally seeing the orthopaedic surgeon.

Aaron has a broken arm, they wanted to operate there and then, but he'd had lunch and he needed to have fasted for longer. So they've put a temporary cast onto his arm and tomorrow morning I have to take him back to the hospital for surgery to set his arm properly.

Not the best start to the school year Frown

Hope your week's looking better than mine.

*hugs & love*
Kel xHeart

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 4:26am

Post #2 of 55 (172 views)
Shortcut
Ouch [In reply to] Can't Post

What rough week! Hope your son is feeling ok. I deal with sick and injured adults and I just hate for kids to be hurt!
Wishing you smoother times!

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12 2013, 4:42am

Post #3 of 55 (190 views)
Shortcut
Oh, kitty! [In reply to] Can't Post

Out of the frying-pan, into the fire! Unsure

Having a brush fire that close is scary enough (you've had far too many land fires this summer!), but then to have to spend half the day with the doctors, and then some...

I hope the break is easily repairable, and he's not in too much pain from it! Is it his writing-hand?

You all need a bunch of {{{hugs}}}, and some good bright markers for us all to draw pictures on his cast! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 5:11am

Post #4 of 55 (167 views)
Shortcut
Wah? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just when you thought you could relax it's out of the frying pan... literally. I don't know how you do it Kel, I really don't. I've about had it up to here with that school and I'm on the other side of the planet!

Poor little guy. A broken arm just sounds painful... and waiting a day to set it, doubly so. I hope they gave the little tiger something to keep him comfortable and you sane.

Things must be about to get seriously blissful for you... at least that's my wish.

Evil

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 12 2013, 5:18am

Post #5 of 55 (164 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you're safe! [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember looking out the window one night in my younger years, and yelling that there was a brush fire in the woods...twice that night!, and going out to help fight them until the firemen arrived. We weren't home when we actually had a house fire. That one wasn't arson.

Unfortunately, my week isn't looking any better than yours. My parents were the ones waiting, and I'll be the one going back for surgery.

Best wishes to the young fellow and his parents! =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 5:21am

Post #6 of 55 (166 views)
Shortcut
*sighs* [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah, we were worried enough because his best mate has moved to a new school this year. But he's been really happy with his new class and teacher and his other friends are still there which has helped. But then for him and Isaiah to get picked on by older kids and Ron to end up with a broken arm!!

He was given some reasonably strong painkillers, which helped him sleep last night and we've got some for him to take tonight as well.

He wasn't too happy when he found out that he gets another cast on his arm after the surgery or that it will be on his arm for several weeks Pirate

Bit worried how he'll take the anaesthesia, some autistics react badly to it.

Really NOT the week I had planned Frown

Cheers dear Evil

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 5:22am

Post #7 of 55 (166 views)
Shortcut
This might help. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.google.co.nz/...biw=1146&bih=663
(Please ignore a couple of slightly off topic ones, 'kay? My intention is pureAngelic)

Hang in there, Mom!Evil You can do this!

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 5:26am

Post #8 of 55 (161 views)
Shortcut
Thanks EoPW [In reply to] Can't Post

We saw the fire as we were driving home from town, it was a bit worrying as we realised that the black smoke wasn't moving further away as we got closer to home. Was so relieved to see the water bombers doing their thing. We've been experiencing another heatwave,
Sunday was 40C with strong easterly winds expected that night, so we were a wee bit worried. Just a bit too close that one!

Sorry to hear that EoPW :(

Hope everything goes well for you too!

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 5:29am

Post #9 of 55 (162 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

we're doing well this year...

It is his writing hand. Not sure what they'll do about that at school. When his brother broke his hand he was given a laptop to use, but he's in High School, so they have different resources.

It's a radial break, so not too sure, I'm hoping it will be ok. I think I need to talk to the medical members of the family.

LOL maybe I could get some of you to send bright pictures and messages to put on his cork-board.

*hugs back* Heart

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 5:30am

Post #10 of 55 (160 views)
Shortcut

I'll let you know how he goes tomorrow. I think it's the waiting that's bothering me the most, and keeping my worry from him.

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 5:31am

Post #11 of 55 (157 views)
Shortcut
LOL love them! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Lissuin HeartSmile

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 6:31am

Post #12 of 55 (154 views)
Shortcut
Crikey mate [In reply to] Can't Post

That is definitely not going to make your 'Top 10 Awesome Weeks' list. Crazy
Sorry it's been so rough. My wings aren't huge, but I will do my best to stretch them across the ditch so I can reach you for a big hug. Heart

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 7:13am

Post #13 of 55 (149 views)
Shortcut
Cheers birdie :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, we've definitely had better weeks.

Hopefully it'll improve.

*hugs back* Heart

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

sador
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 7:42am

Post #14 of 55 (153 views)
Shortcut
Oh my! [In reply to] Can't Post

This sounds like a real stressful week! I hope the surgery goes right, and Aaron will mend properly.
We haven't got any bushfires here; but two weeks ago our kids decided to have an impromptu dance in the middle of the Sabbath meal, and my oldest daughter fell and broke two front teenth. Luckily, the root canals weren't damaged. Kids have a way of keeping us busy, don't they? Heart

Keep well Kel! FWIW, I'm thinking of you.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 9:25am

Post #15 of 55 (146 views)
Shortcut
Bless both your hearts! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hugs to you and your little guy! I hope the rest of the week goes much better for you. Take care and stay safe!

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12 2013, 10:25am

Post #16 of 55 (175 views)
Shortcut
Big squeezy hug [In reply to] Can't Post

for my big Sis {{{{Kel}}}} Heart

Glad the fires stopped, must be terrifying to see those (had one years ago, a long way away from home, but still it was a bit scary).

Going to keep my fingers crossed for Aaron the surgery goes all well and he gets a cool cast.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12 2013, 12:45pm

Post #17 of 55 (139 views)
Shortcut
She wasn't... [In reply to] Can't Post

...dancing on the table, I hope? (Only gramma should be doing that! Laugh)

Ouch, just thinking of breaking two teeth makes mine hurt, my sympathies to her! Unsure

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 2:02pm

Post #18 of 55 (147 views)
Shortcut
{{{{{Kelvarhin}}}}} [In reply to] Can't Post

A kilometer! Wow, that's frighteningly close. And probably choking too. So glad they got it out!

I'm so sorry about your son's arm. I think those things sometimes hurt Mom more than they do the kid. I'm sure the surgeon fixes bones all the time and all will go well, but it's stressful all the same.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 2:54pm

Post #19 of 55 (128 views)
Shortcut
Keep us posted [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't deal with arm issues too often but asked around. Ortho docs ssy surgical repair whether closed or open fixation offers great result especially with a dominant hand. so your docs seem to be on the right path.
Its so hard for parents; I would be a basket case!
Recovering childfen postop is usually one dedicated RN, so they will watch him very closely. His pain should be improved once the fix is done.

Best wishes and luck to you all.
IT WILL GET BETTER!!!!!

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 3:23pm

Post #20 of 55 (123 views)
Shortcut
Awwww.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember when my older son, age seven, fell off his bicycle and broke his arm. Not a happy time! If it's any consolation to you, he healed up promptly and has never shown any further effects---and his own son just turned nine.

Big hugs to you, m'dear, and here's hoping for some rainy weather as well. Heart Kel Heart

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 4:44pm

Post #21 of 55 (133 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to work in Pediatrics, and it's a rare child who makes it to adulthood without a cast or stitches. I was on a hike once with a bunch of kids, including an 11-year-old who was very upset about breaking her arm & having to wear a cast. So I asked the other kids if they'd ever broken a bone, and most of them had. Then we compared scars & told stories about how we got them. The next day the mom called me and said "what did you do? My daughter is totally okay with having a cast all of a sudden!" I told her I'd just proved to her how normal she was.

It's much harder to convince moms that it's a normal thing for kids to get hurt, though! Except my sister who resigned herself early to lots of ER trips with her risk-taking son. He's 30 now and has just learned to fly . . .

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

sador
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 7:48pm

Post #22 of 55 (115 views)
Shortcut
No, no Springle-ring [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
just thinking of breaking two teeth makes mine hurt

Yeah, mine too. It's funny though that at the time I didn't quite feel anything myself - had to calm her down, find a dentist, take her there and so on. Only after she finished suffering I began shuddering each time I see her dancing (she's back to it; and made a nice little drama for us on my recent birthday).

However, the dentist said the restored teeth cannot bite into any hard objects. Like poor Fili - no more apples for her!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12 2013, 11:00pm

Post #23 of 55 (102 views)
Shortcut
How sad! [In reply to] Can't Post

No apples, no raw vegetables, no corn-on-the-cob...but what an energetic gal she is!

Elizabeth
Valinor

Feb 13 2013, 5:28am

Post #24 of 55 (129 views)
Shortcut
Not only a hug, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Kittens!

{{{{{}}}}}

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 13 2013, 6:12am

Post #25 of 55 (142 views)
Shortcut
Replying here [In reply to] Can't Post

Just got home and I'm a wee bit knackered!

It all went well, they managed to manipulate it back in line and he's got his full cast on.

We have to go back for a further review next thursday, which means another x-ray to make sure that the break hasn't shifted. If it does then it's back into surgery to have pins etc inserted. It's a radial break, for those in the know. I have to keep him off school till after the next visit to help ensure that it doesn't twist again.

To be honest he's taken the whole thing a lot better than we did. Once he'd had something to eat he was demanding to know why he couldn't go straight home!

I've got a major migraine, so I'm going to take some tablets and lie down for a while.

Cheers All.

Kel xHeartHeart

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.