Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 8 2013, 7:46am

Post #1 of 20 (255 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Greetings fellow TORn Walkers! I'm burning the midnight oil with this post; today was busy! So how has this past week of exercising been?

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Miles covered last week: 197.57
Cumulative miles: 10592.3
Miles along the journey: 706.15
Miles out of Rivendell: 309.15

Dark. Yep, definitely dark in here. Forget the Road going on and on; this forest is going on and on!

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 8
Cumulative miles: 459
Goal: There and Back Again!

Same old, same old. Beamer and I are in the foothills of the Misty Mountains, climbing toward a rather noisy storm...

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 10
Cumulative miles: 458
Goal: Group Challenge

I also have arithmancer's miles for this week: 23. She wanted to report it before the storm hits the Northeastern US. Speaking of which, stay safe to all of you in that part of the world!

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 8 2013, 3:14pm

Post #2 of 20 (155 views)
Shortcut
My third week... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is my progress for my third week:

Miles covered this week: 38.4
Cumulative miles: 89.4
Goal: There and Back Again!

Far to go....

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 8 2013, 5:08pm

Post #3 of 20 (150 views)
Shortcut
I hope all our Walkers aren't walking in storms! [In reply to] Can't Post

This has been quite a week for storms in the US. I'm sitting in about 11 inches of snow from overnight. WORK WAS CANCELLED!!! :D

*clears voice* I mean... I was saddened to learn that I couldn't go to work today *pumps fist*

SO... I've been shoveling and knocking all the snow off my dragon bush... which is now higher than roof line. If I don't knock off snow and ice, the dragon becomes a ferret.

I'm still working on getting my walking strength up now that my achilles tendon is trying to cooperate. It's still quick to remind me there could be impending doom if I wear the wrong shoes or push too hard, but I've got a trip coming up in a couple of weeks that will involve LOTS of walking and funky shoes... so exercising is essential.

Gandalf, Bilbo and I are on the forest road between the Misty Mountains and Rivendell on our way back to the Last Homely House. It'll be nice to rest in that most inviting refuge.

Thanks lots for keeping us on the road, Arandiel! GET SOME SLEEP :) And I hope our fellow walkers and you have a fantastic week!

Miles covered: 20
Cumulated miles: 1711
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 8 2013, 7:38pm

Post #4 of 20 (148 views)
Shortcut
What a start! [In reply to] Can't Post

Almost 90 miles in three weeks - you'll be in Rivendell in no time!

Hmm, I wonder where you and gramma will cross paths...Smile

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 8 2013, 7:44pm

Post #5 of 20 (143 views)
Shortcut
Any chance you could send a bit of it our way? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a few inches of snow... we'll take really good care of it! sigh. I hate droughts.

Those juniper bushes resemble the ones we used to have in front of our house. "Dragon" is right - ours took chains, a car and a trailer hitch to remove!

Stay warm and safe, gramma, and let us know how many snow-shoveling miles you get!

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 8 2013, 8:10pm

Post #6 of 20 (151 views)
Shortcut
I have no idea where I am... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. must have gotten lost... Tongue I hope gramma will wave to me when our paths cross!

My aim would be to do over 40 miles every week, but so far the weather has been against me. And next week are school holidays here, so probably I won't get very far.

I hope everyone stays safe with the snow storms! Feel free to send some snow my way! Smile

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 10 2013, 12:00am

Post #7 of 20 (131 views)
Shortcut
Miles for this week [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I keep forgetting to post on Thursday, but here it goes:

Miles to contribute to the group: 24
My total miles: 134
Goal: There and Back Again

I'm out of the Barrow Downs; good thing I didn't stop and try to take a nap. Not sure Tom Bombadil would be available to help me. I'm just outside on Bree. Ahead is the intersection of the Great East Road and the Greenway. I'm looking forward to get to Bree, get to sleep at the Inn, and meet Mr. Butterbur. I hope he remembers my reservation!

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 5:20am

Post #8 of 20 (129 views)
Shortcut
No worries! [In reply to] Can't Post

Everybody posts when they can here at the Walk; the only "deadline" is that it's easier for me not to have to go back to the previous WtR once I get the new one up.

And I'm glad you made it safely past the Barrow-Downs! Watch out, though; I hear Bree has some rather shifty characters about. Wink

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 10 2013, 12:33pm

Post #9 of 20 (126 views)
Shortcut
That's quite a [In reply to] Can't Post

big bush you've got there! Glad to hear your injuries have healed & you're walking again!

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 10 2013, 12:40pm

Post #10 of 20 (131 views)
Shortcut
I've walked with my dog every day this week [In reply to] Can't Post

but not too far. My heels & knees are a bit sore but not too bad. Now I need to find an indoor aerobics class. The place I was going dropped my favorite format (step) so I'm looking into joining a gym. The classes are easier on my heels & I prefer them to walking when the weather is hot or the roads are icy.

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Feb 10 2013, 8:23pm

Post #11 of 20 (123 views)
Shortcut
Week 6 [In reply to] Can't Post

My work schedule has returned to normal, so getting out regularly is going to be easier now. I have yet to get over the first main hurdle; getting my body to accept that regular exercise is our new normal. I hope to be back to double digit miles totals in a few weeks.

Miles this week: 5.75
Total Miles: 104.02
Personal Goal: Erebor contributing to group
Goal Mileage: 23.92 (943.08 to go)

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 10 2013, 11:48pm

Post #12 of 20 (111 views)
Shortcut
*high five* They add up, don't they? :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 11 2013, 12:04am

Post #13 of 20 (110 views)
Shortcut
Let's keep track :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm about 16 miles from Rivendell on my return journey from The Mountain, and you're outside of Bree on your way TO Rivendell! I'll keep an eye out for you :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 11 2013, 12:06am

Post #14 of 20 (113 views)
Shortcut
Luckily, Barliman [In reply to] Can't Post

ALWAYS has room at the Pony :D Have a nifty stay!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 11 2013, 12:08am

Post #15 of 20 (114 views)
Shortcut
Injuries to the feet, knees and hips [In reply to] Can't Post

seem to take FOREVER to "heel" up since we tend to use them constantly... but I'm so glad you're finally on the mend. I'll bet you all my lembas your pup is happy, too! ;)

Have a great week, m'dear!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 11 2013, 12:10am

Post #16 of 20 (111 views)
Shortcut
Normalcy!? What's that like? [In reply to] Can't Post

*winkie, wink* That's the beauty of our Walk... we do it at our own pace and when it fit our normals, new or old! Have a great week!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 11 2013, 5:23am

Post #17 of 20 (110 views)
Shortcut
Keep recovering well, sherlock [In reply to] Can't Post

Slow and easy wins the race, right? I hope you and your dog have an easier time of it as you get better.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 11 2013, 5:28am

Post #18 of 20 (108 views)
Shortcut
I like the plan [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't feel like 'progress' or 'fun' when you have to ramp up slowly, but I find that I'm much happier (my feet certainly are!) when I take the time. Dangit. So hang in there, Joe; you'll get to where you want to be!

Iolani
Rivendell

Feb 13 2013, 12:07am

Post #19 of 20 (107 views)
Shortcut
Jeez, I'm tardy again! (I'm going to get eaten by a spider...) [In reply to] Can't Post

I did NOT mean to be this late! Sorry guys! My "schedule" (ahem) has been rather hectic. Busy blogging and studying and writing...and exercising. So here is my stats for last week! By the way, it snowed all day today, and it is so gorgeous outside!!

miles last week: 10.8
cumulative: 872.4
goal: There and Back Again Group Challenge!!

Hope you guys are all doing well, and staying healthy! (My dad is getting a cold. I hope the rest of the family doesn't get it....)

Keep going guys!!SlyHeart

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 13 2013, 3:32am

Post #20 of 20 (146 views)
Shortcut
No worries! [In reply to] Can't Post

RL gets that way. Enjoy the snow! (don't suppose you could send any this way...Smile)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.