Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: “Where is she... the woman who gave you that jewel?”

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Feb 11 2013, 11:20am

Post #1 of 9 (729 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: “Where is she... the woman who gave you that jewel?” Can't Post

Mae Govannen, my friends.

This scene is when Aragorn recalls when he is in Rivendell with Arwen.

You can find the full-sized image here.
As always, feel free to answer any or all the questions.

1. What were your first thoughts on this scene?

2. Of the two characters here, which one are you more focused on in this picture and why?

”My path is hidden from me.”
~Aragorn

Do you think Aragorn’s pose reflects what he says here?

4. I love the lighting in this scene. I always liked the way it felt like a dream as well as it being a memory.
What do you think about the lighting in this scene?

5. The music is beautiful in this scene. It is a lovely version of the Evenstar theme. I love the way it reflects Aragorn’s thoughts and echoes Arwen’s encouragement to believe in himself.
What are your thoughts on the music in the background?

......"Since the first time I met you,
..I couldn't seem to forget you.
.......And lately I seem to find,
..That you're always on my mind.
.......Whenever I see you smile,
..It makes my life so very worthwhile.
......And ever since the very start,
..You have always been there in my heart.
..Then I heard that you felt the same way,
....................................................................And those words were so easy to say."

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 11 2013, 4:44pm

Post #2 of 9 (408 views)
Shortcut
This is one of the scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

That was done so beautifully.

I loved this kind of reverie stuff for Aragorna nd Arwen. I many movies it doesn't work, but it was such a contract to the realism of other scenes that the dreamlike state works really well here, and h
elps draw the viewer into quieter moments. You can't have all action, and these were very welcome breaks. It was a real advantage to LOTR's trilogy to have this romance put into it, even if people didn't like Liv or whatever weird bias they had against it. I thought it worked really well.

2. Of the two characters here, which one are you more focused on in this picture and why?

I don't really focus on either, I see them as a twain of minds. This is what you can get to when you know one another a long time, and see the maturity of the romance.

~Aragorn

This scene, like the one from FOTR with Galadriel at the Farewell to Lorien, really deepens your understanding of Aragorn. He's really making up his mind here...

4. I love the lighting in this scene. I always liked the way it felt like a dream as well as it being a memory.

As you say, it's about as effective as you can get with semi-erotic dream scenes. He even touches her ears, which is what Viggo said was a sort of 'thing' they developed during the filming.

5. The music is beautiful in this scene. It is a lovely version of the Evenstar theme. I love the way it reflects Aragorn’s thoughts and echoes Arwen’s encouragement to believe in himself.

Perfect mood music. When you come back to the journey to Helms' Deep, there's a nice bridge of sadness. Reality takes over again.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 11 2013, 9:02pm

Post #3 of 9 (378 views)
Shortcut
I love this scene. [In reply to] Can't Post

1). One of the most very beautiful in the entire trilogy. It's very intimate without being sexual. It's done perfectly.

2). Well, personally I'm staring at Liv because she's gorgeous! But I think we're meant to be looking at Aragorn. Even Arwen is looking at Aragorn, so once we look at her we're immediately pointed to Aragorn. The scene is about his choice and his decision. Arwen is just the support right now.

3). He's staring off into space. It's obvious he's thinking about something, so I'd say yes. He's clearly trying to discover his path.

4). Beautiful lighting: dreary and overcast. I think part of the reason it feels both like a dream and a memory is that both are relegated to the mind. They're actually very similar.

5). My favorite piece of music from the entire trilogy.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

zarabia
Grey Havens

Feb 13 2013, 7:58am

Post #4 of 9 (329 views)
Shortcut
Lovely shot [In reply to] Can't Post

I admit that when I first saw this in the movie I was slightly confused; I thought it was him daydreaming of being with her. It wasn't until they started talking that I realized it was a memory.

Of course my eyes always go to Viggo Wink, but I actually think that Arwen is (literally) the focus here while Aragorn seems ever so slightly out of focus. I think PJ is showing us the importance of Arwen, not merely as a love interest, but as a confidant and advisor. Aragorn draws confidence and comfort from her; he is thinking of her here, not just because he misses her romantically, but because he misses her wisdom and guidance.

~Aragorn

Yes.

I like the muted palette here.

I agree with you. Beautiful and ethereal.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

willowing
Lorien

Feb 13 2013, 7:59am

Post #5 of 9 (365 views)
Shortcut
SCOD-Eowyn and Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

The aloneness of the two in their setting it made for a very intimate and private affair. I thought to myself when I first watched this scene 'oh no where is this leading to' but it was like peeking in on someone's private moment. I would say also the lighting did enhance the magic of the scene almost like an awakening, a bringing out of the shadows their love and commitment to each other.

Just how intense Aragorn's eye are, did Arwen say something to spook him? the great job that the makeup artist did with Arwen's ear.

"My path is hidden from me"

Oh yes! no sooner had the last word left his lips, he leaned his forehead gently down onto Arwen,s,

I think the lighting effect was used wonderfully to reflect the time and length of their togetherness in that setting for the short time that Aragorn had in Rivendell.

In a setting like this the music captured their emotions and moods perfectly..

(This post was edited by willowing on Feb 13 2013, 8:00am)

jf300
The Shire

Feb 16 2013, 10:48am

Post #6 of 9 (390 views)
Shortcut
Amazing Scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't remember how I felt when I first saw it, I was more focussed on the epic action scenes (I was only 11/12). Now that I watch the films more, this has emerged as probably my favourite scene in the entire trilogy. I joined the forum purely to post in this thread!

2. Of the two characters, which are you more focussed on?

Arwen, purely because of Liv's beauty and the make-up and costume team's amazing work.

3. Does Aragorn's pose reflect what he says?

I took his pose as more of a desperation, leaning on Arwen as if he is desperate for a solution and is tired of fighting.

4. What do you think about the lighting in this scene?

It's incredible but subtle. It makes both actors seem so pure and ethereal.

5. What are your thoughts on the music in this scene?

This is probably the reason why it's my favourite scene of the trilogy. The music is so relaxed and sets such a calm and serene atmosphere. This song is actually my ringtone for my alarm clock!

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Feb 16 2013, 9:25pm

Post #7 of 9 (305 views)
Shortcut
Your words make me smile. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mae Govannen to the forums, by the way. Wink

......"Since the first time I met you,
..I couldn't seem to forget you.
.......And lately I seem to find,
..That you're always on my mind.
.......Whenever I see you smile,
..It makes my life so very worthwhile.
......And ever since the very start,
..You have always been there in my heart.
..Then I heard that you felt the same way,
....................................................................And those words were so easy to say."

Rostron2
Gondor

Mar 1 2013, 8:48pm

Post #8 of 9 (254 views)
Shortcut
Chemistry [In reply to] Can't Post

Viggo and Liv had good chemistry; Viggo and Miranda had good chemistry. You really see all sides of the picture through these sequences. Viggo Mortensen has the ability to say a lot without saying much. It's a real screen idol quality that few male actors really have.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2013, 2:41am

Post #9 of 9 (336 views)
Shortcut
The casting in the trilogy was uniformly brilliant, [In reply to] Can't Post

but i especially loved Liv Tyler as Arwen. She brought such an ethereal quality, and a sadness, to the role, without letting it drag her performance down. And i thought the writers handled the "love" story very skillfully, without hitting us over the head with it. And she and Viggo had good chemistry. All their scenes together gave us a bit of a breather amidst all the action, and kept it grounded in real human (and elf) emotion. These scenes were not my favorites when i first saw the films, but i've really grown to appreciate them.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.