Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TH:AUJ BluRay Combopack Ripoff in USA

TheHutt
Gondor

Feb 6 2013, 3:47pm

Post #1 of 10 (995 views)
Shortcut
TH:AUJ BluRay Combopack Ripoff in USA Can't Post

Hello,

Am I the only one who thinks WB is actually ripping off US customers by offering just the combo packs of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey on BluRay?
The thing is, that Warner only lists the following discs:
- 3-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack for $35.99
- 5-Disc Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack for $44.95
- 2-Disc DVD Special Edition for $28.98.
All of these releases seem to include the DVD of TH:AUJ for some reason. And while I understand the comfort of a combo pack, I don't see any alternative for people who are not interested in the DVD: what for, if you already get the film on a superior medium, why pay extra for something you don't really need?

Whereas in Europe, for example, there will be 2-Disc BluRay releases (2D) and 4-Disc 3D BluRay releases - and while they also have a digital copy (as a downloadable code), they won't contain the unnecessary DVD disc.

So what do you think about the whole combo deal?

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 6 2013, 4:13pm

Post #2 of 10 (461 views)
Shortcut
Seems reasonable [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in the US, and own two relevant items to play movies on: a BluRay player that is hooked up to the TV at home, and a portable DVD player to amuse my kids in the car on long trips, which are an unavoidable aspect of our life. Until this latter dies, I do not consider it worthwhile to buy a BluRay-capable portable. Thus, I want the BluRay, in general, for the better quality of the picture, but also the DVD, for use in the car. So personally, I appreciate the BluRay+DVD packs, though I only became aware this option existed when I recently purchased "The Avengers".

Though for AUJ what I really want is just a 1 disc DVD. I plan to buy the fancy BluRay with all extras attached when the EE comes out. I can live with watching the plain DVD for a few months. Smile

Lindele
Gondor

Feb 6 2013, 4:18pm

Post #3 of 10 (442 views)
Shortcut
This is nothing new [In reply to] Can't Post

How is this a ripoff? Disney and WB have been doing this for years, giving you every possible format so that you don't have to buy it twice etc.
While I would never use the DVD, I understand that some people may want a DVD for portable use etc...who knows.
But I don't see why giving us all formats is a ripoff.

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 6 2013, 5:01pm

Post #4 of 10 (402 views)
Shortcut
I prefer the combo packs myself [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I use both the BluRay and the DVD in different players. It would be more expensive to buy them separately, so I'm very happy to have combo packs offered.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Feb 6 2013, 5:12pm

Post #5 of 10 (412 views)
Shortcut
EE! [In reply to] Can't Post

i just wish theyd release the EE straight away.

ill rent the 3d, then wait for the EE.

i agree its a ripoff, but for different reasons.

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Feb 6 2013, 9:13pm

Post #6 of 10 (262 views)
Shortcut
If anything... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say the prices are the ripoff. All of the usual DVD/BR's that come out are usually around $15-20 for just the DVD, $20-23 for just the Blu-Ray, and around $25 for the BR combo pack.

$36 seems like a lot for a movie with a few bonues features many of us have already seen.
Heck, I paid $60 for all three LOTR EE BluRays with all the bonus features.

It is what it is I guess.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2013, 10:59pm

Post #7 of 10 (227 views)
Shortcut
Those are suggested prices [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll probably be able to get them cheaper.

TheHutt
Gondor

Feb 6 2013, 11:15pm

Post #8 of 10 (210 views)
Shortcut
Well, I suppose... [In reply to] Can't Post

...a couple of months later, maybe in time for DOS, there will be a budget version of BluRay of AUJ available.

The message from WB is "buy it now for the price we charge now, or you won't get to see the DOS sneak peek". Even if it will be available later.

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 6 2013, 11:48pm

Post #9 of 10 (200 views)
Shortcut
This isn't surprising [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides, there's lots of places that discount these things.

bborchar
Rohan

Feb 8 2013, 4:44pm

Post #10 of 10 (164 views)
Shortcut
Suggested retail price is never the real price... [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazon will probably have it for less than $25 (it's a great way to force people to buy more in order to reach the $25 free shipping limit), and stores will have it for not much more than that. As others have stated, many people want all of the versions...I'm one of those people, as we also have dvd players in the car, but a blu-ray player in the house. I also have an iPhone that I occasionally put a movie on, so I will be fine with the triple combo pack.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.