Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 5 2013, 5:33am

Post #26 of 52 (165 views)
Shortcut
The Lizzie Bennet Diaries [In reply to] Can't Post

I am totally sucked into this now. It's Pride and Prejudice told via youtube, twitter, tumblir, facebook, and a couple of mock websites. It's getting harder and harder to keep on top of it. LIzzie and Lydia have their own vlogs, and so does "Pemberly Digital". The big Lydia drama broke last week, first in a *comment* on Lydia's youtube video (the comment was advertising a hot sex tape featuring youtube star Lydia Bennet), and then heated up on twitter (as Charlotte frantically tried to contact Lizzie, who was at the Apple store because her phone had flaked out) before being addressed in a video the next day. This wild 21st-century way of telling a story just fascinates me. Along with thousands of fans commenting on the videos, characters in the story are commenting too. It's total immersion. Part of what makes it feel so real is that it's being told in real time. It's been going on almost a year now. The writers pay detailed attention to everything, because the fans do. For example, the fans noticed yesterday that Lizzie is no longer following Pemberly Digital on youtube or twitter, which means she won't know what the Darcys are doing.

And I'm learning a whole new vocabulary from fan comments. "Oh, the feels! Omg I can't the feels!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Feb 5 2013, 5:37am)

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 5 2013, 3:23pm

Post #27 of 52 (165 views)
Shortcut
Thanks to you, ADB, I'm totally hooked as well! [In reply to] Can't Post

You mentioned the LBD a while back, and naturally I had to check it out, too! Laugh

Although I don't follow the twitter and facebook stuff, I'm keeping up with the you tube stuff. It occurred to me to google Pemberly Digital once, when I still didn't realize all the venues they were using, and was pleasantly surprised that there is a website for PD. Brilliant! It's like looking at a real corporate website!

And their casting is spot on! The three girls really do look like sisters, and Gigi and Darcy look like siblings, too. The guy who plays George is a terrific mix of creepy attractiveness, if there is such a thing! Crazy What abs!
Oh the feels! Laugh

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 5 2013, 3:39pm

Post #28 of 52 (155 views)
Shortcut
I've felt the opposite [In reply to] Can't Post

I've felt as though the stuffy and entitled attitudes of the upstairs crowd was being held up to a subtle sort of ridicule, and that Fellowes was trying to show how the aristocracy and their country houses began slipping away in the 20th century as the ordinary people came to realize they were just as worthy.

There was the sub-plot about the maid learning to use a typewriter and then getting a job as a secretary, for example. And Tom, of course, with his revolutionary ideas meeting with Sybil, who I don't think was condescending but genuinely trying to help.

I also think there's been a fair amount of "see, they may be wealthy but they have problems too". And the whole story of Ethel highlights hypocrisy from the get-go.

The conflict between the more traditional servants (epitomized by Carson) and the younger ones is as vital a conflict as the one between upstairs and downstairs.

But, like all drama, what we see in it often reflects what we bring to it. Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 5 2013, 4:02pm

Post #29 of 52 (155 views)
Shortcut
your last statement... [In reply to] Can't Post

so true!

I'm fairly certain that my reactions to this show are very colored by my own attitudes and experiences.

:-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 5 2013, 4:21pm

Post #30 of 52 (159 views)
Shortcut
Are you following all the videos? [In reply to] Can't Post

Lizzie and Lydia have vlogs, and now Gigi is doing demos on the Pemberly Digital youtube channel, and some of the story is being told there.

And I got a big laugh at Gigi's twitter comment during the tour of San Francisco with LIzzie and Darcy: "This part of San Francisco is known for its shipping."

Wasn't Lizzie's last video heartbreaking?

Though I have to say this week was also a big climax for a web comic I've been following about Nathan Hale. It's been going on for several years, and right now Nathan is at the gallows, which makes all the Bennets' problems seem small by comparison. Someone on that site posted "Ow! Right in the feels!"

But back to LBD, yes the casting is amazing, all the sets of siblings. Bing Lee and Caroline Lee look alike too, as do Charlotte and Maria Lu.

Someone speculated that now that LIzzie is filming in the den, we might get to see her parents.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Feb 5 2013, 4:25pm)

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 5 2013, 7:31pm

Post #31 of 52 (165 views)
Shortcut
I only watch on you tube. [In reply to] Can't Post

Fortunately, they put up little icons of Lydia's and Gigi's videos at the end of Lizzie's or I never would have thought to look for them. I watched Maria's blogs but they were kind of boring and didn't have much to do with the story.

As for the filming in the den, I took it as a parallel to Mrs. Bennett being "indisposed" in the book after the Lydia/Wickham scandal broke. She's got her little "spa" set up in Lizzie's room, so Lizzie has to use the den. I don't really think the parents will let Lizzie post videos of them on you tube.

If these actors don't get some sort of award or other recognition for this work, well, that's just wrong. This program is as good or better than anything on tv, and done in such an interesting way.

Holla! Tongue

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Feb 5 2013, 11:03pm

Post #32 of 52 (144 views)
Shortcut
I haven't watched most of Maria's either. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there was some little piece of info that Lizzie got from them, but they were too tedious to watch.

You're probably right about Lizzie's parents. I am on the edge of my seat wondering how Darcy is going to save the day, since it clearly has to be something different than in the book.

There's a fan (not official) twitter account for Anne Elliot, who is apparently working at Pemberly Digital :-D

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2013, 11:13pm

Post #33 of 52 (157 views)
Shortcut
Finally finished the 2004 BSG series on Netflix! (no spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

I absolutely loved the ending, and I am looking forward to rewatching the series, as there are several things that I think I missed the first time around. It's rather like Lost in that aspect-- I am under the impression that the writers knew where they were going for the most part, throughout the majority of the show.

Overall, I was absolutely enthralled by the show.

‎"When we can take green from grass, blue from heaven, and red from blood, we have already an enchanter's power—upon one plane; and the desire to wield that power in the world
external to our minds awakes."
--J. R. R. Tolkien

Mozart and Chocolate

Kassandros
Rohan

Feb 5 2013, 11:23pm

Post #34 of 52 (164 views)
Shortcut
Not everything went as originally planned. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do believe that BSG was originally slated to be only three seasons, but was extended to four, so I imagine some changes, at least, were made.

I definitely enjoyed the earlier seasons more than the later ones, but overall I quite liked the show.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

imin
Valinor

Feb 6 2013, 12:44am

Post #35 of 52 (137 views)
Shortcut
Anyone watching the Netflix original - House of Cards? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 6 2013, 1:35am

Post #36 of 52 (137 views)
Shortcut
You might think that... [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't possibly comment.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Feb 6 2013, 2:16am

Post #37 of 52 (154 views)
Shortcut
Lincoln: very disappointed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mainly, I hated the script. Too many characters saying things that were so inappropriate it took me out of the movie. Main offenders:

* The earnest black soldier complaining about unequal pay (a totally mid-20th Century speech)

* Reciting the Gettysburg Address... it wasn't considered notable at the time, and only became an item for everyone to memorize in school much later. It's wildly unlikely that troops would be reciting it from memory 2 years after the event. It's a shallow movie gesture to say, "yeah, that Lincoln."

* Too much exposition by Mrs. L. She explained politics to Thaddeus Stevens, worries about her mental health to her husband, goes on about many things that the movie wants us to know but would never have been talked about in that way.

There were historical blunders (I grew up in Petersburg -- I know too much!), but I pretty much expect that in historical films.

It was also too long. It should have ended when Lincoln said good evening to his cabinet and left for the theatre. That would have been brilliant.

The actors all did a good job, though.

Patty
Immortal

Feb 6 2013, 9:13am

Post #38 of 52 (207 views)
Shortcut
I am more and more impressed with Michelle Dockery's acting.. [In reply to] Can't Post

She plays off her father especially well. Ever notice how much good acting is done in the library scenes?

Permanent address: Into the West

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 6 2013, 3:29pm

Post #39 of 52 (112 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

The library is where all the characters gather to discuss Important Issues, I suppose. I also like the way Mary has sort of become Robert's handler. Smile

imin
Valinor

Feb 6 2013, 4:45pm

Post #40 of 52 (115 views)
Shortcut
haha awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

I have only just started watching it yesterday but i think its really good. I am a big fan of Kevin Spacey and think he is perfect for this role. I like the actual idea for the show as well and so far really want him to succeed.

It was weird as yesterday was when i first noticed netflix advertising house of cards on TV. Though i did get the trailer for it after i finished watching the awesome Breaking Bad.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 6 2013, 6:59pm

Post #41 of 52 (120 views)
Shortcut
Good point. [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no earthquake in this film, but I think the tsunami and aftermath sequences could refresh strong memories among Cantabrians.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 6 2013, 9:37pm

Post #42 of 52 (98 views)
Shortcut
I watch scary [In reply to] Can't Post

movies often but that kid creeped me out more than anything!

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 6 2013, 9:40pm

Post #43 of 52 (98 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, [In reply to] Can't Post

I love how the women are all sticking together.

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 6 2013, 9:44pm

Post #44 of 52 (107 views)
Shortcut
I liked those & also [In reply to] Can't Post

Violet saying about Ethel "I guess she has an outfit for everything"or something like that referring to her different jobs.

sherlock
Gondor

Feb 6 2013, 9:54pm

Post #45 of 52 (120 views)
Shortcut
I will watch this but [In reply to] Can't Post

will wait to get it from Netflix. I think it will be worth it for the performances.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 6 2013, 10:22pm

Post #46 of 52 (108 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen "Upside Downton Abbey"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Brought to you by Sesame Street?

(Thanks to David Bratman for the link, and also for that to Me, Claudius.)

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 6 2013, 10:32pm

Post #47 of 52 (180 views)
Shortcut
No, I hadn't seen that. Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

How cute and clever! Sesame Street always has the last word Smile

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 7 2013, 2:37am

Post #48 of 52 (99 views)
Shortcut
I've actually just been watching the original. [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen the new one yet - I just heard about it for the first time a couple of days ago.

Silverlode

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 7 2013, 5:41am

Post #49 of 52 (77 views)
Shortcut
I like Jimmy Fallon's Downton Sixbey, which is back this week. Part 2 coming on now.// [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 7 2013, 6:19am

Post #50 of 52 (81 views)
Shortcut
I thought you meant the original, [In reply to] Can't Post

which is this one. Francis Urquhart is a legend!
If you haven't seen it, I couldn't recommend it highly enough - it's brilliant.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.