Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

Feb 11 2013, 3:32pm

Post #1 of 48 (448 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

Tell us about them here!

TV, too - any 'Walking Dead' fans watch the season premiere last night?

"The Hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host', said Frodo, 'It was said to me by Elrond Half-Elven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I have found no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good."

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 11 2013, 3:40pm

Post #2 of 48 (247 views)
Shortcut
Sherlock Holmes - BBC Series [In reply to] Can't Post

I had picked up Season 2 of BBC's Sherlock Holmes on a whim. (Because Martin Freeman is in it, and I liked him in AUJ. Also, I was at the store to buy a couple of movies for the kids and they were offering a buy-2-get-1-free promotion.)

So I watched the last two episodes of that yesterday night. Excellent show! I really enjoy Freeman's Watson. He may come closer than anyone else I have seen to my personal conception of the character (I am a long-time fan of Doyle's stories). I will need to go back to the store and find Season 1 also.

These particular episodes also made me feel even better about the next two Hobbit movies....

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 11 2013, 4:16pm

Post #3 of 48 (224 views)
Shortcut
Lost Valentine [In reply to] Can't Post

with Betty White on the Hallmark station.

We were really moved by this one. It centers on a WW2 widow having her husband MIA over the long years.

I think mournfully how many war wives have faced this situation, some are likely to be alive still.

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 11 2013, 4:33pm

Post #4 of 48 (224 views)
Shortcut
Sheesh [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't go to a true movie theater, so once again, Downton Abbey filled the role nicely, with a two-hour episode.

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 11 2013, 4:36pm

Post #5 of 48 (230 views)
Shortcut
Silver Linings Playbook; Zathura [In reply to] Can't Post

I found "Silver Linings Playbook" to be very uncomfortable to watch for the first half-hour or so, as I was married to someone with undiagnosed bipolar disease (he tended to the depressive rather than the manic side). But then the movie took off and I loved it. Jennifer Lawrence more than impressed me and she deserves all the awards she is getting. Everyone else was terrific too.

I caught "Zathura" on TV. It's more or less the same plotline as "Jumanji," just set in outer space, so I ignored it when it came out before. But I have to say this was a pretty good little movie. Josh Hutcherson ("Peeta" in "The Hunger Games") shows he's got acting chops even as a kid, and surprise surprise, Kristen Stewart can ACT! Has more of a moral to the tale than "Jumanji" too.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

imin
Valinor

Feb 11 2013, 4:45pm

Post #6 of 48 (226 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit and House of Cards [In reply to] Can't Post

A friend of mine who has been out of the country was desperate to see TH but by now it has almost left the cinemas and is on the tiny screens at awkward times, so he downloaded it - bad i know but you will find out it worked out well, lol.

My views on it are much more clear now - the first 70ish mins are good after that i am not bothered.

I ended up reading some of the Silmarillion and Children of Hurin on my laptop (i have the ebooks and i was there as we were meant to be working, lol - i like to now read CoH when i get to the Of Turin Turambar chapter in The Silmarillion - currently i am listening to Christopher Lee read brilliantly chapter 5 - Turin in Doriath. All of which to say is a bit of a tangent but shows to me where the better work lies.

For my friend he liked it and will buy both the TE and EE as he wants to experience the 3D blu rays for his 3D TV. He felt there were parts that could have been better but i think my warnings that it isnt as good as lotr served him well as it lowered his expectations so he was surprised that it wasn't dreadful and finished the film happy.

On another note i have now finished House of Cards - the Netflix version not the 1990 version - sorry to those who got confused last week! I was only 2 years old at the time of the original series and so didnt even know it existed! When i said original i was meaning, it is Netflix original - made by/for them exclusively. Though i can see how this is really confusing and had i known the 1990 version existed, i would have clarified my point of original, lol.

As for the show itself, i think Kevin Spacey is brilliant as are all of the supporting cast - well shot, with brilliant writing as are many top end American shows currently. I really think there is more interesting things on TV than at the movies currently. With more time for characterisation and developing plots.

I can add house of cards to the list of Game of Thrones, Homeland, Breaking Bad of tv shows i cant wait to see the next season of.

Africa
Has this aired in any other countries yet? I think Starling said they didn't like Frozen Planet much due to the music being over used and too bombastic? I wonder what you think of this series?

imin
Valinor

Feb 11 2013, 4:50pm

Post #7 of 48 (232 views)
Shortcut
Love Sherlock [In reply to] Can't Post

Both Martin Freeman and Cumberbatch are fantastic. I like the take the show has on the stories and it just feels like a well made quality show. Just thought i would say this before the multitude of Downton Abbey posts arrive Tongue

Does anyone know when the 3rd series will be released? Think i need to add this show to the list i just posted Crazy

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 11 2013, 5:04pm

Post #8 of 48 (214 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit HFR 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

Had a chance to watch it again and couldn't pass; don't know if HFR will be around much longer. Also watched the first episode of Sherlock on tv. I'm becoming a very big fan of Martin Freeman. I have also been watching X Files on netflix with my teenage kids. They are all into it, so that's a lot of fun. I had planned to watch FOTR EE this weekend, but didn't have enough time. I'll try again next week.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 11 2013, 5:22pm

Post #9 of 48 (217 views)
Shortcut
Kevin Spacey [In reply to] Can't Post

I first saw Kevin Spacey on a tv show called Wiseguy.

This show was one of the first to use a story arc. Before that, pretty much all shows were episodic. These story arcs had really interesting characters and really interesting actors playing them.

One of my favorite was "Dead Dog Records" with Tim Curry, Patti D'Arbanville, Glenn Frey, Deborah Harry and Paul Winfield

Another arc had Maximillian Schell and Billy Dee Williams. Another had Jerry Lewis, Ron Silver, and Stanley Tucci.

Kevin Spacey played a "mentally unstable, multi-billionaire, drug-addicted, international criminal mastermind and arms dealer." It was an intense character and Spacey stood out in it... like so many other actors had in other episodes.

I think Wiseguy has recently become available on Amazon Prime streaming and I think it's definitely worth watching, especially if you'd like a little more Spacey.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Feb 11 2013, 5:23pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 11 2013, 5:32pm

Post #10 of 48 (201 views)
Shortcut
Wiseguy [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember that series, it was excelent. And I'd completely forgotten Kevin Spacey was in it.

imin
Valinor

Feb 11 2013, 5:36pm

Post #11 of 48 (207 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for letting me know about it [In reply to] Can't Post

''mentally unstable, multi-billionaire, drug-addicted, international criminal mastermind and arms dealer'' - Sounds like something i will enjoy - definitely going to check it out Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 11 2013, 5:37pm

Post #12 of 48 (209 views)
Shortcut
Much as l like Kevin Spacey [In reply to] Can't Post

House of Cards means the original version to me. It's like the American version of The Office, I just have no desire to see it.

You have a good memory! Africa is currently screening here, and I am loving it. I am not finding the music nearly as annoying as the music in Frozen Planet. As always, the crew have gone the extra mile to bring us some incredible 'firsts', such as the secret night life of rhinos, and the extended giraffe fight scene, which was absolutely stunning. Episode 4 screens tonight, and I can't wait. Smile

Kassandros
Rohan

Feb 11 2013, 7:40pm

Post #13 of 48 (206 views)
Shortcut
Arrietty and Babylon 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Watched The Secret World of Arietty again, one of my favorite animated movies. It's funny that AUJ and Arrietty were my two favorite films of 2012 as they are almost polar opposites. It's quite possible that AUJ has more dialog in Bag End than Arrietty has in its full length. One is short and leisurely, almost like watching a painting. The movie breathes. The other is a mile-a-minute for almost twice as many minutes. There is surely a lot more to take in with AUJ, but Arrietty's beauty and simplicity are hard to beat. I find AUJ a lot more intellectual while Arrietty is a lot more emotional.

Also watched the Babylon 5 episodes that covered Stephen Franklin's walkabout and am trying not to get sucked in and watch the entire series a third time. A science-fiction show that was way ahead of its time and enjoyable even by people who don't like science fiction shows. Absolutely top-notch continuity and great characters and actors.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 11 2013, 8:34pm

Post #14 of 48 (184 views)
Shortcut
Star Wars: Attack of the Clones [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a while since I've seen this one since I generally rank it as my least favorite. But I think with that mindset, I was able to watch it with with fresher eyes. I still think it would have benefitted from an experienced film editor, but it's not nearly so bad as I had remembered.

Looking forward to watching Episode 3 tonight Smile

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 11 2013, 8:36pm

Post #15 of 48 (186 views)
Shortcut
I've heard great things about Downton [In reply to] Can't Post

and also heard that one episode a couple weeks ago was pretty intense...

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 11 2013, 8:46pm

Post #16 of 48 (187 views)
Shortcut
Warm Bodies [In reply to] Can't Post

And it was pretty good. Completely missed the Romeo and Juliet not -so -sub subtext. Loved the redemption theme of the film.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 11 2013, 9:17pm

Post #17 of 48 (220 views)
Shortcut
No one's posted about Downton Abbey yet? [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, I can get the ball rolling with how delighted and relieved we are to finally have Bates out of prison. Of course the minute he gets back he plunges into the household conspiracies. I do understand why he'd come to Thomas's aid, but I must have missed something way back when---I didn't know that anyone except O'Brien herself knew about the moment with the soap.

I predict great tensions downstairs with James, Alfred, and Thomas still spitting at each other behind Carson's back. The sub-plot with the girl Rose was a bit of an eye-roller for me---it seemed tacked on. And I really did roll my eyes at Edith's newspaper guy's secret. Talk about a soap opera staple! But oh my, wasn't the Dowager in fine form, scheming and manipulating amidst the one-liners? Fortunately she was able to move Ethel on AND help her at the same time.

I'm delighted to see Robert finally bowing to the inevitable (they were right, the cricket match helped) and Tom settling into a role upstairs. But oh my, the brother! Blink and you missed him.

So next week they go to Inverary Castle. It may not be called that in the show, but I recognized the place. Lovely area, and the castle itself is fascinating, even if it is the seat of the Duke of Argyll, head of Clan Campbell. (Imagine Clan Campbell as the Hatfields and my own clan as the McCoys. Smile )

As an aside, has anyone noticed the similarity of names among the characters, something that is usually discouraged in Writing 101. Cora, Carson, Clarkson, Crawley. Rosamund (or is it Rosalind?) and the girl Rose. Edith and Ethel. Thomas and Tom. Bates and Barrow.

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 11 2013, 11:28pm

Post #18 of 48 (166 views)
Shortcut
My friends and I used to have "Wiseguy" viewing parties! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved that show! It went off the rails when Ken Wahl left, but I had never seen a show that followed a whole storyline for a season before.

There was some great TV back then: St. Elsewhere, Moonlighting, Remington Steele, L.A. Law. Of course, I was really watching them from my crib...

batik
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 12:29am

Post #19 of 48 (172 views)
Shortcut
yep--caught the mid-season premiere of... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Walking Dead. It seems the year or so of living a high stress "life" has taken a psychological toll on at least one of the primary characters. :(
TWD can sometimes be high zombie drama. This ep fell into that, for me. Of course, the major gross out scene was well done.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12 2013, 1:57am

Post #20 of 48 (159 views)
Shortcut
Having just finished the original House of Cards... [In reply to] Can't Post

I cannot imagine anyone matching up to Ian Richardson's performance. It was truly remarkable. But at some point I may give the new series a try out of curiosity and see what they've done to "Americanize" it.

Silverlode

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 2:40am

Post #21 of 48 (155 views)
Shortcut
Sherlock as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Gave it a first look after hearing so much about it here on the boards; though I only get Saturday having to work Sunday. Watched "The Blind Banker" and really enjoyed it.
TWD tomorrow, or no sleep for me.

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 12 2013, 2:42am

Post #22 of 48 (162 views)
Shortcut
My daughter and I went to see Warm Bodies (no spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

It was weird to see a movie that was so short after enjoying The Hobbit's nearly 3 hours ;)

BUT with the previews shown at TH, Warm Bodies was one of those that I really wanted to see... and I wasn't disappointed. My daughter enjoyed it, too. While I didn't like some of the "dinner" moments, the rest of the film was very well done. When it was over, we both sighed and said, "That was really good!" The audience we were with (full house) applauded! There were laughs, cringes, and sighs throughout.

The heroine was especially good, imho. I can't wait for the dvd to be released :D

Oh... and enjoyed #29 Hobbit ;)

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12 2013, 4:16am

Post #23 of 48 (144 views)
Shortcut
Yes, me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

We recently rewatched the original, and I was hugely impressed all over again by the power of the performances. When FU looked through the screen at me I wanted to hide behind the sofa!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Patty
Immortal

Feb 12 2013, 5:32am

Post #24 of 48 (181 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I watched it too of course… [In reply to] Can't Post

My sister had already said she didn't believe O'Brian would have told Thomas about the soap. So she just could not accept that part. Even though they had been thick as thieves at that time, O'Brian knew then that Thomas was unreliable so she wouldn't have expected him to keep that valuable secret.

Of course Rose was brought on to the series to replace Sybil as the resident feisty young girl. (Yawn),

Yes, Bates is back. What am I going to do with my "Free Mr. Bates "
T-shirt?

I hadn't noticed the name similarity before. And of course, Rosamund is Rose. Rose of the world. That many of the others are similar too. Nice catch!

Can't wait to hear America's reaction to the Christmas special next week. That's if there is anyone here who doesn't already know...

Permanent address: Into the West

(This post was edited by Patty on Feb 12 2013, 5:33am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 6:55am

Post #25 of 48 (147 views)
Shortcut
About Thomas knowing (spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

about the soap: it is conceivable that it was a shrewd guess on his part. He knew O'Brien was mad as an ol' wet hen thinking that she was going to be replaced, and then there was a freak accident with some misplaced soap. He's capable of putting two and two together. Whether or not it's believable, I loved it. It was so satisfying to see that smug look wiped off her face. Evil

I just hope we see Thomas evolving as a character and not reverting to his devious ways. I think the point of him being a meany was that he's been treated badly for so long, he'd developed a hard shell through which we could see the occasional glimpse of humanity. Now that he sees people standing up for him, hopefully he will let the hard shell soften a bit. But I'm not holding my breath. Tongue

I liked seeing Tom, Matthew, and Robert finally coming together even if it was a little forced. But I think the point was well intended: what is sometimes needed is the combination of old-fashioned know-how, modern business knowledge, and respect for tradition in the form of not forcing too much change on the older tenants and providing jobs. Robert is often accused of being a stuffy snob who only cares about the status quo, but I think a lot of people overlook that he intends to look after the the people of the village. He doesn't want to demand more farm output, rent, or fire workers just to keep Downton out of debt. He's following the concept of noblesse oblige, the nobles' obligation to his "inferiors". He's just been going about it the wrong way by not acknowledging changing times. (and yes, he could downsize, spend less on dinner parties and clothes, etc., but that ain't gonna happen Tongue)

I agree about Rose (massive eye roll). Maybe they just wanted to show a jazz club and some flappers, but couldn't think of any other excuse. Laugh

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.