Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's John William's birthday, let's have a listening party
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 8 2013, 3:20pm

Post #1 of 40 (368 views)
Shortcut
It's John William's birthday, let's have a listening party Can't Post

There's just so much to enjoy from his music. I can remember way back in the day when the Boston Pops (led by him) would do Star Wars music and it just seemed so hip!

Jurassic Park was one of the scores my kid's and I listened to. Here's the opening credit music

And who doesn't love Hedwig's Theme?

And I love when music is part of the plot (not in the 'let's sing a song' sort of way): The Conversation

And let's not forget his non-movie work: Olympic Fanfare and Theme

What's your favorite William's music?

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Feb 8 2013, 3:25pm)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 4:10pm

Post #2 of 40 (160 views)
Shortcut
Little Johnny Williams [In reply to] Can't Post

He did the theme music for several TV shows way back when (in the 60's), credited as Johnny Williams; including Lost in Space, Land of the Giants, and Time Tunnel. He also did the opening riff to Henry Mancini's Peter Gunn theme, and who can forget Fiddler on the Roof and Jaws!

My favorite though is The Empire Strikes Back. I've listened to that so often my CD is wearing out, time to buy a new one! So I will listen to William's music all day today, in honor Smile

Thanks!

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 8 2013, 4:43pm

Post #3 of 40 (155 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know that about the tv shows [In reply to] Can't Post

but somehow, Lost in Space seems perfectly John Williams to me.

I have some Star Wars music but somehow, I never actually want to press 'play' on it. It works well for the movies. I just don't quite enjoy listening to it. Or maybe it's *when* I'm usually listening... at work. (with headphones) Maybe it's just not good music for creative endeavors.

I had been listening during one spring when I realized the cardinal outside my window almost seemed to be singing notes from the Imperial March. What do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buo5h5lLcpw

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 8 2013, 4:45pm

Post #4 of 40 (150 views)
Shortcut
Love John Williams [In reply to] Can't Post

Our local symphony every so many years does a John Williams spectacular. They did it a few years ago and are doing again this year. It's a lot of fun. They play all the famous John Williams scores and people are encouraged to dress up as any character from movies related to his music. My family and I will be going again this year!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 4:49pm

Post #5 of 40 (144 views)
Shortcut
That sounds like so much fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you dress up too?

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 8 2013, 4:57pm

Post #6 of 40 (143 views)
Shortcut
Of course, that's half of the fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

My kids and I all dressed up as Harry Potter and Star Wars characters. We will have to do different characters this year.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 8 2013, 5:07pm

Post #7 of 40 (139 views)
Shortcut
does anyone ever show up as the shark? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 8 2013, 6:32pm

Post #8 of 40 (137 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen the shark yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

I may try it this year, sounds hilarious. Specially as I'm driving downtown to the theater.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 8 2013, 7:10pm

Post #9 of 40 (138 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday John!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

What an excellent idea to celebrate his birthday, Magpie Smile

My absolute favorite of his pieces has to be Across the Stars from Star Wars II. It's sweeping, epic, grandiose, intimate, dark, tragic, and a whole host of other descriptions. It's perfect. Heart

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 8 2013, 7:32pm

Post #10 of 40 (145 views)
Shortcut
Happy birthday Mr. Williams [In reply to] Can't Post

Dare I say it, two of my favourite John Williams' compositions are from Episode 3:

Padme's Destiny (a slightly clipped version)

and Anakin vs Obi-Wan

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Feb 8 2013, 7:35pm)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 8 2013, 8:00pm

Post #11 of 40 (134 views)
Shortcut
Cue the Superman Main Theme - [In reply to] Can't Post

one of my favorite fanfares by John Williams. I also love the jazz elements in HP: Prisoner of Azkaban and Tintin. Especially the way Williams blends those elements with late Romanticism and Medieval motets. And have I mentioned Indiana Jones? In addition to Star Wars, E.T., Close Encounters, Jaws, and heaps of others I'm forgetting at the moment.

It's also some of my Hobbit's favorite music - Beamer's, too.

So a very happy birthday indeed, John Williams!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 9:02pm

Post #12 of 40 (130 views)
Shortcut
John Williams [In reply to] Can't Post

What a body of work this guy has. This is a good idea...I have quite a few of his works. Thanks for those choices, too.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 8 2013, 10:26pm

Post #13 of 40 (141 views)
Shortcut
Both of those are excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think there are any pieces of music from Episode 3 that I don't like. And there's certainly very little from the film as a whole that I dislike.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 8 2013, 10:46pm

Post #14 of 40 (126 views)
Shortcut
or... instead of dressing up like a shark [In reply to] Can't Post

you could dress up like a person being eaten by a shark. That might require you being in a bathing suit, though!

How about dressing up like Devil's Tower? Or make it look like one side of your face is sunburned.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 8 2013, 10:49pm

Post #15 of 40 (124 views)
Shortcut
a good example of Williams [In reply to] Can't Post

the description 'accessible' came to mind this morning. His work is just a delight to listen to.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 8 2013, 10:51pm

Post #16 of 40 (124 views)
Shortcut
I love the first one [In reply to] Can't Post

the second is one of the reasons I don't listen at work. :-) It suits the scene well but isn't conducive to working creatively for me.

Bellerock
Rivendell

Feb 9 2013, 1:21am

Post #17 of 40 (115 views)
Shortcut
A question: [In reply to] Can't Post

I love John Williams. Star Wars is one of the first sound tracks I ever owned, and I played that record over and over until I really annoyed my parents <smile>. But a question: Did John Williams compose Fiddler on the Roof? I am, admittedly, no expert, but that doesn't sound like his work at all to me. Or am I thinking of the wrong musical?

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 9 2013, 1:36am

Post #18 of 40 (119 views)
Shortcut
From what I gather, [In reply to] Can't Post

And after some hasty research BlushIt appears he did an adaptation of the score for the 1971 movie, from music composed by Jerry Bock for the 1964 musical. So not composed by Mr. Williams.

My apologies, someone else had told me that he composed the score, and I didn't double-check.

Bellerock
Rivendell

Feb 9 2013, 1:43am

Post #19 of 40 (114 views)
Shortcut
Adapations [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the information. I never realized that Williams did an adaptation of Fiddler on the Roof.

It's always interesting to hear how one composer can expand on the ideas of another. Sort of like what Howard Shore did with Misty Mountains Cold. I don't think Shore composed the original melody, but he was able to put his own touch on it.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 9 2013, 2:32am

Post #20 of 40 (115 views)
Shortcut
Happy B-day Mr. Williams! [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course my first love was Star Wars (now called A new Hope Unsure it will always be Star Wars to me) I wore that record out Laugh

The music from Close Encounters of the Third Kind is not only lovely and dramatic, but it plays an integral part of the story. Love this scene where the scientists are trying to communicate with the Mother Ship. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4PYI6TzqYk It gives me goosebumps.Smile

I think some of his later music is a bit too John Williams-y (sounds a lot like recycled earlier works) but when he's inspired, he's still got it!

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

(This post was edited by zarabia on Feb 9 2013, 2:34am)

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 9 2013, 3:09am

Post #21 of 40 (105 views)
Shortcut
lol... [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspect you did not click on my link to "The Conversation"... correct?

;-)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 9 2013, 4:08am

Post #22 of 40 (102 views)
Shortcut
Haha! I thought you meant... [In reply to] Can't Post

this The Conversation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conversation I've always heard a lot about it, but I've never seen it. I knew it was directed by Francis Ford Coppola, who has a working relationship with both Spielberg and Lucas, so I thought maybe Williams did the music for The Conversation as well. Blush

Anyway, I was in a hurry and didn't know if I'd be able to get back online tonight. I just wanted to post a bit of Close Encounters, which is where my mind went immediately. But I must always remember the immortal words of Treebeard: "Don't be hasty." Laugh

And besides, you know what they say about great minds. Smile Don't know what that has to do with me, thoughLaughTongue

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 9 2013, 5:20am

Post #23 of 40 (143 views)
Shortcut
Close Encounters is one of my favorite films [In reply to] Can't Post

When we vacationed in the Black Hills, I lobbied for going a bit further to visit Devil's Tower. (we did)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2013, 6:18am

Post #24 of 40 (101 views)
Shortcut
Cool! Devil's Tower is definitely on my must-see list. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Feb 11 2013, 12:00am

Post #25 of 40 (77 views)
Shortcut
That's relatively common with films, I think [In reply to] Can't Post

For example, if watch the movie Chicago, it will list the composer/arranger as Danny Elfman, but the score is actually, I think, older than he is. But to adapt a musical score to a movie, you want a composer who is both familiar with the film industry and familiar with arranging other works.

‎"When we can take green from grass, blue from heaven, and red from blood, we have already an enchanter's power—upon one plane; and the desire to wield that power in the world
external to our minds awakes."
--J. R. R. Tolkien

Mozart and Chocolate

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.