Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Peter Jackson on DOS

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Feb 4 2013, 5:46pm

Post #1 of 11 (1618 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson on DOS Can't Post

Has anyone seen yesterdays TV 3 Firstline News ?!

I zapped in to late but there was PJ as guest talking a bit about whats coming up in DoS and some details about the storyline. But i only saw the last minute FrownFrownFrown

Which was interesting enough ! He mentioned that they have shoot a lot of scenes with Gandalf originally planed to be in AUJ. I know,nothing new or special ;) BUT he said that there are some key-scenes for the second movie which explain a lot concerning Gandalfs Backstory. He said something like "He is exploring dark crypts and also has to face a driven mad dwarf on a really creepy old fortress. " After that a short snip of the Carrock was shown and than the interview was over.

Really interesting to me how PJ plans to involve the Tombs in DoS..any ideas how that could work ?! Because so far i thought we would see that in the EE...

Just wanted to post it,maybe anyone else has seen the whole show...

(This post was edited by NoelGallagher on Feb 4 2013, 5:48pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2013, 7:19pm

Post #2 of 11 (832 views)
Shortcut
Hes referring to the [In reply to] Can't Post

Dol Guldur dungeons where he meets thrain, not the ringwraiths tombs, which might be in the EE.

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Feb 4 2013, 8:53pm

Post #3 of 11 (635 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe he eplores the tombs in the second film after he leaves the dwarves, but according to the Weta chronicles book he explores that with Radagast, so yeah maybe that's in the extended edition of the first film, and Gandalf encountering Thrain is in the second one.
But then how would that work, if Gandalf got the key and map off Thrain..... unless it's the opening flashback scene of the next film.

'I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.'
'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

adnan
Rivendell

Feb 4 2013, 9:25pm

Post #4 of 11 (607 views)
Shortcut
Someone! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope someone can post a link of those comments from PJ. I am quite thirsty for some DOS news!

Rivendell

Elutherian
Rohan

Feb 4 2013, 9:54pm

Post #5 of 11 (569 views)
Shortcut
Why can't Gandalf explore the tombs with Radagast in the second film? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Feb 4 2013, 10:03pm

Post #6 of 11 (514 views)
Shortcut
of course he can... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but its strange that the tombs are already in the artbook.
and no, PJ mentioned the tombs and Thrain separatly ;-)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2013, 5:00am

Post #7 of 11 (356 views)
Shortcut
its not going to be in the AUJ EE [In reply to] Can't Post

-Gandalf in the tombs/dol-guldur, Philippa Boyens has confirmed that the sequence will now be featured in DOS.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 5 2013, 6:55am

Post #8 of 11 (329 views)
Shortcut
The Tombs and Dol Guldur are seperate though. I was rather hoping that Tombs would [In reply to] Can't Post

be left in EE and Dol Guldur more focused on in Desolation of Smaug, hopefully with at least some of the Wraiths still being in Dol Guldur, like the one who attacked Radagast. . . but with Gandalf giving a more astounding responsive attack than Radagasts effective but subtle one.

In Reply To
-Gandalf in the tombs/dol-guldur, Philippa Boyens has confirmed that the sequence will now be featured in DOS.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Feb 5 2013, 2:27pm

Post #9 of 11 (259 views)
Shortcut
Great News [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the heads up. I am delighted to hear this confirmed. The art work for the tombs segment looked most impressive and as I had hoped, it looks like Gandalfs first visit to Dol Gulder and encounter with Thrain will echo the appendices but go real time.

I do not think it is to much of a stretch for Thrains back story up until his incarceration to act as the prologue to DOS because it adds depth to both the plot (how did Gandalf get the key and map and how did Azog know to be at Weathertop and what happened to Thrain at TBOA) and it gives momentum to the sub plot. The tombs may be done as exposition in the Beorn chapter. I have just re read the book chapter in which he warns the company he must leave them. In the movie when they ask him to stay he may explain what happened after he left Rivendell and as we heard in a vlog "I must leave I needs answers".

As an aside when I was in Glenorchy last week I sat in one of Beorns chairs which have been placed in the forest near paradise by the film company. That whole perspective thing really works so well.

I tried to save the shire , and it has been but not for me.

(This post was edited by Michelle Johnston on Feb 5 2013, 2:29pm)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2013, 2:38am

Post #10 of 11 (130 views)
Shortcut
the one which attacked Gandalf... [In reply to] Can't Post

was the Witch-king. I believe Miss Boyens was referring to both the tombs and dol-guldur but we'll see....we need a AUJ EE trailer!!

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty, oh will you please take me home!!

Vangalad
Lorien

Feb 6 2013, 11:40am

Post #11 of 11 (278 views)
Shortcut
We can not be entirely sure [In reply to] Can't Post

the one which attacked Gandalf... was the Witch-king.

Yes, in the council scene ,Galadriel says 'the dagger was made for the Witch king' but the wraith that attacked Radagast may not be him.
-Geeky observation- If you pay attention to the wraith's crown you will see that it is not the same crown that the Witch king wears in Weathertop in the trilogy...it rather belongs to another nazgul.

nazgulhttp://www.council-of-elrond.com/...on/images/nazgul.jpg
witch kinghttp://i4.photobucket.com/...witchkingresized.jpg

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.