Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*gets keys, unlocks doors* It's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2013, 6:09pm

Post #26 of 84 (195 views)
Shortcut
Will do. [In reply to] Can't Post

Did I tell you - our eldest is moving to Iceland? She's going to work at her company's headquarters in Reykjavik. Her move is schedule for early next month now, and she's taking her 3-legged cat with her!

Kids do amazing things, once they leave the nest...

Teenage girls? And even older boys! Geeky Son is commuting to college from home at present, and he got up at noon today! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 8 2013, 6:23pm

Post #27 of 84 (172 views)
Shortcut
Sorry I'm late! [In reply to] Can't Post

Argh! My client asked me to come to her office 5 mins before Fiesta was supposed to start and I just got back. Frown

Thanks, dernwyn, for jumping in and starting the festivities! I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2013, 6:36pm

Post #28 of 84 (208 views)
Shortcut
An Admin is never late... [In reply to] Can't Post

...especially if she is the Super-Admin! Smile

Welcome, Altaira, I figured something had side-tracked you! How has the business been, now that you're your own boss? Cool

NZ Strider
Rivendell

Feb 8 2013, 6:37pm

Post #29 of 84 (234 views)
Shortcut
Good to see you again, Gramma. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope that all's well with you. By the way, we still have those two CDs which you sent us when our eldest was born. One of them is in the car these days, so it's receiving a fair amount of playtime during car trips at the moment -- so many thanks again for that. Have a great weekend!

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2013, 6:40pm

Post #30 of 84 (208 views)
Shortcut
LOL. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Nope, not this weekend :) ... but I *am* looking forward to the rest of the season (starting in late March/early April, I think?). ;)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2013, 6:57pm

Post #31 of 84 (203 views)
Shortcut
*puts out "Self-Serve" sign* Have a fun - and safe! - weekend, everyone! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 8 2013, 7:43pm

Post #32 of 84 (181 views)
Shortcut
Hiya Losse! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so good to see you around here again! Hope all is well! I was AWOL a while too, just came back to the boards pretty recently amid all The Hobbit hubbub :-).

Not surprised to hear you got a generator too - we got one after the second storm - and at the time thought, oh sure, now that we spent all that money, we'll probably never use it. And then... we had the third storm and sure enough, we used it!

I hope we don't have to fire it up again this time, but it's *such* a relief knowing you have one, isn't it?

Stay warm and hope you and the family have some fun blizzard activities lined up (we've already made a batch of cookies :-).

{Hugs}

Loresilme

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 8 2013, 7:48pm

Post #33 of 84 (188 views)
Shortcut
From what I read, it's two storms [In reply to] Can't Post

One from the midwest heading east, and the other from the southeast heading northwest. And they're going to collide over the New England states area.

Fun stuff, eh Crazy?!?!?

We have a generator too. I think at this point, with all the storms over the past few years, one in every three people in New England has bought a generator, lol.

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 8 2013, 7:50pm

Post #34 of 84 (169 views)
Shortcut
Congrats [In reply to] Can't Post

on your many acceptances! You must be a stellar student. Good luck with your decision making and hope the rest of the trips are enjoyable as well Smile!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 8 2013, 8:04pm

Post #35 of 84 (143 views)
Shortcut
We've had a foot of snow already [In reply to] Can't Post

with no end in sight. I'm looking outside thinking "if that's not a blizzard, I don't know what is." I agree though that it is pretty.

Oh so you know, I'm near the source of the Saint Lawrence River, on the Canadian side.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 8 2013, 9:26pm

Post #36 of 84 (136 views)
Shortcut
Party on, dude! (Or dudettes, as the case may be.) [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a warm summer day here; a blizzard would actually be a nice change of pace! Just for the novelty, and only if we could go right back to summer after a day or so.

Things are pleasant; Saturdays with the whole family home mean no stress in trying to get everyone out the door in time! However, there are drawbacks: no peace, and little NZ Toddler doesn't take a 3-hour nap when her brothers are tearing through the house screeching or hooting like steam engines.

Rooster is still sleeping in the laundry room most nights, meaning our mornings start before 5 am...

Oh, and I just saw AUJ for #14 yesterday -- on probably the best screen in town, which was new to me -- in 3D HFR -- wish I'd seen it there a bunch before, because it was far superior to any other screen I've seen it on! Sadly, that'll probably be the last time, as it's hard to sneak away that long, and it's down to this one showing, once a day, at just this one last theater. It'll likely be gone altogether next week.

Oh, and if anyone has any tips at how to survive extended visits from their mother, do let me know. My mom's a huge help around the house, but the boys drive her nuts (she can't stand their noise, amongst other things), and she does nothing but roll her eyes and make snide comments when I try to talk about how much (or why) I enjoy AUJ so much. Sigh.

Happy weekend everyone! Stay warm, or cool, as appropriate!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 8 2013, 9:41pm

Post #37 of 84 (116 views)
Shortcut
Stay cozy, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you don't lose power, or at least not for long. I absolutely love watching a snowfall; so peaceful and beautiful, it's mesmerizing. We don't get enough of it around here. But a blizzard is a bit different! I hope it doesn't do much damage, and that you're not snowed in for long! At least you'll get a 3-day weekend.

Enjoy some hot chocolate and cookies -- perfect accompaniment to wretched weather. Smile

How many viewings are you up to now? You're a great source of inspiration, though I'll never manage to get close to your record!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 8 2013, 10:00pm

Post #38 of 84 (113 views)
Shortcut
A very late appearance.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, I confess, the Gaffer and I had a chance to eat lunch and hang out with our bestest friends---the two guys were college roommates back when they had to dodge velociraptors on the way to class Smile Plus it's a lovely, sunny, fresh day here, a success all around.

I hope everyone getting snow stays toasty warm! And that *everyone*, regardless of climate, has a great weekend!

Greenwood Hobbit
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 10:07pm

Post #39 of 84 (149 views)
Shortcut
Mmm, pizza... [In reply to] Can't Post

As it happens I've dined on home-made lamb rogan josh already; definitely lamb, not horse - have you seen any English news lately, about processed supermarket meals being found to contain more horse than cow? Yeesh...

Stay safe in the snow, and stay cosy out of it, you folks in NE US - sounds like a good excuse to imbibe quantities of hot chocolate with marshmallows! Er... as long as you have power to heat it up, that is?

Cheers, all, and have a good weekend. I have snowdrops and primroses out in my garden - a taste of spring!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 8 2013, 10:24pm

Post #40 of 84 (169 views)
Shortcut
Oh.... that's so cool :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I should send some updated ones and a special one for your Princess! I'll see what I can do :)

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2013, 10:49pm

Post #41 of 84 (167 views)
Shortcut
Hasn't it started [In reply to] Can't Post

to wind down, in your area? How have the winds been?

Yep, straight across the Midwest, then hit gramma in Michgan, rampaged across the Toronto area into New York, collided with another swirl coming up the East Coast - and wham! Crazy

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2013, 10:55pm

Post #42 of 84 (103 views)
Shortcut
Snowballs in summer [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to be able to send you some, the boys would have such fun whacking around snowballs in summertime!

#14! It's been interesting to learn how much the various cinemas differ in quality for the 3D.

Um...visits from mother? For how long? Maybe you could build a guest-house that's set far apart from the main house, where she could go for some quiet...but I'm afraid there's nought to do about her lack of love for AUJ, unless you were to post some pics of Thorin around...?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2013, 10:58pm

Post #43 of 84 (175 views)
Shortcut
What! You skipped Fiesta? [In reply to] Can't Post

For shame! Laugh

I'm glad you had a fun time eating lunch and hanging out together - that is a most hobbity type of activity, of course! Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2013, 11:01pm

Post #44 of 84 (102 views)
Shortcut
Rogan josh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that the stew with yogurt and cinammon? Stew sounds very good, on a day like today! Laugh

We do have our camp stove to heat water for hot cocoa, so we're all set! Smile

Snowdrops? I've got lots of those, outside my window...Tongue But not as pretty as yours!

ryouko
Lorien

Feb 8 2013, 11:05pm

Post #45 of 84 (122 views)
Shortcut
I live in Michigan [In reply to] Can't Post

And the part I live in only got a couple of inches. But there was a little freezing rain mixed in. Slow go getting into work this morning, but I've driven through worse. We had a few patients cancel and reschedule appts, but we expected that.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 8 2013, 11:12pm

Post #46 of 84 (130 views)
Shortcut
Not that I can tell. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just got back from a two and a half hour odyssey of driving to the train station... it normally takes half an hour round trip.

It is still very nasty, TONS of snow, biting cold, and windy enough that it's snowing sideways. Supposedly it will end later this evening but I'll believe it when I see it. Twice as much snow has fallen than they predicted.

I'd say it was romantic (and for some it likely is) but my love is not here right now Frown

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Feb 8 2013, 11:13pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2013, 1:18am

Post #47 of 84 (107 views)
Shortcut
My ear hurts! [In reply to] Can't Post

Friday is often conference-call day for me, since I travel a lot during the week, and Friday is a natural day to catch up. But today I had seven hours of calls, with 5 hours right in a row this afternoon. Ouch!

So at 6 pm, finally finished with the phone, I poured myself a glass of wine, ate a quick dinner, and settled down to a couple hours of work I have to get done tonight.

Tomorrow I volunteer at a local community college to help prepare tax returns for low-income families. In the US, they often qualify for some nice tax benefits, but the calculations are complex. Many families don't even try to figure it out, which means they don't get the benefits. The organization I volunteer with is a non-profit that does these returns for free. It's incredibly rewarding to make such a material difference in their lives. The organization has been around for a little over 10 years, and they've returned over 300 million dollars (US) to the community in the form of refunds.

Sunday I have to work again Frown, and Monday one of my doors goes out for final touch-up before it's installed next Monday! Can't wait!

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Stay safe, all of you in the path of the latest storm in the US. We got a mix of rain, sleet and snow yesterday in Chicago, but the storm has passed on, leaving just a bit of snow. But 30 miles north of me got a couple feet.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 9 2013, 1:25am

Post #48 of 84 (98 views)
Shortcut
Happy weekend, GH! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like spring's just around the corner for you -- I love those first flowers of spring!

I've been reading about the horse-meat scandal. Revolting and sad! Good reason to eat things homemade.

Nice to see you about. :-)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 9 2013, 1:39am

Post #49 of 84 (102 views)
Shortcut
We actually have some snow in our freezer still [In reply to] Can't Post

left over from our last (well, only, really) big snowfall in winter! It's sort of squooshed down to mostly ice now, but it's there.

I really was surprised by the difference in quality on this particular screen -- they call it the "XTreme Screen", and it's their largest room, huge stadium-style seating, with an amazing sound system -- much better than in their others. I do wish I'd seen it in there more!

Mother-visit: 5 months. Give or take a bit. She's got the quietest room in the house, which helps, but she can't escape all of it. Sadly, she does like men with long hair, but she has absolutely zero, no, none, nil, zilch, interest in LOTR/AUJ characters. She instantly dismisses them because they're "not real". She's never read The Hobbit, and couldn't get past the first bit of LOTR (years ago) because there were, in her words, "too many place-names". So she's totally unsympathetic!

Maybe I'll try sweet-talking NZS into letting me put some Thorin pictures up...

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2013, 1:57am

Post #50 of 84 (104 views)
Shortcut
Your boys are great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know not everyone has patience with little boys, but I love spending time with your children. Do they still do the Express with their sister? I know they had a scare when they tipped her over while I was there, but your daughter got right back in and seemed to be OK with her brothers running her up and down the hallway.

Have the cattle-beasts escaped lately? What a day that was - pouring rain, cattle in the garden, and the dogs outside.

Miss all of you!!!!Heart

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.