Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Favorite Hobbit Actor
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 3:33pm

Post #26 of 34 (119 views)
Shortcut
Is it Everard or Odo Proudfoot? [In reply to] Can't Post

I looked online and found Noel Appleby credited as both!

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 8 2013, 3:46pm

Post #27 of 34 (116 views)
Shortcut
It is Everard Proudfoot [In reply to] Can't Post

Although, in the books, there was an Everard Took and a Odo Proudfoot, Appleby is listed in the credits as Everard Proudfoot.

useful reference: LOTR Movies - Characters/Actors - Hobbits

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Feb 8 2013, 3:54pm)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 3:49pm

Post #28 of 34 (122 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked his character :)

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 8 2013, 4:47pm

Post #29 of 34 (113 views)
Shortcut
This isn't easy... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Sean Astin - Nailed Sam.
2. Martin Freeman - I could not have wished for a better Bilbo.
3. Billy Boyd - Brilliant Pippin.
4. Ian Holm - I loved his performance. Who would ever forget, "I don't know half of you..." said by him?
5. Dominic Monaghan - I liked Merry, but I always preferred Pippin.
6. Elijah Wood - It's not a case of not liking him either, but he wasn't Frodo for me; not really.

Honourable mentions: Rosy and Proudfoot. Too little of their characters in LotR to be arranged in a list.

In the end, I love all my hobbits!

s ofereode, isses swa mg - that has passed, so may this.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 8 2013, 5:06pm

Post #30 of 34 (111 views)
Shortcut
Hobbits and LOTR short list [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbits:
Martin
Elijah / Sean
Dom
Ian
Billy

LOTR:
Ian McKellan
Bernard Hill
Sean Bean
Karl Urban
David Wenham
Viggo
John Bach (Madril)
Brad Dourif

And that little girl who plays Rohan's Freyda was brilliant.
So ,many great perfromances buit these stand out

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Feb 8 2013, 5:10pm)

dik-dik
Lorien

Feb 9 2013, 11:36pm

Post #31 of 34 (76 views)
Shortcut
re: What is your list of favorite hobbit actors? [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems my preferences are quite different from the majority here. Tongue Going by both performance and looks, I would place Elijah Wood first, no contest. Then Ian Holm whose rendition I also loved. Both of them stand out for me among the others (along with Andy Serkis's Gollum), and just became their character for me. Sean Astin would be next, followed by Dominic Monaghan. Good performances as far as I was concerned, but they didn't quite match the appeal and incredible range of the first three. My vote for # 5 would be Billy Boyd, who was just average for me, and I'd currently place Martin Freeman last. Maybe my opinion will change after seeing movies 2 and 3, but right now I'm afraid he's my least favourite among the listed hobbit actors. Unsure

sevilodorf
Gondor

Feb 10 2013, 3:03am

Post #32 of 34 (60 views)
Shortcut
McKellan/ Mortenson/ Serkis// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

dreamflower
Lorien

Feb 11 2013, 4:07pm

Post #33 of 34 (55 views)
Shortcut
Hobbits and hobbit actors [In reply to] Can't Post

I would pretty much agree with your list, except I would move Elijah up to tie with Sean in 2nd place. A lot of the success that both of them had in the role was due to their great on-screen chemistry, and I think either of them might have been less successful if they had been cast with someone else.

Martin Freeman knocked Bilbo out of the ball park. He made me believe he was the hobbit who grew into the Bilbo we saw in LotR. He made me believe that he was both the quintessential Baggins and the ultimate Took in the same body. He made me believe that he was related to the Frodo, Pippin and Merry we saw in LotR. It was BRILLIANT!

As I said, I think both Sean and Elijah deserve the number two spot, and they completely carried their parts of LotR. Even when Elijah was playing out scenarios written for him that were OOC for book-Frodo, I still caught that inner dignity of book-Frodo. And Sean was Sam, especially in RotK (for which I have always felt he should have recieved a supporting actor nomination). The two of them together were wonderful.

I have to say Billy and Dom got shorted. Of course in such a huge undertaking and with such a large cast, some characters would get shorted. But Billy had a little more opportunity to stretch his wings as Pippin than Dom did for Merry (even in the EE). What impressed me about Billy's performance was how young he could look. In the scene in RotK when he realizes that Faramir has seen Frodo and Sam is priceless--he manages to show in one glance his joy at the news, his love and loyalty for Frodo, and look so young and innocent at the same time! Having seen Dom in other roles, I know that he could have brought much more to Merry if he had been given more to work with. It's truly a shame that PJ felt the need to cut out the Conspiracy. I regret even more so that he felt that there was no time for Merry and Pippin to even have a brief conversation with Frodo once they got to Rivendell. Ah well! That's a little OT.

And Ian Holm was truly quite brilliant as the older Bilbo, but lacked the screen time to make more of the role. Like Dom, he got shorted.

dreamflower
Lorien

Feb 11 2013, 4:13pm

Post #34 of 34 (73 views)
Shortcut
Andy Serkis [In reply to] Can't Post

Is in a class by himself! He was AMAZING as Gollum! I don't really think of him as one of the hobbits--Gollum was once a hobbit, but no longer was by the time of the films--he may not have become a wraith, but he had evolved into something that wasn't really a hobbit either.

But I think that Andy Serkis should have definitely gotten a supporting actor nom this time round. (And probably should have had one for his previous turn as Gollum as well. But I suppose CGI actors don't get the proper respect. You never see anyone nominated for voice acting in animation, either!)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.