Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Favorite Hobbit Actor
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The White Wizard
The Shire

Feb 7 2013, 10:20pm

Post #1 of 34 (946 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Hobbit Actor Can't Post

What is your list of favorite hobbit actors? My personal one is: 1. Martin Freeman. (He just was a perfect Bilbo.) 2. Sean Austin. (Another perfect hobbit. He did a tremendous job of Sam.) 3. Billy Boyd. (He provided good comic relief throughout all three movies and did a great job as Pippin.) 4. Dominic Monaghan. (Another very good job.) 5. Elijah Wood. (Not that I didn't like him. He just didn't make me fall in love with the character as much as the others. Part of that is surely because he has an extremely difficult role as Frodo whose emotions are extremely hard to portray.). 6. Ian Holm. (Once again, it's not that I didn't like. He just had a more limited role and his character was not developed nearly as much as the other hobbits'.)

(This post was edited by The White Wizard on Feb 7 2013, 10:28pm)

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 7 2013, 10:24pm

Post #2 of 34 (500 views)
Shortcut
Nice [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Freeman really shone
I appreciated what Sean Astin did after the first couple of viewings, so he came up in the standings
Elijah Wood was good.

These three are of critical importance. If your leads have no presence, you don't have a film.

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 7 2013, 10:25pm

Post #3 of 34 (498 views)
Shortcut
I agree, [In reply to] Can't Post

1.Young Bilbo, Martin Freeman was fantastic.
2. Sean Astin 3.Billy Boyd, 4.Dominic Monaghan.5.Elijah Wood 6.Ian Holm

(This post was edited by Eowyn3 on Feb 7 2013, 10:31pm)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Feb 7 2013, 10:47pm

Post #4 of 34 (537 views)
Shortcut
My top 10 LOTR/Hobbit performances (thus far) [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Ian McKellen as Gandalf. Just perfect.
2) Martin Freeman as Bilbo. Something of a revelation.
3) Andy Serkis as Gollum.
4) Bernard Hill as Theoden
5) Ken Stott as Balin
6) David Wenham as Faramir
7) Sylvester McCoy as Radagast
8) John Rhys-Davies as Gimli/Treebeard
9) Christopher Lee as Saruman
10) Brad Dourif as Grima Wormtongue

Honourable mentions for Armitage, Bean, Astin, Nesbitt, Humphries, Mortensen, Blanchett and many, many others. To be honest the whole cast is brilliant so far, in my opinion. Even characters who are entirely different from their book counterparts (e.g. John Noble's Denethor) were brilliantly acted.

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Feb 7 2013, 10:47pm)

Lindele
Gondor

Feb 7 2013, 10:53pm

Post #5 of 34 (493 views)
Shortcut
This list is missing something... [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite Hobbit actor, by leaps and bounds, is Andy Serkis.
He should've won an Oscar ages ago.
AGES.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 7 2013, 11:07pm

Post #6 of 34 (464 views)
Shortcut
Can we expand that to actors in LOTR or The Hobbit? [In reply to] Can't Post

As opposed to just actors playing hobbits?

If so, I'd actually have to say my favorite actor is (ha! no one sees this coming!) Bret McKenzie. Lovely guy, and I love the progression from Figwit to Lindir. Makes me smile big every time I see him.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 7 2013, 11:15pm

Post #7 of 34 (466 views)
Shortcut
Among my favorite Hobbit actors [In reply to] Can't Post

which includes:
Martin Freeman
Ian Holm
Elijah Wood
Sean Astin
Billy Boyd
Dominic Monaghan

There aren't too many more to choose from! but I also liked the late Noel Appleby as Odo Proudfoot (ProudFEET!) He is also the Hobbit that glares at Gandalf as he is traveling through Hobbiton, then smiles at the fireworks (and gets frowned at by Mrs. Proudfoot :)

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

(This post was edited by Aragalen the Green on Feb 7 2013, 11:17pm)

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 8 2013, 12:25am

Post #8 of 34 (404 views)
Shortcut
Of course, [In reply to] Can't Post

You are so right. Andy Serkis is top notch and certainly Oscar material. I guess we forget he is a hobbit too.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 12:27am

Post #9 of 34 (403 views)
Shortcut
You are absolutley right! [In reply to] Can't Post

Andy Serkis is amazing!

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

imin
Valinor

Feb 8 2013, 12:27am

Post #10 of 34 (426 views)
Shortcut
Favourite actors [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Martin Freeman or (Andy Serkis if i can pick him - should have an Oscar!)
2. Ian Holm
3. Dominic Monagahn
4. Billy Boyd
5. Sean Astin
6. Elijah Wood

Favourite actor overall - Sean Bean, best actor and for me brought to life his character more than any other actor which is no small feat considering he had 1 movie to do it in and the number of other brilliant performances.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 8 2013, 1:01am

Post #11 of 34 (395 views)
Shortcut
Has to be [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Freeman. He really inhabits Bilbo.

Other actors: Has to be Christopher Lee. He is perfection as Saruman.

Nira
Lorien

Feb 8 2013, 2:11am

Post #12 of 34 (373 views)
Shortcut
Only hobbits and only based on acting quality in the lotr/hobbit movies, in order... [In reply to] Can't Post

Andy Serkis, Martin Freeman, Sean Astin, Ian Holm, tie for the remaining 3 Billy, Dom, and Elijah.

That said, I can't watch enough of Dom, Billy, or Elijah in movies/shows/music, so apparently I don't even agree with myself. They are really great!

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Kassandros
Rohan

Feb 8 2013, 2:39am

Post #13 of 34 (343 views)
Shortcut
Serkis / Freeman / Wood / Holm [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Andy Serkis (if he counts)
2. Marin Freeman (tie)
2. Ian Holm (tie)
2. Elijah Wood (tie)
5. Sean Astin
6. Billy Boyd
7. Dominic Monaghan.

I like em all, though.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

GloryBox
Bree

Feb 8 2013, 2:48am

Post #14 of 34 (340 views)
Shortcut
Sean Bean, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Quite right -- only 1 film (plus a great script), and his delivery totally changed my perception of Boromir.

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Feb 8 2013, 3:28am

Post #15 of 34 (337 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit thespians [In reply to] Can't Post

My nominees are:

(In order of appearance by movie release.order:). Ian Holm, Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Billy Boyd, Dominick Monaghan, Andy Serkis, and Martin Freeman. I omitted those cast in minor roles like Rosie, Odo Proudfoot, etc.

Difficulty points go to larger Hobbit roles. Roles that were main characters throughout an entire trilogy get more points from me.

That pits Elijah Wood v. Martin Freeman. For me, the winner is Martin Freeman. But I liked Elijah's performance as well.

Sean Astin was quite nearly the star of ROTK. So he comes next.

Billy and Dom each starred in his own arc in ROTK. Billy wins that one, for me.
Dom was terrific but Billy really shined in that one. His song gave me the chills.
Andy Serkis never took a starring role anywhere, except the ROTK prologue. Other than that, he played a key supporting role in TTT, ROTK, and AUJ. For me, his role was so huge and his performance so memorable that he may have stolen the show. But for me Martin stood on equal footing with him.

Ian Holm played an important supporting role, but never a starring one.

In light of the above, my rankings go as follows, highest to lowest:

Martin Freeman
Andy Serkis
Elijah Wood
Sean Astin
Billy Boyd
Dom Monaghan
Ian Holm

Bilbo Baggins is the ultimate and quintessential Hobbit, and all the other Hobbit characters are indebted to him. For me, Martin nailed that role. For me, Martin Freeman played his Hobbit role to perfection.

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 8 2013, 5:45am

Post #16 of 34 (310 views)
Shortcut
My favourite Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

... is Martin Freeman. I didn't expect that when I first went to see AUJ, but well, that's how it turned out. Second favourite would be Billy Boyd and third probably Sean Astin and Elijah Wood jointly. Then Dominic Monaghan and, last, Ian Holm.

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 8 2013, 5:47am

Post #17 of 34 (301 views)
Shortcut
Oooh yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I must admit, when I first saw him in AUJ I squealed a little Blush

OK, he might not be my absolute favourite, but I do like him a lot, both as Figwit and as Lindir.

Gelir
Bree

Feb 8 2013, 5:53am

Post #18 of 34 (313 views)
Shortcut
Favorite hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Freeman is by far my favorite - it's not at all close. I am amazed by how much I love Bilbo.

After that, I don't really have clear rankings. Maybe Sam and Pippin next, but I do like them all.

Elutherian
Rohan

Feb 8 2013, 6:21am

Post #19 of 34 (292 views)
Shortcut
Ian Holm [In reply to] Can't Post

But I love what Martin Freeman did, and he's a close second. Followed by Sean Astin, Elijah Wood, and a 5th place tie between Billy Boyd and Dominic Monahagan.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Elutherian
Rohan

Feb 8 2013, 6:32am

Post #20 of 34 (300 views)
Shortcut
I like this idea too... [In reply to] Can't Post

Mine would be:

1. Ian McKellan as Gandalf (really, who could possibly have a different #1?)
2. Andy Serkis as Gollum/Smeagol
3. Sean Bean as Borimir
4. Bernard Hill as King Theoden
5. Christopher Lee as Saruman
6. Ian Holm as Bilbo Baggins
7. Sean Astin as Samwise Gamgee
8. Ken Scott as Balin
9. Cate Blanchett as Galadriel
10. Miranda Otto as Eowyn

EDIT: I'd also like to clarify my above post to say that Sean Astin is a close second to Ian Holm in terms of favorite Hobbit performances, but Martin Freeman is a close second in terms of playing Bilbo Baggins.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

(This post was edited by Elutherian on Feb 8 2013, 6:34am)

namarie
Rohan

Feb 8 2013, 7:45am

Post #21 of 34 (294 views)
Shortcut
At this moment for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Freeman is the favorite hobbit so here is my list:

1. Martin Freeman
2. Ian Holm
3.Elijah Wood
4.Sean Austin
5.Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan

Also Andy Serkis but if I would have to choose another favorite actor that played a hobbit it would be Noel Appleby who played Everard Proudfoot. His appearance in LOTR is short but I love his scenes and he always makes me laugh.

“The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there!”

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Feb 8 2013, 8:53am

Post #22 of 34 (281 views)
Shortcut
hobbits [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know exactly who to reply to per se but I noticed a lot of people not sure whether or not to include Andy Serkis in the hobbit list as far as actual hobbits-

Gollum/Smeagol IS a hobbit. You see him before the ring took a hold of him in the beginning of ROTK and he is a water friendly hobbit but he is most definitely a hobbit-just because the ring corrupted his heart, and he lived an unnatural long life filled with the ring poisoning him and eating away at his heart and his struggles to survive scarring and thinning his body doesn't change what RACE he is.

So IMO he is still a hobbit (despite being a very strange one) and for those of you who aren't sure to count him he is very much deserving to be placed in a strictly hobbits list Wink

My favorite performance of hobbits is DEFINITELY Martin Freeman as Bilbo-absolutely amazing performance! Tied is Andy Serkis as Gollum-it isn't special effects-it's the way he brings the character to life-You don't watch an actor named Andy Serkis playing Gollum in a movie-he WAS gollum there is no doubt about it. The moment that camera started rolling Andy Serkis was gone and Gollum was there. I am seriously astounded that he hasn't won a supporting actor award for his performance as Gollum.

So basically, I think I liked Andy Serkis's performance much better, however because I am not fond of the character himself, I would say that MF as Bilbo is slightly more likeable to me-but to pick which one performed better-that would be very very difficult to do :)

As for the whole movie itself-it is way too hard to pick the best performances-PJ cast a group of phenomenal actors who embodied their characters so well it is absolutely genius. But I have to say that Ian McKellen as Gandalf is much like how I described AS as Gollum above-when that camera starts rolling, you see Gandalf. Plain and simple.

I loved how well the actors made us believe that there is no doubt we are in Middle Earth! Smile

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

Rolfina
Rivendell

Feb 8 2013, 12:02pm

Post #23 of 34 (261 views)
Shortcut
my favourites [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Freeman, he is a great Hobbit AND a great actor
Elijah, not the best hobbit, but love him as an actor and adore him so much, just want to put a ribbon on him and put him on my shelf and adore him all day
Rosie Cotton because she is a girl and she is pretty, and very Hobbity
And Katie Jackson as the tiny Hobbit with the big eyes in FotR, SO cute, can't wait to see hier in the EE, all grown up

The White Wizard
The Shire

Feb 8 2013, 1:46pm

Post #24 of 34 (247 views)
Shortcut
Great Point [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a great point. For some reason, I had forgotten about Andy Serkis. Remembering him my list would be:
1. Andy Serkis
2. Martin Freeman
3. Sean Astin
4. Billy Boyd
5. Dominic Monaghan
6. Elijah Wood
7. Ian Holm

For favorite actors in all of LOTR and the Hobbit it would be:
1. Ian Mckellan
2. Christopher Lee
3. Andy Serkis
4. Martin Freeman
5. Viggo Mortenson
6. Sean Astin
7. Richard Armitage
8. Miranda Otto
9. Billy Boyd
10. John Rhys-Davies (tie)
10. Hugo Weaving (tie)

(This post was edited by The White Wizard on Feb 8 2013, 1:50pm)

Lonely Mountain
The Shire

Feb 8 2013, 3:14pm

Post #25 of 34 (214 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Hobbits [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Martin Freeman as Bilbo
2. Billy Boyd as Pippin
3. Dominic Monaghan as Merry
4. Ian Holm as Bilbo

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.