Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
La Belle Dame Sans Chimichurri

squire
Valinor

Feb 12 2013, 2:35am

Views: 322
Shortcut
La Belle Dame Sans Chimichurri [In reply to] Can't Post

5. Your 'enchanted king' legend immediately brought this to my mind, and since you asked for other examples we could discuss, I offer it for our general consideration:
For six days in June 2009, South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford's whereabouts were unknown and there was media coverage of what was described as his disappearance. Subsequently the Governor reappeared and reported that he had been in Argentina with a woman with whom he was having an extramarital affair. - Wikipedia
The only thing that has not yet emerged is the exact nature of the enchantment that Sra. Maria BelÚn Chapur used on the hapless Chief Executive of the Palmetto State. It is not enough simply to shrug and point out that Argentina is the home of the tango...

6. Although I've always enjoyed the interplay between Quenya and Sindarin in Tolkien's stories, and I do think the level of development evident in the two languages does set Tolkien off from his numerous knock-offs and competitors, I have never taken them very seriously as actual languages that tie into the type of history he wrote. He wrapped himself into hopeless knots trying to write "human-type" mythology for "non-human" (i.e., immortal) peoples, not least with the problem of why and how the languages would undergo the sound-changes, grammatical evolutions, and other philological nitty-gritty, when they were being spoken by the same individuals the whole time. Languages change over dozens of human generations, during which those humans may encounter dozens of other tribes with other languages. The Elvish languages seemingly originate with, are spoken by, and then change significantly for about two or at most three Elven generations, who never meet any other speaking peoples during the time of these significant linguistic divergences. If I remember (it's fuzzy, and I welcome correction), HoME shows Tolkien rewriting the story of Noldorin/Sindarin significantly in the 1930s as he realized the unlikelihood of his original 1910s-1920s scenarios. But the problem remained. (He had similar issues with how you can have traditional rip-roaring royal family feuds featuring an evil step-mother and hateful half-brothers when divorce is unknown and no one ever dies - doh.)

As for your 7., I tend to follow Verlyn Flieger who pointed out that the Grey Elves, as a mix of Dark and Light, contain within themselves the necessary ingredients for drama, which the Dark Elves (all Dark, end of story) and the Light Elves (all Light, end of story) do not.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Subject User Time
Silmarillion Discussion: Of Thingol and Melian, #2 NZ Strider Send a private message to NZ Strider Feb 12 2013, 1:22am
    La Belle Dame Sans Chimichurri squire Send a private message to squire Feb 12 2013, 2:35am
        Perhaps Gov. Sanford demonstrated NZ Strider Send a private message to NZ Strider Feb 12 2013, 7:48am
            Whose enchantment is it anyway? noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Feb 12 2013, 6:00pm
    Is it just a "stock theme" though? FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Feb 13 2013, 4:31pm
    Love and enchantment elevorn Send a private message to elevorn Feb 13 2013, 8:13pm
    Feminine wiles CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Feb 14 2013, 1:52am
    posting previous questions here now elevorn Send a private message to elevorn Feb 14 2013, 5:37pm
        Thingol's resume CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Feb 15 2013, 1:29am
    Late answers sador Send a private message to sador Feb 17 2013, 3:25pm
    a few thoughts on several great comments telain Send a private message to telain Feb 20 2013, 11:51pm
        Hyperlink to next chapter noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Feb 21 2013, 10:21pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.