Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Lothlorien in a Theme Park. Thoughts?

Sunflower
Valinor

Feb 9 2013, 6:18pm

Views: 558
Shortcut
Lothlorien in a Theme Park. Thoughts? Can't Post

Well, I'm scanning the board and so far no-one has commented on the Theme park issue. I won'twrite any essays, but throw out some thoughts that might ignite some debate.

1) Middle-Earth was born from the ashes of World War 1, and from Tolkien observing that "the countryside I grew up in was being being shabbily destroyed by the time I was ten."
Unless suburbs or other buildings in Florida and California are being torn down in order for a ME theme park to take its place, a forest or two, or some peice of currently unused or uninhabited land, will have to be bulldozed in order for make room for the cotton-candy muching hordes.Universal and WB will want only the very best. I'm sure The Professor would appreciate the irony of that.
That's a tall order, WB: the sights, maybe, but the scenery? You'd have to move a lotta earth. Surely you folks can't be serious about the scenery...(sarc)

2)My opinion is that WB and Uni will be very big on the park having places like the Shire, Rivendell, Lorien and Minas Tirith for the park, and maybe the Dwarrowdelf for exotic flavor. Moria would be a dull place without the Balrog though. I'd imagine they'd not be so keen on places like Mordor, or the Dead Marshes (unless they can build a really KEWL replica of Mount Doom so that people can say, "wow! Awesome volcano effect!" I'd imgine that, unlike tourists to Mt Ruhapehu, people won't be thinking much of Frodo and Sam carrying each other, so to speak. I wonder if the Mouth of Sauron would make an appearance.

3)In fact,there is probably not much THINKING being done about what any of these places or characters mean, as people eat their snacks, text on their smartphones and jostle for places in line. In fact, unlike people reading the books or watching the films, given the articifial setting and instant gratification of people's needs, not much thinking done at all. ME as a completely artifical setting. Again, Tolkien would really appreciate that.
In fact, within a generation, how much would Tolkien's life matter at all ? Probably as much as the life of Lewis Carroll matters to people who watch Disney's Alice In Wonderland. Wait--Alice isn't a Disney character? Luke Skywalker isn't a Disney character? Same difference, and in the end, who cares, really. Honey, where did we park the car?

4)Aragorn, Elrond, Galadriel, and Saruman as smiling costumed characters walking around. And Gimli looks really cute. In fact, so do all the Dwarves! Maybe Thorin can practice his tragic look again!

5)Is THIS the real reason why owners of establishments in NZ are forbidden use the word "Hobbit' promiting their NZ Middle-earth filming sites? And why Saul Zeantz righteously tries to bar TH from same? I'm sure the Kiwis are happy at this prospect. In WB eyes, NZ never WAS ME.

6)IMO--as usual the Americans are jealous as heck that they can't produce any great franchise (ie visionary artist or author since 1977 ) so they have to muscle in on the action. I didn't know Universal had Tolkien rights. Let the rest of the world produce great things, but in the end, the foci of popular appreciation has to be located in America. OF COURSE the theme park will be in the US! What the heck else is the point? We can't have everyone flying off to NZ and spending all OUR Profits! What are the Kiwis anyway? "Mexicans will cell phones" as one crew member on the set of "THe last Samurai" was famously overheard observing. How DARE they call their city "Wellywood"? Who do they think they are?
(****NOTE: this is not the wrter's opinion of course--this is myself imagining a high-ranking WB official talking. Only half sarcastic here. So yes, let's throw them their little sop with ads promoting NZ on the DVD, but once people get there, they'll have a whale of a time finding the ME touristy spots. Thanks to us , of course. In the end, people with dollars--and euros and anything else-- will want to stay closer to home, the global economy being what it is....(sarc)

7) In the end, is ME supposed to be a FUN place? Is it meant to be a FUN place? Think on that if you will. There's room for FUN in the worlds of Star Wars and Harry Potter, but in ME? FUN means something else in this context. In any theme park, we are nothing but consumers.

8) Given the reaction of Wb to the Kiwi govt possibly releasing documents--ask yourself if they really WANTED to switch production to their convenent location they own, Pinewood studios, England, the Harry Potter site. At the time, I was one of the few who thought the danger was real.

9) If ME becomes an actual PLACE, owned by 2 big studios (WB and Universal) they'll get to thinking THEY permantently own Tolkien, , not the Tolkien Estate. If you thought the TE was bad....

10) PS. for newbies who don't know, I'm an American, of course.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Feb 9 2013, 6:24pm)

Subject User Time
Lothlorien in a Theme Park. Thoughts? Sunflower Send a private message to Sunflower Feb 9 2013, 6:18pm
    Why do you hate America? totoro Send a private message to totoro Feb 9 2013, 7:12pm
    theme park CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Feb 9 2013, 7:53pm
    I don't believe Disney or Universal have business in ME Eowyn3 Send a private message to Eowyn3 Feb 9 2013, 10:11pm
    Middle Earth theme park billzy2 Send a private message to billzy2 Feb 10 2013, 4:44am
    I'm gonna repost my thoughts on this :) grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Feb 10 2013, 1:39pm
    Lothlórien, Rivendell and The Shire Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Feb 10 2013, 5:10pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.