Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
a thought has crossed my mind: are we going to see old Bilbo again in DOS?

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Feb 8 2013, 6:42pm

Post #1 of 19 (1190 views)
Shortcut
a thought has crossed my mind: are we going to see old Bilbo again in DOS? Can't Post

Is he writing the story as we are watching it? If so.. What if we are seeing old Bilbo again but this time older and writing the book (or finishing it) in Rivendell just as we saw him in FOTR???

what do you think will happen?

Don't know if this has been discussed before, sorry if so.

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

(This post was edited by Oscarilbo on Feb 8 2013, 6:51pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 8 2013, 6:59pm

Post #2 of 19 (671 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, not in Rivendell. I don't think Holm has filmed more and different writing scenes. If there is more Old Bilbo, it's probably more at Bag-end.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Oscarilbo
Lorien

Feb 8 2013, 7:04pm

Post #3 of 19 (651 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

But we know Bilbo did not finished his book in Bag End, but in Rivendell, didn't he?

"The World is Changed, I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air"

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 8 2013, 7:08pm

Post #4 of 19 (642 views)
Shortcut
I don't think that's going to affect the films [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that we're not going to see Old Bilbo again. I think that we were just introduced to the idea of it being a young Bilbo and that the next two films won't take us back to the framing device.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

The White Wizard
The Shire

Feb 8 2013, 7:32pm

Post #5 of 19 (706 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually have talked to people about this before, and I think that you are exactly right. I am 99% sure that he will be in DOS as I have seen evidence that he will be including Ian Holm being on the cast list for DOS. Also, although I have not seen any evidence to support it, it would make sense that they would show the older Bilbo in Rivendell since that is where he finished it. Also, I have seen no evidence to deny it either. I think it will start with another short introduction from Bilbo and then we will be watching the adventure again like in AUJ.

Escapist
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 7:32pm

Post #6 of 19 (634 views)
Shortcut
I would love to see something like this happen. [In reply to] Can't Post

In this trilogy, though, I don't think that the kind of framing device you are suggesting would fit. I don't think it is PJ's style (he goes more for prologue/intro than a true frame), it doesn't fit with LoTR, and it would have had to have been set up in the first part of TH trilogy otherwise it wouldn't fit.

If the decision to do it had been made, it would have been better to make it earlier and do more with it in AUJ to justify seeing it again in the other two. As it is, what we had in AUJ was really more like a tie-in prologue of minimum possible screen time. The kind of thing you are suggesting could be great and has worked for many other films but it probably won't happen in these films.

Escapist
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 7:36pm

Post #7 of 19 (607 views)
Shortcut
If Bilbo is part of a quickie intro prologue then I think it could work. // [In reply to] Can't Post

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 8 2013, 10:03pm

Post #8 of 19 (534 views)
Shortcut
My guess [In reply to] Can't Post

is that we will not see Old Bilbo in DoS. I could see having him in TABA, though, to close out the trilogy.

Verbal_Daggers
The Shire

Feb 8 2013, 10:39pm

Post #9 of 19 (538 views)
Shortcut
All for old Bilbo in Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

It would actually be really nice if the next or last movie included scenes with the old Bilbo finishing the book in Rivendell ... Maybe that could be the end of the last movie - and then you would see Frodo arriving there. Wouldn't that be awesome? A nice connection with the LOTR trilogy :) I hope that this is gonna happen!! I would cry!!

(This post was edited by Verbal_Daggers on Feb 8 2013, 10:39pm)

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Feb 8 2013, 11:35pm

Post #10 of 19 (510 views)
Shortcut
I would think so. [In reply to] Can't Post

The prologue already established a link between Bilbo's experience and what would eventually happen to his three relatives, particularly his favorite Frodo. One would assume that the chain would come full circle in the end.

Escapist
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 11:46pm

Post #11 of 19 (521 views)
Shortcut
If the end of TaBA includes the Bilbo/Frodo mini-frame [In reply to] Can't Post

but nothing in tDoS or the beginning of TaBA alludes to this ever ... do you think the audience will link back to the beginning of AUJ?

I think TORn sibs would make the link ... but a general audience?

I think there were many options for this kind of thing .. but once decisions were made about AUJ it limited the options of what would fit somewhat. There is still time, though. People are creative.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 9 2013, 1:43am

Post #12 of 19 (483 views)
Shortcut
*snicker* [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, your header just makes me giggle...

Elutherian
Rohan

Feb 9 2013, 5:03am

Post #13 of 19 (428 views)
Shortcut
I figured... [In reply to] Can't Post

...he wouldn't be in DOS, but would more likely appear at the end of TABA (in Rivindell) finishing up his book.

Not that it would be the absolute final scene, but just to bring it back to the storytelling device at some point.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Escapist
Gondor

Feb 9 2013, 5:04am

Post #14 of 19 (428 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

Lightice
Lorien

Feb 9 2013, 1:19pm

Post #15 of 19 (380 views)
Shortcut
I expect that every film of the trilogy will start with old Bilbo's prologue. [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ didn't introduce the framing device for giggles. He wanted to tie The Hobbit-trilogy to the LotR-trilogy as tightly as he could. Making the latter the framing device of the former seems to be the plan he's going with. As such, I'd be fairly surprised if there was no old Bilbo's narration at the start of all three films.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 7 2013, 10:50pm)

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Feb 9 2013, 2:25pm

Post #16 of 19 (373 views)
Shortcut
I think we might get a voice-over/narration by Holm in DoS, [In reply to] Can't Post

but if we see him again it will be at the end of TaBA I think Smile

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

(This post was edited by painjoiker on Feb 9 2013, 2:26pm)

Kendalf
Rohan

Feb 9 2013, 10:34pm

Post #17 of 19 (345 views)
Shortcut
Old Bilbo's voice, maybe, but not appearance [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What if we are seeing old Bilbo again but this time older and writing the book (or finishing it) in Rivendell just as we saw him in FOTR???

I don't think we'll actually see old Bilbo at the start of DoS (or even TaBA):

1) There's the pacing issue, the one the critics kept referring to; if he was going to appear, I suspect he might not now
2) Frodo's already left to surprise Gandalf; what would we see other than him sitting at his desk (yet again)?
3) Your postulated relocation to Rivendell for any such scenes of Bilbo scribbling might confuse the uninitiated; where on earth is he now and why's he so old?

That's not to say we might not be treated to Holm-narrated prologues for DoS and TaBA; I just don't think he'll be on screen.

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

(This post was edited by Kendalf on Feb 9 2013, 10:35pm)

Scourge of the Stoors
Rivendell

Feb 12 2013, 11:20pm

Post #18 of 19 (249 views)
Shortcut
Don't bleed into LotR! [In reply to] Can't Post

It would suffice to hear Ian Holm's narration in the next two films, but I'd prefer not to see him again. It's hard to believe that he wrote even as much story as AUJ gives, not in the space of one morning. Logically, anything involving old Bilbo would have to take place after the beginning of FOTR. This is acceptable if we only hear his speech, but showing him again would bleed into the LOTR story and render the Hobbit trilogy a slave to the LoTR films.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 13 2013, 2:39am

Post #19 of 19 (336 views)
Shortcut
My guess would be [In reply to] Can't Post

that we won't see old Bilbo again until the end of TaBA, if at all.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.