Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Has it really been eleven years?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 9:13am

Post #26 of 61 (119 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Ataahua. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not just their smiles that are cheeky!

Cheeky: Little NZ Toddler has just been given her own chair at the table and was for the first time allowed to feed herself tonight. She spent all of dinner picking the meat out of her greens, eating the meat, and dumping the greens carefully on the floor. I had to laugh: just like a dwarf!

It's good to be back, as it were. I've missed having a movie to geek out about. What will we have in another 11 years? The Sil?

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 9:18am

Post #27 of 61 (118 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Silverlode. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no idea what a "message board community" was 11 years ago! So glad I stumbled into this one.

Glad you liked the mathoms. And thanks for the nice words. Smile

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 9:21am

Post #28 of 61 (118 views)
Shortcut
Umpty-million years! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it really was eye-opening to find that there were other people out there who loved Tolkien's world as much as I did. I named my first cockatiel "Pippin", just before I started high school, and not a single one of my friends then, or through college, ever knew or cared where that name came from.

Thanks for the nice words, dear friend. Smile

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 9:26am

Post #29 of 61 (122 views)
Shortcut
Rascals -- that sums it up. [In reply to] Can't Post

Little Eldarion, he of the picky eating, who turns his nose up at most everything, said in the car today after a 45-minute drive: "Mommy! I just finished my Jello!"

Me: "What Jello??"

Him: "The one from the zoo! I saved it!"

Me: "What?!? You mean that Jello we bought you two weeks ago!? It's been sitting half-eaten in the car for two hot summer weeks, and you just ATE it?!???"

Him: "Yes!!!"

So far, his rascally self doesn't seem to have come down with food poisoning, but he certainly deserves it after that. The teaspoon remnant I found in the cup afterwards was brown and pure liquid. EWWWWWWWW.

Thanks, silneldor, for the nice thoughts. :-)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 9:31am

Post #30 of 61 (114 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Arandiel! [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone here (or at least those who have been here at least 8 years or so) has shared in my story, so it's not just mine alone; I've been honoured to have such excellent and admirable TORnsibs to share all the adventures with. What a special place!

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 10 2013, 9:41am

Post #31 of 61 (117 views)
Shortcut
Wow, 11 years! [In reply to] Can't Post

What an amazing 11 years, and just look at those three gorgeous smiles! Congratulations on your TORniversary, and your lovely family.

By the way, I'm glad to hear you managed to see The Hobbit on that big screen before it finished, although I believe you have single-handedly saved the Reading Cinema from bankruptcy. I should think you will be receiving your community service award shortly. Laugh

And it sounds like the crackers you are after are Salada - the big ones you can break into four.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 10:08am

Post #32 of 61 (120 views)
Shortcut
Salada! [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew it had something to do with salad. I actually haven't tried those, but the picture looks like saltines from the US. I know, never judge a cracker by its box, but at least they have the right look.

I counted 29 people in the theater with me at my penultimate viewing (not on the XTreme Screen), and didn't count but there looked to be about as many at my last one. So it's not just me saving Reading Cinemas! Heck, if the movie manages to stick around another week, I'll probably manage to get there one more time (you're working though, aren't you?), eye rolls by my mum notwithstanding.

And thanks for the nice words, Starling. Smile

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 10 2013, 1:12pm

Post #33 of 61 (107 views)
Shortcut
I still chuckle over the pink and white [In reply to] Can't Post

marshmallows. When I was in Auckland, just before I went home, I bought a couple home-and-garden Christmas magazines. One of the recipes called for marshmallows, and there they were in their pink-and-white glory. I can't remember what the recipe was making, but it was something that needed marshmallows, but the pink ones really looked odd.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 10 2013, 3:44pm

Post #34 of 61 (107 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, gosh, now I know what the inside of your car looks like, it's just like our van when my kids were that age! Laugh (I was always a bit squeamish when it came to cleaning it out, never knew what would be lurking there...)

And it's amazing what strong stomachs kids have...Tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 10 2013, 4:05pm

Post #35 of 61 (103 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations, Roheryn! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am honored to be in such Noble company! Your threads and posts are wonderful to read--and your family is adorable! Best Wishes for another 11 years Heart

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 10 2013, 4:27pm

Post #36 of 61 (105 views)
Shortcut
Many happy returns of your TORniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe we should all put together a book entitled "Everything I Needed to Know I Learned on TORn"! Laugh Or as a certain hobbit would put it: this place is an eye-opener, and no mistake. Cool

NZ toddler has the same eyes and smile as her brothers, you are in such trouble! Laugh Amazing how such a little thing as clicking that "reply" button for the first time, can change your life!

Hopefully entmaiden won't mind, I've found the pic from your wedding amongst her photos: http://s118.beta.photobucket.com/...html?sort=3&o=0"

Do you remember when you'd post Middle-earth Logic Puzzles? Here's one in honor of the kids: http://www.theonering.net/...169735C000D04C4.html

And another "Do you remember...": Altaira's Sunday evening "Bilbo's Brainteasers"! I subbed for her that weekend you were married, and created a puzzle that turned out to be rather on the difficult side Blush, but here's a link to it: http://archives.theonering.net/...1BD04D0000D6E49.html

And a link to Inferno's answers - in limerick form, in your honor! http://archives.theonering.net/...1BD3EEE000D6E79.html

What I learned from TORn: Life may not be all fun and games, but they're a big part of it! Smile

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 10 2013, 4:44pm

Post #37 of 61 (97 views)
Shortcut
Hahaha:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like my son as well when younger, very picky. He liked 'fruit by the foot' but didn't eat a hamburger til he his teens, but would eat raw broccoli and olivesLaugh. Go figure lol. There were many more sticky places around the house and in pockets then.

New horizons....WHAT does old jello taste like? Maybe the same influence as leftovers, getting betterTongue.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 10 2013, 5:38pm

Post #38 of 61 (102 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary, Ro! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard to believe it's been 11 years, and even harder to believe everything that's happened in that amount of time! Lots of changes and lots of blessings, especially for you. Smile

Here's to 11 more!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 10 2013, 5:41pm

Post #39 of 61 (113 views)
Shortcut
Lol, Sir Dennis, that's priceless! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well done, Sir. I'm bucking those odds, but otherwise I think they may have something there. WinkLaugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 10 2013, 6:28pm

Post #40 of 61 (102 views)
Shortcut
When my daughter was little [In reply to] Can't Post

my friend got in my car & looked at all the toys, trash & food & said "Oh, look, it's a fun mobile!"

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 10 2013, 7:02pm

Post #41 of 61 (110 views)
Shortcut
I disagree with my esteemed colleague.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not pregnant!

Do i look pregnant to you?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 10 2013, 8:06pm

Post #42 of 61 (89 views)
Shortcut
Fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like your friend had kids that age, too! Laugh

Cars are like second bedrooms to little kids...

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 8:18pm

Post #43 of 61 (90 views)
Shortcut
Wow, dernwyn, memory trip! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for those links -- it's been years since I've seen those wedding weekend pictures! I love the group one; what a fantastic bunch of TORnsibs. So special to have so many of us there! And I love the one of Auxerre, huorn, and Scout -- look at those huge grins!

Bilbo's Brainteasers were always fun! Nice of you to sub that weekend, and I LOVE Inferno's answers. Pretty sure I missed those then!

Oddly enough, late last night I was just thinking it's been a long time since I've done any logic puzzles and actually started looking for one to do. Didn't get very far, but I may try to do one soon, and keep them up sporadically.

I like the book idea. You volunteering? Wink

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 8:45pm

Post #44 of 61 (98 views)
Shortcut
Cleaning out the car [In reply to] Can't Post

results in a right archaeological excavation. It's *amazing* what turns up in there sometimes.

Little Eldarion hasn't come down with food poisoning and was off to school this morning. That jello splash made me want to vomit just looking at it, and he'd drunk half the cup of it!

I never used to understand why the cars of people with young kids were always such a mess. I sure understand now!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 11 2013, 12:39am

Post #45 of 61 (86 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle hug* Wow Ro!! WOW! [In reply to] Can't Post

You Are A Rock Star and A Fresh Breeze!! What TORn has given us is impossible to comprehend! I can't get my head around it, most times... but you're always there in the mix when I think of why I love this place. You and so many others. I've had adventures and been inspired to do things that I know I never would have experienced if it weren't for friends like you :D *massive smile* Only thing that has changed is that ol' lady standing next to you has aged just a weeeeee bit ;)

Thank you so much for your kinds words.. and for the pic of your treasures! I still have one up at work of a little princeling in a stripped outfit in a kid-carrier out with Mom & Dad :)

Happy TORniversary, m'dear... and here's to the next 11 years!

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 11 2013, 1:54am

Post #46 of 61 (74 views)
Shortcut
Those puzzles were fun [In reply to] Can't Post

and I even gave hubby a couple to do with his classes (yeah, he teaches math). Come to think of it, your boys are about at an age to start doing logic puzzles - you could make ones for them, then see if we're "logical" enough to figure them out! Laugh

Book...hmm...maybe "All I Ever Needed to Know I Learned on TORn" should be a page in the TORn Mathom-house...I need to look and see if there's something like that already in there...

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 11 2013, 4:28am

Post #47 of 61 (79 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's safe to say that you take the prize for the greatest number of TORn-related life changes. :)

What an amazing 11 years it's been. And what beautiful children you have!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 11 2013, 12:57pm

Post #48 of 61 (70 views)
Shortcut
A clean [In reply to] Can't Post

car is a sign of a sick mind. I saw that on a bumper sticker once. Yesterday I took my car in for a wash & Vaccuum & later that day I wanted to take my dog to the park & I almost didn't go just to keep my car clean another day. Then I remembered that saying & went to the park & had a very nice time.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Feb 11 2013, 2:49pm

Post #49 of 61 (62 views)
Shortcut
Happy Torniversary!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 11 2013, 3:11pm

Post #50 of 61 (77 views)
Shortcut
Woo Hoo! Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's to eleven more! At least!
Your list is great. I agree with every one.

You're kids look just like you. Smile

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.