Did anyone else notice this?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 9 2013, 6:30pm

Post #1 of 35 (5568 views)
Shortcut
Did anyone else notice this? Can't Post

Martin Freeman in real life is left handed. Yet in The Hobbit he does everything right handed (such as use the sword etc. Although he did pick up the ring with his left hand). Do you think this is because Ian Holm is right handed and was seen writing etc. right handed and done for consistency? If so I wonder how conscious of it Freeman and the directors had to be during the filming.

sycorax82
Rohan

Feb 9 2013, 6:57pm

Post #2 of 35 (4587 views)
Shortcut
I think this has been mentioned by Martin himself [In reply to] Can't Post

I seem to remember him saying that he was determined to learn to use his sword right-handed, no matter what.

deskp
Lorien

Feb 9 2013, 7:22pm

Post #3 of 35 (4343 views)
Shortcut
oh [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I'm sure it helps him look more "awkward" when wielding a sword

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 9 2013, 7:24pm

Post #4 of 35 (4339 views)
Shortcut
sounds less sinister to me // [In reply to] Can't Post

;-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Feb 9 2013, 7:25pm)

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 9 2013, 7:58pm

Post #5 of 35 (4339 views)
Shortcut
This was true of Bernard Hill, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

He is left handed, but he was determined to use his right hand at the Battle of Pelennor Fields when he clashed swords with the troops as they went into battle (because of the direction he was coming from on his horse). Apparently it was actually pretty hard for him to do.

Lauryn
Bree

Feb 9 2013, 8:16pm

Post #6 of 35 (4299 views)
Shortcut
He is a lefty [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen him say anything about specifically learning to use his sword right handed. I just assumed everyone learned right handed because the trainers teaching them were probably right handed. It's the same with actors and guns. Plus is they are training 14 actors how to use swords, it's going to be easier if they are all using the same hand. I defiantly think him not using his dominant hand makes him look a bit more awkward, and that really works well for Bilbo. I would love to see a scene of him actually writing, because that will let me know if he actually is making it a conscious decision. I'm a person who really notices the handness of a person. I have it down to a science lol. I find that he may be consciously trying to do things right-handed, but it's the unconscious things that I notice (He catches things left handed.. opens doors... picks things up... just instinctively uses it). Hoping for a scene of him writing something :D

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Feb 9 2013, 8:38pm

Post #7 of 35 (4276 views)
Shortcut
Subject Headings [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry, I don't read threads with coy, teasing or vague subject headings. Tongue

Oh, but welcome to the forums, of course! Wink

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Feb 9 2013, 8:40pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 9 2013, 9:38pm

Post #8 of 35 (4204 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't realize that about Bernard Hill.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 9 2013, 9:42pm

Post #9 of 35 (4215 views)
Shortcut
I did notice [In reply to] Can't Post

That when he picks up the Ring after Gollum loses it he uses his left hand (in the prologue to FOTR Ian Holm uses his right hand..I wonder if they will ever swap out Freeman for Holm in future Fellowship prints. I guess we'll have to see).

I do like the fact that having to use his non dominant hand makes him more clumsy. I think for consistency sake since we see Ian Holm writing right handed that that is one of the reasons that Freeman also used his right hand (a small thing to be sure but something I did notice).

Also he used the fork left handed at the beginning when he was eating the fish at dinner before Dwalin comes to the door.

I just found it kind of fascinating and was wondering if it was indeed a conscious decision. If so it worked well.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 9 2013, 9:44pm

Post #10 of 35 (4196 views)
Shortcut
Yup! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
;-)

Indeed! :)

Lonely Mountain
The Shire

Feb 9 2013, 9:47pm

Post #11 of 35 (4213 views)
Shortcut
Bernard Hill [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He is left handed, but he was determined to use his right hand at the Battle of Pelennor Fields when he clashed swords with the troops as they went into battle (because of the direction he was coming from on his horse). Apparently it was actually pretty hard for him to do.

In TTT Bernard Hill used his left hand when he drew his sword and banished Grima.

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 9 2013, 10:36pm

Post #12 of 35 (4233 views)
Shortcut
That makes me even more impressed [In reply to] Can't Post

with him, and Bernard Hill also. True dedication!

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 9 2013, 10:39pm

Post #13 of 35 (4181 views)
Shortcut
I think he uses his left hand throughout [In reply to] Can't Post

Except for that scene. If I tried to do that, while on horseback, with my weaker hand, that sword would have gone flying right into some poor horselord's head.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 9 2013, 11:25pm

Post #14 of 35 (4117 views)
Shortcut
quite dexterous, in fact! ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 9 2013, 11:39pm

Post #15 of 35 (4154 views)
Shortcut
So now something makes more sense to me [In reply to] Can't Post

I always have a bit of a cringe during that scene, because his riding is not good. But now that I know that he was having to bash everyone's swords with his non-dominant hand, I think he did a pretty good job!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2013, 12:08am

Post #16 of 35 (4102 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I always have a bit of a cringe during that scene, because his riding is not good. But now that I know that he was having to bash everyone's swords with his non-dominant hand, I think he did a pretty good job!

I never realized that BH was left handed. That makes that scene really pretty amazing that he did that with his non dominant hand. it will be interesting to see what Freeman does as Bilbo throughout the rest of the film as well.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2013, 12:09am

Post #17 of 35 (4101 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm sorry, I don't read threads with coy, teasing or vague subject headings. Tongue

Oh, but welcome to the forums, of course! Wink

why thank you so much Jw!

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 10 2013, 3:12am

Post #18 of 35 (4061 views)
Shortcut
Yup, Bernard Hill, awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

True, he not only had to wield right-handed, but he was very uncomfortable riding a horse, but he was very determined to do the scene we saw.

Martin freeman continues to amaze me, he's so very interesting. I can't say enough good things about him or his portrayal.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 5:42am

Post #19 of 35 (4057 views)
Shortcut
The eating thing is more likely cultural [In reply to] Can't Post

Throughout much of Britain and Europe, many people eat with the fork in the left hand and knife in the right as a matter of course.

And welcome to TORn!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 10 2013, 8:12am

Post #20 of 35 (4011 views)
Shortcut
Never noticed that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice observation. This is one of the reasons I love Peter Jackson's movies - attention to detail.

Þæs ofereode, þisses swa mæg - that has passed, so may this.

mutelock
Bree

Feb 10 2013, 11:11am

Post #21 of 35 (3994 views)
Shortcut
That's interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd never thought about it, but you're probably right. I've a left handed brother who eats like that, even when it'd be easier the other way around.

I'd never noticed Martin was left-handed - nice detail! Didn't Bernard say in the EE audio commentary that he had to train to hit those spears with his sword?

marillaraina
Rohan

Feb 10 2013, 11:47am

Post #22 of 35 (3975 views)
Shortcut
Why? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'd never thought about it, but you're probably right. I've a left handed brother who eats like that, even when it'd be easier the other way around.

I'd never noticed Martin was left-handed - nice detail! Didn't Bernard say in the EE audio commentary that he had to train to hit those spears with his sword?

Why would it be easier to eat the other way around? I'm left handed, I eat with my fork in my left hand and my knife in my right. It's perfectly easy to do and none of that time-wasting, pointless switching of hands after the food is cut. LOL

Do right handed people have trouble cutting with their left hand that they need to cut, put down their knife and then switch their fork over to the hand their knife was holding? :D

mutelock
Bree

Feb 10 2013, 11:54am

Post #23 of 35 (3969 views)
Shortcut
I do! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't know about other right-handed people, but I certainly can't cut a thing with my left hand. I can't even shake a test tube! I do open jars though Tongue

marillaraina
Rohan

Feb 10 2013, 12:56pm

Post #24 of 35 (3958 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Don't know about other right-handed people, but I certainly can't cut a thing with my left hand. I can't even shake a test tube! I do open jars though Tongue

Well maybe most left-handed people are just more versatile. :) I definitely don't have to switch hands between knife and fork to eat. LOL I mean can you cut with the right and eat with the left then? Do you really need to switch hands to eat?

I peel potatoes and fruit with my left hand though. :) I have enough trouble with that, I'd hate to think what kind of bloodshed I'd cause myself trying to do it with my right hand. LOL

In any case, bravo to Martin and Bernard and their non-dominant hand talents! :)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 10 2013, 1:07pm

Post #25 of 35 (3977 views)
Shortcut
I think us lefties [In reply to] Can't Post

have to be a little ambidextrous in a right-handed world. Even drinking fountains are right-hand oriented.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.