The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD - Eowyn and Aragorn

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2013, 6:35pm

Post #1 of 13 (1613 views)
Shortcut
SCOD - Eowyn and Aragorn Can't Post

Eowyn looks on as Aragorn has some soup.

1.) What's being told visually/physically here? (Note posture, framing, etc.)

2.) Thoughts on the setting? I love landscape like this - it reminds me of just a few of the sights I've seen the past couple summers in British Columbia.

Kinda makes you want to scale those distant mountains, eh? Or is just me?

3.) Any other thoughts?

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Escapist
Gondor

Feb 6 2013, 6:58pm

Post #2 of 13 (1182 views)
Shortcut
seeing [In reply to] Can't Post

>>> What I took from this is that while much is known by Aragorn about Eowyn, the reverse is not the case. His face and what that represents is hidden from her. She is pleased with what she does see.

2.) Thoughts on the setting? I love landscape like this - it reminds me of just a few of the sights I've seen the past couple summers in British Columbia.

>>> I do love scenes like this one. Reflections of the sky by water are a favorite thing for me to look at. I find it fascinating the way the reflection is slightly different than the actual sky.
As far as the mountains go, they are close to something that I like quite a bit which is an effect where the mountains fade into distant clouds in a way that is difficult to discern. Mountains or clouds? Here it is too obvious to interest my eye or excite my imagination.

3.) Any other thoughts?

>>> That's all I've got.

elevorn
Lorien

Feb 6 2013, 7:09pm

Post #3 of 13 (1192 views)
Shortcut
reminds me.. [In reply to] Can't Post

To me this scene really elevated the dynamic of Eowyns attraction to Aragorn. he was more than just a captain, he was a man that she could see herself with. As another poster said, it is his face that hides so much of what he really is, and who he truly is. Her love for him was really brought to light in a much fuller way in this exchange.

The scenery is gorgeous, remind me of hunting trips in Western Montana when we would end up in the higher country and off the beaten path. really miss those mountains.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2013, 7:08am

Post #4 of 13 (1128 views)
Shortcut
Just a comment [In reply to] Can't Post

I've read lot of criticism of this scene here, and I remember Phillipa Boyens on the commentary saying she wasn't sure about it. No, it doesn't seem consistent with book Eowyn, but it doesn't seem too out of place for movie Eowyn. Movie Eowyn was pretty close to the book version, just a bit more open. Anyway, people complain that making soup for Aragorn is demeaning and makes her seem weak. I think it just makes her seem human, like someone who's twitterpated (thanks, Bambi, for that word Smile) for what may be the first time in her life and she's not sure how to act. Even the strongest person can act a little goofy when they have a crush. I would definitely agree with the criticism if she played dumb or weak to get his attention; that would be totally inappropriate. But she just wants to do something nice. It's not my favorite scene by any means, but I think it's sweet.

Love the play of light and shadow in this shot.

Thanks One Ringer! Smile

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Lossefalme
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 6:36pm

Post #5 of 13 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Naivete [In reply to] Can't Post

I always felt like this scene emphasized the reality of Aragorn's life versus that of non-Numenorean, average men. It's almost inconceivable to Eowyn that Aragorn has lived the life he led and experienced everything he has.

I also think it's human nature to be attracted to power and Aragorn is innately powerful, even when it's not necessarily of his choosing. Eowyn has lived with powerful men her whole life and has seen some weaken with age and care, but Aragorn is still in his prime. He embodies all that she thinks she wants.

As for the imagery, nature tends to make me realize how small I really am and in this case I like that Aragorn and Eowyn are in the foreground of such beautiful and impressive mountains.
It is a subtle reminder that this brief moment and exchange takes place on the verge of unimaginable change - and we don't know if it's for the better or for the worse; we just know it's big.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. “Elendil!” he cried. “I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil’s son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!” TTT, Book III, Chapter 2
And Éomer answered: “Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail.” RotK, Book VI, Chapter 5

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 9:13pm

Post #6 of 13 (1138 views)
Shortcut
This scene [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a nice picture of them. She's tall and straight, as described in the books, and he is bent over in his usual crouch, as if he's tired, bent by travel and labor. I think the whole scene was good, and it really helped their dynamic. Sure it's a bit silly about the awful soup, but hey, she's never cooked in her life. He's used to bad food, and he's never done anything but fend for himself. The fact that he appreciates the gesture is a testament to his character, and the way Viggo played it was just perfect. Miranda Otto was very human in these kinds of scenes. She was well cast, did a nice job acting, and was also well directed. Was it demeaning? No, it was the fact that she felt some kinship with him. When she learns he's 'one of the Dunedain' you can almost see her face thinking through that, and it's clear she understood the import of what he said.

The beauty of the backgrounds was shown again. The mountains are just awesome.

3.) Any other thoughts?

NZ was the perfect choice of backgrounds and environments. We're very lucky that they could use as much of the landscape as they did. It made the world of M-E really come to life, because there were some 'natural' features like the occasional fly or bug on someone's hair, or the wind would stir their hair, or the natural light would hit the characters in a certain way. The integration of the scenic beauty with the action was very carefully done.

willowing
Lorien

Feb 10 2013, 12:34am

Post #7 of 13 (1083 views)
Shortcut
SCOD-Eowyn and Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone in this scene are not interested in the scenery that's for certain. They are all pre-occupied with their own affairs. Getting some much needed rest, food and trying to keep warm.

The beautiful princess, tall and fair to look upon brings him soup which he gratefully accepts. While he drinks the soup she waits(standing) upon him.

How appropriate for a princess of Rohan to give homage to a king in waiting.

I just think that The Hills Came Alive With The Sound of Music only for Eowyn.

A still calm after the storm has come and gone. Beautiful scene.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2013, 1:11am

Post #8 of 13 (1090 views)
Shortcut
Stunning [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say, her head being the top of the highest peak is quite drawing me, have no clue why. Aragorn is literally reduced to his cloak and his hair and only a bit of his body... this I find prety intriguing.
You could even say that he looks like a hobbit bending over/crouching in this picture.... .... dont know why this'd have any symbolism at all, just an interesting observation/interpretation... Éowyn is almost looking down on him in a way that she would to a hobbit too.... maybe I've just gone nuts hehe.

Wonderful BC pic there :D. The view is rather dramatic in this scene indeed. But.... nevertheless, very baren too. A big wasteland.

3.) Any other thoughts?
Still think Aragorn's looking like Pippin from behind here! tis crazy!

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 10 2013, 3:14am

Post #9 of 13 (1099 views)
Shortcut
All I can add is... [In reply to] Can't Post

Getting those two actors in their respective roles was very fortunate indeed. Viggo Mortensen, man I remember the first interview I saw with him, very early after casting and shooting. I literally sat there slack-jawed he was so into the role. I knew then we were in for something great.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Feb 18 2013, 4:16pm

Post #10 of 13 (1120 views)
Shortcut
to me the scene [In reply to] Can't Post

looks courtly. If they had filmed inside a castle in a great hall and they had rich clothes on, it could have been a scene of the princess dubbing the knight her Champion or some such courtly ritual. But they are in shabby travel clothes and instead of being given a sword she gives him soup. just shows how much Aragorn had lost and stood to gain.

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Feb 24 2013, 1:17pm

Post #11 of 13 (1006 views)
Shortcut
The one thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that always bothered me about Eowyn is that despite being as strong as she was, seemed to be blatantly looking for a fairy tale romance. After all, she fell hard and fast for Aragorn, and, once he spurned her, ended up falling hard and fast for Faramir (though the feeling was mutual that time). Another girl who read too much into all those princess stories she was read as a child, I guess. Unimpressed

Lossefalme
Gondor

Feb 24 2013, 1:55pm

Post #12 of 13 (1023 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, well... [In reply to] Can't Post

don't forget; it was written by a man. They all want us to fall for them! Tongue

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. “Elendil!” he cried. “I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil’s son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!” TTT, Book III, Chapter 2
And Éomer answered: “Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail.” RotK, Book VI, Chapter 5

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2013, 3:10am

Post #13 of 13 (1118 views)
Shortcut
I like the character of Eowyn, [In reply to] Can't Post

and i like Miranda Otto, but i find her story to be a bit of a drag. Not the most subtle storytelling, and we all knew that Arwen was the only one for Aragorn. But Eowyn really comes into her own in RotK, and i love her scenes with Faramir in the EE. So i give her a bit of a pass in TTT. And that stew she serves Aragorn in this scene truly does look disgusting (and the face Viggo makes as he says "good... it's good..." is hilarious).

And that scenery in the background is spectacular.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.