Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*gets keys, unlocks doors* It's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2013, 5:12pm

Post #1 of 84 (412 views)
Shortcut
*gets keys, unlocks doors* It's Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Welcome, one and all! Your favorite libations are on tap, and I've set out a selection of pizzas - cheese, veggie, meat-lover's, even make-your-own (yes, there's plenty of mushrooms! Smile)

I'm off work as the schools have closed down for the day, here in snowy Connecticut. We've only gotten about an inch so far - whups, make that two inches, nope, better increase that further...Shocked! We're all set for the blizzard, with jugs of water, and plenty of things like fruits and peanut butter, and a camp-stove which we can use on the porch to boil water and heat soup.

Anyone else in New England, get home NOW, and hunker down!

So...how are the rest of you faring on this fine day? What all have you been up to? Angelic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

NZ Strider
Rivendell

Feb 8 2013, 5:25pm

Post #2 of 84 (192 views)
Shortcut
Good Morning, Everybody! I'll have [In reply to] Can't Post

a Turkish Coffee, please; with a glass of water on the side.

Hope the snow doesn't get too bad for you, Dernwyn. We've been snowed in where we live for a day or so, once. In case of loss of power we have a log burner for heat and a gas range so that we can still cook. Of course, at the moment, it's Summer for us; and it's supposed to be a hot day.

Anyway, one more week and then the term starts back up for me. The boys, however, just finished their first week back at school and have gotten back into the groove of regular mornings and so on.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 8 2013, 5:27pm

Post #3 of 84 (226 views)
Shortcut
Howdy dernwyn and all! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to type fast since we have a huge storm here, too! It's already taken me 2 tries to sawy HOWDY with my internet kicking me out.

I've been worried about you, m'dear, and our other sibbies in the path of the storms. I got about 11 inches of snow overnight and have power going on and off... but no worries :) It's SO PURDY out! AND it's the first real snow we've had this winter. Got to stay home today :D

I'll grab a cup of hot chocolate and head back out to shovel. *waves to all* Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Take care, big d... stay safe and warm!

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 8 2013, 5:30pm

Post #4 of 84 (166 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle-hug* Howdy HI! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Cripes, it's so great to see you :D I hope you're having a great day!! Give that family of yours a hug for me!

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2013, 5:31pm

Post #5 of 84 (218 views)
Shortcut
*gets appropriate-size cup* [In reply to] Can't Post

For you, that would be a large one! Wink That'll get you going for the day! Laugh

Back to school already? What grades/levels are the boys in now?

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 5:33pm

Post #6 of 84 (159 views)
Shortcut
Good Morning and Happy Friday! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope that the snow doesn't cause too many problems, and everyone stays safe!

May I order a "Shot in the Dark"? My favorite coffee/espresso drink for waking up on cold mornings! It's currently 32 degrees and foggy here in the Pacific NW, but with hopes for sunshine later. I admit though, I envy the snow--I love snow! As long as it doesn't turn to ice Frown

And yes, mushroom pizza sounds lovely :) Now I can get to writing reports and analyzing archaeological artifacts. Plans for the weekend? Sleeping, eating, going for several long walks, and just hanging with my daughter. Poor Mr. the Green has to work all weekend.

I hope all of you have a Great Friday!

Aragalen the Green

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2013, 5:37pm

Post #7 of 84 (159 views)
Shortcut
Oh, gosh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw this monster of a storm had already come your way - but 11 inches! That'll keep you busy shovelling, be sure to add that exercise to your Walk miles! Smile

It is lovely, isn't it! Right now the leaves all have a coating of thick icing, and it's gentle swirly flakes. Later, though - they're saying, visibility zero, and high winds. It's the folks right along the coastlines that I'm most worried about!

This state's now under a State of Emergency, meaning everyone get home and stay there, and limited use of highways. Let the plows and sanders do their work!

Stay warm, gramma, you and all your menagerie! Smile

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2013, 5:39pm

Post #8 of 84 (160 views)
Shortcut
Back from my short sunny respite [In reply to] Can't Post

My visit to Houston was enjoyable. Rice U really wined and dined us, trying to convince us how great the school is and that we should go there.

I've heard back from slightly over half of the grad schools I applied to, all with acceptances (7/13). I have trips planned to Michigan and Indiana in the coming weeks, so then I'll have something to compare Rice to (though it sadly will not be as warm)

I'll take a slice of that veggie pizza and a cup of chamomile please Smile

Oh, and I've just started on my senior religion thesis, which means I get to read Tolkien for "homework" Cool

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2013, 5:40pm

Post #9 of 84 (158 views)
Shortcut
Love that name! [In reply to] Can't Post

A "Shot in the Dark" - perfect for those of us who've had to drag ourselves out of bed before sunrise! Laugh

Foggy and at freezing? That doesn't make for very pleasant fog, hope it does not turn to ice!

What kind of artifacts are you analyzing?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2013, 5:43pm

Post #10 of 84 (154 views)
Shortcut
*gets tea bag, pours out hot water* [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like you've got all sorts of schools who'd love to have you associated with them! Smile Any ideas on what precisely you'd like to continue your studies in?

And do tell, how you are working Tolkien into your religion thesis! Cool

Lossefalme
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 5:43pm

Post #11 of 84 (165 views)
Shortcut
Misty Mountain Snows! Is it Saruman??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Home today as well, dernwyn! I think we all are!!! We are hunkered down and ready for Snowpocalypse 2013. It's beautiful to look at, but it's not at blizzard level yet.

This is the first big storm since we got our generator, so I think we're going to be in good shape. All of our devices are fully charged and the cars have all kinds of ports as backup. We also have plenty of dry wood, lots of comfort food and snacks and, most importantly, we have each other all safe and sound.

I hope that all my Tornsibs, no matter what their location, have a safe and happy weekend. I think I'll go grab something warm for lunch - and a Diet Coke with lime, please, dernwyn. Smile

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. “Elendil!” he cried. “I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil’s son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!” TTT, Book III, Chapter 2
And Éomer answered: “Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail.” RotK, Book VI, Chapter 5

(This post was edited by Lossefalme on Feb 8 2013, 5:48pm)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 5:47pm

Post #12 of 84 (158 views)
Shortcut
No ice yet, too dry [In reply to] Can't Post

Although there have been mornings recently with freezing fog--ugh! slippery!

I use a microscope to identify species of wood and other plant material used in artifacts. It is lots of fun, gives me something to do, and contributes to my (eventual) Master's thesis.

A Shot in the Dark is also one of my favorite movies, with the incomparable Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau.

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Lossefalme
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 5:47pm

Post #13 of 84 (219 views)
Shortcut
Summer... [In reply to] Can't Post

I KNEW there was a reason I wanted to "winter" in NZ! It's my dream vacation. Someday I'll get there.

It's so great to hear about your family. It seems like little Eldarion was just born. Time flies, so enjoy!

Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. “Elendil!” he cried. “I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil’s son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!” TTT, Book III, Chapter 2
And Éomer answered: “Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail.” RotK, Book VI, Chapter 5

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2013, 5:49pm

Post #14 of 84 (153 views)
Shortcut
Where is this blizzard happening / headed for? [In reply to] Can't Post

(I'm probably just behind on the times)

Stay safe and warm!
Sounds like you're well prepared.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 5:51pm

Post #15 of 84 (164 views)
Shortcut
Live blizzard video [In reply to] Can't Post

From the Rockefeller Plaza! Woop-de-do! Looks pretty crazy. Please stay safe, everyone on the East Coast! Heart

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/...om/50741778#50741778

Lossefalme
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 5:52pm

Post #16 of 84 (153 views)
Shortcut
You need my 15 year old son... [In reply to] Can't Post

he's great for snow-blowing and shoveling! It's our first real snow here, too, and the whole family is really excited. Be safe and enjoy your hot chocolate.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2013, 5:53pm

Post #17 of 84 (151 views)
Shortcut
Losse! [In reply to] Can't Post

{big hug!} So good to see you! A Coke with lime, coming up.

Right now is a great time for the kids to head outside to play in it - some of our neighbors' kids have been doing that. But once that wind kicks up, we'll all have to stay inside. It sounds like you're as prepared as you can possibly be! Smile

Did you see we now have a State of Emergency? No flights at the airports, highways are to be closed - I think we've all learned something from past storms!

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2013, 5:56pm

Post #18 of 84 (153 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for not asking what my top choice of school is. [In reply to] Can't Post

I get that question too much, and I honestly don't know Tongue

But to answer your question, I want to study astrophysics, any more precise I'm not sure about.

I'm working with the Ainulindalë, and the original thought was a comparison of creation stories, but now I'm not so sure. Hopefully I'll get it more or less sorted out this afternoon when I talk to my adivsor.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2013, 5:59pm

Post #19 of 84 (143 views)
Shortcut
But New York is pretty crazy all the time, anyway! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Looks like they're getting a lot more wind than we are here, yet. We're supposed to get a changeover to rain for a couple of hours, then back to snow, but that rain is going to be icy.

As long as everyone stays in, except for those brave folks in the plow trucks, and everyone along the shorelines can notify the emergency crews if they need to evacuate, we should come through okay! Smile

Lossefalme
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 6:00pm

Post #20 of 84 (148 views)
Shortcut
Pretty much all of CT and Boston [In reply to] Can't Post

We're supposed to get about 18 to 24 inches where I am in CT and Boston is supposed to get at least 24 inches. Right now it's snowing hard, but the wind hasn't kicked in. That's not supposed to start until later today and through tonight.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2013, 6:01pm

Post #21 of 84 (151 views)
Shortcut
Creation stories [In reply to] Can't Post

sounds like a fun topic - there are so many, so different, yet so alike in many ways. Best of luck with it!

(I was about to say "Look to the stars!", but that's your field of study, isn't it! Wink)

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2013, 6:03pm

Post #22 of 84 (142 views)
Shortcut
Hey there, dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

A Winter Usual for me, please-- thanks!

Hope you stay safe and warm through the storm, and hope you have a great weekend! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2013, 6:04pm

Post #23 of 84 (152 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're a composition detective - what a specialty!

I love those old Pink Panther movies. I wish they'd been able to make more. "Does your dog bite?"

Lossefalme
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 6:05pm

Post #24 of 84 (148 views)
Shortcut
Yup. [In reply to] Can't Post

i think it's the right thing to do. Otherwise there are always yahoos who take unnecessary risks and then put our first responders at risk, too.

The kids have been in and out - except the middle one; she hasn't been up that long. Tongue Apparently teenage girls need lots of sleep!

It sounds like you guys are ready, too. Just stay safe!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2013, 6:06pm

Post #25 of 84 (170 views)
Shortcut
Hey Evey! [In reply to] Can't Post

*slides tall glass down the bar* Going to have a Dr. Who marathon this weekend?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.