Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
I'm in a Tolkien class!

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2013, 11:04pm

Post #1 of 14 (389 views)
Shortcut
I'm in a Tolkien class! Can't Post

Hello all,

I know I haven't posted in a while-- silly college is taking up all of my time. :) (in a good way, of course)

This is my last semester of undergrad, and the first semester since I've been in college that one of my favorite professors is offering her quadrennial Tolkien class. English majors here have a 20th century British Lit requirement that is usually offered in the form of a seminar on a specific author or a single book (the other possible 20th cen. Brit lit course for this semester was Ulysses, by James Joyce). The professor is infamous for capping this class at fifteen students, so getting in has apparently always been a bit of a struggle. Fortunately for me, registration is based on number of hours taken, and being a second-semester senior who is essentially triple-majoring, I got in!

I've only been in it for a couple of weeks, but so far, it's been absolutely fantastic. On our syllabus for the semester, we've got TH, LOTR, the Sil, Leaf by Niggle, Farmer Giles, On Fairy-Stories, the Monster and the Critic, Beowulf, The Elder Edda, and The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth. For our final project, we can design any type of creative research project -- something I have been considering is a couple of music compositions to which I can set some of the poems in LOTR.

The course is really fascinating, particularly when we're discussing some of Tolkien's theories of language and the execution of his theories in the books/essays we read-- I have tons of pages of typed notes already. If people are interested, I could post a weekly thread on some of the class topics/discussions, either here or in the Reading Room (since we're only discussing written works). Any thoughts? If anybody's interested, it might serve as some interesting discussion!

Even though I haven't been posting often, it's great to stop in and see everybody! Laugh

‎"When we can take green from grass, blue from heaven, and red from blood, we have already an enchanter's power—upon one plane; and the desire to wield that power in the world
external to our minds awakes."
--J. R. R. Tolkien

Mozart and Chocolate

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 5 2013, 11:19pm

Post #2 of 14 (232 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's a great idea. I wish that had been offered back when I was in Law School.Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 5 2013, 11:27pm

Post #3 of 14 (250 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Tolkien overload in a wonderful way! [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, we never doubted that you'd get into this course! Wink

And what a great overview of the Professor's works! I'd love to read about your adventures in there - if you have the time to post them, you're doing so much, that alone amazes me! Cool

I'd vote for either here or RR - probably here, as I think more folks will see them here. What do the rest of you think?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 6 2013, 1:30am

Post #4 of 14 (226 views)
Shortcut
Such Fun [In reply to] Can't Post

I taught an Oral Interpretation of Literature course that was all about Tolkien. We ended the course by performing a Readers' Theater entitled "Aragorn Arathorn's Son" which told Aragorn's Story from birth to death.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 6 2013, 1:55am

Post #5 of 14 (209 views)
Shortcut
Yes yes yes. ..Bomby... votes 3 Times/// [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 6 2013, 5:04am

Post #6 of 14 (218 views)
Shortcut
yes, please, and 'here' [In reply to] Can't Post

good intentions aside, I'd never think to go to the RR to find them.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 6 2013, 5:13am

Post #7 of 14 (214 views)
Shortcut
I think here is best. [In reply to] Can't Post

Our little girl d is raising cain over thereLaugh. It is good to hear from her, being here on time when she gets hereWink

Laerasea, just keep on doing your work. It is a joy to hear about that Tolkien class. What serendipity!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 6 2013, 3:32pm

Post #8 of 14 (227 views)
Shortcut
I was hoping you'd get into this class! [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll remember my telling you that when my son was attending Trinity he took the Tolkien class. I remember him telling me that I'd been saying "Eowyn" wrong all these years, that it wasn't EEE-o-wyn but Ay-o-wyn, because of the diacritical mark.

This was right before the movies came out so he had no chance to do any compare-and-contrasting.

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Feb 7 2013, 11:09pm

Post #9 of 14 (154 views)
Shortcut
Main it is! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll try and post here each weekend with some interesting notes from the course! I'll have to condense a bit (I'm one of *those* notetakers...Laugh) but this will definitely be fun!

The only problem with the course is that it's right on top of Friday Fiesta...Tongue

‎"When we can take green from grass, blue from heaven, and red from blood, we have already an enchanter's power—upon one plane; and the desire to wield that power in the world
--J. R. R. Tolkien

Mozart and Chocolate

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Feb 7 2013, 11:11pm

Post #10 of 14 (158 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Did he have the same professor-- Dr. F? She's fantastic. Do you know what his final project was (was their the same open-project option?)

She said that one student in the past actually found a local smith and studied from him, and then forged his own sword. That would take time (and dedication!) I absolutely do not have, but I love that the projects have been so versatile! Her only rule was, no lembas bread. Apparently it all ends up tasting like cornbread, and she ends up with too much bread in her house. Laugh

--J. R. R. Tolkien

Mozart and Chocolate

The White Wizard
The Shire

Feb 8 2013, 1:25am

Post #11 of 14 (145 views)
Shortcut
That would be great [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would be great if you could have a weekly thread on your class discussions. If you do U will make to to read them.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 8 2013, 3:56pm

Post #12 of 14 (138 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

He had Dr. F. He says he imagines things are a lot different in the post-movie world, with many of Jackson's choices of set design, costuming, etc., really coloring the imagery in the books. When he took the class there was no problem getting into it---the class consisted of "12 hardcore nerds" (his words) and that was it.

For his project he wrote a high-fantasy story. He has no idea where it is now and says the world is better off without it Tongue

Maybe you could do a musical project, set some of the songs to music. Although it would be hard to shake off Shore's influence.

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 8 2013, 4:05pm

Post #13 of 14 (137 views)
Shortcut
That's awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to have taken a class on Tolkien when I was in college or better yet now as a Teacher I'd love to teach a class on Tolkien (specifically Middle-earth). Very cool! I'm a bit jealous. :)

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 10:20pm

Post #14 of 14 (204 views)
Shortcut
Excellent [In reply to] Can't Post

I have missed a couple of opportunities like this locally. I would like to hear about the discussion in whatever way you think appropriate.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.