Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Has it really been eleven years?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 9 2013, 9:38am

Post #1 of 61 (583 views)
Shortcut
Has it really been eleven years? Can't Post

Well, eleven (!!!) years ago, sometime right around now, I'd fallen in love with a movie that had brought to life I book I loved in a way I'd never dreamed possible. I barely knew how to use the internet, thought messageboards were suspect at best (though not having ever seen one, this opinion wasn't based on much), and didn't know what "google" meant. Somehow I found my way here. And *gasp* suddenly I'd discovered a whole treasure trove of people who not only loved Tolkien -- many of whom knew way more about his works than I did -- but who were just as obsessed (or more so!) with the new movie as I was. My story really isn't too different from any other Second Ager's...well, that part of it, at least.

What finally got me posting after lurking...oh, say a week...was the fun with Figwit, and grammaboodawg's infectious enthusiasm. I just had to join in! Anyways, I didn't know it then, but that was a lifechanging day. TORn's given me so much over the years that I'm actually embarrassed to try to mention it all. I've never had so much fun in all my life as I've had sharing in so many adventures -- Expected and Otherwise -- with TORnsibs, many of whom are now dear friends. And, of course, I have TORn to thank for my family.

And here we are again, sort of like coming full circle: a new movie to love and geek out over, the anticipation for the next two movies, sexy dwarves to swoon over...oh, wait, we didn't have that last time...yes, yes, on to the mathoms.

I'll share three TORniversary mathoms: first, a list; second, a limerick (yes, I know I'm slacking with only one); and lastly, a picture. I'd love it if you added your own contributions to the List!

Top 11 Things I’ve learned from TORn
(yes, this list goes up to 11)

11. Whatever you love about [fill in any aspect whatsover of Tolkien or the movies], you can find someone else here who will happily geek out with you about it.
10. When bad things happen, TORnsibs care. When good things happen, TORnsibs share!
9. Balrogs may not have had wings, after all.
8. Limericks are funny. Pants are even funnier.
7. Don’t feed the trolls…or at least if you do, run and hide afterwards.
6. If it’s 10 pm in California, it’s 7 pm (usually) in New Zealand, tomorrow.
5. Virtual parties can be just as fun as real parties. Not only do you not have to worry about what to wear, but there’s also no hangover (usually).
4. “Bad Assery” is not only a funny phrase, but useful.
3. You can always find someone to share in the…erm…appreciation…of sexy Dwarves, Men, Elves, and even Hobbits. In a pinch, I’m sure there’s some Ent or Orc fanciers out there too.
2. People that post on message boards are not in fact all axe murderers and psychopaths. In fact, some are very good friends.

1. No matter how geeky you think you are, there’s someone more geeky than you. (gramma, you might be the exception Wink. )

A limerick:

While TORn is a fangirl’s delight
Some posters are quite erudite;
The bookishness here-in
Is rather endearin’
So let’s toast our TORnsibs tonight.

And a picture:
(without TORn, these three wouldn't exist!)

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2013, 12:57pm

Post #2 of 61 (325 views)
Shortcut
Happy Torniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

The kids are so cute! And so grown up now it's scary, when I think of playing in the autumn leaves with Eldarion all those years ago now. Smile Here's to the next eleven years.

Storm clouds

Lossefalme
Gondor

Feb 9 2013, 2:04pm

Post #3 of 61 (305 views)
Shortcut
Happy tORNiversary!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's amazing to think about, isn't it? Great Top 11. It's so wonderful to know that this family is here. Your family is looking beautiful! Anyway, congratulations on 11 years.

P.S. I could send along some saltines as a tORNiversary gift!Smile

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. “Elendil!” he cried. “I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil’s son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!” TTT, Book III, Chapter 2
And Éomer answered: “Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail.” RotK, Book VI, Chapter 5

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 9 2013, 2:13pm

Post #4 of 61 (357 views)
Shortcut
News of the World, Online Edition: [In reply to] Can't Post

Internet use results in pregnancy

(NW) The Institute for Safer Social Networking (ISSN) warns that use of so-called "safe" Internet sites may lead to pregnancy.

Researchers are baffled by the mechanics of it all [ed. we're talking nerds here] but are convinced that popular Tolkien fan site, theonering.net (TORn), with its "femine" nature and relatively high number of female users, is more likely to experience pregnancy among its members than the typical male dominated fan site.

And this has the ISSN concerned. "People need to be aware of connection between Internet use and pregnancy. This is not only the tip."

"I have TORn to thank for my family," says Internet user Roheryn aka Ro, "without TORn these three wouldn't exist."

An Internet insider tells us that in Ro's case (not her real name) the children were welcome and a blessing, but wonders if others might be susceptible to pregnancy.

According to another long time user "there's islands of estrogen and pics of hot dwarves all over TORn. I'm not surprised something like this can happen," our source adds "in Ro's case, three times. But oh, aren't they lovely."

Our panel asks: Are you sure your pregnancy was not the result of Internet use?

more >>>

Sir D says: congratulations on all points Roheryn... thanks for the mathoms! Thanks too for going all the way for this one.
LaughSmileAngelic

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Feb 9 2013, 2:17pm)

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 9 2013, 2:25pm

Post #5 of 61 (339 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

And many, many more. Heart

A friend designs her own cross-stitch patterns and showed us these two the other day... and for some reason I thought of you Cool

Would you like one to hang in your office? As a TORniversary present of course WinkLaugh

*and I am talking about the cross-stitch dear!* LaughEvilAngelic

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 9 2013, 3:59pm

Post #6 of 61 (300 views)
Shortcut

Your eleven points are dead-on, especially number 1. Every time a friend or relative rolls his/her eyes at my geekery I can say, "If you only knew...." (And yes, gramma deserves the title of Geek-in-Chief if only because she's so good-natured about it.)

What a lovely family you have Heart

Yes, a toast to TORnsibs world-wide!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 9 2013, 4:00pm

Post #7 of 61 (302 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness... [In reply to] Can't Post

...some of us are past child-bearing age. Cool

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 9 2013, 4:41pm

Post #8 of 61 (306 views)
Shortcut

Love the limerick & the pic of your adorable kiddies. I started posting sometime in January 2002 after lurking for a loooong time. I've enjoyed following your story over the years. There are a great bunch of people here who have enriched my life over the last eleven years. Cheers to you & many more years of fun here at TORn!

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 9 2013, 5:17pm

Post #9 of 61 (298 views)
Shortcut
Eleven very eventful years in your case! [In reply to] Can't Post

We've had several TORn marriages but I think yours set the bar.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 9 2013, 6:32pm

Post #10 of 61 (305 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's hilarious, SirDennis! Thanks for that, and for the nice words. Smile

After reading that, maybe I should rethink the amount of time I spend here...three really is enough...

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 9 2013, 7:52pm

Post #11 of 61 (286 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

I lurked here for 11 years before I posted, so we went in the exact reverse! You were smarter than I (although I definitely didn't need anymore kids...).

Greenwood Hobbit
Gondor

Feb 9 2013, 10:11pm

Post #12 of 61 (266 views)
Shortcut

Lovely pic of the kiddies, there! My daughter (and husband of course!) have now provided me with two grandsons, too young yet to be initiated into the world of Middle Earth, but I can wait...Wink My time onTORn must be getting on for eleven years - wish I could remember exactly when I joined! I know I'd been on the boards for a while before that Edinburgh Fringe Figwit Moot; that was the first time I'd met people from TORn.

Here's to the next eleven years!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 9 2013, 11:33pm

Post #13 of 61 (274 views)
Shortcut
A very happy TORNiversary, dear Roheryn! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love how each of your children has exactly the same smile - and cheeky eyes! :D

I'm really glad you and NZS have a bit more time to join in the fun on TORN these days. So ... at least another 11 more years of TORN madness ahead?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 10 2013, 3:29am

Post #14 of 61 (267 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORNiversary Ro! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was not sure if i could agree completely when one expounds on a subject, but my doubts were for naughtLaugh

Yes RO, the commonality is uncanny and it is a beautiful thing. And those beautiful rascals you two have brings a massive grin to me.

I hope you are having a fine time this day reveling on, so many happenings over the years!Smile. It is good to have you here:)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 10 2013, 3:44am

Post #15 of 61 (258 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I love the picture! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been just over 11 years for me, too. I joined in January, 2002, after seeing the most incredible movie. Like you, I was astonished and thrilled to find people who love Tolkien as much as me and had read the books every year for umpty-million years. The joy of that discovery makes me smile to this day.

It's been so excellent to have you back on the boards again, and your wonderful husband. Happy Torniversary, and here's to many, many more Smile

To add to your Top 11, I would say to all the lurkers: join us! We were all nervous once, but my life is so much better once I got over that and started participating here. I have so many wonderful memories both on the boards and in real-life meetups.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 5:31am

Post #16 of 61 (240 views)
Shortcut
Wow - happy TORniversary, Ro! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a story! And thanks for all the laughs; here's to many more in years to come!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 8:24am

Post #17 of 61 (236 views)
Shortcut
I love those pictures [In reply to] Can't Post

I have of you playing in the leaves with him. That was a fun visit! And no, we can't quite believe how fast he's growing up...where did the time go?!?

Thanks, Eledhwen. :-)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 8:29am

Post #18 of 61 (237 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Saltines -- funny, not too long ago I was trying to find the closest thing to those here and they're called something that looks like "Salad". I forget the actual name. Thanks for the nice words. :-)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 8:45am

Post #19 of 61 (238 views)
Shortcut
Oooooh, pretty! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes please, I'll take the fur-draped long-haired one in the middle...either middle...I promise I'll keep him secret and safe and feed him well...

Oh, wait, you meant *cross-stitch*. Those are gorgeous! Er, yes, I mean the cross-stitch is gorgeous. Dwarves are too, of course; that goes without saying...Wait, you keep distracting me. I actually enjoy doing cross-stitch when I have free time, which hasn't been for the last 7 years or so! Your friend's got a lot of talent to design those!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 8:50am

Post #20 of 61 (236 views)
Shortcut
"Geekery"...there's another word I've learned from TORn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, Lily.

I get those eye-rolls too, but at least I don't get them from my husband! Smile

(This post was edited by Roheryn on Feb 10 2013, 8:51am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 10 2013, 8:54am

Post #21 of 61 (236 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORNiversary, Ro! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for all the great mathoms, especially that last one! Could there be any better argument for a message board community than that picture? Cool

It's been a great 11 years, and it's also such a pleasure to see you around here regularly again. Cheers!

Silverlode

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 8:55am

Post #22 of 61 (239 views)
Shortcut
See, you clearly showed self-restraint... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in lurking for a long time first! Self-restraint is clearly not my strong suit.

Glad you've found enrichment here too, and thanks for the nice words. Cheers back atcha, sherlock! Smile

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 9:00am

Post #23 of 61 (235 views)
Shortcut
Yup. [In reply to] Can't Post

So eventful that...well, I was just lucky, I guess; most of it had to do with being in the right place (Los Angeles) at the right time.

I know I'm horribly biased, but our wedding was the most fun I've ever had at a wedding (well, counting the whole weekend). I suppose that's the proper thing for a bride to think, though, sort of like mothers always thinking their own kids are the cutest!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 9:05am

Post #24 of 61 (241 views)
Shortcut
Well, if SirDennis is right... [In reply to] Can't Post

those of us of a femine persuasion ought to be a bit more careful! "Just one more" is fine when we're talking about AUJ viewings or chocolate or dwarves, but not kids!

You sure took your time to delurk, but I'm glad you did! Smile

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 9:09am

Post #25 of 61 (245 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, GH! [In reply to] Can't Post

How neat that you get to look forward to sharing Middle-earth with your grandsons. Is your daughter sympathetic? I've really enjoyed reading The Hobbit to my boys, and sharing with them what I can of the movie without them having seen it. I've managed to get them pretty interested in it, and they're looking forward to watching the bits of the movie that I'll let them see once we've got the DVD.

It was fun getting to meet up with you in Edinburgh...my first trip to the UK! Such an amazing time. Still can't believe that was nearly 11 years ago!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.