The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Theoden V Denethor-Battle of the Fogies

barahir
The Shire

Dec 6 2007, 8:24pm

Post #1 of 13 (3955 views)
Shortcut
Theoden V Denethor-Battle of the Fogies Can't Post

Obvious choice here would be the battle-hardened Theoden who we actually see fight in the books and movies, Denethor in comparison didn't do much fighting in the books or movies, but i dont think he would be inept with a sword especially with constant war with the east and south.

tuff contest

So many strange things have chanced that to learn the praise of a fair lady under the loving strokes of a Dwarf's axe will seem no great wonder

Narya
The Shire

Dec 6 2007, 9:05pm

Post #2 of 13 (1508 views)
Shortcut
re Denethor v Theoden [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I would put my bet on Denethor. He came from a higher line; the blood of Numenor ran through his vains. He was strong, able to wrestle with Sauron through the Palantir (and while Sauron was able to manipulate what Denethor saw, Denethor was nonetheless strong enough to exert some measure of control, even though the Palantir was not rightfully his). I believe that Denethor would have been a most formidable opponent!

Even the wise cannot see all ends.

Tyler
Lorien

Dec 6 2007, 11:07pm

Post #3 of 13 (1443 views)
Shortcut
Theoden V Denethor [In reply to] Can't Post

When Denethor ran off a cliff Theoden whould win

Never doubt that a small group of peple can change the world indeed,that is the onely thing that ever has......Margaret mead

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2007, 4:47pm

Post #4 of 13 (1492 views)
Shortcut
I'm going with Denethor here [In reply to] Can't Post

He was a warrior in his younger days and still slept in mail and wielded a sword in later years, plus there's the Numenorean blood factor. And Denethor is ruthless in a way that Theoden (although tough-minded) is not.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wielder of Anduril
The Shire

Dec 7 2007, 11:45pm

Post #5 of 13 (1572 views)
Shortcut
I can't help, falling in love... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
When Denethor ran off a cliff Theoden whould win

Unless Denathor landed on him. Then it would be a draw.

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 10 2007, 5:56pm

Post #6 of 13 (1475 views)
Shortcut
I'd have to agree on the 'ruthless' factor [In reply to] Can't Post

So I'd go with Denethor too, in that respect.

vtboyarc
Lorien

Dec 13 2007, 6:54am

Post #7 of 13 (1412 views)
Shortcut
tough [In reply to] Can't Post

part of me wants to say Theoden, but I don't really know. I'm going to say, during Denethors earlier years, he would have won, but during the time of LotR, Theoden would have won.

Theres some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and its worth fighting for.

barahliofrohan
Rivendell

Dec 13 2007, 5:25pm

Post #8 of 13 (1436 views)
Shortcut
Theoden [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would be Theoden. He fought himself and let the army until the very end.

We have not seen anything of Denethor's fighting abilility.

Barahli of Rohan

Westu Eomer hal!

Goldberry
The Shire

Dec 19 2007, 10:38pm

Post #9 of 13 (1450 views)
Shortcut
Don't you think... [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't you think Theodin would just trample Denethor with his horse and be done with it?

Also...I hate to put this in such explicit terms...but if we're talking about movie Denethor, well, he's kind of whiny bitch, don't you think?

barahliofrohan
Rivendell

Dec 31 2007, 6:32pm

Post #10 of 13 (1337 views)
Shortcut
Good solution! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with your solution!

Hahahahaha!

Barahli of Rohan

Westu Eomer hal!

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 31 2007, 6:43pm

Post #11 of 13 (1532 views)
Shortcut
Theoden [In reply to] Can't Post

The two square off to fight. Denethor, who has slept, sat, showered, and everthing else in his armor for the past few weeks, opens his breastplate and nearly knocks Theoden down with a whiff of his inner mushroom. But Theoden, who has spent the past months in just such a fungal condition courtesy of Wormtongue, is used to such spore emission and stays on his feet. He then sprays Denethor with a 5.25% mixture of sodium hypochlorite and rinses with water. The attendands clean up what's left with a mop and a bucket.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

balinman
Rivendell

Nov 13 2009, 1:35am

Post #12 of 13 (3726 views)
Shortcut
Theoden V Denethor-Battle of the Fogies [In reply to] Can't Post

theoden would totally massacre denethor!

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 2:56pm

Post #13 of 13 (802 views)
Shortcut
theoden [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.