Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Survey on The Hobbit - tell us what you thought!

CaroMichelle
Bree

Feb 11 2013, 10:59pm

Post #1 of 10 (751 views)
Shortcut
Survey on The Hobbit - tell us what you thought! Can't Post

THE INTERNATIONAL HOBBIT AUDIENCE PROJECT
In this survey we are keen to hear people’s thoughts, responses and feelings about The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey following its international release. We’d like to hear from people with all kinds of views - from those who loved the film as well as those who hated it or were critical of some particular aspects of the film’s production, or had quite mixed feelings. Whatever you thought of The Hobbit, we’d love to hear from you!

You can participate in the survey here: http://flashq.rcc.ryerson.ca/Hobbit/ Feel free to pass this invitation on to friends or family members who may be interested in participating, especially if they have very different views about the film to your own!

Please note that as this survey uses Flash it won’t work on Apple iPads, but may work on other tablet devices. A large-screen laptop or desktop computer is ideal.

About us: We’re a team of academic researchers located at the University of Waikato (Hamilton, New Zealand) and Ryerson University (Toronto, Canada). We are interested in the nature of audience reception, and in understanding why different people often have very different views and understandings of the same film.

What is involved: Completing the survey will take around 30 minutes, and involves a combination of sorting and ranking a selection of statements relating to The Hobbit, as well as a more traditional questionnaire with click responses and a few open ended questions where you can tell us what you really thought of the film, in your own words. If you do decide to complete the survey, or want to learn more about the project before deciding, clicking http://flashq.rcc.ryerson.ca/Hobbit/ will take you to the formal consent agreement, which looks rather ominous but provides important details about the project and your rights as a research participant. The most important things to know are that your participation is entirely voluntary, your answers will remain anonymous, and you can say as much or as little as you wish.

Thank you! Lay hah-non!

Carolyn Michelle (PhD)
Lead researcher, The Hobbit Audience project

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 12 2013, 1:44am

Post #2 of 10 (295 views)
Shortcut
I did it! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was very interesting. Took me a while to get to my PC, since I do 90% of my stuff on the iPad.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

CaroMichelle
Bree

Feb 12 2013, 1:51am

Post #3 of 10 (293 views)
Shortcut
Sincere thanks, Eowyn3! [In reply to] Can't Post

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 2:27am

Post #4 of 10 (261 views)
Shortcut
I took it on Saturday, [In reply to] Can't Post

after seeing The Hobbit for the umpteenth time. It was fun, but it takes a bit of time, so be ready.

The White Wizard
The Shire

Feb 12 2013, 2:41am

Post #5 of 10 (265 views)
Shortcut
Survey done. [In reply to] Can't Post

This was a very intersting survey!

True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 6:51am

Post #6 of 10 (241 views)
Shortcut
yes, my opinion was heard! [In reply to] Can't Post

This appears to be a well thought out, scientific look at audience reactions. Well laid out, easy to work (especially the first part with the cards... you could move them around easily once you had them in generally the place you wanted. Also plenty of opportunities to blog your opinions, and no messy "only 100 words please" directions.

Quite fun. I actually spent about two hours, but then I blurbed a lot of verbiage when I could...

Go outside and play...

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Feb 12 2013, 3:37pm

Post #7 of 10 (172 views)
Shortcut
Done! A very interesting survey [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed it and I hope you'll share any results or analysis with us once you've sifted through all the replies!

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 12 2013, 4:45pm

Post #8 of 10 (157 views)
Shortcut
Me, too [In reply to] Can't Post

The directions suggest that the survey will only take 45 minutes. Not if you are serious in your responses. An hour into it and I was still typing away as my husband came home form work. Had to hurry along after that. If you are going to be thoughtful about answering give yourself plenty of time.

CaroMichelle
Bree

Feb 12 2013, 8:31pm

Post #9 of 10 (167 views)
Shortcut
Thanks everyone for your contributions! [In reply to] Can't Post

We really appreciate all of you taking the time to offer your thoughts on the film, and hope to have a summary of the results available later in the year. We are currently working on a summary from the first phase of the project (conducted prior to the film's release), but as you can probably imagine it does take a lot of time to work through all those open ended responses in particular. But as a researcher I always find those comments so much more interesting than the raw numbers!

Many thanks once again!

Carolyn Michelle
Lead researcher, The Hobbit Audience Project

CaroMichelle
Bree

Feb 27 2013, 4:04am

Post #10 of 10 (164 views)
Shortcut
Survey is still open [In reply to] Can't Post

If you haven't yet participated in this survey, it will remain open until the end of March at least. We are also planning to have a Spanish version online in the next fortnight, followed by parallel surveys in German, French and Dutch, to accommodate at least some of the non-English speaking Hobbit audience. Smile Thanks so much to all of those TORn members who have shared their opinions so far.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.